AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-01-15, 19:15   Link #81
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryota Hayami View Post
Great Teacher Onizuka and Kare Kano..
I agree GTO doesnt get it its fair share of limelight its a masterpeice alright . If your a big GTO Fan do check out the Live Action preceding the anime I found that better .

Kare Kano is very very popular lot many people told me to watch it . What you said is true in a way Kare Kano isnt popular His and Her Circumstances is popular irionic
Old 2007-01-15, 20:09   Link #82
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
one i have to say is demonbane ~ its starts of as your average mecha but quickly the characters win you over and the plot takes you though an emotional rollercoster of a ride flawless end as well imo *sigh* underrate series is a pain when compared to overrated series >.<

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 20:26   Link #83
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
one i have to say is demonbane ~ its starts of as your average mecha but quickly the characters win you over and the plot takes you though an emotional rollercoster of a ride flawless end as well imo *sigh* >.<
IMHO DemonBane should have been longer I mean full 26 ep . Secondly Cthulhu Mythos and HP Lovercraft explanations should have been more detailed in the anime . It sure has great chracters as you said , right from the OVA Doctor West has permanently been etched in my brain

Its Grossly underated I second that
Old 2007-01-17, 15:10   Link #84
iindigo

Although it isn't incredibly rare, Vision of Escaflowne (the series, not the half-assed movie) is amazing - it has great art, a great storyline, incredible character development, a beautiful soundtrack, and a near-perfect English dub. It also blends almost every genre of anime out there into itself, but does so in such a graceful manner that it all fits together perfectly. I personally consider it a classic, and it really shocks me to see how small its fanbase is.

If you haven't watched it, you should. You're missing a lot. And if by chance you saw the indescriptably horrible butchering of the series on FOX Kids, erase it from your mind and watch the real thing. The difference between them is huge.
iindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-17, 15:27   Link #85
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Ocean Waves was a Ghibli production. It was a quirk in that it was the only realistic slice-of-life film from that studio (at least, AFAIR) ... but it was great. I watched it five times in succession. I avoided watching other anime for about a week or so. It was that powerful, at least for me.

Koi Kaze is another underappreciated anime masterpiece. Yes, it's about incest. So what? Life isn't all about fairy tales and lolis, you know.

I'd say Hiatari Ryoukou was great, but is also underappreciated. I'm starting to like Legend of Galactic Heroes ...
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-17, 15:48   Link #86
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Of course, my favorite anime of all time is Simoun, but I've already hyped it enough on AS, and it seems to finally be getting some love. The same goes for Bokura ga Ita, which people are now discovering as the best shoujo romance anime since KareKano -- and a better show, in my opinion.

But I'd like to draw attention to Uta~Kata. Yes, there is a little fanservice that will put some people off, but it is so well constructed, the atmosphere is so well drawn, the human relations are interesting and moving, and the emotional trajectory is great.

And thanks to the people here who have reminded me to watch Infinite Ryvius, Escaflowne, Touch, Hiatari Ryoukou and others. And I totally agree that Saiunkoku Monogatari is an underrated show.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-17, 22:18   Link #87
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
Ocean Waves was a Ghibli production. It was a quirk in that it was the only realistic slice-of-life film from that studio (at least, AFAIR) ... but it was great. I watched it five times in succession. I avoided watching other anime for about a week or so. It was that powerful, at least for me.

Koi Kaze is another underappreciated anime masterpiece. Yes, it's about incest. So what? Life isn't all about fairy tales and lolis, you know.

I'd say Hiatari Ryoukou was great, but is also underappreciated. I'm starting to like Legend of Galactic Heroes ...
Agree about Ocean Waves and Koi Kaze. I especially like how Koi Kaze anime turned a C-class( in my opinion ) manga into A-class anime by good control of pacing, good voice acting, and subtle changes in nuance of the dialogue as well as some adjustment to dialogue itself.

I used to be fan of Legend of Galactic Heroes, but I have became less a fan after realizing that this series can be skewed to be a glorification of Nazi and Imperial Japan of World War II. The series is a very good space opera and OVAs had excellent music. Its scenaries were memorable and the Germanic names gave strange weight to the whole series: yet, it is disheartening to know that many Jews shudder at the name, Reinhardt.
Old 2007-01-18, 01:57   Link #88
DanielSong39

Quote:
Ocean Waves was good but it really pales compares to Omohide Poro Poro (Only Yesterday) and Grave of the Fireflies. They take realism to a whole new level - nothing less that what you would expect from the master, Isao Takahata.

