AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 43 13.56%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 6.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 8.83%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 7.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 22 6.94%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 15 4.73%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 3.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 1.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 12 3.79%
1 out of 10 : Painful 134 42.27%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-07-19, 09:30   Link #541
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

When I think of a show Jumping the Shark, I think of a shift in spirit or style that's unfaithful to the original premise of the show. Honestly... To me, Endless Eight seems right up Haruhi's alley. It's sufficiently pseudo-scientific, weird, and unexpected. Didn't people complain when Someday In the Rain featured an entire segment of Yuki reading a book in an otherwise empty room? I see this as that kind of thing, enlarged by an order of magnitude.

It strikes me that several factors aligned over the past weeks -- Kyoto Animation's surprise airing of new material with no associated official information and their disregard for fan-made episode schedules, the deliberately varying art style in Endless Eight, and the expectations of many fans that season two would be exactly the same as season one (when is this ever the case in television?) -- to create a perfect storm of butthurt.

Do I think that Endless Eight is the greatest thing ever? No, not really, and I think there are things that KyoAni and their producers definitely could have done better. I'd rather see some plot progression. But I do think each episode has had its own merits, and I've enjoyed watching them. I'm looking forward to the new material, but I don't think any of us ever really knew what KyoAni and Kadokawa intended to air this season. I'll be happy when Endless Eight is over (hopefully this Thursday!), but until then it's not going to kill me to watch 24 minutes of good animation.
Ikonomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 10:32   Link #542
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikonomi View Post
Didn't people complain when Someday In the Rain featured an entire segment of Yuki reading a book in an otherwise empty room? I see this as that kind of thing, enlarged by an order of magnitude.
The dividing thing being how big is that order of magnitude to spoil enjoyment of the show as a whole and consequently how much does it hurt or not the franchise. Personally, I still think it's stretching it too much.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 10:36   Link #543
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
What? Something that is awesome, despite the fact that a small, yet highly vocal portion of the fanbase insists is bad for whatever reason?
1. As we already went over this, 'awesome' is highly subjective in this case. Which leads us to--

2. As long as actual all-encompassing polls aren't passed through the fandom, making 'small' or 'big' claims about the portions of the fanbase is just shooting in the dark hoping you'll hit your target. If the poll we have right over our heads is any indication, however...

EDIT: Eh, sorry about the double post. Could someone merge it with the prior post, please?
Old 2009-07-19, 10:57   Link #544
madblade

You must have some sort of cognitive disorder to appreciate watching the same episode five times, six if you count the next one.
madblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 11:14   Link #545
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
1. As we already went over this, 'awesome' is highly subjective in this case. Which leads us to--
As is the "painful" claim some are giving. What's your point?

Quote:
2. As long as actual all-encompassing polls aren't passed through the fandom, making 'small' or 'big' claims about the portions of the fanbase is just shooting in the dark hoping you'll hit your target. If the poll we have right over our heads is any indication, however...
As has been revealed in previous discussions, a good portion of the 1 votes are from people who didn't even give it a chance.

But I suppose you're right. After all, polls mean everything, don't they?

Quote:
EDIT: Eh, sorry about the double post. Could someone merge it with the prior post, please?
Just copy and paste one post onto the other, then delete the one you copied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madblade View Post
You must have some sort of cognitive disorder to appreciate watching the same episode five times, six if you count the next one.
One, these aren't the same episode. Same story, yes, but there are significant differences between them.

Two, I make it a point to watch the two-part finale of Cowboy Bebop whenever the opportunity arises. You mean to tell me that enjoying a story means that I have "some sort of cognitive disorder?"

Having said that... that may well be the case with myself, as I have also made it a point to watch the previous episodes over again whenever a new one airs.

*e* Note: I am not trying to compare Endless Eight to the ending of Cowboy Bebop, I am simply illustrating a point. Those two episodes were quite possibly the best thing I have ever seen, anime or otherwise.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...

Last edited by Kogetsu Shirogane; 2009-07-19 at 11:41.
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 11:47   Link #546
madblade

Quote:
As is the "painful" claim some are giving. What's your point?

One, these aren't the same episode. Same story, yes, but there are significant differences between them.

Two, I make it a point to watch the two-part finale of Cowboy Bebop whenever the opportunity arises. You mean to tell me that enjoying a story means that I have "some sort of cognitive disorder?"

Having said that... that may well be the case with myself, as I have also made it a point to watch the previous episodes over again whenever a new one airs.

*e* Note: I am not trying to compare Endless Eight to the ending of Cowboy Bebop, I am simply illustrating a point. Those two episodes were quite possibly the best thing I have ever seen, anime or otherwise.
Then you won't mind me saying the same thing six times just slightly different:

People that enjoy watching the same episode have some kind of mental illness.
People that enjoy watching the same thing over and over most likely are crazy.
People that enjoy watching the same episode have a lack of cognitive dissonance.
People that enjoy watching the same episode with minor modifications tend to be mentally ill.
People that enjoy watching the same episode with slight changes tend to be insane.

