AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-28, 20:51   Link #1
gelo006

Animes like Great Teacher Onizuka?

I just finished GTO and it's so awesome! If anyone can recommend anime close to it that would be cool. The only thing I dislike is timid characters, they annoy me. I want characters like Onizuka. It would be great if the story is related to school or teenagers as well.

That's all folks! Thank you very much in advance!
Old 2009-07-28, 21:31   Link #2
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelo006 View Post
I just finished GTO and it's so awesome! If anyone can recommend anime close to it that would be cool. The only thing I dislike is timid characters, they annoy me. I want characters like Onizuka. It would be great if the story is related to school or teenagers as well.

That's all folks! Thank you very much in advance!
Go watch GTO the live action (Like Now!)...As good as GTO is as an anime it might even be better as a live action...I'm telling you, it got me over my GTO blues about 6 years ago...That $hit will make a grown man cry it's so good...

As for anime, Gintama might help...While it's a totally different genre (shonen-fighter) the main character is very reminiscent to Onizuka in his immature-adolescent style of dealing with even the most serious of circumstances (But as you might know, he always comes thru in the clutch)...There's even a GTO-like mini-ep at the end of various episodes where he's the teacher of the class...This show is extremely funny BTW, not just action...Over a 160 eps currently so you got lots to watch...Lots of those hysterical facial expressions in this one too^^...

Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei
(Zoku) Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei
Goku Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei
Zan Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei

They are all basically the same series, just each season adds something to the main title...It's about a comically "suicidal" young teacher and his class, and their mockery of everything associated with anime cliches', otaku life, and basic japanese culture...

Google ur heart away...
Old 2009-07-29, 09:16   Link #3
Pixelation
Dreamcatcher

There's also Gokusen which is kinda like GTO only replace an ex-biker with a female yakuza boss as the teacher. It's fairly decent, you'll probably like it if you liked GTO. =)

And Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is liquid awesomeness so I second the recommendation for that. =D
Old 2009-07-29, 09:40   Link #4
Echoes

Little compares to Onizuka's awesomeness, unfortunately.

Though if you want something with a similar setting and a similar protagonists, I got a few ideas.

School Rumble. The protagonist is a delinquent, a classic fool in love. This becomes his only reason to bother showing up for class. It's wacky rom-com at its best.

Midori no Hibi. Again, a lead who often gets his hands dirty. The school setting is present here as well, the male lead gets into fights more often than he'd like to. The concept for the anime is.... very unique. If you can't deal with that, you might want to steer clear. I found the anime thoroughly enjoyable and utterly charming, though.
Old 2009-07-29, 11:55   Link #5
Sasano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelation View Post
There's also Gokusen which is kinda like GTO only replace an ex-biker with a female yakuza boss as the teacher. It's fairly decent, you'll probably like it if you liked GTO. =)

And Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is liquid awesomeness so I second the recommendation for that. =D
Yeah I'm gonna have to second The Gokusen for someone who has an itch for more GTO , its pretty hilarious all though I would say grade down from GTO (I've heard the manga is better than the anime)

Also you could always read the GTO manga, since it goes on longer.All though the whole downgrade might be a turn off.
Old 2009-07-29, 14:20   Link #6
gelo006

Cool thanks for the animes. I'll have to think about the manga though, because I don't really read with the exception of subtitles .

Btw the first reply about the GTO live action was funny where you said it'd make a grown man cry.

Thanks again guys!
Old 2009-07-29, 16:47   Link #7
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Cromartie High School might also be something that interests you…It’s a very ridiculous and bizarre tale about a High School for delinquents…So as you can imagine every student is this over-exaggeration of ever bada$$ school-kid in various animes…It’s hilarious and one of my personal favs
Old 2009-07-30, 13:15   Link #8
CeDeR
forever hung over

i second Gintama..probably my favorite anime. GTO was great btw they should make a sequel.