You might also want to try "Heidi" and "Anne of Green Gables", a couple of 70's anime adaptations from the same director. The animation may be dated, but the storytelling still holds up.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 02:54   Link #89
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Last Week one show caught my eye its called Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge aka Wallflower. Its a masterpeice in terms of plot and chracter development . The most orignal story I have seen in a long time and its really funny . Unfortunately its not that popular I dont know why It has all the makings of a great anime . No its not shonen-ai or yaoi just that main charas are bishonen .
It's likely not very popular because it absolutely does not do the manga justice. (I got the same queasy feeling I got while watching the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie ) The crappy animation, goofy sound affects/music, and Sunako's seiyuu totally ruined it for me... stopped watching after the 7th ep.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 09:00   Link #90
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
It's likely not very popular because it absolutely does not do the manga justice. (I got the same queasy feeling I got while watching the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie ) .The crappy animation, goofy sound affects/music, and Sunako's seiyuu totally ruined it for me... stopped watching after the 7th ep.
Yeah Hitchhiker guide to Galaxy was the worst interpartion of book actually makes you wonder how could they have screwed it up so bad . The interpretation and art is indeed tacky , looks like an anime from 80s rather than 06-07 . They have not even bothered to use new visuals for the op that goes a long ways to say or highlight the lack of creativity by the studio .

But despite all these flaws it has something unique a excellent story a unique plot and chracterisation . IMHO the story is better than Red Garden Bosou Renkiin Nana Ghost Hunt but it doesnt get the appreciation or the limelight required .

As you said horiible interpretation but its not as bad of an interpretation as HitchHikersGuidetoGalaxy
Old 2007-01-18, 13:00   Link #91
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
I used to be fan of Legend of Galactic Heroes, but I have became less a fan after realizing that this series can be skewed to be a glorification of Nazi and Imperial Japan of World War II. The series is a very good space opera and OVAs had excellent music. Its scenaries were memorable and the Germanic names gave strange weight to the whole series: yet, it is disheartening to know that many Jews shudder at the name, Reinhardt.
I don't think Yoshiki Tanaka is particularly glorifying imperialism or Nazi doctrine in his work. Both the excesses and advantages of democracy and 'enlightened' despotism are shown, but at the end of the day, democracy painted in the better light despite all its faults, because there is at least hope of it being sustainable and self correcting in the long term, without all the bloody business of "seizing the universe".

Reinhardt is a common German name, and is not some reference to antisemitism.

Last edited by glyph; 2007-01-18 at 13:23.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-18, 16:33   Link #92
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyph View Post
I don't think Yoshiki Tanaka is particularly glorifying imperialism or Nazi doctrine in his work. Both the excesses and advantages of democracy and 'enlightened' despotism are shown, but at the end of the day, democracy painted in the better light despite all its faults, because there is at least hope of it being sustainable and self correcting in the long term, without all the bloody business of "seizing the universe".

Reinhardt is a common German name, and is not some reference to antisemitism.
First, I think most of glorification and splendors in the book arise naturally from the basic premesis of rise of benevolent dictator and how democracy might fail. However, I still remember the shock on my friend's face when I mentioned the name Reinhardt while describing the book to him. He already was somewhat pissed at the book showing how good a dictator can be, but when he heard the name Reinhardt, he immediately connected with the story of first Emperor, Rudolf's extermination of inferior genes and the infamous 'operation Reinhardt ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Reinhardt )'.

Secondly, I believe LoGH's first OVA may have had profound effect in Japanese manga/anime industry. Believe it or not, LoGH raised the standard of beautiful looking male to a new level, as well as making more fans be concerned about large scale tactic and strategy. I remember another friend's sister be attracted to anime just because Reinhardt looked so 'unearthly beautiful'. Its musical impact is serious as well, for this OVA was unique that I believe Japanese animator contracted a German orchestra, Stuttgard Philharmonic I think, to use their music for this OVA. It made some lesser known work like Nielsen's 4th symphony known. Even the latest Nodame Cantabile manga chapter mentions Nielsen's 4th symphony 'Inextinguishable', which was written as composer's response to the tragedies of World War I. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphon..._%28Nielsen%29 )

Third, This series created new stereotypes, mainly that of Reinhardt and Yan Wenley. Reinhardt made cool, harsh, yet ultimately benevolent genius popular again ( the original was the Purple Rose Dud from the 'Glass Mask', but he didn't have that far reaching powers later characters demonstrated ). Yan Wenley was epitome of lazy genius extremely good at one very hard thing, and only in things directly related to that primary thing. A good follower of Yan Wenley model would be the captain Yurikain 'Martian Successor Nadesico'

Fourth, in end, the real model for Reinhardt may be Cao Cao, and for Yan, Zhuge Liang, both from Romance of Three Kingdoms. Cao Cao, in real history, really did make many meaningful reforms that benefitted the commoners; he may have been very nasty to the upper class, but he was good towards the lower class people.( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cao_cao ) Zhuge Liang may have been the smartest, but like Yan, he is no warrior. If more substance can be found for this connection, score another point for the comment 'Everything is Chinese'. ( by the way, I am a Korean, not Chinese )
Old 2007-01-23, 16:35   Link #93
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Ah, Simoun, yeah, I'm really enjoying that one so far. Need to finish it at some point, same for Uta-Kata.

