AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-24, 00:32   Link #1
Cipher

Question Deeply Engaging 3D/2D MMORPG Suggestions

I'm looking for "New", "Widely Popular". "Less-Grinding", and "Innovative/Interesting" MMORPG's. Something that immediately gives you purposeful quests and meaningful short-term goals.
Old 2009-07-24, 11:00   Link #2
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Theres no such thing. All MMORPG's are a waste of time and space and carbon copies of each other, its an entire genre fueled by lack of innovation and bad gameplay design. Theres a few MMO's with potential but they're still way off.

Just get a real game worth your time for a console or whatever.
Old 2009-07-24, 11:46   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
though it isn't what OP asked for I must agree with Sety
there are hardly any good mmorpg's out there because most carry the same "quest to kill stuff" technique. You can never find an rpg that has "less grinding" lol
Old 2009-07-24, 16:52   Link #4
velvet nightmare

unless you find some friends to play with, i don't suggest mmos

you wont enjoy the game play at all, and no MMO to this date has ever given "immediate meaningful short term goals'. that defeats the whole purpose of sticking with the game in the first place
Old 2009-07-24, 23:56   Link #5
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

No MMO exists that meets those criteria.

I guess Guild Wars doesn't have much grinding, since you can start at level 20 for a PvP-only character, but it doesn't meet any other criteria.
Old 2009-07-25, 00:17   Link #6
Cipher

I see but its OK. I did have the feeling that there was none. I've already tried many mmorpg's and have suffered boredom throughout. I guess I'm going to stick with ps3's interesting yet repetitive shooters. Although it makes me wonder why none have tried to pass this criteria...
Old 2009-07-25, 00:30   Link #7
velvet nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I see but its OK. I did have the feeling that there was none. I've already tried many mmorpg's and have suffered boredom throughout. I guess I'm going to stick with ps3's interesting yet repetitive shooters. Although it makes me wonder why none have tried to pass this criteria...
because your description matches the best game in the world which currently doesn't exist

you can't have everything that appeals to everyone

quick payoff quests dont work because anyone with decent gaming ability would finish all the content in less than a week and have nothing else to do

same with less grinding. you finish the content, then what.

innovative and interesting is a point of view. most mmos try to update their contents with patches so almost all mmos fit this category to keep players interested
Old 2009-07-25, 00:37   Link #8
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
because your description matches the best game in the world which currently doesn't exist

you can't have everything that appeals to everyone

quick payoff quests dont work because anyone with decent gaming ability would finish all the content in less than a week and have nothing else to do

same with less grinding. you finish the content, then what.
Why not an almost infinite amount of quick payoff quests? or less grinding but more levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
innovative and interesting is a point of view. most mmos try to update their contents with patches so almost all mmos fit this category to keep players interested
I see well thanks for the help.
Old 2009-07-25, 05:44   Link #9
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

thing is all quests are based on grinding D:
you want infinite quests then you should expect grind quests in return whether it be dungeons or normal area's all quests will be based on grinding
trust me before you know it you feel like there are several other things that seem like fun and before you know it you're doing the same dungeons every day to get the gear you want so that you can go to an even more difficult dungeon and repeat the process that or you play pvp and get annoyed by your lack of good gear so then you have to pvp-grind to get better pvp gear >.<
go play fallout 3 with expansions or oblivion lol
Old 2009-07-25, 09:51   Link #10
velvet nightmare

right, you can't have lots of quests but at the same time not consider it grinding, but anyways

http://www.gameogre.com/topmmorpgs.htm

that list is pretty accurate for top mmos, dont mind the 'game lair' part for when you're trying to look up the games themselves don't know what that is

chances are you'll be looking at a pay monthly game if you want a decent game
Old 2009-07-25, 23:01   Link #11
Sasano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I'm looking for "New", "Widely Popular". "Less-Grinding", and "Innovative/Interesting" MMORPG's. Something that immediately gives you purposeful quests and meaningful short-term goals.
Well I think the people in this thread are way to pessimistic all though I do agree on a lot of points, there are a LOT of great of MMOs out there but some of them really depend on what you're after.

My suggestion is the last MMO I played, stopped played for personal reasons.But the best thing about the game was when I was starting out.I'll try and explain why i think it means your criteria.

