AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-11, 19:33   Link #1
Suomi
Kaiba

New anime to watch...not too picky

I just finished Clannad and Clannad: After Story, and am looking for some new anime to watch. I haven't watched much anime, so I don't really know what I'm after.
Any suggestions for good anime, like or unlike Clannad?
Some romance is always nice...humor too. not always as the basis for the plot, but involved at least. Fantasy is good too.
(Note: suggestions can involve any or all of these criteria, but don't have to. I'm pretty open as long as it's good!)
Old 2011-04-11, 19:57   Link #2
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
If you're ok with something of romance and comedy with comparatively less drama than Clannad, I'd highly suggest Toradora it's a rather enjoyable one .

Additional I'll make the normal suggestion of checking out the other two Key/Kyoto Animation Series, Air T.V. and Kanon 2006, most people that liked Clannad tend to enjoy those two as well[I did though Clannad was the best of three, but some would disagree on that ]

Not as much Humor, but I'd suggest Bungaku Shoujo it was quite a good movie of last year for romance .
Old 2011-04-11, 21:33   Link #3
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

~ef a tale of memories and its second season ~ef a tale of melodies may fit your bill.

For something fairly different from those you mentioned, you could always check out Kara no Kyoukai or the recently airing Madoka Magica.
Old 2011-04-12, 04:41   Link #4
Rando

Since your new to anime, I'd like to suggest Love Hina which in my opinion, is one of the best when it comes to the romance genre.i just got done watching Bakemonogatari which I found pretty enjoyable
Old 2011-04-12, 09:55   Link #5
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Well, I can't really pick any particular series right now, but after the Bungaku Shoujo recommendation maybe you want to give Summer Wars a go? It's spot on. The action bits pass off a fantasy-ish feel, it's got a small romance subplot and quite a bit of humour as well. Plus it's visually stunning. Quite well animated and overall very aesthetically pleasing thanks to its colourful looks. It's worth a shot!
Old 2011-04-12, 10:44   Link #6
Akuma Kinomoto
木之本 悪魔

I'm going to second Toradora!, Kanon 2006 and Summer Wars.

You can also try Angel Beats!. But that's about where the similarities toward Clannad end. I would really, really suggest Diamond Daydreams and Kashimashi if you are indeed not so picky.
Old 2011-04-12, 12:08   Link #7
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Clannad is a great show, it helped me get my wife to like like anime..

Some shows that are also great and kind of like clannad

Fruits Basket: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=348

Ai Yori Aoshi: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...ime.php?id=833

Spice and Wolf: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=8537

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2011-04-12, 15:08   Link #8
Niji

I have not seen Clannad, and suggest some that may fit anyway All are not outright romance anime, but apart of Mushishi, have more or less strong romance going on. All have more or less strong traits of humor, though apart of Oh, Edo rocket, and GTO, I would not watch specifically for the humor.

Mushishi - most beautiful anime ever episodic, and very special, some humor, wisdom, likeable chars
Great Teacher Onizuka - Lots of humor, some romance, likeable chars. Makes you wish to go to school again, this school.
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi - martial arts, humor, a bit of romance, and very likeable characters
Shounen Onmiyouji - some humor too, romance, magic action, likeable chars, very well made, has its dark sides though
Kekkaishi - humor, fantasy, magic action, light-hearted
Oh! Edo rocket - Lots of humor, some romance, historical, but very special (a rocket should be built that goes to the moon. In 19th century, no less)
Nurarihyon no mago - magic action, humor, some romance, some dark sides too, likeable chars

Seconding Spice and Wolf, this should really fit your criteria very well.

Speaking of wisdom, though not with too much humor, I also suggest Kino no Tabi. Very likeable chars, episodic, and very interesting ride.

Last edited by Niji; 2011-04-12 at 15:43.
Old 2011-04-12, 16:23   Link #9
FireChick

If you're looking for romance, I recommend...

True Tears
Kanon
Air TV
Bungaku Shoujo

Fantasy:
Petite Princess Yucie
Princess Tutu
Haibane Renmei

Just plain pleasant:
Tamayura
Aria
Natsume Yuujinchou
Old 2011-04-12, 20:34   Link #10
marcus smith
Hardcore Otaku

Hmm, so you watched and enjoyed Clannad...

Myself; Yourself - This anime may be what you are looking for as the protagonist returns to his home town after certian circumstances in order to meet up with his childhood friends, there are ups and there are downs and there are moments in this anime that may make you cry. (Romance, Comedy, Drama)

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora - I found this anime to be a real heart pincher, the protagonist is a boy called Yuichi who is hospitalized as he suffers from hepatitis A, he meets a girl called Rika in the hospital and they start becomming close. (Romance / Drama)

Hope it's what you're looking for.
Old 2011-04-12, 22:09   Link #11
Suomi
Kaiba

Thanks everyone! I'll give some of these a try
Old 2011-04-12, 22:56   Link #12
recover

If you're like me, and you loved the later more mature aspects of After Story, then give "Kimi Ga Nozuen" a try.

It's a pretty heavy romance with an excellent story.
Old 2011-04-13, 17:16   Link #13
Suomi
Kaiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
If you're like me, and you loved the later more mature aspects of After Story, then give "Kimi Ga Nozuen" a try.

It's a pretty heavy romance with an excellent story.
I did, thanks! Awesome, I will check it out.