AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Anime -> Hollywood vs Movie/Cartoon/Game -> Anime (which is better)
Movie/Cartoon -> Anime 2 15.38%
Anime -> Hollywood 2 15.38%
It depends on how they do it 8 61.54%
I don't know 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-07-26, 18:10   Link #1
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Western to Anime and vise versa questions

Does anime do better when they adapt a western movie/show/cartoon than Hollywood adapting anime?

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 18:42   Link #2
Oppius
Banned

I really don't like anime based on Western property as much I don't like Western(usually American) cartoons suffered from anime-itis such as Cartoon Networks' Ben 10 and Nickelodeon's Airbender. The reason is simple: lack of originality. While there are lots of anime doesn't really original at all but at least they are complete Japanese products. Anime that based on Western properties is much like they were 'colonized' something. No offense to Westerners and people who loves superhero cartoons but this is my personal opinion.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 18:50   Link #3
lubczyk

I think it's kind of dumb. Imagine a Western studio animating Gundam? Why? I enjoyed Batman: Gotham Knight, but I always thought, why not make something original?

I'm kind of getting tired of all these remakes, anime, western or not. Also, there are some good Western animation studios, but they're relegated to making G rated family comedies.

I think the Western animation market needs to become more niche, while I think that the opposite should happen in Japanese animation market. Catering to Otaku nets us just more Gundam, Macross, Ecchi every season, while Americans cater to everyone and diluting any depth their projects night have had.

Look at Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, maybe those could have developed a plot by now?

I don't know, I don't like J-Dramas or American serial series like 24 or Lost. I usual stick to either anime or Hollywood Movies and some foreign movies along the way.

I just feel that there isn't enough visual media devoted to people who actually got through college. People who read Shakespeare, Tolstoy and Tocqueville.

Most visual media is aimed at the 5th grade level of comprehension.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 19:10   Link #4
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Look at Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, maybe those could have developed a plot by now?
They're not supposed to have a developing plot. They are envisioned as episodic shows where you tune into the weekly antics that the characters find themselves in. Japan's most famous anime like Sazae-san follow this format as well. These kind of shows continue on for years and years this way.

I'm not sure what you meant by the third last sentence but I wouldn't consider anime to be visual media for people who read Shakespeare, Tolstoy and Tocqueville over other mediums. Most anime isn't really all that great, just like most television and most movies aren't really that great. But you can find the gems in each pile.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 23:10   Link #5
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
western to anime, for one it depends on the studio a Madhouse production can be completely different from IG as you probably noticed from the trailers already
thing is, and what I fear will happen to both Wolverine and Ironman, that it might look awesomely drawn but that the movements will still be stiff and restricted, the stiffness reminds me of western cartoons still
that and I worry that they will use whatever unrestricted rule anime has, like cursing and gore, the first 2 trailers give me the vibe that they wanted to go DMC mode on those 2 series
the third of Halo, uugh I hate 3D animation that is so obviously seen in anime, whether it is mecha or the aliens like here, it obviously doesn't match the drawing but I still feel they will do a better job on it in wise of storyline etc.
Also remember that a 12 episode series doesn't always need a proper ending nor does it always need plot/development

I thought what they did with Batman was a good thing, at leased there you had variety in style and story and not every time the obvious matter of Bruce Wayne in a dark theme being batman
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 00:01   Link #6
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

99% of the time, either way you swing it. It's going be terrible. Both the West and East had tendencies and such that don't really mesh well with trying adapt it to anything outside of that style.

But there have been a few cases were it works, and even less were they make something far superior to the original.
Old 2009-07-27, 01:38   Link #7
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Yeah... the few examples like...

Dragonball Z Evolution: It failed badly.
Wolverine: I got worried if it will be good since Wolverine brought his katana... and he doesn't have his shaven face anymore...
Iron Man: Had no problem with it.
Halo: haven't seen it.
Akira (2011): Unsure (they decided to set it at Neo Manhattan instead of Neo Tokyo).
Speed Racer: Haven't seen it (they got rid of the spinning blades: replaced with the ones at the tires instead).
Powerpuff girls Z: OTL... got ruined.

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Old 2009-07-27, 05:28   Link #8
Echoes

Generally speaking, I can safely say that I'm not very interested in either, but Hollywood adaptations tend to be atrocious. (Hello Resident Evil) Edit: I should perhaps specify here that I'm mostly referring to games and anime here, there are some great adaptations of books out there.

The Iron Man and Wolverine trailers look... decent. I'm not going to pass judgment on either until I take a look at the final product, but I'm at least a little intrigued. That could have a lot to do with me not being too big a fan of either of the franchises, and therefore having no expectations.

Last edited by Echoes; 2009-07-29 at 07:26.
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 19:18   Link #9
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

I just showed it to my cousin... he was like wtf O_O (mostly cause it was hollywood -> anime)

Old 2009-07-29, 06:43   Link #10
klare

i dont remember watching any Western > anime yet, but i saw the the manga version of Spiderman and Star Wars and haha, better to avoid it

there is another thread i posted about my thoughts on anime adapted by Hollywood
klare is offline   Reply With Quote