AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 30 16.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 25.14%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 42 23.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 32 17.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 8.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 4.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 2.79%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.56%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-07-25, 16:53   Link #241
Yami Sonozaki
Shion's follower xD
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Europe -> Romania
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Yami Sonozaki Send a message via Yahoo to Yami Sonozaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie View Post
I think what chuonokoe means by 'enjoying ranting', is that it's more of how they can get carried away with either repetitive complaints, or nitpicks over the most irrelevant details in the anime, and this can be very frustrating for some regularly checking the threads. While a thread flourishes with a good balance of good and bad criticisms, the key is to determine how much is too much before it falls to the trap of becoming recycle material in general.

Take the current exchange over Eva's chest as an example. Is it in poor taste to have it as an advertising shot? Perhaps, perhaps not, the sentiments vary according to different people. When George lunges and mourns on his dead mother's chest, her chest bounces in response to the impact. Is it possible? Why yes, as to quote a friend, boobs aren't meant to be static. Are the animated jiggly boobs a major distraction? Only if you let it so. Is it worth going on and on about it? Well, it's a very minor point, but for some reason, it escalates at a very quick pace based on the last few posts, not unlike other side topics that were heatedly brought up in the past. You have the option of skipping those posts, but when the same pattern keeps repeating over and over in each episode thread, it reaches a point when it becomes predictable and redundant, and risk being counter-productive in many ways.

Amongst these posts, there's a very noticeable tinge of either a) 'the anime isn't going according to the standards set by the novels' or b) 'the anime isn't adhering point-by-point with the image that I envisioned it to be'. By now, the anime has already established that it isn't swerving towards that direction, it's making choices the way it wants to, and, seeing how there's absolutely nothing people could do about it, it'll be nice to just focus on the anime as it actually is, rather than what it isn't. This isn't about whether people are entitled to post anything they want - this is in fact what people have been doing from the very beginning. There has been no 'brawls' that went out of hand so far, but more over the slightly overwhelming negativity that each threads have been slanted with, and some people have taken the initiative of calling it out. Aside from very few outcries, people here, as well as other places, have been quite level-headed with the way they conveyed their intentions regarding the high rate of nitpicking/complaints.

Edit : maximilianjenus, thanks for the information, that's always nice to know.
I agree.

Too much drama being made for such small things. About Eva's boobs part, you call it fanservice, I call it physics (as others pointed out). He was her son, what's so wrong about him jumping on her chest? >_> Hell, I would have complained if he did that and they wouldn't bounce. Ignoring the laws of physics? Now that would have been unacceptable.

Umineko is being bashed mostly because it's not 100% faitfull to the SN, or because it isn't as hardcore as Higurashi was. Depends on people.
I agree with discussing about the episode, since that's what the topic is for, but the negativity of some posts is annoying (to me at least), and may give a good series a bad impression for some people.
I know it's not perfect and it has some stiff parts, but over-dramatizing about it doesn't solve anything. Why can't it be criticized as if the SN never existed?
__________________
Signature removed. Please check the forum signature rules before trying to upload another one. If you have questions, feel free to contact a mod through PM.
Yami Sonozaki is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 17:00   Link #242
Marion
The Great Dine
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Personally I like the anime myself. If they would limit the fanservice (since this IS a murder mystery genre) and wouldn't lag on reactions for the characters then it would be a little better :P There aren't many cuts, but at the same time the characters are very statue-esque.

The entire thing with George is, as others pointed out, wondering if him jumping on Eva like that was really necessary, and right into her chest for that matter? Like many said, originally he was by her bed side and even in the manga he wasn't all on top of her. They could have easily done something like that but instead they made the choice to do a boob dive. And as others mentioned, if you saw the raw during the sponsor message before it began it had George going up and down on Eva's chest looping repeatedly. Now that's what I call fanservice.
__________________

Sig by nocco
Marion is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 17:16   Link #243
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 26
Why would anyone in their right minds expect the anime to be 100% faithful to the game? I don't think ANYONE is complaining about that.

