AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-11-27, 09:29   Link #221
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
My life is crazy these days so I don't get to post here at all lately, but I still lurk from time to time.

My girlfriend is 8 months pregnant carrying my baby boy whom we're going to name, Alfie George O'Shay.
Félicitations !
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 10:12   Link #222
Aya_Lyka
Silent Writer
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Other Realm
Age: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to Aya_Lyka
wow congrats on being a dad.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=85400&dateline=122829  1601
"When a person is cursed, two graves are dug"
"Ippen shinde miru?"
Aya_Lyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 10:17   Link #223
LovePhoenix
Biggest Nerine fan~!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Egypt
Congrats~! Have fun being a dad. But it's a big responsibility, you know. Be careful!
__________________
www.snowflowergames.withme.us

Visit our site and join the fun~!
LovePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 12:24   Link #224
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: "Post a Photo of Yourself!" Thread
What the hell!? I barely come on here and when i do i get this kind of surprise?

Congrats Buddy!! Let us know when the baby's born and register him on here If he gets banned then that just means he's following you in your footsteps lol
__________________

SENIOR MEMBER 2 OF
"The so exclusive club, you cannot join, umm err, club!"®

-established Oct 26, 2003-

Hate goes out to any imitations, relation, or blatant wanna-be of stated club
- The ONE and ORIGINAL -
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 17:42   Link #225
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
I have a great family. I took it for granted until a little while ago, and then I began to realize how many other people my age don't have the good family environment I do.

Quote:
My girlfriend is 8 months pregnant carrying my baby boy
Congratulations on that. It must be awesome to be a dad.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 11:03   Link #226
Knowledge Seeker
Student/Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 25
Congrats on the new life!

Really, I used to hate my parents for a variety of reasons growing up. They were very strict about me obtaining an education. It was to the point to where I wanted to scream 7 nights a week, haha. But their strict upbringing gave me lots of abilities that I never knew I had. I make excellent grades, have a decent job (with the economy coming loose, I can't complain), and things to be proud of.

While they are annoying most of the time, they steered me in the right direction. I have three parents so it was kind of hard to escape them. =p
Knowledge Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 22:46   Link #227
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799 View Post
Well I think this is a good question. Do your parents suck. Do they bug the living hell out of you over pointless things, are they hyporcrites and especially are they cheap.
Personally, no. I have great, very great parents.

They (did) give to their daughters a lot of love and time, but they didn't treat us as if we were a kind of princess. So it happened that they were strict, but imo, they were right to be. As my mother says when we say something bad "this is not like that, that a lady should act", "this is not what a lady should say" . My mom is a dragon, but the best dragon ever. I love her a lot <3

I (for my sisters, it's the same) can talk with them about everything (yeah, everything), while almost all my friends rely on friends, magazines, internet etc. So when I have/had a problem, I go/went to talk to them. Thanks to them I didn't do anything wrong when i was a teenager (same about my sisters). I always listened to them because each time after having thought about what they said to me, I was/am sure they were/are right.

They are great And I am very proud of the education that they give to me. They are the only persons + my sisters that I completely trust. I hope I will become a mother as good as my mama.

I know that they will never read that, but mama, papa, I love you ^o^

Last edited by Narona; 2008-11-28 at 23:01.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 23:02   Link #228
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Spoiler for Narona talking about her parents:
Congrats on becoming a father Shay. Hopefully you have a child that loves his parents as much as Narona loves hers. You'd be the happiest dad alive methinks.
__________________

Last edited by Traece; 2008-11-28 at 23:05. Reason: Narona got confused and thinks she's the dad. <_<
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 23:12   Link #229
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Narona got confused and thinks she's the dad. <_<.
You have to admit that it was confusing, you meanie (I'm joking ^^)
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 09:57   Link #230
Spring_sakura111
Kanashimi o mukou eto~!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pizza
I love my parents~!!!!!! <3 They understand how I love anime a lot~~ ♥♥
__________________
Spring_sakura111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 07:26   Link #231
Tsukune101
~Bloody Rose~
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Earth
Send a message via Skype™ to Tsukune101
So you judged Asian parents on the statistics of how many?
Did you actually talk to these people and get to know them, the last generation of many Asian parents i've known have treated them well, what's wrong with my mum and dad wanting me to marry another asian?
Most white kids i've seen ARE racists, spoilt brats...
__________________
Tsukune101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 16:02   Link #232
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukune101 View Post
So you judged Asian parents on the statistics of how many?
Did you actually talk to these people and get to know them, the last generation of many Asian parents i've known have treated them well, what's wrong with my mum and dad wanting me to marry another asian?
Most white kids i've seen ARE racists, spoilt brats...
You were doing fine until that last sentence. That was a nasty little irrational remark unless you've been highly isolated and the examples you've had were bad. Otherwise, you're slamming millions of people without basis just like the bad examples you're referring to.

