AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-12-28, 08:18   Link #61
-RK-
WoW addict

Send a message via AIM to -RK- Send a message via MSN to -RK- Send a message via Yahoo to -RK-
Prince of Tennis: When I first tell people about this anime the first thing they say is, "What the hell is Prince of Tennis?" Followed immediately by, "How can tennis be fun to watch". Now Im not a fan of tennis either. Dull and bland are two words I would choose to describe it. Very few know of this animes existence. Even on the forums or lets say animemusicvideos.org, another haven for anime lovers, has Prince of Tennis gone unrecognized. The flow of the storyline is masterful and the animation is on par with most anime movies.

Flame of Recca: This is a much older anime and perhaps thats why it doesnt really get the PR that it might have if anime was more popular then. Or maybe the problem was not popularity but no way to easily share it. This anime is wonderful. I dont especially love the first few episodes but without a doubt its one of those animes you can fall in love with if you get through the to say the tenth episode or so.
Old 2006-12-28, 14:28   Link #62
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Flame of Recca: This is a much older anime and perhaps thats why it doesnt really get the PR that it might have if anime was more popular then. Or maybe the problem was not popularity but no way to easily share it. This anime is wonderful. I dont especially love the first few episodes but without a doubt its one of those animes you can fall in love with if you get through the to say the tenth episode or so.
I LUFFS RECCAAAAAA

Princess Tutu is the masterpiece of all mahou shoujo, hands-down. It's getting more attention since ADV did brilliantly with the US release but it's still sadly underrated.
Old 2007-01-07, 03:43   Link #63
wontaek

I need to add this

Anne of Green Gable ( a part of World Masterpiece Theater ): The staff includes Isao Takahata and Miyazaki Hayao. The first three episode probably has set the record for most lines the voice actor has to say in 20 minute episode. It was very faithful to the original novel and the general atmosphere was just right. I doubt if any live action drama of this novel has captured the essense of the novel as much as this series. The Korean dubbed version was also good as the translators relied more on original English text from the novel instead of Japanese dialogue in the anime itself to write the lines for the voice actors, who did very good job: it helps when your voice actors read the novel themselves.
Old 2007-01-07, 03:56   Link #64
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Erementar Gerad. In my book this is one of my favorite adventure/fantasy/romance series. It kept me fully entertained trough the series, and i was not bored even for a second. I had seen this one recommended only once 0_o ... This one needs much more love.
Old 2007-01-07, 12:36   Link #65
Arkhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
I need to add this, here. I really dislikes Kimagure Orange Road Series, but I believe it is very underrated by most people.
More than underrated, it has fallen into oblivion, like many other classics. I would add Maison Ikkoku to the ones you've mentioned (Urusei Yatsura and Touch). As you've said, these series are the point of reference for many of the current anime titles.
I encourage those younger anime fans out there to overcome their displeasure with old animation and try to watch some classics.
And I need to add something too, I love Kimagure Orange Road.
Arkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 12:38   Link #66
DanielSong39

Quote:
I will start with animes people have more or less forgotten
2. Touch: Tears unnumbered they shed. Highest TV rating for anime in History. Best modification to original materials in the 2nd movie ( This is the one where Nita utters the famous line ' This is my gift to you ' as he belts Tatsuya's pitch out of the park, leaving Tatsuya to blankly stare at where the ball has disappeared ). The epitome of many character streotypes. The series that really solidified the standard format of childhood fried girl taking care of the boy as if she is his mother/wife. Yet most anime fans don't even know why older anime fans' interest in a female character increases if her family name is Asakura, or why you don't see many female character with name Minami.
As long as we're on the topic of Adachi, let's not forget about Hiatari Ryoko!, Miyuki, and Slow Step. Personally I preferred Hiatari Ryoko for its calm atmosphere, stronger lead characters (Yusaku's determination was particularly impressive), and a story that flows naturally instead of relying on gimmicks. Miyuki was also notable for its portrayal of a strong brother-sister relationship - perhaps the best romance Adachi has developed. Slow Step was notable for its creative humor. Touch may be considered the "masterpiece", but I would argue that Adachi's other works are just as good.

Other under-the-radar shows I liked were the You're under Arrest! OVA's (lightweight humor, but since when was that a bad thing?) and the original To Heart (wonderful atmosphere, music, and character interactions). As for a more recent work, try Glass Mask 2005, an excellent adaptation of one of the all-time classics.