Mabinogi
Firstly Idk what exactly constitues as new in the MMO world, but if by new you mean "out this summer" then no Mabinogi has about 1 year out in NA.The game updates frequently enough as in currently G7 out of 11 ( G = Major Update).The game is popular somewhat its usually listed somewhere on online sites, its no WoW but it has a large player base.

First off on the important ones Less Grinding : This system is what made me stick to Mabinogi after falling in love with it.YOU CAN Grind, you don't have a cap but theres obviously a leveling curve makes it harder as you go up.But theres a twist; Mabinogi has 2 sets of levels.Basically you can level up freely(be it Grinding or carefree) eventually you get the ability to "Rebirth" I.G. reset your level back to level 1 but you keep your skills ranked as they are.You have aTotal Level of the summed up times you've "rebirthed".If you haven't figured it out yet, this means that you don't NEED to grind to get stronger or make progress in the game you can play at your leisure as you will always grow stronger over time, rewarding the people that grind(with faster growth) but not punishing the Average gamer.In other words theres no obligation to grind bears for 3 hours to get one level unless you want to.

When can you rebirth?
*Every one week if you pay( 10$ ) at any age ; you get to change your looks as well.
*Or when you reach age 20 ( this translate to every 3 weeks if you want to be as efficient as possible) for free.

Next is Innovative & Interesting
Now this one is tricky because theres a lot of personal taste involved but I will try my best regardless.

To start with Graphics, the graphics are bit cartoony and resemble Anime in some form.I personaly like them is a change from the Usual Everquest Template or Korean Clone.Some people are put off some people love them, personally I think that even if the graphics arn't your thing the game is too good to pass off.

Customization ; Not only can you choose Race,Gender,Face,Hair,Skin & Age at creation(and when you rebirth with a premium card) but clothing & armor are more about looks than efficiency as an example the beginner shirt & pants are as efficient in combat as the most expensive tuxedo.If you haven't figured it out this means you can dress your character anyway you desire without worrying that you need to get better stats etc.On top of that you can change the color scheme on 90% of the clothing in game.Armor is no were near essential either but still variable and customizable .

The combat pretty much defines Innovative, is COMPLETELY different from any other MMO I've played.I won't go into much details but its about timing and strategy were you are an active part of the action unlike the WoW fashion combat "click & watch".The only downside is that without someone to teach you(or a bit of research on forums) the game can be kinda hard at the start.But again for me that made it all the more interesting.Theres no "classes" you build your character how you want, Combat is divided but not limited to one; Range,Magic & Melee.

Professions ; This isn't THAT much different from other mmos, stuff like Musician ,Blacksmiths & Potionmakers.To me the main difference is the Rebirth system because you don't ever have to slave yourself over gaining levels a player can easily be a social player that concentrates on a profession instead of combat(theres A LOT of people like this).Theres also Part-time jobs that can be repeated and are usually Town oriented tasks a nice touch specially for social players.

Muscians, you can compose your own music and play it game(sorry don't know the details) but you can also recreate your favorite songs from anime and games which is what a lot of people do.

Quests; You have normal quests and you have what is known as G# quest that can unlock special transformation that are the equivelant of Super Sayaian in game, Savage Beast(giants),Paladin/Dark Knight(humans) & Falcons(Elves) as well as narrating a pretty interesting story.

Theres a few other things but I can't keep writing so much @_@

Purposeful quest
Again personal thing but my personal experience was that the quest have a beautiful difficulty curve that rewards with self satisfaction(mostly because of the combat system).The game challenges to keep aiming for stronger monsters starting off with wolves and Bears who challenge your reaction speed and keeness rather than your level and equipment as you push through the challenge you suddenly find yourself slaying a Succubus or a Giant Golem

At least that how it felt for me, It felt like I was getting stronger along with my character, And the satisfaction of climbing over those challenges was some I've never experienced before something very personal and because of it It will remain among my favorite gaming experiences, the feeling of killing that first Bear still brings a smile to my face.