Regarding the fanservice, it doesn't matter whether it's Umineko or not, butt shots and boob dives should really stay out of murder mysteries. In fact, if this wasn't Umineko, I'd probably have stopped watching right there.

Yes, it's a detail, but it demonstrates a poor attitude toward the series (and even toward the viewers) by the producers. Same with the vastly toned-down personalities of the characters.

What's the big deal? It's because the details of Umineko are really what make it great: the "lots of people die on an island, whodunit" story has been done over and over. What makes it stand out are the depth of the mystery and the characters, as well as the tone of the story and the suspense behind it. This episode really shows a lack of respect for all of those things.

Now, I don't mean to bash the anime as a whole: I-3 was a VERY well-done episode, and I have hope that they'll be able to get back to that level of quality; additionally, there are several scenes that I am very much looking forward to seeing animated. However, the way that I-4 was done was just unfortunate, especially since I-1 and I-2 blazed through so much of the story that the "we don't have time" excuse doesn't apply anymore. I hope DEEN will shape up for future episodes and take this more seriously.
k//eternal is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 18:18   Link #244
lubczyk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Anybody laughed out loud when Kanon got stabbed by that stake? I hit my head and said "Of course, the killer could throw the stakes." I think it's partially Kanon's stupidity. He went alone into a dark room with no light source of any kind and just stood there spouting his smart-ass mouth off. I was half expecting the killer to sneak up on him and shiv him in the back. Kanon should have just run with the butcher knife the hell out of there. He should have taken Gouda or some other guy to back him up as well. That just wasn't very smart. Never fight an unknown adversary in the dark.
lubczyk is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 18:21   Link #245
Demoned Away
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Anybody laughed out loud when Kanon got stabbed by that stake? I hit my head and said "Of course, the killer could throw the stakes." I think it's partially Kanon's stupidity. He went alone into a dark room with no light source of any kind and just stood there spouting his smart-ass mouth off. I was half expecting the killer to sneak up on him and shiv him in the back. Kanon should have just run with the butcher knife the hell out of there. He should have taken Gouda or some other guy to back him up as well. That just wasn't very smart. Never fight an unknown adversary in the dark.
I thought his death was such a buzzkill. Ya know? He gives that big speech and acts all high and mighty then... pop. Dead.
Demoned Away is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 18:27   Link #246
Mikachiru
test
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post
Anybody laughed out loud when Kanon got stabbed by that stake? I hit my head and said "Of course, the killer could throw the stakes." I think it's partially Kanon's stupidity. He went alone into a dark room with no light source of any kind and just stood there spouting his smart-ass mouth off. I was half expecting the killer to sneak up on him and shiv him in the back. Kanon should have just run with the butcher knife the hell out of there. He should have taken Gouda or some other guy to back him up as well. That just wasn't very smart. Never fight an unknown adversary in the dark.
I didn't laugh, partially because I like Kanon and because I don't see what's so funny about someone getting stabbed in the chest.

I want to point out that Gohda is dead. Second the lights weren't working. And the only reason Kanon went into the boiler room was because he knew the killer could escape through the door on the opposite end of the room and didn't want him to escape.
__________________
Mikachiru is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 18:29   Link #247
Kitsu
The unlucky one
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hiding
Quote:
I didn't laugh, partially because I like Kanon and because I don't see what's so funny about someone getting stabbed in the chest.
I like him as well but I could still make that idiotic "pwned" video ^^

But Mikachiru is right the murder of his sister was in that boiler room and coud have esaped. I would have done the same, I think
__________________
Thanks for the Signature, Vandakiara
Kitsu is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 18:29   Link #248
MarthX
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 29
So far I'd give the anime an out of 8 out of 10 for an adaption. It's good and it's getting more hate than it deserves from elitist visual novel players, but I do think it could a lot better.

We're getting game music and sound effects. Even though some are remixes and we don't always hear the full song, it's a lot better than nothing. With Higurashi, there was no game music whatsoever. I think more people should be thankful for that. Until it was revealed that anime would have game music, I was convinced that there wouldn't be since Higurashi didn't have any.