My comment about your parents is that they *should* be saying is "find someone you like and are willing to spend a long time with". Frankly, that may include racial similarity just as it'll include educational, social, and cultural similarities.

As for the OP concerns,
Well I think this is a good question. Do your parents suck. Do they bug the living hell out of you over pointless things, are they hyporcrites and especially are they cheap.
Kind of makes me think of starting a thread called "Do your kids suck? Do they fulfill their obligations? Do they pick up after themselves? Are they trying to become responsible adults? Are they hypocrites themselves and do they have no clue about financial concerns? Do they know how to actually have fun and be happy or are they becoming whiny consumer-drones?

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-12-08 at 16:29.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 18:08   Link #233
greatpower2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: America
Age: 21
Some stories from my mom.

- She went to far away from home (1 block) which was a poorer area so her dad found her, grabbed a stick, and proceeded to make a switch, and beat her all the way home.

- Her brother was spanked for asking for a couple cookies and taking 3



This is of course pre S.R.S. stuff
greatpower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 01:30   Link #234
Tsukune101
~Bloody Rose~
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Earth
Send a message via Skype™ to Tsukune101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You were doing fine until that last sentence. That was a nasty little irrational remark unless you've been highly isolated and the examples you've had were bad. Otherwise, you're slamming millions of people without basis just like the bad examples you're referring to.

My comment about your parents is that they *should* be saying is "find someone you like and are willing to spend a long time with". Frankly, that may include racial similarity just as it'll include educational, social, and cultural similarities.

As for the OP concerns,
Well I think this is a good question. Do your parents suck. Do they bug the living hell out of you over pointless things, are they hyporcrites and especially are they cheap.
Kind of makes me think of starting a thread called "Do your kids suck? Do they fulfill their obligations? Do they pick up after themselves? Are they trying to become responsible adults? Are they hypocrites themselves and do they have no clue about financial concerns? Do they know how to actually have fun and be happy or are they becoming whiny consumer-drones?
Sorry, I over-reacted.
__________________
Tsukune101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 09:06   Link #235
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Kind of makes me think of starting a thread called "Do your kids suck? Do they fulfill their obligations? Do they pick up after themselves? Are they trying to become responsible adults? Are they hypocrites themselves and do they have no clue about financial concerns? Do they know how to actually have fun and be happy or are they becoming whiny consumer-drones?


Here in France, when the kids act like spoiled brats, often the people tend to point finger "only" at the parents of those kids (while I wonder if those people are "better" parents <_< but that's another story), but from what I see around me, I don't believe that it's "only" the parents fault when something goes wrong with a kid/tennager/ or even young adult.

I mean, for example, a lot of people from my generations tend to avoid to interact with their parents. Even when the latters really try to interact with their children, the kids tend to rely on other people like their friends, reading magazines to find answers, or now with internet, they post on forums. And I am not sure that it gives a better result (but I admit, it's from my personal point of view)

The society norms are also at fault imo. Here at least, when parents are very close to their children, they are people who look at them suspiciously. Yeah, I mean some have dirty thoughts. There was a debate about that on the TV some months ago, and the parents who were interviewed admitted that they don't want to appear too close with their children in case of the other people think that they do something wrong with them.

Me for example, I am very close with my parents and sisters, and there is absolutely nothing wrong. But when I talk to some people of my class, it happened that some were shocked as if "it was not normal".

On the teenagers side, it was not better (in the televised debate) and exactly how it was in my highschool and is in my university, as if "parents can't be trusted on some things and/or they will control you, they are Evil!!!! (some young people want absolute liberty for the better or the worst.)" (as if complete strangers on internet were better for example) and/or "being a family person is old-fashioned".

As a family person, I don't really like my kind to be criticized like that while I think I am a responsible adult and a nice person in comparison with a lot of persons around my age .

All in all, I hope I will have childrens someday. But from what I see, it could be VERY difficult to be a good parent. No matter some can do, and even if many people say that we live a Fabulous era, in my eyes, in the society I am living in, I have the feeling that it will become harder and harder to be a good parent. How can I explain that... to build that "link" between me and my children. I think that my parents really successed on that matter, but that doesn't mean I will become a parent as good as them. So, I really want to have some children, but at the same time, I am afraid (really) that everything will go out of control. If it happens, maybe it will be my fault... They will be my kids, obviously I will be at fault!!!!! As my mom says, "when you decide to do a baby, you have to realize your responsibilities." But still, I don't think that the society and environement in which the kids live outside of their parent's territory is "that" fabulous (at least not as much as what some famous people say it is here in france). And so, we tend to accuse the parents for everything, while, for example, the government here in France doesn't do a lot of preventive campaign for lots of things.

I would want to see a campaign about "Respect". Because I have the feeling that some young people want lots of things from their parents (read= money and total liberty), but lack to show respect towards them.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-13, 01:05   Link #236
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
The society norms are also at fault imo. Here at least, when parents are very close to their children, they are people who look at them suspiciously. Yeah, I mean some have dirty thoughts. There was a debate about that on the TV some months ago, and the parents who were interviewed admitted that they don't want to appear too close with their children in case of the other people think that they do something wrong with them.
That doesn't apply only to parent-child interactions. As a psychiatrist I was speaking to once remarked, 'we are living in a strange time in society, where showing compassion is frowned upon and met with suspicion.'
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 19:03   Link #237
Caeles
Heavenly and Celestial
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I don't think you should ever talk down about your parents. They might not give you everything you want, or act exactly how you want, but that's how life is. It's extremely frustrating when people go on tangents about how much they hate their families.

Your parents gave you life, gave you a home, and if you're on a computer they've given you enough.


My parents might not be the parents of the year, but I still love them. My mom is in and out of the mental hospital, but I know thats not her fault. I still love her. My dad has to act as both parents which is extremely stressful. But thats not his fault and I still love him.

People need to appreciate family more. Sometimes it's all you have.
Caeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 19:09   Link #238
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
My son Lemuel Ryoichi is five months old, and very smiley. I liked babies to begin with, so having him wasnt some huge shock to my system. On the other hand, I work eight hours a day, so I'm sure my wife is more tired than I am.

Hes awesome ^_^
__________________

"L'enfer, c'est les autres." - Jean-Paul Sartre
http://bathcat.muxtape.com/
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 19:13   Link #239
klowny
OH NO
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York
Age: 23
My parents are cool, they have given me what i wanted and all they ask in return is respect and obedience. They never had anything while growing up in mexico and they want me to have a good life here in the United States
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-01, 22:29   Link #240
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Personally, I get along well with my parents, but I wouldn't describe myself as particularly close to them. I'm a bit closer to my dad than my mom just because he plays some of the same computer games I do, but talk outside of general themes like school doesn't generally go beyond that (although I've been thinking of roping my dad into watching Spice and Wolf with me since he's a big fantasy fan).

I do recall that my parents did discuss politics with me from time to time, and I wonder if some of their moral values rubbed off on me from that. Still, I hold quite a few different political and moral views from them, even if all of us could probably be described as being social liberal/economic centerists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Here in France, when the kids act like spoiled brats, often the people tend to point finger "only" at the parents of those kids (while I wonder if those people are "better" parents <_< but that's another story), but from what I see around me, I don't believe that it's "only" the parents fault when something goes wrong with a kid/tennager/ or even young adult.

I mean, for example, a lot of people from my generations tend to avoid to interact with their parents. Even when the latters really try to interact with their children, the kids tend to rely on other people like their friends, reading magazines to find answers, or now with internet, they post on forums. And I am not sure that it gives a better result (but I admit, it's from my personal point of view)
This kind of thing fascinates me. Some kids I knew in elementary school got into a lot of trouble because of who they ended up hanging out with. Yet on the other hand, I've had internet access with little to no parental supervision since I was like 13. Conventional wisdom would suggest that this would be a recipe for disaster, but I get the impression most parents wish their kids turned out as well as I have.

I tend to think that somehow I learned good judgement skills from my parents somewhere along the line, but I'm not sure where. Sure, I do think their morals came across in some of our discussions, but I can't find any pivotal moments that stand out to me. Either way, my parents trusted me with internet access at 13-ish and I don't think I abused it in particular (although I do remember reading quite a few sexually explicit fanfics as a teen).

To some extent, I wonder if it's sheer dumb luck that I never hung out much with "the bad kids".

Personally, I do rely on the internet a lot for advice because I'm more liberal about quite a few things than my parents, but I've also developed a good filter for bad influences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
On the teenagers side, it was not better (in the televised debate) and exactly how it was in my highschool and is in my university, as if "parents can't be trusted on some things and/or they will control you, they are Evil!!!! (some young people want absolute liberty for the better or the worst.)" (as if complete strangers on internet were better for example) and/or "being a family person is old-fashioned".
My dad has observed that in our extended family, the most rebellious kids were actually the ones with the most controlling parents. So while I do think that parents need to be ready to deal with their kids when the step out of line (I've seen what happens when they don't do that too), I would advise that parents need to watch the extent to which they try and control their kids' lives.

Edit: also, about stereotypes regarding asian parents...

I don't like to stereotype people, but I've been thinking of asking a girl from my anime club out... and I'd be lying if I don't get nervous when she talks about having trouble explaining to her mom what she does when she goes out because she "doesn't know how to explain it in Chinese".

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2009-02-01 at 22:42.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
parents

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.