P.S. Say "Asakura" to a recent anime fan and you'll conjure up images of the brown-haired girl with a bell around her neck, her infamous "love me as a woman" line, and the delicious catfight on the roof. Truly a memorable character that many love (and love to hate).
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 13:17   Link #67
kauldron26
Med Student

definitely infinite ryvius. i deleted it twice after attempting to watch it. i concluded it was a waste of time and i never got passed episode 5. Then during the last week of school when i was done with finals, and i had to wait for my residents to go home before i closed down the dorm i dl it again and forced myself to watch it past episode 5, and OMFG... that anime is fucking incredible. wow... it was just awe-inspiring. the insight on the depths of humanity was just haunting.
Old 2007-01-07, 15:30   Link #68
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
I will start with animes people have more or less forgotten

1. Urusei Yatsura: This was a landmark pieve. It gave us the term Harem as we know it in Japanese Anime. It started the trend where before this anime, male voice actors outnumbered females, but after this series, female voice actors started to outnumber male counterparts. So many of streotypical character types were introduced from here as well as so many situation dramas in anime.

2. Touch: Tears unnumbered they shed. Highest TV rating for anime in History. Best modification to original materials in the 2nd movie ( This is the one where Nita utters the famous line ' This is my gift to you ' as he belts Tatsuya's pitch out of the park, leaving Tatsuya to blankly stare at where the ball has disappeared ). The epitome of many character streotypes. The series that really solidified the standard format of childhood fried girl taking care of the boy as if she is his mother/wife. Yet most anime fans don't even know why older anime fans' interest in a female character increases if her family name is Asakura, or why you don't see many female character with name Minami.

5. A Charlie Brown Christmas: Not enough people has seen this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
As long as we're on the topic of Adachi, let's not forget about Hiatari Ryoko!, Miyuki, and Slow Step. Personally I preferred Hiatari Ryoko for its calm atmosphere, stronger lead characters (Yusaku's determination was particularly impressive), and a story that flows naturally instead of relying on gimmicks. Miyuki was also notable for its portrayal of a strong brother-sister relationship - perhaps the best romance Adachi has developed. Slow Step was notable for its creative humor. Touch may be considered the "masterpiece", but I would argue that Adachi's other works are just as good.

Other under-the-radar shows I liked were the You're under Arrest! OVA's (lightweight humor, but since when was that a bad thing?) and the original To Heart (wonderful atmosphere, music, and character interactions). As for a more recent work, try Glass Mask 2005, an excellent adaptation of one of the all-time classics.

Quote:
I need to add this, here. I really dislikes Kimagure Orange Road Series, but I believe it is very underrated by most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdom_elladrel View Post
I would have to say these ones.

Kodocha - For sure, this also qualifies. Well, probably because the manga was so much better than the anime, even though I think the anime was pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
More than underrated, it has fallen into oblivion, like many other classics. I would add Maison Ikkoku to the ones you've mentioned (Urusei Yatsura and Touch). As you've said, these series are the point of reference for many of the current anime titles.
I encourage those younger anime fans out there to overcome their displeasure with old animation and try to watch some classics.
And I need to add something too, I love Kimagure Orange Road.
I couldn't agree more with all of you.

Adding to the list:

Captain Tsubasa 1983 (1st series): it's THE sports series.
Miracle Giants Domu-kun
Hime-chan no Ribbon
Kaitou Saint Tail
Idol Densetsu Eriko: Full Moon wo Sagashite is a light-hearted series compared to this classic.
Lupin III: Need I say more?
Saint Seiya

On a more recent note, I think Kaleido Star (2003) is a great series that is a bit unpopular.

(I'll add more personal comments later on.)
Old 2007-01-10, 18:49   Link #69
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Talking

Nice thread. Let's see...in terms of ones mentioned so far, I'll second these (although I also agree with a number of others mentioned, such as Princess Tutu, just don't think they've been as unrepresented as these):

Hell Teacher Nube: no idea if it's THAT good, but I liked what I saw of it raw once.

Alien Nine: definitely really cool, too bad the anime didn't finish the story due to the magazine being cancelled. The manga later continued in a new 'zine as Alien Nine Emulators. Still, if you liked this series, check out Kotonoha's scanlation of the Milk Closet manga by the same mangaka...it will blow your mind, and has a lot of the same themes.

Shamanic Princess: hells yeah. I got the LDs of this as it was originally released, and I can understand how watching it packaged as one DVD can really lessen the impact of those cliff hangers as well as how the story is told in a cycle, but this is a really fantastic, moody OVA set.

Giant Robo: I don't know about underrepresented, but it's definitely a masterpiece.