Nothing truly important is skipped. Someone who's only watching the anime can formulate theories about on the level as a visual novel player who's on that Episode. Of course the visual novel will have more details but that's to be expected. The anime would have a ridiculously slow pace if it explained every small detail. Then we'd have anime only watchers whining that the pace is too slow and nothing is happening.

The pacing is decent. It could be better but as said in my earlier point, nothing that important is skipped. They're covering most things. And let's be honest here, The visual novel's pace isn't perfect either. It has pacing issues with barely anything happening the first 1/3 of Ep1. It's easy to look back on it and realize the characterization was important but when you first went through it, you most likely found it a chore to go through. All that characterization can be spread across later episodes instead of dumping it at the beginning like the visual novel.

The artwork and animation aren't too bad. There's some bad frames here and there (what anime doesn't have bad frames?) but the artwork and animation level is nowhere near as bad as Higurashi's first season. It's about on Kai's level, which is satisfactory for me. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer it if it had beautiful visuals like other anime airing this season but it's nowhere near bad enough for me to really complain. It's also humorous how people who can deal with Ryukishi07's art is complaining about how something looks.

Complaining about stuff like the fanservice is just dumb. The visual novel had fanservice as well: Shannon's leg tattoo, close up on Shannon's breasts and later stuff that I won't say. Double standards going on. I can understand fanservice breaking the mood but people are over-exaggerating it. It's not like there's panty shots or people getting naked for no reason.

It seems visual novel players are going out of their way to find things to complain about. It gives the Umineko fanbase a bad name.
MarthX is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 18:37   Link #249
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 26
As Klash mentioned, the VN players aren't actually hating on it as much as you think, based on the ratings--they just have more to complain about. Calling people out on it only leads to snowballing, as well.

The current atmosphere is really as much the fault of people who criticize the criticism as those who criticize the anime itself.
k//eternal is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 18:48   Link #250
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ImaginaryLand
Age: 24
So nobody's allowed to be bothered by anything, point a few things out that they didn't like, or say anything too negative about the anime itself.

They're opinions people, you don't HAVE to read them.
__________________

momobunny is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 19:15   Link #251
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Well yea...if you look at the ratings and consider 6/10 to be the average...the vast majority is still above it. But lets not start this again. As much as it is tiring to hear people commenting on the faults, it is even worse to hear people ignoring them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoned Away View Post
I thought his death was such a buzzkill. Ya know? He gives that big speech and acts all high and mighty then... pop. Dead.
Naturally the mood that the original gave off was more tragic and angsty than this comical act in comparison...but it can't be helped
Didn't help at all either that Kanon sounds like a girl, bleh..not GAR enough.
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 19:18   Link #252
Kitsu
The unlucky one
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hiding
Quote:
Naturally the mood that the original gave off was more tragic and angsty than this comical act in comparison..
I think that's because they cut out the scene in which he collapses struggling on the ground and then pulls out the stake himself as a last act of rebellion against the witch

Quote:
Didn't help at all either that Kanon sounds like a girl
Tell me about it
__________________
Thanks for the Signature, Vandakiara
Kitsu is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 19:46   Link #253
Mercurius
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
Yes, it's a detail, but it demonstrates a poor attitude toward the series (and even toward the viewers) by the producers. Same with the vastly toned-down personalities of the characters.

What's the big deal? It's because the details of Umineko are really what make it great: the "lots of people die on an island, whodunit" story has been done over and over. What makes it stand out are the depth of the mystery and the characters, as well as the tone of the story and the suspense behind it. This episode really shows a lack of respect for all of those things.
My thoughts exactly. And for the most part, save for a few major omissions (*cough*Battler'sfamily*cough), the anime is following the details and "rules" of the VN fairly well. However, simply following the chronological order of the scenes from the VN does not automatically make a great anime. Just like how simply reciting the lines to a play doesn't make for great theatre. There needs to be some TLC into the spirit and intent of the VN in order for those chronological events to start having the impact on the viewer that they did in the VN. And if this is considered over-complaining, then so be it. I love Uminkeo and can't stand to see such a great story be mishandled by a bunch of hack animators.