Two more I want to add: Please Save My Earth (especially the "lost" "seventh" episode!) and Munto.
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-27, 22:10   Link #94
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
The second Galaxy Fraulein Yuna OVA (no thanks to ADV's handling of it--washed out DVD encode and lame subs make me glad I bought the LDs!): it helps to have played the original games, but the second OVA series was directed by Akiyuki Shinbo (and it shows) and in contrast to the goofy first OVA, takes a much darker turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiko_san View Post
My dear Marie/Boku no Marie - Probably my favorite anime/OAV of all time too.It's short(3 eps) bittersweet(leaves you craving for more but then you realize it was fun while it lasted)it has a charm to it, i fell in love instantly.One of the best OAVs from the 90s!
sdlkfjlerkjgtorejlkds OHMIFGAWD!! I LOVE THOSE OVAS!! I HAVE THEM BOTH ON TAPE!! You guyz are getting reps!!!

*edit*

Nightwalker is SEVERELY underrated! >=( It's my fave vampire anime. <3
Petite Princess Yucie is underrated too....
The Kodocha anime is indeed underrated outside the fansub cults from the 90s
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne is ridiculously underrated, considering it is a mahou shoujo series with an incredibily strong, capable, SMART heroine and the most unpredictable plot twist EVER. Not Princess Tutu but still damn good.
Devil Hunter Youko is very underrated.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2007-01-27 at 22:31.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 07:48   Link #95
Bloodseeker

Despite having aired on Anime Unleashed, Boogiepop Phantom is still pretty under-represented. (probably in no small part to the dumb name) Take Paranoia Agent, take away the corny alternate world battles, the ridiculous explanation on what happened, add in even more psycho stuff, keep some equally likable leads, give a different reason for the psycho events, make it darker, and you have Boogiepop Phantom. Go watch it if you haven't already.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 11:12   Link #96
smeg4brainsuk
Ayanami's Concubine

Send a message via MSN to smeg4brainsuk Send a message via Skype™ to smeg4brainsuk
Jin Roh - One of animes great masterpieces that has being overshadowed by bigger name franchises (especially Production I.G.'s very own GitS series). This is the anime i use to convert people who dont watch anime/think its childish. Beatuiful animation and music, brilliant characters, great voice acting (both japanese and english) and a fantastic story.

Orguss 02 - It was this OVA and Ghost in the Shell that got me into anime many, many, many years back. It beats the Macross series hands down and can stand tall alongside Macross Plus/Zero quite proudly. Though its age shows it still has great characters, story and battles.

The Slayers - Im not sure how big it is in japan/USA but in europe we only just managed to get a release of the films and some of the OVA's (none of the series though). Im a huge fan of Lina Inverse and her crew of madmen and think the story and characters are just god damn brilliant. Never a dull moment and it will have you crying in pain from the laughter. I still live in hope that this will be restored in a similar way to BubbleGum Crisis

Last edited by smeg4brainsuk; 2007-01-31 at 12:22.
smeg4brainsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 15:55   Link #97
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg4brainsuk View Post
Jin RohThe Slayers - Im not sure how big it is in japan/USA but in europe we only just managed to get a release of the films and some of the OVA's (none of the series though). Im a huge fan of Lina Inverse and her crew of madmen and think the story and characters are just god damn brilliant. Never a dull moment and it will have you crying in pain from the laughter. I still live in hope that this will be restored in a similar way to BubbleGum Crisis
It's big here in the US. Aw that is a shame...the TV series is more enjoyable than the movies and ovas, imho.
Old 2007-01-31, 16:04   Link #98
smeg4brainsuk
Ayanami's Concubine

Send a message via MSN to smeg4brainsuk Send a message via Skype™ to smeg4brainsuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
It's big here in the US. Aw that is a shame...the TV series is more enjoyable than the movies and ovas, imho.
Yeah the 3 series (especially NEXT) are brilliant, annoying thing is that i have spent a fair bit of cash importing the series boxsets from america because over the years they have gotten scratched and lost as they shuffle around many of my friends who have also fallen in love with them too.

I also love the Slayer novels, but tokyopop seemed to cancel translating them after book 6 for some annoying reason :/

Ah well at least its nice to hear that things like Slayers and Jin Roh are quite big somewhere ^^
Old 2007-01-31, 16:08   Link #99
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
I sent you a PM, but for the benefit of others reading this, Studio Ghibli actually produced a few more character-driven, realistic, slice-of-life anime. This would be a good thread for me to evangelize these great films:

Whisper of the Heart (Japanese title: If You Listen Closely)
Only Yesterday (Japanese title: Memories Like Falling Teardrops)
Ocean Waves (Japanese title: I Can Hear The Sea)

These are really great films that I think every one should see, especially the first one. At first glance the storylines may seem to be nothing special, but it's really something you have to see. These Ghibli films are sometimes overshadowed by the more fantastical (and still brilliant) Ghibli stuff like Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-31, 16:18   Link #100
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
I absolutely second Whisper of the Heart.
The best film Ghibli made if you ask me. A must-see!

Tags
underappreciated