AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 31 11.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 9 3.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 5.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 5.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 14 5.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 11 4.01%
4 out of 10 : Poor 9 3.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 8 2.92%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 13 4.74%
1 out of 10 : Painful 148 54.01%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-07-31, 11:32   Link #321
stubby42

Nah the ninth episode will still be an endless eight, I'm sure of that, its just this one will actually end, we've had eight endless episodes so it fits the title.

On a seperate note, I started thinking about it whilst downloading the episode but endless eight wouldnt of been so painful if they'd of told the events from each characters point of view.

but then it wouldnt feel as endless if they did that which seems to go against what they were striving for.
stubby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 11:39   Link #322
Forever
Revealing the truth

Argh let it end, let it end.
Old 2009-07-31, 11:40   Link #323
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

I don't actually expect this to end next week. As depressing as it is, it seems more likely that they'll "shock" us by having it go one more, or just take it even further and make it the whole season.

Oh well.
RyougaElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 11:47   Link #324
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Episode [whatever] article is up:

[RIUVA] Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (2009), Episode 18: Endless Eight

Tomokazu Sugita sure is having fun ad-libbing at will this episode. "mikka" => "toriru deisu", "grarararararara", "....and I don't want you there!". I think the looping is getting even to him.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 11:50   Link #325
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Whining about rep is, of course, against the rules. If you want to constructively respond to a neg rep that you feel was in error - it would help to quote the comment
If you think you're being slandered in a negrep unjustly, report it to the mods - though it would have to be an extreme case to be reversed.

As far as the episode.... the looping has become an exercise in "spot the differences" for me. I'm in a Yuki-zone about it -- passive, but mentally documenting the variance. Try to imagine enduring this for 15,000+ iterations....
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 11:54   Link #326
l-l-lain
All hail Haruhi-sama!

Location: London, UK (cyberspace location: lailailain@gmail.com)
Hey, Endless Eight is even longer (for Yuki) than those Kyon-at-calculator Kyon-doing-quick-mental-arithmetic moments suggest!

17th-31st inclusive is 15 days, not 14 - the only way to make it 14 (and resetting just as August is about to become September) is to reset to the end of the 17th, but then the natural description, certainly in English anyway, of the loop period would be "18th-31st".

Still, at least it's only Yuki who's suffering 7% longer than Kyon calculates, not us viewers, hehehe

/EDIT1 Kyon-at-calculator was a different iteration...
/EDIT2 Maybe Kyon needs to get it right before the loop can end

Last edited by l-l-lain; 2009-08-01 at 14:58. Reason: sorting out my iterations, heh
l-l-lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 12:07   Link #327
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Tomokazu Sugita sure is having fun ad-libbing at will this episode. "mikka" => "toriru deisu", "grarararararara", "....and I don't want you there!". I think the looping is getting even to him.
I've actually been wondering if the script says "Sugita ad-lib here" or if they are actually choosing which randomness he says ahead of time since they have known ad-lib writers on staff.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 12:10   Link #328
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

For awhile, I have been abstaining from voting on these E8 episodes, because I wasn't sure how I should rate them. I thought that I'd end up voting out of spite or hatred, so I thought it was better to stay my hand. However I have now come up with a completely non biased way to vote for the E8 episodes. The quality of Haruhi's pool fan service! For that's the only thing filler can really be judged on.

E8 episode 1
-Overall not impressive. Most of the time Haruhi's body is drawn in a slightly deformed and undetailed and very K-on like manner. Not outright horrible, but not that good. However it does have this excellent high detail shot of her coming out of the pool, so I forgive and give it a 7.

E8 Episode 2
-This was a fantastic episode. Haruhi's chengosam esque top and skirted bottom is extremely nice. And while the episode doesn't feature any POW fanservice shot, a respectable mid tier level of animation quality is constantly maintained. Haruhi seems to remain constantly proportioned and well detailed. I give this episode an 8.

E8 Episode 3-4s
-These episodes share similar problems. While Haruhi isn't blatantly badly animated, she's not that well animated either. Nothing like Episode 2. But unlike episode 1 which had a redeeming high quality clip of Haruhi coming out of the pool, these episodes lack even that. Thus they get a 4. Not really worth even posting an image for them.

E8 Episode 5
-This episode is much like Episode 1. Overall not fantastic or bad quality, but redeemed by a detailed jump into pool shot by Haruhi. So it gets a 6.

E8 Episode 6
-Probably the worst one as far as it comes to fanservice. While Haruhi's heart 2 piece is cutely designed, it doesn't cancel out this. Yes Kyoani, I bet you thought we wouldn't notice that. That's just blatantly bad. Given that this doesn't have a high quality frame of Haruhi either, I am forced to give this a rating of 3.

