AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-11-16, 01:31   Link #41
FateAnomaly

So which came first? Tips or low wages?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 01:36   Link #42
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
All I can say is that if you undertip at a regular hangout of yours (which you presumably like), its liable to bite you eventually.
In that case my strategy of never going twice to the same place is working. (well, except for the ones around the university, but you don't leave tips at those since they are fast food anyway). I've never found a place I specially like anyway, so either I'm picky or I'm avoiding them by instinct.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 01:52   Link #43
xKeen

Living in a place where it is called service tax,included in the bill.Do you guys calculate or just give an estimated amount,or just give the change?

Credits to Pellissier~
xKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 03:21   Link #44
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
Living in a place where it is called service tax,included in the bill.Do you guys calculate or just give an estimated amount,or just give the change?
It depends on the situation. If I'm paying cash then I try to round off to easy number, normally falling on the high side of a tip instead of the low side. I'm not going to short someone because I want easy change. If I'm paying with a credit card then I'm normally closer to a percentage but sometimes I still round off to even numbers.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 03:41   Link #45
npcomplete

Yes you should tip because the system is set up for the waiters/waitresses to rely on tipping. I wouldn't say so if tipping was simply a bonus for premium service.

On the other hand I think the no-tip system in other countries does relieve pressure from the customers.
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 08:08   Link #46
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by npcomplete View Post
Yes you should tip because the system is set up for the waiters/waitresses to rely on tipping. I wouldn't say so if tipping was simply a bonus for premium service.

On the other hand I think the no-tip system in other countries does relieve pressure from the customers.
That can also be good for business if less pressure attracts more customers. I like Steve Buscemi's take on tipping as well but I remember this time when I was going to dinner with my mom and my aunt when I was still little. My aunt made a joke about tipping saying she would give 1 cent as a tip xD This is in Italy though, so it's a bit different because I don't think we have the same system they have in the US. It's her way of saying how useless tipping is in the end.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 10:54   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKeen View Post
Um.... you calculate it in your head. o.O

10% is just drop the last digit (e.g. $35.80 -> $3.58), 15% would just be that plus half itself ($3.58+$1.80ish=$5.30ish). It doesn't have to be exact... just elementary school estimation.

I usually just leave the change behind as well just so it doesn't tear up my pockets -- with the advent of the dollar coin, that practice may change
Old 2009-11-16, 14:51   Link #48
Dr. Casey

I average around 30% for good service, but I go higher depending upon how generous I'm feeling. The highest I went was 200% ($80 meal, $160 tip). I don't go to restaurants very often, though.
Dr. Casey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 15:38   Link #49
Cinocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I average around 30% for good service, but I go higher depending upon how generous I'm feeling. The highest I went was 200% ($80 meal, $160 tip). I don't go to restaurants very often, though.
Frankly, tips like that are absurd in my opinion. Waiters and waitresses hardly ever deserve such huge amounts of tip. Tipping like that is more of a mean to satisfy our egos than a mean to appreciate the service we receive. If I have too much money, I would rather donate it somewhere else.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 15:57   Link #50
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
As a restaurant cook, I wish I could tip the cooks at some of the places I go. I even try to if the food is really exceptional, but usually the managers don't let me. =/ Ah, well.

As for servers, if the service is good:
-they don't pester me every five minutes
-they're attentive (i.e. an empty beer bottle on the edge of the table is a silent cue to get me more!)
-they leave the bill when they see I've finished my food/pushed my plate away
-they're not douchebags

... then I usually tip pretty well. Generally 20%.

If the service sucks, I don't tip at all. If the service sucks more than two or three times, I stop going to that restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
I'd also warn you of the dangers of frequenting an establishment at which you tip poorly or don't tip at all. Your food may not be so safe, and you may be refused service at some point.
As a restaurant head cook I will tell you right now that this is half myth and half truth.

Some cooks do this. Those cooks are colossal idiots and deserve to be shot repeatedly in the head.

I would catch other cooks doing that shit at places I worked before, and I would make sure they got reprimanded or the health department knew about it.

I'm the ultimate health reg Nazi, so if I even suspected one of my cooks were spitting (or worse) into customer food, they would be in big trouble.

Yeah, sometimes you get jackass customers who treat the wait staff like shit and don't tip, but petty revenge is not worth risking the health department closing down your store/losing your job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
I've never been I'm the waiting business, but from what I've heard, this is uncannyingly accurate. From the movie Waiting.

"Don't fuck with the people handling your food."
Unfortunately in a lot of places that is the truth. It's amazing how stupid those cooks are. If they were to contaminate the wrong person's food (a celebrity, or politician) they'd find themselves without a job very fast.

Plus the health department frowns rather hard upon this sort of behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
Frankly, tips like that are absurd in my opinion. Waiters and waitresses hardly ever deserve such huge amounts of tip. Tipping like that is more of a mean to satisfy our egos than a mean to appreciate the service we receive. If I have too much money, I would rather donate it somewhere else.
Agreed. I will never tip higher than 30%. Tipping massively like that is just showing off.
Old 2009-11-16, 16:09   Link #51
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Unfortunately in a lot of places that is the truth. It's amazing how stupid those cooks are. If they were to contaminate the wrong person's food (a celebrity, or politician) they'd find themselves without a job very fast.