Kokoro Library: This was a real treat as I happened to follow the manga from its start in Dengeki Daioh.

0080: Sure, what the hell. I remember many a non-Gundam fan being shocked by this series when it first came out way back when, definitely not the stereotypical mecha anime.

Votoms: I really need to sit and watch more. Its first OVA, along with an Orguss (1) compilation vid were among the first tapes I got copies of back in the eighties, after the Macross movie and Urusei Yatsura. The coffee of Oodou City is bitter...

Nadesico: I don't think the show is really underrepresented, but the movie, Prince of Darkness was pure genius, IMHO, but gets less love from most, it seems.

Megazone 23: Oh yeah...

Windaria: Yeah, and don't forget the even more obscure Birth by the same studio that also was only released here as a hack job by Streamline.

And with that I'll segue into my own list of the underrepresented:

To-y: 1987 OVA based on the hit Shounen Sunday manga series about a young indie punk singer who wants to pursue his own career, directed by Naoyuki Onda, a popular animator in the late 80's, early 90's. Seriously good stuff, a fan sub was really popular with the SF Bay Area anime fans back in the day. The OVA is unique in that you never hear the characters actually sing their songs, instead their music is represented with instrumentals and various guest bands. Video game legend Masaya Matsuura and the band Psy's (who also did one of the OPs for City Hunter) did music direction and assembled a wide range of bands for the soundtrack. No DVD exists of this due to licensing issues, and the LD is a highly sought collector's item now.

Toki No Tabibito: The Time Stranger: Another late 80's work, a feature film by legendary director Rintaro with a Doctor Who-esque SF premise. Really amazing art and animation.

Yokohama Shopping Log: I'm surprised no one mentioned this one yet. I know it's popular here on Animesuki, but I doubt the original OVA's had that much exposure really. This is possibly my favorite anime ever.

Majokko Club 4-nin Gumi (think that's the title): a bizarre OVA crossover of four of Studio Pierrot's earliest magical girls, strangely prescient (but well predating) in some ways of Sailor Moon in terms of the handling, bearing a particular resemblence at one point to the Sailor Moon R movie (which shared a screenwriter with it, lol). I recently archived my ancient deteriorating VHS tape of this to DVD, heh, and am going through it for other buried treasures...

The second Galaxy Fraulein Yuna OVA (no thanks to ADV's handling of it--washed out DVD encode and lame subs make me glad I bought the LDs!): it helps to have played the original games, but the second OVA series was directed by Akiyuki Shinbo (and it shows) and in contrast to the goofy first OVA, takes a much darker turn.

KO Century Beast: a good, funny Akahori Satoru anime back in his early days.

Bakuen Campus Guardress: another one!

Goshogun Movie: Etranger : a mid 80's classic. Not a robot battle is in sight as the characters from both sides of a popular hero robot anime gather years later while the heroine is hospitalized and metaphorically deals with the disease that is eating at her in her dreams.

They Were Eleven: an old shoujo manga-based mystery in space...good stuff!

Fight! Iczer-One: Toshiki (then Toshihiro) Hirano's rock'em-sock'em take on the dark hero theme, lots of homages to various classics, but a fine 3-part OVA in its own right, with lovecraftian tentacled aliens, yuri themes, fanservice and lots of action. Not a deep work, more like a study in archetypes, but quite a masterpiece when it came out in the mid-eighties. Fun to contrast with Hirano's later, superior work with his future wife Kakinouchi Narumi on Vampire Princess Miyu.

Idol Project: just good silly fun...

Angel's Egg: Amano+Oshii...what more need be said?

I've got more, but need to dig in my collection and head some more...
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 19:20   Link #70
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Niea Under 7

One that went relatively unoticed was Niea Under 7 or Niea 7 its from the director of Lain also by the manga ka artist .The Manga Ka's works include Serial Experiments Lain (1998) , NieA under 7 (2000) , Haibane Renmei (2002) and Texhnolyze (2003)

This one was normal and when I say this I am a big Lain fan . Niea was fun series which probed deeper into the physce of young girl going to be a woman ala Lain . But the outlook here is diffrent Mayuko Chigasaki is a struggling student ( economically ) with a complex also being an intovert doesnt help . While her freeloading alien roomate is an extrovert who uses humor to hide her fears . Together they discover the joy of growing up and seeing life in a new prespective .

I found Niea under 7 funny charming and surreal at times . IMO way better than lain but didnt share same level of popularity as Lain .

