AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-26, 06:22   Link #21
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by retardation View Post
is gai rei actually good? never seen it discussed before
I enjoyed it a lot. The plot actually gets quite dark, and the art is lovely. There are a few annoyances (namely a few characters that don't fit in at all), but overall, it was a very good watch. The chemistry between the two protagonists really worked for me.

Give the first episode a chance, it packs a lot of punch.
Old 2009-07-27, 20:52   Link #22
Tiran86

Now and Then Here and There.
Old 2009-07-28, 08:17   Link #23
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Cross Game Trust me and watch the first episode.

You might also try FMA: Brotherhood which is following the manga storyline. While weaker early on compared to the first anime adaptation, the story gets even better later on.
Old 2009-07-28, 10:57   Link #24
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retardation View Post
is gai rei actually good? never seen it discussed before
i loved it. I cried at the end >.<!

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Cross Game Trust me and watch the first episode.

You might also try FMA: Brotherhood which is following the manga storyline. While weaker early on compared to the first anime adaptation, the story gets even better later on.
I think i'm going to wait until FMA Brotherhood finishes completely (or is close to finishing). Just curious though, can i skip the first x-amount of episodes that are similar to the original series and then just watch from the part that isn't the same?

Last edited by miroku2192; 2009-07-28 at 11:54. Reason: Double posted by accident
Old 2009-07-28, 12:05   Link #25
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

Another emotional and dark anime would be Texhnolyze.

It's one hell of a mindfuck, this one is.
Old 2009-07-28, 14:36   Link #26
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Looking for something that has a well written plot, can be dark, but should be emotional.

Though, if someone can find me something that has a well written plot w/o the other two factors, tat's great too, i could use some happy endings for once :P.

Shows i've watched include:
Code Geass Seasons 1 2 and 3 (yeah thats right, i saw the exclusive 3rd season, and ya'll didn't)
Ga-Rei Zero
Death Note (Skipped a lot of episodes because i watched the first two movies before watching this -> Should i go back and watch?)
Higurashi series
Go!
Kanon 2006
Air
Clannad Season 1 (I forgot most of the details, should i jump straight into Season 2?)
FMA

Can't think of others right now, but any suggestions. I'd really be more focused on recent years anime...

Thanks,
Miroku2192
CANAAN: I have only watched 3 episodes at this point but so far, it looks like the story is very well developed and also features some sort of grand conspiracy involving Chinese organizations and American businessmen, not mentioning that it is centralized on a type of mutation caused by iPS technology. Best of all its from TYPE-MOON and is the anime adaptation of the Wii game "428" that doesn't seem to relate on the surface but it actually does.

Ergo Proxy: I have never watched this before, even though I had suggested and recommended others to watch it as that it is one of the more popular animes which features a dark and depressing atmosphere. It is also most likely well written. To be honest, I don't like this type of anime but the story is probably very well-developed. Unlike the other stories, it is generally about a female protagonist who is capable of transforming herself into possibly a machine that kills. That's just a guess..

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: I didn't watch this series as that I don't like the idea in which the protagonist moves to a village and met a few pretty ladies who also seem to show interest in him. Sounds like a harem anime? Of course, not!!! As soon as the guy made discoveries of past murders and religious rituals involving opening up a person on stage in front of everyone in a religious ceremony to be hold every year; strange things start to happen. These pretty ladies decided to show the guy some love by wielding blades of all sorts and chase him down. Apparently, its not just these ladies but the entire village due to their religion. The protagonist is trapped and the story starts from there with multiple seasons involving parallel worlds.

Persona -trinity soul-: The story is very well written but doesn't follow the games, even though some similarities do exist, as well as cameos. Like any other Persona game, the story is somewhat dark. It all started with cases of "reverse" in which corpses are found with their organs on the outside and their skin in the inside. These cases are related to Persona-users.

Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~: This one is also very well written but the story of the anime bears some differences as the original visual novel. I wouldn't call it dark, even though the ending theme is designed to be similar to Death Note. The story starts off with a Japanese male tourist witnessing the murder of a foreign journalist who also gives him his backpack before dying and the tourist ended up falling captive and trained into a top-notch assassin by the one who killed the journalist and was going to kill him too. The story is pretty much about the two of them and their relations with members of Inferno, the organization behind everything.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni: This an anime adaptation of a popular visual novel from 07th Expansion who also made the popular yandere series Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Like the other series, this is one is also very well written and very dark. It also features supernatural elements too. Unlike Higurashi which is about a religion and rituals, as well as conservative traditions; this one is about how a wealthy family had came to be. Apparently, the founder of a large corporation had made a pact with a witch who goes by the name Beatrice in exchange for a large amount of gold and also a huge family of capable people. When the time comes near for the contractor, the witch will collect his soul along with his exchanged belongings which of course includes all the people of his family as that was part of the pact. This generally means the witch will be murdering everyone by using demons to carry out the job as that she can't do it herself for a reason which is revealed in episode 3. However, there is actually a way around it and also a mystery to solve in the form of an epitaph. Generally, regardless of who dies, when the epitaph is completed, everyone will revive and become happy. One of the main characters, Maria-chan is a girl who seems to be very much like one of those yandere female leads of Higurashi, especially at the end of episode 4. How can she sing and laugh in such circumstances?
Old 2009-07-28, 18:22   Link #27
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
I think i'm going to wait until FMA Brotherhood finishes completely (or is close to finishing). Just curious though, can i skip the first x-amount of episodes that are similar to the original series and then just watch from the part that isn't the same?
You could. Personally I think that the first anime adaptation was much stronger in the early character development, but the manga storyline has a better ending.

So actually I splice them together in my mind.

If you want to start watching from mid way I would suggest two possible starting points.

The first is episode 8. This would be a good place because the next 2 episodes follow very closely with the first anime adaptation of the same scenes (while having one major difference), and so it might help you get caught back up- basically for the next 5 episodes you'll be saying: "Yeah I remember this".

The second place to start up is episode 13, which is when Al gets kidnapped by Greed. This is the point where the first anime adaptation departed from the manga script (although it did later take some of the coolest bits and add them in).

The major important differences between the start of the two story lines are twofold.

Spoiler for FMA: Brotherhood differences:
Old 2009-09-01, 17:42   Link #28
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

I had to come back here and bring this thread back alive to just point out one thing. I want to thank all of you who urged me to watch Clannad Second Season - After story -. It was truly amazing (i just finished it in 2 days, was skeptical for the first two episodes, but became hooked and kept crying and crying...and crying and crying hahahaha).

It was a great experience, and i'm so glad i got to watch it. Thank you all so much.
Old 2009-09-02, 00:06   Link #29
npcomplete

.. if you or anyone else are still looking for recs, what I posted below also works
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...28#post2605428
- Texhnolyze, Gantz, Infinite Ryvius, Shadow Star Narutaru, Bokurano
that post has info links and video clips

also seconding the Higurashi series, Now and Then Here and There, and Zegapain

As far as emotional romances go:
- Kimi Ga Nozoumu Eien (Rumbling Hearts)
- and the classic Kimagure Orange Road + OVAs + Movie, with the Movie being the critical component. It's a long series if you haven't seen it but worth it as a setup for the final movie. You can skip or skim through a fair amount of the episodes without missing much to get to the movie.
Closed Thread