AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 123 45.72%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 84 31.23%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 10.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 6.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 1.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 2.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.37%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.12%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-30, 00:28   Link #81
patnam

it looks like this episode is being highly rated as perfect 10!!!
Old 2009-07-30, 02:42   Link #82
tcaz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
They can't increase the episode count without adding on a whole third season. There are dozens of reasons why that would be difficult, so it isn't something to brush aside lightly.
And 'directing it better somehow' isn't really helpful.

Yeah, I agree they made a lot of mistakes, and the selection of scenes could have been done much better.
But you're asking for the near impossible as though it's something that should be taken for granted.

Episode 1 is only the intro to the real series. As long as they did a reasonable job on it, it would serve its purpose. Considering what we have, there's more than enough here to satisfy.
None of this changes the fact that they SHOULD have done better. It's not so much 'taken for granted' as 'we should expect something faithful', which we didn't really get. And there are numerous ways they could have more episodes for Episode 1, whether that be just adapting less novels in one season, or pacing it better. There's ALWAYS a way to do it better.

And I'm not asking for perfection. If they would have used the same pacing, same cut scenes, yet had managed to keep the characters and emotions intact somehow, I would be fine. They didn't.

But anyway this is getting a bit... not sure the word, but there's no real reason to discuss this further. So yeah.
Old 2009-07-30, 03:15   Link #83
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaz2 View Post
And there are numerous ways they could have more episodes for Episode 1, whether that be just adapting less novels in one season, or pacing it better. There's ALWAYS a way to do it better.
How can they pace VN 1 better and not end up rushing through VN's 2-4 which are way longer? DEEN have a limited amount of episodes to work with.. 5/6/7/8 is the best split for 26 episodes considering the lengths of each VN.. though whether DEEN ends up going with that split remains to be seen. VN's 2-4 are much more interesting than VN 1.. just look at who the fav character of the series is for one... and compare their time in VN 1 to the rest.

Yeah sure they could've adapted VN's 1-3 in 26 episodes but I'm sure anime only watchers would be ecstatic with having to wait at least a year for a conclusion after VN 3 (I think 4's a better end to wait a long time off imo). Also not taking into account the slow pace of VN 1's first half could lose a lot of viewers... they aren't just appealing to VN fans, they want to reach a new fanbase as well...

Last edited by Westlo; 2009-07-30 at 03:40.
Old 2009-07-30, 03:35   Link #84
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Downloading gg subs right now.

Let the true mindraping begin.
Old 2009-07-30, 05:03   Link #85
Demoned Away

This episode was really, really good. I can't wait to see what happens next! I've only read Episode 1 of the Visual Novel so now I'm all caught up.
Old 2009-07-30, 05:44   Link #86
oompa loompa

Will it be a spoiler to ask

Spoiler for :

Apart from that it was a really good episode. I thought the character designs were actually well done.
Old 2009-07-30, 05:46   Link #87
Saerianne
*cackle*

Actually, no one really knows. It was like that in the VN.
Old 2009-07-30, 05:49   Link #88
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Will it be a spoiler to ask

Spoiler for :

Apart from that it was a really good episode. I thought the character designs were actually well done.
Well... personally I thought she was talking to the player (me/you) in a 4th wall breaking thing but that's open to interpretation.
Old 2009-07-30, 06:08   Link #89
Unknown Soldier
:D

I think she was talking to Battler. Letting him know the rules of the game, and that she's only going to help him enough to give him the tools he needs, it's up to him to do the rest. Also she makes it pretty clear she's not pals with him, she's only doing it to amuse herself.
Old 2009-07-30, 06:11   Link #90
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
The "????" is a tea party destined to those who aren't human. Therefore, unless Battler ceases to be human for some reason, it cannot be him.
There if no real need to determine whom Bernkastel is talking to, both explanations are valid.
Old 2009-07-30, 06:26   Link #91
ShadowThingy

Original BGM's, faithful to the game....

