AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-03-01, 05:14   Link #21
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkintragedy
anyting that is animated, is considered anime. Is 'hentai' animated? if so, then its anime. If you want to refer to anime as 'animation from japan', then call it japanime. (japanese animation)
No sorry...
DekaMaster is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 02:39   Link #22
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deralti
Kinda the wrong forum for such a question, but I'll answer.

no no no no Never.....well..mabye.

If Tsukihime had ep 11's 'scene' more 'in detail', it would be considered hentai, but basically an anime. Hentai by my definition is anime, but shouldn't be classified in the same category nonetheless. I choose this because hentai by my opinion is just too crappy story(and sometimes animation)wise to be anywhere near.

Hentai = Sex-oriented(if not sex-only) anime-style video.
hentai = porn video imo

if you had a touching love scene in a romantic movie, or where nudity is necessary, (not a rape scene or something like that ) it should be included

tsukihime had that "scene" because it was logical.

that wouldnt have made it hentai..

hentai= sex(or other stuff like that) every ~5 minutes.

or if an anime has a plot based around sex... and not the relationships of the characters. KNGE isnt hentai by my definition.
__________________
hobobaggins is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 02:55   Link #23
Bullsquat
Strange Love
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
hentai is just a genre of anime isn't it? Just as there are the romance, sci-fi, and shoujo genres.

If you walk into a video store you'll also find the action section, drama, comedy, and the adult section. Although it's usually way in the back. And people will usually look around before browsing in that section.

Hmm, it's easier to say that Hentai is a very distant genre of anime.
Bullsquat is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 03:01   Link #24
Umbrae
Generic Human
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina Inverse
The reason for denying it is probably because most Americans had a very prude upbringing (or at least the major part of them), so they don't really know how to handle it...

You have no idea how true that is. but what do you expect from a nation "founded" by a group that called themselves the puritans. . . although puritan is a great porn mag as well

Although I grew up in a tourist spot where people rarely have inhibitions. . . well they do, but this is where they go to get rid of them. I made it all the way to 11 before my first live dildo show! When I moved to the midwest it was amazing, sex almost did not exist except in a negitive way.
__________________
Umbrae is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 05:19   Link #25
darkintragedy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
No sorry...
care to elaborate, oh great one?
darkintragedy is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 08:09   Link #26
Worldestroyer
IRC lurker
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Boston, MA USA
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Worldestroyer Send a message via MSN to Worldestroyer
I know i'm the 8th person to say this but i also agree that hentai/ero-anime is considered anime. Simply because Anime means animation, and Hentai is just a form of animation that contains sexual scenes.

Hearing the same thing being repeated over, over, and over is sligtly annoying. This should of been a poll.

And i still don't understand peoples disgust and weird mentality towards hentai.... Even thou i was born in America...
__________________
"<SirCanealot> I officially endorse any screw-ups of the English language from Worldestroyer in the name of comedy."
Worldestroyer is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 09:52   Link #27
Briareos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
Age: 44
The repressive nature of sexuality in the US has a lot to do with misinterpretations of the Bible from "great" minds such as that of St. Augustine, who decreed that our bodies are naturally filthy things, and that any pleasure derived from sex is sinful.

I totally agree with Umbrae. The Puritan ethic just represses sexuality, and repressed sexuality tends to resurface in unhealthy ways. Everyone is different, including the area of sexual desire.

Anyhow, back on topic. Calling animated-hentai anime is akin to calling Fritz the Cat a cartoon. There should be no question. It's not a distant genre, it's a genre. Like all art mediums, anime has good, bad, and inbetween. Excluding a genre because you feel it's bad is simply showing your prejudice. You can't redefine something simply because you don't like it.

Ya gotta love the people who point fingers at others and call "pervert". If having a high sex drive, and openly admitting to enjoying sex and titillation means I'm a pervert, then I'll be happy to be called a pervert. The problem with the word pervert is that it means "behavior (that) deviates from what is acceptable". Different things are acceptable to different people. Pray to God that your lifestyle never falls outside what society deems acceptable. Take homosexuals for example. What on God's green earth did they do to deserve the crap they get for simply being outside the norm? Nothing, but they happen to be outside the norm.