E8 episode 7
-Another very good episode. We start out with a very good shot of Haruhi assets and through out the episode the animation manages to keep a slightly better than average quality. So this episode wins an 8.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 12:25   Link #329
otacu
Flag forever

Just a thought.

Random episodes from Season 1 was fun?
Endless repeat of E8 is fun?

Well let's combine the two things!

Next episode we have the END of the E8 arc.... and after that we have 4 more E8 episodes in random order.

Oh... i can just see the brilliance in this
The fans will just love this fine piece of art
otacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 12:26   Link #330
resoLv777
watch?v=HY0PtgOwt6g

Compilation of all Swimsuit + Yukata scenes
Old 2009-07-31, 12:47   Link #331
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

rofl..... nice way to summarize the eps to date
Old 2009-07-31, 12:49   Link #332
Lost-Wisdom
Wis-dom-matic

Ouch, look at the difference of ratings from the 1st season to the 2009 (2nd season) renewal.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6430 (1st season)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10924 (2nd season)

While I know the amount of ratings given for 1st and 2nd are drastically different, it still shows how everyone is really, REALLY, disliking this so called "Endless Eight".
Lost-Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 13:04   Link #333
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

meh... these are all 'punishment' ratings rather than anything I'd consider 'reasoned review' ratings. They're also ratings from non-Japanese viewers, many of whom don't buy product. I'm not saying this hasn't been a huge marketing failure.... but its just hard to take people seriously who don't buy the stuff.

Watch... future cons will have special rooms for "Endless Eight" marathons. It'll be like the Rocky Horror Picture Show or the Trek marathons of 'worst episodes' where everyone takes a drink at given moments.
Old 2009-07-31, 13:18   Link #334
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:

While I know the amount of ratings given for 1st and 2nd are drastically different, it still shows how everyone is really, REALLY, disliking this so called "Endless Eight".
Could you leave me out of your everyone please? As someone who is enjoying the arc I don't really like the generalization. ;p
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 13:41   Link #335
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Could you leave me out of your everyone please? As someone who is enjoying the arc I don't really like the generalization. ;p
... Your signature really fits you. Is your real name Fuura Kafuka? ;p

Anyway! Let's just go out and ask some random passerbys on their opinions about Endless Eight!

"Mr. Hobgoblin, are you still willing to watch next week's Endless Eight episode?".

"How about you, Mr. Soul? What's your opinion on the quality of the current arc?".

"Mr. Wayne, is it true your young companion has gone into a loop of his own repeated after each episode of E8 airs?".

"Finally, Mr. Loomis, as one of the lesser known associate producers for the series, what do you have to say to your public?".

OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 14:09   Link #336
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
meh... these are all 'punishment' ratings rather than anything I'd consider 'reasoned review' ratings.
And you know this how? Just because you personally don't see a reason to be displeased with repetitive shows?

An excessive amount of repetition is considered one of the cardinal sins of art and creative endeavors in general - it's a big part of why the word "cliche" carries with it such a negative connotation. "Cliche" can mean, amongst other things, a particular narrative framework (i.e. the shining knight in armor saves the damsel in distress from the fire-breathing dragon) that's been overused to the point that most people are bored with it and/or its become so commonly known that it fails to make any sort of new worthwhile input into reasoned insight on anything.

Likewise, the narrative framework for Endless Eight has simply been overused. It's no different really than, say, a pro sports show deciding to show seven (or more) different replay shots from different angles of the same hockey goal - continuing to do so even after play has resumed, preventing the viewer from seeing actual natural game progression. Two or three replay shots from different angles may have value to it, but seven? At the expense of watching play resume?

No, that's excessive. No, it would simply constitute a very bad handling of the hockey broadcast - one that would cost that particular station viewers to a competitor, not to mention hockey fan outrage that would make this board seem tame in comparison (believe me, it would).

Endless Eight, as a whole is no different here.

Does what I wrote above fail to be a reasoned review of Endless Eight as a whole?

Now, as for individual episodes... yes, some of these individual episodes are actually quite good. Perhaps all of them are if taken separately (sheer familiarity with these subtitles is a lot of what made me hate episode 7 after all). But, it's a case where a bad art concept drags down its component parts.

Also, as for individual episodes... I'm going to admit that I was very pleasantly surprised by this latest episode. But part of that surprise actually goes back to why I hate the arc concept in general - I'll explain what I mean by that in my episode 8 review in my next post on this thread.

Quote:

They're also ratings from non-Japanese viewers, many of whom don't buy product. I'm not saying this hasn't been a huge marketing failure.... but its just hard to take people seriously who don't buy the stuff.
Many of us, including myself, who have been very critical of Endless Eight, do buy the product.... or did buy the product, in any event...