That's 6 including my original post.

I hope this has made you happy. I'm always glad to help the handicap errr handicapable.
madblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 11:55   Link #547
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:

People that enjoy watching the same episode have a lack of cognitive dissonance.
People that enjoy watching the same episode with minor modifications tend to be mentally ill.
People that enjoy watching the same episode with slight changes tend to be insane.

I hope this has made you happy. I'm always glad to help the handicap errr handicapable.
How is that related to his point? He was saying that he has no problem enjoying the same story over again. I can understand that as well. To me, it seems all you're doing is creating a straw man of his point and insulting him for it.

Or, I guess another way to put it is...
OMG THIS GUY HAS HIS OWN OPINION WHICH IS DIFFERENT FROM MINE!1!! HE MUST BE AN IDIOT!!!
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 11:57   Link #548
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

(1) It's not exactly the same thing. (2) A good story is a good story no matter how many times you see it.
vaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 12:10   Link #549
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Bleh, same thing again... There's no need and no point to repeat to this extent imo. Even if it's to show off some differences, it shouldn't require an entire episode to do so. The gimmick has long gone stale, so I just skipped through this episode...

Quote:
A good story is a good story no matter how many times you see it.
Except that these repeats are part of the same single story, with barely any development in them.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 12:12   Link #550
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?

I'm starting to side w/ the trolls here (not a major haruhi fan btw), seeing the rage just simply amuses the sadistic part of me.
NoOneKnowS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 12:21   Link #551
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaden View Post
(1) It's not exactly the same thing. (2) A good story is a good story no matter how many times you see it.
1. In my opinion, the differences aren't significant enough to justify this reason. In reference to K-On!, the differences in wardrobe and setting didn't make the gags any less stale.

2. Again in my opinion, it's not a good story, as it lacks the resolution needed to make it a good story.

I think what people are more mad about is that this prevents other stories from airing, rather than it being the same episode over and over again. I have no problems playing the same games or watching the same videos again, but the thought of this preventing me from watching new episodes of Haruhi annoys me.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 12:34   Link #552
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

Quote:

Okay, now you need to come up with 15 more ways of putting it, to go with the other 15 times I'll have seen "the same episode."

But in all seriousness... thanks for that last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneKnowS View Post
seeing the rage just simply amuses the sadistic part of me.
Sadism is pleasure in making others suffer. The term you're looking for is Schadenfreude. (Pleasure in seeing others suffer. There's quite a difference.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I think what people are more mad about is that this prevents other stories from airing, rather than it being the same episode over and over again. I have no problems playing the same games or watching the same videos again, but the thought of this preventing me from watching new episodes of Haruhi annoys me.
This is basically the entire problem. It has nothing at all to do with the repetition, just that Disappearance most likely won't be aired as a result.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-07-19, 12:35   Link #553
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
As has been revealed in previous discussions, a good portion of the 1 votes are from people who didn't even give it a chance.
Just like a good chunk of the 10 votes are just made to go against the tide.

Quote:
But I suppose you're right. After all, polls mean everything, don't they?
They mean more than baseless claims about those who are disatisfied with this being 'the minority', at least.
Old 2009-07-19, 12:39   Link #554
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Just like I said.

A loop in the discussion, we're Endless Eighting in the forums ourselves.
Old 2009-07-19, 12:42   Link #555
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
Just like a good chunk of the 10 votes are just made to go against the tide.
I'll give you that, provided you acknowledge that, without 1 or 10 votes, the majority of people were still voting "good" or better.
Old 2009-07-19, 14:09   Link #556
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

We've entered an endless recursion of time.
Takamura Mamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 16:25   Link #557
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

has anyone seen this video yet? This really makes me look at thing a bit differently, just a little

Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 17:03   Link #558
Jill-JÍnn
Music-mad Haruhiist

Lol yup, it's on the other topic.
Jill-JÍnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 17:12   Link #559
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Quote:
Ah yeah, the good old ad hominem attack when you don't agree with someone, an internet staple. I believe the last one on this board was that people who watch Endless Eight have no social lives. So now we can add mentally deficient to the mix.

Give me a break.

Repeating your statement six times doesn't prove anything -- it's just annoying.
Ikonomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 17:37   Link #560
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

Quote:
I believe the last one on this board was that people who watch Endless Eight have no social lives. So now we can add mentally deficient to the mix.
But of course. The "no social life" thing was too easy to redirect back, seeing as the people making the claim obviously have nothing better to do than complain about things on the internet.

Quote:
Repeating your statement six times doesn't prove anything -- it's just annoying.
I'm pretty sure that was the point