A Few CONS : To balance the bias review.
The community: The game is hosted by Nexon and its F2P, so theres a lot of Maplestory kids in the game.The maturity bar(even if you like dick jokes) is pretty low in some areas, this is of course in general.You can always find good people to hang around if you look for them.
Skill Wise : Again the community is Avg Skill is very low so partying with randoms sometimes can be burdening.So getting a close knit team is advised.
$$$$$$ : The only bad thing the premium serviced had was Rebirth but thats now changed so it isn't so bad BUT things like Housing,Guild management & Pets(ranging from combat dogs to ride-able horses) are all premium exclusive,As well as few unique articles of clothing( good thing its only a fashion statement )
BOTS : And average amount of bots, not as disgusting as some MMOs(IG Korean Grind) but they are still there.
Nexon : Horrible Customer Support, great Staff though
Laggggg : If you have a bad internet connection, you might be screwed and won't be able to fight properly.

Thats about it, kinda wrote on the spot so it might be missing a few things.

TIP : For anyone who decides to play it.
1)Golden rule of Combat : Find a Loop
1)Basic Loop: ...Hit+Hit+Hit + Counter + Block +Hit+Hit+Hit (Repeat)
2)Do those church part times, and stalk those holywaters. At the very least you can make a lot of money.
Old 2009-07-26, 08:01   Link #12
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Don't want to add much but I looked up Mabinogi, it looked great
I spend 30 mins downloading the client, made an account but then at the end when I failed to log in did I find out it isn't for all regions: only North America and ocean regions, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan and China
Old 2009-07-26, 09:34   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
There were some enjoyable persistent worlds out there. They suffered financial failures though--EQ-style grindfests just sell better to the masses who'd rather slaughter hordes of mindless enemies than contribute to the building a fictional world.
Old 2009-07-26, 10:35   Link #14
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
There were some enjoyable persistent worlds out there. They suffered financial failures though--EQ-style grindfests just sell better to the masses who'd rather slaughter hordes of mindless enemies than contribute to the building a fictional world.
I actually thought most people disfavor over-grinding and that there really was no other system that's as effectively balanced in its online gameplay or as feasable( technologically and financially) as the current bothersome one.

And I do feel that we share the same form, regarding this matter, of an entertaining fictional dream.
Old 2009-07-26, 15:38   Link #15
Re-l

Um...for 3D mmorpg:

1. Perfect World

It's a war based game but not with other but against monsters called Wraiths. I didn't need any grinding until lvl 40-45+ (somewhere around there) due to the fact that you are constantly bombarded with quests that actually mean something later on when you are higher level. . There is only a few character species but they are Winged Elves (yes they can fly), Untamed (can turn into animals depending on gender), and Humans (Um...they can run fast?).

2. Shaiya

This one is also a war based game but you can't fly or turn into animals etc.; unlike Perfect World the war is actually players vs players with two sides you can choose from (light or darkness), both consist of good species of characters however darkness tends to have more 'manly' characters why light is more graceful and elegant looking. The 4 species consist of Elf, Human, Vail, and Nordein (aka Deatheaters). It's fun when warring and stuff but grinding is needed at a really low level and you will spend more time grinding than anything else.
Old 2009-07-26, 15:42   Link #16
Cyanide
d e a d l y;

Look into Mabinogi, if you feel so inclined.

The community is nice, and honestly.. there's not too much pointless grinding, because the quests/storyline keeps you fairly leveled. Plus, that MMO has about 7 or 8 story lines by now, so unless you just get too lazy to do them, the game doesn't really get dull.
Old 2009-07-26, 18:26   Link #17
Sasano

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
Don't want to add much but I looked up Mabinogi, it looked great
I spend 30 mins downloading the client, made an account but then at the end when I failed to log in did I find out it isn't for all regions: only North America and ocean regions, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan and China
Well idk hows your internet connection but If you really wanna play the game you could try using a Proxy with a US IP.Thats what I did for awhile( I live in Puerto Rico) through out the Beta.The IP of course does make you lag so you might suffer some in gameplay but like I said if you have a good connection you might pull it off(theres also a "Lag fix" for the game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
Look into Mabinogi, if you feel so inclined.

The community is nice, and honestly.. there's not too much pointless grinding, because the quests/storyline keeps you fairly leveled. Plus, that MMO has about 7 or 8 story lines by now, so unless you just get too lazy to do them, the game doesn't really get dull.
OR if you played to much
Old 2009-08-03, 05:58   Link #18
micheut

Yes, there certainly is a MMO that meets your requests, but you'll have to wait for it to get released by the end of September (unless you live in Korea, than you can play it right away). It's called AION, watch the korean open beta teaser for a good idea.