Quote:

Watch... future cons will have special rooms for "Endless Eight" marathons. It'll be like the Rocky Horror Picture Show or the Trek marathons of 'worst episodes' where everyone takes a drink at given moments.
Fans can do an excellent job of making lemonade out of lemons. Big kudos to resoLv777 for trying to compile something worthwhile out of this, for example. I haven't watched resoLv777's YouTube video yet, but I look forward to doing so.

But that doesn't make the lemons themselves any less sour.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 14:14   Link #337
Little Buster
Punkish...Regulary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post

can't help but laugh
This is why I gave the episode a 6/10. Koisumi, sit down!
Old 2009-07-31, 14:33   Link #338
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Okay, you know what? Fuck this. I'm going to freeze myself and when this arc finally ends, someone's going to have to thaw me out.
The Bloodlust Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 14:42   Link #339
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And you know this how? Just because you personally don't see a reason to be displeased with repetitive shows?
I see plenty of reason to be displeased (I figured 3 eps were more than enough). But I also see many, many votes and crabbing from people who haven't seem to have actually watched the episodes in question. They're just seem to be there for the rage...

Quote:
Does what I wrote above fail to be a reasoned review of Endless Eight as a whole?
Why, no, it was wonderfully reasoned.... but then how many posts do you see that actually *do* that?

Quote:
Many of us, including myself, who have been very critical of Endless Eight, do buy the product.... or did buy the product, in any event...
Then the comment wasn't directed at you naturally. But really... do you think "many" posters in the various forums actually buy product? Especially the more incoherent ones?

From a sociological viewpoint, I'm going to be very interested in how this plays out if, for example, the 'reward' is an entire season of new Haruhi immediately following this one.
Old 2009-07-31, 15:08   Link #340
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Now, unto Episode 8...

A lot of spoilers here for anybody who hasn't seen it.

Proceed at your own caution!

I have to say, I was very impressed by this episode.

The impression I get from this episode is that the art team that handled it is cognizant of the anti-Endless Eight sentiment amongst much of the Haruhi fan base, and did its best to address that sentiment in a way that would be pleasing to the fan base (but, alas, are under executive direction to not end the arc yet). Now, maybe that's a false impression, but it's one based on a few noticeable clues that this episode provided.

First of all, in the "Kyon-kun, denwa" scene, we see/hear Kyon repeat the word "Strange" many times. This is a difference from previous episodes, and for me, it flows with how the viewer feels towards Endless Eight as a whole. Both as a meta-commentary, and as in-canon, the handling of this scene was at its best in this iteration, I think.

Then we have the gather for the bike ride scene. I liked Haruhi's style and zeal in this scene.

Next we have the swimming pool scene. This swimming pool scene was masterfully handled, I have to admit - the fanservice shots of Haruhi are almost like a "Here's something to make up for this arc" gesture from the animation team to the fans.

Then, this scene introduced something that genuinely stunned me. I can't believe that they actually decided to slip this into an Endless Eight iteration of all things...

They had Haruhi lose at something...

Haruhi clearly states that Yuki is beating her at some sort of swimming contest. Repeatedly beating her (as Haruhi calls for rematches).

I can't recall Haruhi ever losing at anything.

Granted, this is just some inconsequential swimming contest, but still, Haruhi is actually getting beat at something.

Daring! Unprecedented! Possibly changes my very outlook on Haruhi's character.

And to think that they slip this into an Endless Eight episode... wow.

Brilliant move for this particular episode. It made me forget, for awhile, about how awful this arc is.

Also, the use of the black/white video effect, and having a part of the swimming pool scene repeat itself was also brilliant. It was unexpected, and stood out. It made me think about the actual story (instead of meta-commentary) for a change - "Hhhmmm... are these tens of thousands of repetitions starting to degrade the time-space continuim? Do they present a threat greater than simply forcing people to relive the same two weeks over and over again forever? Could existence itself be threatened by this?"

Granted, this is coming from the Star Trek fan in me, but it was still good to see something a little bit new in the sequence of events that had an actual potential bearing on how you view the narrative itself.

The scenes between the swimming pool scene and the kimono scene flowed very nicely and quickly. Here I'll mention that I like the darker visual tones for this episode. Reflects the dark mood in general of much of the Haruhi fanbase right now...

Just before the kimono scene, we begin to see the start of Kyon's hemorrhoid problems, as he keeps touching his butt while he's lying on his bed A tiny little change from everything before it, but a funny one nonetheless. Also, is this the animation team's way of saying "Yes, we know this Endless Eight arc is a pain in the butt for you... so Kyon now has a pain in the butt himself since he's the one repeatedly failing you"?

For the kimono scene - nice to see the "En_less" store sign and Koizumi and Kyon stand outside of the store for a change. That's a real change-up, and a nice tip of the hat to the fans.

The black/white animation effect is used quite nicely again at the festival scene.
When Kyon says "I get the feeling I owe her..." (about Nagato), it just clicked for me... yeah, Kyon, you do owe her... for putting her through this Endless Eight hell! I'm sure others noticed this before, but this was the first episode where that line did anything at all for me.

The summer work and cicada catching scenes are wisely sped through. The summer work scene in particular is QUITE old by now, while all the drama of the cicada catching scene is drained by the fact that Haruhi obviously wins it, every time.

Kyon's aggravated shouts (while continuing to touch his butt - ha ha!) during Mikuru's phone call to him were different and funny.

Then comes what, by far, is now the most annoying scene of them all in Endless Eight for me - hearing that damn exposition over the story concept yet again... ggaaahhh!!!

But... this art team finds a way to lessen the pain as if shooting an anti-depressent into you. First, they remove Mikuru's ultra-annoying *classified information!* spiel.... then the visuals for the rest of the scene are so bizarre and unexpected that they drew me away from those hated subtitles. While we looked at Koizumi's watch for what seems like a full minute, I started to think of making a YouTube video of this scene to an Esquire watch commercial.

It was a pleasant comedic thought to take my mind off of Endless Eight itself.

Later on for this scene, we get visuals of two empty trash cans, and of trash (an empty wrapper and dripping popsicle stick) on the ground. This animation team's subtle way of saying "Yes, our dear fans, we realize that this Endless Eight arc concept is garbage", perhaps?

Even if not, these visual shots, like Koizumi's watch, distract from the aggravating subtitles (because of the dialogue - not because of the excellent sub work for these episodes - HUGE kudos to the subbers who are actually putting themselves through this arc for us Haruhi fans!).

Background music is handled beautifully for this scene - great how the change kicks in, and becomes much more ominous, when Nagato begins to explain how dire the situation is.

Then we have the stargazing scene. This episode we have Kyon actually repeating the words "I love you..." as though he is seriously considering taking Koizumi up on his suggestion. Very nice touch! Very nice narrative alteration! Kyon's blushing really put this over.

The rest of the episodes speeds by fairly fast, which serves to make this easier to watch.

It contains three other noticeable good elements for me...

1) It's easy to miss, but Haruhi's semi-evil smirk/smile at 22:13 . I honestly really loved seeing that, as such a small detail as it is. I was so tired of bubbly, cheerful, sweet-as-sugar-pop Haruhi - being reminded, even so mildly, of her megalomaniacal side with that semi-evil smirk/smile that I haven't seen since Season 1 was extremely enjoyable.

2) Magnificent video work at Kyon's "There it is again!" This video work was actually freakin' Bleach level. Well done! Once more, this video work managed to engage me with the narrative itself on an enjoyable and suspenseful level.

3) The episode ended nicely, on an ominous note. The drama for how sinister this situation is just seemed a bit better played up in this episode for me.

One other general positive note - nice smile shots of Mikuru. Mikuru was starting to annoy me to death with her perpetual crying, but this episode downplayed that a lot, while providing some very nice close-up shots of her being happy at times.

All in all... I was startled by how good this episode is. As much as I loath this arc concept in general, I'm actually going to have to give this episode a 9/10. I'd give it a 10/10, but I just can't justify giving anything Endless Eight a 10/10.

This art team did a great job of rewarding the fans for our long-suffering loyalty to the franchise through a gorgeous swimming pool scene. This art team also did a great job (I think) of tipping their hats with several clues on how they sympathize with anti-Endless Eight sentiment (if not outright agree with it). This art team also successfully distracted from the more boring sections of the repetition by attention-catching visual choices (visual choices which also likely brought down the animation budget - very well done). And this art team incorporated many neat strokes of genius (showing Haruhi losing for once, showing Kyon with a substantially different reaction to Koizumi's "I love you" suggestion, showing Haruhi's semi-villainous smirking smile once more, etc...).

If I buy an Endless Eight DVD, it's going to be for this episode.

Sorry, fellow Endless Eight critics, this art team really went above and beyond here, and I think that they're sympathizing with us anyway. So, I feel compelled to reward them for that. So, hats off to you, original Season 1 Haruhi art team - 9/10 for a simply wonderful job of trying to make delicious lemonade out of very sour lemons.

...but a message for the defenders of Endless Eight as well. You can be a hater of this arc concept (and I still am), and still play the minutia game.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-07-31 at 15:25.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote