AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-10-24, 06:02   Link #401
FireChick

Quote:
Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette

Probably because I haven't read the novel, but this a little gem full of messages. Perhaps a little slow at times, but never boring.
I second that. Too many people think it's a dumbed down kiddie show when it's not!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 14:09   Link #402
ProDigit

Death Note, Berserk, Street Fighter animated movie and Street Fighter 2V, the old 'Hokuto No Ken'-series are all my favs, all masterpieces one by one!

Hoshi no koe is a very nice anime, very well drawn, unfortunately never finished. A bit of a mellow story though...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 14:16   Link #403
Echoes

I think very few shows are less underrepresented than Death Note. It's not only immensely popular among anime fans, but it's one of the few shows a lot of people who generally don't have an interest in anime have seen and liked.
Old 2011-10-24, 22:37   Link #404
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Before Madoka Magica, Tweeny Witches was the magical girl show I would tell friends, who didn't particularly like magical girls (and I very much generally dislike magical girls), to watch. It's certainly no Madoka, but it's still a highly underrepresented show for those looking for something different and perhaps darker than a typical magical girl. It does suffers from a fairly poor ending, but for years and years, this was the only magical girl show I could claim to have enjoyed.

It's also the show I generally whip out when someone asks me, "what show have you watched as a grown man that you'd never admit to anyone?"
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 10:24   Link #405
Stealther

I agree on many examples mentioned being under-represented, but not many things are BOTH under-represented AND masterpieces, as this topic originally is about.

The inclusion of "masterpiece" raises the bar very high, at least for me. It needs something it absolutely excels in, like originality, intelligently conveyed message, asking profound questions with no correct answers, ground-breaking visuals, an extreme case of enjoyablility, a completely new approach to and old cliché/topic etc.

Looking back on the last page of suggetions there are very few that are both masterpieces and under-represented in my opinion, at least among those I've seen (I've seen practially everything mentioned except the majority of the WTM).

I find both Sarai-ya Goyou and Victorian Romance Emma very good and enjoyable, but raising them as high as masterpieces isn't something I'm ready to do. Sarai-ya Goyou is very solid and well-told, and has extremely fitting music usage, but it lacks something that it really excels it (would be soundtrack and its usage if anything then). Victorian Romance Emma is pretty much the same case, a well-told story that is a lot more mature than you would expect, but otherwise I don't think it really excels in anything, isn't groundbreaking in any sense.

Aria the series I do think is a masterpiece, but contrarily to others I don't think it's underrepresented. It has a its share of fans, and to them (and me) its the best iyashi-kei anime ever, but it's still a relatively niché group that like these. People who don't like this usually think it's boring etc, but even a fair bit of these have heard of Aria. Simliar reasoning can be used about Mushishi, about it being a lot of taste, but even those that haven't seen it/didn't like it, have heard about it nowadays.

Casshern SINS I think is close to being a masterpiece, if it was only more tightly knit together. As said it has absolutely stunning visuals, soundtrack and raises some questions worth pondering about. Problem is that it doesn't really evolve and conclude, but is quite episodic when you think back.

Princess Tutu is like nothing you have ever seen, it's originality is one of a case. This I really think is an under-represented masterpiece. Probably because it's a bit older and is a mahou shoujo with ballet.

Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette is also on the verge on masterpiece in my opinion (at least if you haven't read the novel, which mostly likely is better as usual). Tightly written, no side-tracks, many characters that play a role, comments on society and several other issues, showing how things are rather than spelling it out, which always give more impact. It's messages really get across in a convincing way here.
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
underappreciated