I do hope that DEEN realizes the importance of actually taking the time to buildup some of the plot and characters by Episode 2, where it really starts to matter.

Enough ranting. My notes for 1-4:
Spoiler for Episode 1-4: blunder:
The only other thing bugging me is the placement of the large version of Beatrice's portrait (not the one in Kinzo's room). It seems to be shown next to the stairs in this episode, but in 1-1 and 1-2, it seemed to be by itself at the end of a hallway. More quality animation from DEEN. They can't even copy paste correctly.
__________________

Last edited by Mercurius; 2009-07-25 at 19:54. Reason: kihihi...
Mercurius is offline  
Old 2009-07-25, 20:07   Link #254
Baru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Your Mind
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to Baru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
The only other thing bugging me is the placement of the large version of Beatrice's portrait (not the one in Kinzo's room). It seems to be shown next to the stairs in this episode, but in 1-1 and 1-2, it seemed to be by itself at the end of a hallway. More quality animation from DEEN. They can't even copy paste correctly.
The portrait was always near the stairs, from what I remember...
Baru is offline  
Old 2009-07-26, 13:26   Link #255
gtr06
Golden Watch
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Age: 30
The picture of Beatrice in Kinzo's room is suppose to instill fears that you can not escape her eyes! They should have focused on it to make the atmosphere darker!
gtr06 is offline  
Old 2009-07-26, 17:50   Link #256
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post
Nothing truly important is skipped. Someone who's only watching the anime can formulate theories about on the level as a visual novel player who's on that Episode. Of course the visual novel will have more details but that's to be expected. The anime would have a ridiculously slow pace if it explained every small detail. Then we'd have anime only watchers whining that the pace is too slow and nothing is happening.
To side with the criticizers, as an anime-only watcher myself it would take alot for me to drop a series because of pacing being too slow, but I know that for a fact that varies from individual to individual so what you say is true. Some will complain about slow pacing in a series even when it's a very faithful adaptation from it's source material, it's happened many times before. No matter how a series gets handled you can't make everyone happy as there will always be someone out there that won't like it for any given reason, that's just the way it is unfortunately
Karlson is offline  
Old 2009-07-26, 22:00   Link #257
y0shi
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cologne (Germany)
Could someone enlighten me on that mackerel joke? What can be so funny that it gets that much attention? Or is it something story relevant? Do they all have hallucinations frm food poisoning? Please only answer this if it isnt a spoiler or anything relevant xD


e:/ mackerel not makelele, thats a soccer player xD
y0shi is offline  
Old 2009-07-26, 22:10   Link #258
unconfirmed
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gensokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0shi View Post
Could someone enlighten me on that mackerel joke? What can be so funny that it gets that much attention? Or is it something story relevant? Do they all have hallucinations frm food poisoning? Please only answer this if it isnt a spoiler or anything relevant xD


e:/ mackerel not makelele, thats a soccer player xD
It's more fanservice than joke. In the VN Kumasawa frequently makes mackerel jokes and they decided to finally allude to that in the anime in this episode....in the form of canned mackerels. Too bad it was such an awkward attempt since the scene was really serious and mackerels just had no place in it.
__________________
unconfirmed is offline  
Old 2009-07-26, 22:10   Link #259
Akuryou
*cackle* *cackle*
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Porto Alegre, Brazil
Send a message via MSN to Akuryou Send a message via Skype™ to Akuryou
Kumasawa makes constant jokes about mackerel throught the novels. That's all really.
Akuryou is offline  
Old 2009-07-26, 22:12   Link #260
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
It's a joke that comes from Kumasawa that everything she cooks has mackerel in it due to fish being healthy for the body and whatnot. She would also tend to inject the mackerel gag into pretty much whatever she says when she wants to lighten the mood (mackerel cake anyone?) and this became a somewhat renowned gag from the game. The mackerel tin in the episode is supposed to tickle the bones of those who know the gag well (ie VN readers) and it seems like it has pretty much flown over the heads of first time viewers because it wasn't mentioned often enough in the anime to draw any connections.

edit: tche...fast typing yaros >.>
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.