Epic Win, thats all I can say.

Watching/Reading:
Sekirei
Soul Eater
Rosario + Vampire
Vampire Knight
Old 2009-07-30, 06:46   Link #92
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

There should be a "WTF" option for the episode poll..... (the episode 's brilliant in normal scale, btw)
Spoiler for Ep I-V:

A really important question:
Spoiler for Beatrice's ability:

Also btw, about the tips:
Spoiler for Ep I-V tips and Bernkastel:
Old 2009-07-30, 06:50   Link #93
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

The Endless Magic is said to allow the practitioner to kill the same individual endlessly, which means the said witch can revive and kill again and again the same target.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2009-07-30 at 09:35. Reason: too much details I guess
Old 2009-07-30, 06:56   Link #94
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The Endless Magic is said to allow the practitioner to kill the same individual endlessly, which means the said witch can revive and kill again and again the same target.
You means the magic will revive someone, kill that person, then revive that person again, then kill again....and repeat?
Old 2009-07-30, 06:59   Link #95
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

That's correct.
So you can imagine it will be the concept behind the several worlds: reviving them for a new game, kill them, rinse and repeat.
Old 2009-07-30, 07:04   Link #96
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*´∀`)ノ

My, this episode was quite excellent o.o; It's nice to see them putting more scene so that they didn't miss many events in VN. Oh, I also like at how they connect the killing with the portion of epitaph that fit in the beginning of the episode :x Also the scene after the last murder happens, it's quite a good scene for me ;_;

For Beatrice's seiyuu. . well, she is indeed a 1000 years old witch, huh ? ;_;

Old 2009-07-30, 07:10   Link #97
yukito

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Spoiler for Ep I-V:
Spoiler for 1-V:
Old 2009-07-30, 07:12   Link #98
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That's correct.
So you can imagine it will be the concept behind the several worlds: reviving them for a new game, kill them, rinse and repeat.
The magic is quite ridiculous to say the true.
Make me starting to doubt if the culprit is the one who under this magic, and was trying to solve the epitaph (include killing everyone in such ritual) to put an end to the witch and save her/his life.... While Beatrice use him/her by making the culprit fails and let everyone believe in her existence

But then... the motive is just too easy, too obvious and appear so early in the game/anime that i actually believe it's a trap to diverge our thoughts (Maria is suspected the most, because she tried her best to spread Beatrice-ism ) . Maybe it's not the final culprit

But i am happy that ppl say EP II to Ep IV will be even more interesting. I was afraid EP I took off all of the suspension...
Old 2009-07-30, 07:49   Link #99
unconfirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well... personally I thought she was talking to the player (me/you) in a 4th wall breaking thing but that's open to interpretation.
Well, perhaps it's also possible that you, the player, are Battler.

After all
Spoiler for ever17 spoiler:
Old 2009-07-30, 07:51   Link #100
Kazane

Easily a perfect 10 for this episode. Despite not ending with murders, I was still stunned speechless. Ah, it really feels like some other studio was behind this.

Anyway, I'm feeling it. The vast universe of Umineko that I've yet to really enter. I now realize why most of the game veterans said that Episode 1 was but an introduction. I feel like I've only gotten a glimpse at the true nature of this story, despite having already gone through five whole episodes.

Similar to the first chapter of Higurashi, this one ended with a letter requesting help as well. Though I am confused as to why the sender was Maria, of all people.

Well, no matter what, I hope this stable pace and impressive storytelling carries over to the next Episode.

And just throwing this guess in here: I think Natsuhi probably tried to shoot Beatrice but as the TIPs imply Beatrice was a mirror of sorts and the bullet was reflected back to her. So she technically killed herself, albeit unwillingly. But that also seems like Beatrice wanting to make me believe that she's invincible.

PS: Really, just how many transformations did the original Rika go through to end up as this... evil witch? I'm glad she's on our side, of course.
Closed Thread