AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-02-28, 19:28   Link #1
Love Witch
Trying to think...

Question Can't delete files?

I'm having a problem for some time:
I can't delete, change names or move some files to other places!

I already have this problem for a long time and the gb are starting to built up.
I notice that I mostly have the problem with .avi files, which are, like you all know, big files. And usually the biggest ones.
It's really getting on my nerves

Things I've tried:
shutting down every prog running, expect the essentional ones
starting up again (the files are now months old)

My computer is:
Windows XP
No real firewall or anti-virus, but some freeware like spy sweeper and I occasionally use the online scanner of trend micro

If you need more information just ask and if you have a solution post it please!
Love Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 19:41   Link #2
Necrodeath

I think you should get a virusscanner, i've used trendmicro, but it doesn't find all the virusses (I.E. norton found virusses TM didn't). I have no idea what else you could do...
except of course format c:...
Old 2004-02-28, 19:54   Link #3
7thMethuselah

i have the same problem from time to time. It's always torrent files if it occurs. How to solve it

1. reboot comp and make sure no programs start up (especially ones that use avi, torrent files), then try deleting the file
2. same as above but instead of delete move the file and then try delete
3. if its a torrent file , pick another torrent and save over it (example: PMK 20 wont delete, try to dl FMA15 and save over it), then stop dl and delete (this one always works for me)
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 20:05   Link #4
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

This should help to avoid the locks in the future.

For old ones:

1. Try to reboot and then delete then.
2. Create some file in the same directy as the file you want to delete, mark both and try to delete them together.

If none of those work, run an error scan on the drives affected, maybe reboot again and delete.

PS: Wrong forum
Old 2004-02-29, 00:17   Link #5
RavenChild
エリック

Send a message via AIM to RavenChild Send a message via MSN to RavenChild
this is a common windows xp bug. it says that the file is in use. i just reboot in dos or safe mode and take it out. it does get annoying after awhile though.
Old 2004-02-29, 02:09   Link #6
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
actually
if you just create a new user account you can take off the offending file there
works for me anyway
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 02:23   Link #7
Griffith

This happens to me on ocassion, only with .avi files as well. An easy way to fix it, is to cut the file and move it to your desktop, then delete it. It works for me every time.
Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 14:25   Link #8
Solstice

If the problem is mostly with avi files, you need to carefully listen to your computer's hard disk. For me, when trying to delete a large file like an avi it helps to only select it and let it sit there for 30 seconds until I hear no more 'i'm in pain' noises from my machine and then pushing the delete button.

I've also had some virus 6 months ago that didn't let me delete files AT ALL on my C:\ disk. Called RedLof. But that only applies if you can't delete small files.
Old 2004-03-01, 04:17   Link #9
nooc

Wheck this out:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/100406.php

nooc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-13, 20:50   Link #10
Akichan
Ichi wa zen, zen wa ichi

Send a message via AIM to Akichan
Deleting files...

I downloaded two movies and my computer won't let me delete them, not even after a few reboots. Please help!

Akichan
Akichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-13, 21:26   Link #11
JustAnotherFan
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

A few tips to remove those files

And a tip to avoid that in the future
Old 2004-03-17, 01:24   Link #12
Cheese
Dries with fakes or fears

Send a message via MSN to Cheese
Media files that don't want to be deleted...

For some reason, my whole media folder became read-only, so I can't delete, rename, or move files. When I go to the folder properties to un-read-only it, and apply the changes, it appears as though it works. But then when I go back into the folder and delete a file, it still says it's write protected. In fact, every time I close and open the properties window, it re-read-only's itself. Even keeping the window while deleting doesn't work. Does anyone know what's wrong with my computer?? I didn't know who to ask, so hopefully someone computer-savvy will see this and pity me.

Hmm.. how does this relate to anime.... Well, the file I'm trying to specifically delete is a REALLY bad AMV. I need it off my computer! o.O;;

(Btw I've run Ad-aware and Norton antivirus, both fully updated, and neither caught anything.)

Thanks in advance,

Cheese
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 05:53   Link #13
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator

It might help if you tell us what operating system you are using. I'm guessing Windows-Something... probably XP?

Chances are your problem isn't read-only files but "file locking" that happens while you are browsing with explorer. I've have seen problems sometimes where the read only "check box" doesn't clear display as you might expect; which would explain why you think it is still read-only. Two options spring to mind: If you know what you are doing you can force explorer to close the handles it keeps open -- I'm guessing you don't want to do that. The other option is to reboot or log off and then log back on again. This will make explorer "let go" of the files and thus allow you to delete or rename them.
Old 2004-03-20, 12:25   Link #14
Cheese
Dries with fakes or fears

Send a message via MSN to Cheese
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
It might help if you tell us what operating system you are using. I'm guessing Windows-Something... probably XP?

Chances are your problem isn't read-only files but "file locking" that happens while you are browsing with explorer. I've have seen problems sometimes where the read only "check box" doesn't clear display as you might expect; which would explain why you think it is still read-only. Two options spring to mind: If you know what you are doing you can force explorer to close the handles it keeps open -- I'm guessing you don't want to do that. The other option is to reboot or log off and then log back on again. This will make explorer "let go" of the files and thus allow you to delete or rename them.
I tried restarting, but it does the same thing as before. I also read another thread similar to this and disabled a registry key, but that didn't work either. Any other suggestions?

EDIT - I think this problem has something to do with me installing software that can read OGG files. It seems all of my undeleteable media, including audio, has been classified as an OGG.

Cheese

Last edited by Cheese; 2004-03-20 at 12:49.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 00:21   Link #15
Archangel

Can't delete/move file

Sometimes when I download a file to a certain folder another copy later appears in this one other certain folder (same other one all the time). Some files that appear in the other folder I can't ever delete or move. It says the following when I try to delete "filename" than: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that could be using this file and try again. This message appears for less than a second and than disappears. This one specific file, causing the most problem, was downloaded using download accelator plus. What is going on?
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 08:59   Link #16
Ending

IIRC, Download Accelator has some AD-ware in it. It just might be that it had placed the banners to that other folder for use while you were downloading. If you want to delete the file, I suggest that you press the magic combination and terminate every excessive program (you can).
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 23:15   Link #17
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
IIRC, Download Accelator has some AD-ware in it. It just might be that it had placed the banners to that other folder for use while you were downloading. If you want to delete the file, I suggest that you press the magic combination and terminate every excessive program (you can).
It's not just files that I download with DAP. The other day a copy of a bittorrent download ended up in that folder, but I was able to erase it. It was only like a portion of a finished download I had put in a different folder. Weird. Should I just delete the DAP program perhaps?
Old 2004-05-24, 00:20   Link #18
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

It's a Windows XP issue and corrupted (incomplete multimedia) files. DAP or BT creates partial files with the .avi. Applications such as getright creates a temporary file with the .getright extension to get around this problem.

Go to here for solution.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1055415144
________
TOYOTA HILUX PLATFORM

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:11.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 00:35   Link #19
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
It's a Windows XP issue and corrupted (incomplete multimedia) files. DAP or BT creates partial files with the .avi. Applications such as getright creates a temporary file with the .getright extension to get around this problem.

Go to here for solution.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1055415144
Thanks, I will check it out.
Old 2004-06-25, 08:04   Link #20
hacks21

can't rename or delete an anime file

i can't rename or delete some of the anime file everytime i try that an error pops out and says that some other program is using it and i gotto close the program in order to modifie the file but the thing is there is no program on and i can't find any program that is currently using the file...........i tried restarting and going back to a restore point but no use .......... someone please help me
hacks21 is offline   Reply With Quote