Anyhow, getting down off my soapbox, I'll just say that I think a lot of Americans like to distinguish between anime and hentai because of the ingnorant, conservative, anti-sex nazis who would be willing to ban all of anime just to get rid of the hentai (because they think that all anime is hentai). Yukito Kishiro said it very well in Gunnm: Last Order Vol3, "There's nothing more dangerous than ignorance."

It's also kind of telling that the author of this thread originally posted it in the "manga" forum. I think Bullet2K4 needs to study his otaku terminology a bit more.

Last edited by Briareos; 2004-03-02 at 10:23.
Briareos is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 11:42   Link #28
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkintragedy
care to elaborate, oh great one?

Would have, but the smart ass comment at the end.. No thanks.
DekaMaster is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 13:33   Link #29
Wilcon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sweden, Uppsala
Age: 27
Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
IMO hentai is absolutely not anime, i think of it as if someone would consider a pornomovie as a normal movie
__________________
Currently watching: Karekano
Once a week: Mai Hime, Final Approach, School Rumble, Gankutsuou
2 Last finished: Kannazuki no Miko, DearS
Wilcon is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 14:18   Link #30
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldestroyer
I know i'm the 8th person to say this but i also agree that hentai/ero-anime is considered anime. Simply because Anime means animation, and Hentai is just a form of animation that contains sexual scenes.

Hearing the same thing being repeated over, over, and over is sligtly annoying. This should of been a poll.

And i still don't understand peoples disgust and weird mentality towards hentai.... Even thou i was born in America...
you are brilliant.

kingranger: you just barely make it over the 10 character/post thing dont you.

Yes it is japanese animation... but i wouldnt classify it under anime... so people cant say you are looking at anime porn

cuz it is something else.
__________________
hobobaggins is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 15:28   Link #31
Briareos
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA
Age: 44
Look -- animated hentai is anime by definition.

The problem is that people are getting definitions mixed up with genres, and that some people can't seem to understand that the general American understanding of "cartoon" and the American term "anime" are worlds apart.

In America, most "cartoons" are aimed at kids and kids alone. Most American cartoons are simple, stereotypical, shallow works of entertainment. Some present carboard cut-out lessons in "morality". Few American cartoons break this mold, because in the eyes of the American "norm", cartoons are something childish and made for children. If something in America is animated and the content is not made for children (i.e. The Simpsons, South Park) it causes a stir. PTAs and churches across America boycott the cartoon because "all cartoons are made for children", and "how could someone be so irresponsible to make something animated that has content that isn't aimed at kids?!?"

Now I don't live in Japan, but it seems to me that the content of a good amount of Japanese animation is not specifically aimed at children or aimed down at them so that the kids can "understand". Rather, it seems to me that anime in Japan is like any other media (film, TV) and has titles that are aimed at a much wider audience, as well as specific neiches that do not include children. Numerous Japanese animated shows aimed specifically at children give the children a lot of credit by tackling "mature" themes that American cartoons wouldn't touch. In short, anime is a mature art form in Japan when compared to a majority of American cartoons.

Someone assuming that hentai and anime are always synonimous is ignorant. That would be like assuming that all movies are porn. Of course all movies are not porn, just as all anime is not hentai, and it's only because a majority of Americans think that all cartoons are for kids that there's a problem in the first place.

Because sex sells, a disproportionate number of animated hentai titles have made it over to the US. A lot of people have heard about those titles, and so they've gotten the unfair notion that Japanese anime equates pronographic cartoons. Yes, there is pornographic anime (which is a small niche market), but there are also wholesome children's stories, historical dramas, action adventures, comedies, sci-fi epics, war dramas -- the list goes on and on. And don't tell me that all non-hentai anime is watched for plot. Did Azumanga Daioh have a plot? Was the "plot" of The Excel Saga the draw of the show? Does the fact that these shows dump the plot in favor of comedy make them bad shows?

Animated hentai is indeed anime. Sure, it's a different kind of anime, but it's still anime. Anime is not some genre like action, film noir, or soap opera -- the word (as we non-Japanese use it) means Japanese animation. Japanese animated hentai is therefore anime.

Last edited by Briareos; 2004-03-02 at 16:01.
Briareos is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 16:14   Link #32
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
I agree with you. but i dont want it classified under anime, so people dont think all anime is porn... even though hentai is a subcategory of anime.
__________________
hobobaggins is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 21:56   Link #33
Repulse
Lagrange's stepchild
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Inside a cyclic group of order n
That's not really a good reason why hentai shouldn't be calssified as anime. Just because other ppl are ignorant of what anime is doesn't mean you should think in a way so as to have them be mistaken in another way. they're are misinformed, not idiots, just tell them what anime really is. To put hentai into it's own seperate area is like seperating a certain group of people because they bring inconvenient perceptions of the human race as a whole (interpret that last comment as you will, I state a general case with no specifics)
Repulse is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 22:38   Link #34
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
you are brilliant.

kingranger: you just barely make it over the 10 character/post thing dont you.

Yes it is japanese animation... but i wouldnt classify it under anime... so people cant say you are looking at anime porn

cuz it is something else.
It's anime no matter how you want to think if it. It is anime. If you had a cartoon of bugs bunny screwing Elmer fudd that would still be a cartoon.
DekaMaster is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 22:39   Link #35
DekaMaster
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
I agree with you. but i dont want it classified under anime, so people dont think all anime is porn... even though hentai is a subcategory of anime.

Alot of the time what you want and what is accurate are totaly different things.
DekaMaster is offline  
Old 2004-03-02, 22:55   Link #36
Umbrae
Generic Human
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briareos
Calling animated-hentai anime is akin to calling Fritz the Cat a cartoon.
+ 10 points for Fritz the Cat referance!
__________________
Umbrae is offline  
Old 2004-03-03, 01:39   Link #37
juri_miki
Death Note Fanatic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Send a message via ICQ to juri_miki Send a message via AIM to juri_miki
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
I agree with you. but i dont want it classified under anime, so people dont think all anime is porn... even though hentai is a subcategory of anime.
This is such a stupid and lame reason. Why is one genre so dentrimental to all that is anime? People also say that anime is too violent. What are you going to do next? Deny that violent shows, which happen to be the ones that fall into the apocolyptic category ala Akira, are anime? For people who think it's all porn, then it's just them being ignorant, I say.
juri_miki is offline  
Old 2004-03-03, 01:44   Link #38
Umbrae
Generic Human
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: here
actualy could we just start associating all anime with hentai. I hate close minded people, and people that will never try any thing because they THINK they won't like it.

Since hentai litteraly means strange person that fits basicly all anime, since I have never seen an anime without at least one strange character

Yes I also advocate the removal off all warning lables from basic house hold products. I want to see more people die from blowdrying thier hair before they get out of the shower. If they don't kill them selves via stupidity I am going to have to end up talking to them at one point or another, so lets just save the time of me having to kill them shall we?
__________________
Umbrae is offline  
Old 2004-03-03, 02:04   Link #39
babbito2k
annoying white bat
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by juri_miki
...Why is one genre so dentrimental to all that is anime?...
Good question. It's not just ero-anime either. Lots of people want anime to be only what they like about it - it can't just be a medium used to achieve different effects, which is all it is. It's nice to pat y'self on the back about having good taste. Just be sure to do it out of earshot of other fans.

I always like to know the target audience for any anime just so I know roughly what to expect. At least ero-anime is clearly marked whenever you run across it - if the label is saying "hands off" so be it.

As far as all this "misperception" goes, the damage was done years ago and it can't be helped. Ero-anime was cheap to license so it got brought over. The fans back then didn't get upset about it; they knew what they liked.
__________________
babbito2k is offline  
Old 2004-03-03, 03:13   Link #40
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet2k4
what do you people think
keeping it simple, hentai is porno anime, just like you say porno movies or porno pictures and porno whatever. It is anime with a sex theme. Would you put it in the normal section as anime? of course not, but the only difference between normal anime and hentai is hentai has explicit and weird japanese sex scenes

btw most westerners find the idea of animated porn ridiculous
hunterx is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.