An MMO I don't like, but the concept is seriously perfect is EVE Online, it's an absolute unique popular MMO. With extensive crafting solutions and waaaay less grinding than the mainstream MMO's. The only con for me is that it's situated in space, no epic fantasy setting.

2 other MMO's Are Guildwars and ArchLord, Guild Wars has been mentioned before. Which have an extremely unique skillsystem.
ArchLord is now free to play and to download, since Lotro has come out. It's an amazing game. But the con is that not all epic stuff is gainable, you'll have to buy stuff from an online store eventually, but you can play without ever buying stuff.

The most anticipated MMO at the moment will come out around 2011-2012 (yeah, I know... why even announce something like that) it's called Blade and Soul. But no one really knows what the game will bring. The combosystem seems really complicated, heck even simple running looks complicated if you imagine most MMO are just using mouse clicks or arrows for moving. You should definately watch the whole trailer to get an idea.

Hope this helped.
Old 2009-08-03, 06:58   Link #19
Demi

MapleStory. Halfway through your leveling the game turns into glitch-exploiting.
Old 2009-08-03, 16:12   Link #20
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

I've played them all, starting with Meridian 59 like 10 years ago... I don't think there's anything new AND innovative out right now. Most MMORPGS are sort of like WoW and Everquest clones. There are a few innovative ones(I'd like to think) that I've been playing lately, though.

Like other players have mentioned, Mabinogi is quite a unique game. One of the biggest features is that the combat engages the player, skill is a big factor in this game. Fights happen in real time and require a bit of twitch as well as the right strategy. A skilled player with a new character could solo some very difficult dungeons while an unskilled character even with the strongest character would fair very poorly just because he doesn't know how to use the skills he has properly. E.G. When I first started I used to think Rabbie dungeon was near impossible to take on solo unless you had an end-game character or a big party, but now I can clear the dungeon out solo with a brand new character(Even well built characters could die to mobs in just a few hits! But a skilled player can avoid getting hit altogether if played right). Level doesn't mean as much as it does in other games. Still, there is a lot of room for improvement, the rebirth (leveling) system is unique and you could literally spend years trying to max out your character.

The graphics would usually be a con, but since I'm on Animesuki forums, the graphics, which are very anime-like, might just be a feature. There's no subscription fee and you can play at a high level for free or pay for some additional services that mostly just make the game a little easier. The game is unique and a nice change of pace.

I will mention Entropia Universe as an interesting 3D mmorpg you could possibly check out. It's a very open ended RPG that uses real money as money in-game. There are a lot of professions, the main three are hunting/mining/crafting, there are no quests. You just log-in and do whatever the heck you feel like doing. There is no subscription fee, but just about every action costs money to do, which has led the game to being compared to a casino by some. To be honest, most will lose out in the long run. Myself, I originally just wanted a cheaper alternative to poker to satisfy a gambling habit I had built up. I'm actually one of the lucky ones who have been able to make a profit and I ended up paying my college tuition from playing the game! It also helped keep my MMO subscription fees quite low since I started playing compared to previous years. I guess, iit's a bit like Mabinogi in the sense, you can choose how much you want to put and what level you want to play at.

Back to the game, hunting is fairly mundane, I would say the monetary aspect of it is what makes it interesting. You'll need to know your monsters and your equipment to excel at it. The graphics are decent compared to other 3d mmorpgs. It should be getting a major graphics lift hopefully in the next year. They are also looking to introduce new planets, which to me, seem like individual MMOs within another MMO, where they might be related to the characters' skill/equipment... to what extent, I'm not sure. You can also own property, houses are cheap, but land areas, which can be used to tax other players who hunt/mine on your property, cost about 20 grand(It's so expensive it's probably not worth mentioning) . It's such a high price because this is what other players will pay for it, the land is completely virtual and doesn't have any fixed monetary value.

Personally, I like this game because of the freedom it gives me. There are no skill caps, so anything I do, I feel like I'm progressing. The economy of the game is very interesting too... there are some opportunities shall we say. Anyways, it's a game to keep your eye on at least, some interesting things will happen to it in the next year, I believe.

http://mabinogi.nexon.net/

http://www.planetcalypso.com/home/
Closed Thread