Manga Ka / Creator : Yoshitoshi ABe
Old 2007-01-11, 09:19   Link #71
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
Nice thread. Let's see...in terms of ones mentioned so far, I'll second these (although I also agree with a number of others mentioned, such as Princess Tutu, just don't think they've been as unrepresented as these):

Giant Robo: I don't know about underrepresented, but it's definitely a masterpiece.

0080: Sure, what the hell. I remember many a non-Gundam fan being shocked by this series when it first came out way back when, definitely not the stereotypical mecha anime.

Votoms: I really need to sit and watch more. Its first OVA, along with an Orguss (1) compilation vid were among the first tapes I got copies of back in the eighties, after the Macross movie and Urusei Yatsura. The coffee of Oodou City is bitter...

Megazone 23: Oh yeah...

They Were Eleven: an old shoujo manga-based mystery in space...good stuff!

Giant Robo: Hopefully the new anime series will be good as well

Gundam 0080 : Some liked this series better than 0083.

Megazone 23: Please elaborate

They were Eleven: Doh!! I should have mentioned that one.
Old 2007-01-11, 09:38   Link #72
Bot1
The Supreme Pontiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless View Post
Kino no Tabi : hands down the deepest anime series ever, it's almost like going through a philosophy lecture.
kino is geat and all but the philosophy really ins't all that deep... its more like going to a 9th grade philosophy class then a lecture.

if i have the add anything then i'll add anything by matsumoto leiji, especially galaxy express 999

AKA Malakith
Bot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-11, 14:46   Link #73
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:54.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 14:36   Link #74
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've appointed myself the representative of the folks on the Saiunkoku Monogatari thread and nominate this show as perhaps the most underappreciated of those currently being aired. Asatte no Houkou fans might think that show is too-often overlooked, but at least it got a forum of its own here on AS.

Luckily Saiunkoku Monogatari is not being overlooked in Japan. Season Two has been announced starting in April; the current season still has a few episodes to run.
Old 2007-01-13, 15:14   Link #75
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I vote for Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan.

The story is about lame as it get in animes. Character Design, very cute, plenty of fan service. Violence, plenty. I just found that the total randomness of the entire anime series was completely enjoyable to watch, over and over again. It doesn't reach the ioutlandish stupidity of Pani Poni Dash, but overall it was more enjoyable than it.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 17:03   Link #76
anselfir
Style Über Alles

I would consider elfen lied, as hyped as it is, underrated, simply because of the many layers of storytelling that managed to convey a deep emotional message that can only be conveyed by luring the audience into a pretty unconventional perspective. This involved some amazing techniques. Also the show's focus on the human relations rather than the supernatural setting was refreshing in many ways when compared to the seemingly compulsive need for anime to put action and mysticism above character development. The setting is inconsistent, yes, but it didn't matter.

Also this show managed to build consistent momentum throughout, and did not lose steam despite the introduction of various side characters.
Old 2007-01-15, 17:12   Link #77
Kaijin
かいじん

Don't know if they are masterpieces (as they are still airing) but I do think they are underrated generally IMHO.

Ghost Hunt
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
Old 2007-01-15, 18:36   Link #78
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:

Megazone 23: Please elaborate

They were Eleven: Doh!! I should have mentioned that one.
Heh, it's easy to miss Eleven somehow, not sure why.

Megazone 23 was, while not the first OVA, was one of the earliest and it came with a who's who list of animators and designers on board. The cyberpunkish themes were in some ways well ahead of their time, with the pre-Matrix simulated reality within the generation ship, the pre-Sharon Apple virtual idol Eve Tokimatsuri (back when the best we could do toward simulating a person in 3D was by faking it a la Max Headroom--which debuted the same year), and a rather surprising complete change of style for the second OVA, switching from Hirano Toshiki to master animator Umetsu Yasoumi on character designs. There's a lot more that could be said about it, but it really needs to be seen and understood for the context of when it was made.
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 18:59   Link #79
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

The WallFlower

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge ~ The WallFlower ~

Last Week one show caught my eye its called Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge aka Wallflower. Its a masterpeice in terms of plot and chracter development . The most orignal story I have seen in a long time and its really funny . Unfortunately its not that popular I dont know why It has all the makings of a great anime . No its not shonen-ai or yaoi just that main charas are bishonen .

DWNLD
Old 2007-01-15, 19:07   Link #80
Ryota Hayami
Ciel Blue

Great Teacher Onizuka and Kare Kano.

Those are really good anime's.
Ryota Hayami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
underappreciated