Plus the health department frowns rather hard upon this sort of behavior.
Bit of topic but this kinda reminds me of this scene from True Blood (especially the last sentence where he says "tip j00 waitress"):

Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 16:54   Link #52
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
Frankly, tips like that are absurd in my opinion. Waiters and waitresses hardly ever deserve such huge amounts of tip. Tipping like that is more of a mean to satisfy our egos than a mean to appreciate the service we receive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic
Tipping massively like that is just showing off.
That's not true at all. It's also a great way to ensure you get the best service; even the laziest waiter will go to the ends of the earth to please that guy who gave a huge tip. Hell, one time I even caused a lot of internal strife at this one restaurant because the waiters and waitresses all fought amongst each other for the right to serve me and get my special extra large tip. There might have even been some bloodshed if I didn't stop going there for the sake of the establishment's peace.
Dr. Casey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 18:34   Link #53
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
I suppose if that's worth it to you but I can think of many things I can do with $160 that are better than tipping someone.

Though, this is coming from a poor person who has been left unemployed and unsupported for the past nine months thanks to our terrible economy.

If I were rich and had more money than I knew what to do with, I might have a different opinion on the matter.
Old 2009-11-17, 00:24   Link #54
Gin
*Artist

I usually tip 25-35%, maybe more if I know the waiter/waitress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Tongue View Post
Do we adjust? Apply the actual minimum wage to all service work?
Actually, they do get paid minimum wage. The tips are to make it so that waiters/waitresses can survive off of a job in the food service industry, since minimum wage isn't high enough for most people to live on.
For example:
My friend is a waiter, he makes $8 an hour (minimum wage) if he worked 40 hours a week, he would only make $320 (Before taxes) That's $1280 a month which is pretty low. And thats if he worked 40 hours a week, when in actuality he works around 25. Without tips, he would not be able to survive, and he would need to get another job. (But he makes around $100 a night in tips so he's ok)
Old 2009-11-17, 06:05   Link #55
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
That's not true at all. It's also a great way to ensure you get the best service; even the laziest waiter will go to the ends of the earth to please that guy who gave a huge tip. Hell, one time I even caused a lot of internal strife at this one restaurant because the waiters and waitresses all fought amongst each other for the right to serve me and get my special extra large tip. There might have even been some bloodshed if I didn't stop going there for the sake of the establishment's peace.
Prouf that what you do might not be the best thing to do.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 12:42   Link #56
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

By me, once your group hits six people (give or take, depends on the place) a gratuity tax is included in the bill. And after that you're still expected to tip your waitor/waitress. 15% sounds good, but to make life simpler many people just double the total tax.

But my tip is really dependent upon the service. One time the waitress threw a straw accross the table instead of walking around, on top of a lot of other bad things, she didn't get much.

I never give nothing, you should always give something. Its more of an insult to get a lousy dollar than nothing too.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 13:35   Link #57
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
As a restaurant cook, I wish I could tip the cooks at some of the places I go. I even try to if the food is really exceptional, but usually the managers don't let me. =/ Ah, well.
As a restaurant head cook I will tell you right now that this is half myth and half truth.
At best ,at some place the cooks and the dish washer get a little parts of the tip.

And for the ''spitters'' I never worked with one of thoses idiots. I wouldn't shoot them, just fired them and make sure than they never work in a kitchen again ( shooting morons do not make good pub ).

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 13:41   Link #58
Jacqueline

I usually tip the standard 10%-15%, if I actually have the funds to that is. The only time I veer from that is when the waiter/waitress provided exceptional service and was polite. I do take their attitude into account, because a bad attitude can really reflect in someone's service.

That being said, if they did give bad service or have a bad attitude, I still tip them the standard. Maybe I'll give them a word or two about how their attitude was, but here in America the waiters/waitresses can literally depend on the tips they receive because their standard pay is so low. Denying that for them could just make their attitude worse and in turn could start a chain of bad tips from other customers.

Edit: Speaking of cooks doing raunchy things to customers' food, I think it's disgusting. My mom told me stories of when she was a teen and worked at a fast food restaurant. How the people that prepared the burgers would have no problems throwing their food on the ground and stepping on it, wiping the floor with it, spitting on it. All because someone asked for something custom made. Those stories were from a fast food joint, I can only imagine some of the stories from standard restaurants.
Jacqueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 14:40   Link #59
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I tip a minimum of 15%, unless the service was utterly awful. I generally shoot for some even amount just over 15%, but occasionally I pay more. Some friends and I have been known to chip in together for a 50 or 100% tip, just to make somebody's day.

I like the idea of determining pay by service... but there is no negotiation here. That means that some people will abuse the system by not tipping.

Worse, and the reason I oppose tipping systems (other than being inconvenient for me when I don't have the right denomination of bills), is that having a tipping system encourages service industries to offload salary onto expected tips. This breaks the negotiating relationship between employer and employee. Unfortunately, escaping this system isn't so easy without it being a wide act of legislation. Any one restaurant that asks patrons to withhold/reduce tips and raises its wages to compensate will put itself in a completely uncompetitive position relative to those who keep prices low by keeping wages low.

Of course, service people who make a killing on tips don't tend to mind much, but that's not always determined solely by personal performance.

I do appreciate the tipping system when I go to Cuba, though. I feel absolutely terrible that I'm served by people of such high education and capability at points in their lives when they should be accomplishing much more grandoise things to better society instead of serving food and driving taxis. However, I'm quite pleased to tip to contribute to their well being and provide for them outside the system that oppresses them.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 15:28   Link #60
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I live in a country with no tipping culture. But I always wondered how does it work. I expect you rarely have the exact amount of money to pay the bill and the tip. Usually when I go to a restaurant I just give the waiter the money without saying anything and he comes back with the change.
However in the U.S. the tip is at the client's discretion, so when you pay do you actually tell the waiter the amount of money he must keep as a tip?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote