AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 11 21.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 21.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 13.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 19.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 15.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.92%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-03, 18:01   Link #81
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
oh i will
Don't do such a thing to my favorite character.
Old 2009-08-03, 19:21   Link #82
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
The writers chose some of the worst squad members for the show, honestly. Not that the game play of the characters matters (I think many can agree Edy is kinda weak as far as shocktroopers go), but their back stories and personalities are pretty weak. There were better options, I think.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-08-03, 19:48   Link #83
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
The writers chose some of the worst squad members for the show, honestly. Not that the game play of the characters matters (I think many can agree Edy is kinda weak as far as shocktroopers go), but their back stories and personalities are pretty weak. There were better options, I think.
I HIGHLY doubt you could've picked a better sniper for the squad than Marina. She is my favorite of the game.

As for Edy, she was picked due to her popularity in Japan. Sure, us in NA may not all appreciate her quirks, but she's a fan favorite of the Japanese.
Old 2009-08-03, 19:56   Link #84
Snowman24

I still cannot believe they think they need 3 snipers in 1 squad, Marina, Oscar and Emil. But guess that doesn't matter since no one in squad 7 really uses the weapons they should be using for their soldier type.

The balance otherwise is good, cept we have lancers who don't use their lances 98% of the time and use a machine gun or rifle in its place

and...18 episodes in and we've NEVER got to see Marina in Sniper Action...I've been waiting for that for since I saw she was in squad 7. She's just used a rifle like the scouts or engineers use :*(
Old 2009-08-04, 03:46   Link #85
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
As Runty mentioned, Edy is a huge favorite in Japan, so it would have been pretty silly on their part to not include her in this show. It hasn't been enough, though i'm pretty happy with the amount she's been shown, and lines she's had. Quite a lot when you think of how this show basically ignores the rest of Squad 7. That seems to be changing a bit as of late, which is good.

Shame they couldn't leave in Edy's rivalry with Rosie though.
Old 2009-08-04, 03:57   Link #86
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman24 View Post
The balance otherwise is good
What would you do with only one additional scout, not to mention a useless one like Suzie

Yeah the anime's squad selection is pretty weird, but I think there's a reason behind it. They went for the personalities that felt the most inadequate on a battlefield; well except Marina who got flanderized in a shy animal lover instead of being an antisocial hunter. The original recruitable cast from the game has very diverse personalities and motivations and it's kind of a shame they left that out; none of the killers (Jane, Vyse, Musaad, etc..) made it in the main cast (except Marina).
That an the animators have a shouta fetish. Homer is understandable since Edy's there, but then they add both Oscar and Emile, and to top it off they create Ramal!

The decision to make them all scouts probably has to do with cell animation. It's so they can reuse as many cells as possible instead of making new ones for each type.

Last edited by don_Durandal; 2009-08-04 at 07:50. Reason: lapsus - Oscar =/= Homer
Old 2009-08-04, 07:28   Link #87
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Ironic that Faldio was keeping Welkin from being harassed at the funeral, but finishes the episode by punching him in the face.
Iv watched that scene 3 times now and i still justify Falido punching Welkin. Even if rationalize that Welkin was being pitiful or wallowing in self pity he just buried his sister let him do what he wants to do act punch him. Next bullet better hit Faldio then Welkin can punch him for not dodging it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Don't do such a thing to my favorite character.
Edy who? ok ok im not bashing him just kind of forgetting him im still in mourning over Isara.

Quote:
I haven't played the game (seen it played numerous times) and even I am starting to get disheartened by the character line up and a number of other things. But technically i am still having fun with the series so its ok.
Old 2009-08-04, 13:22   Link #88
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
As Runty mentioned, Edy is a huge favorite in Japan, so it would have been pretty silly on their part to not include her in this show. It hasn't been enough, though i'm pretty happy with the amount she's been shown, and lines she's had. Quite a lot when you think of how this show basically ignores the rest of Squad 7. That seems to be changing a bit as of late, which is good.

Shame they couldn't leave in Edy's rivalry with Rosie though.
I understand Edy's inclusion, despite the fact I find her incredibly irksome, but as mentioned otherwise, 3 snipers is too much. Oscar and Emile are very weak in the story department. Marina... Okay, I like her, but she doesn't provide for a very dynamic character. I feel like she was changed from the game to be "funny" for the anime. I don't see her being like that in-game.

Quite honestly I think Catherine has the best story of the snipers. Jann... Okay, comedy. I can see that.

Susie? Useless.

Except for Edy and sometimes Jann, the other squad members are really... dull. And Edy isn't dull in a bad way.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-08-04, 15:07   Link #89
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

So, just seeing the episode today, I thought that I expected more emotion out of Welkin at some point, but it didn't happen. Kinda weird Welkin seemed to be a completely different character from what I expected from when the series started.

Also, Rosie's song was absent for some reason during Isara's funeral. That's like a major point lost man.
Old 2009-08-04, 15:38   Link #90
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
Also, Rosie's song was absent for some reason during Isara's funeral. That's like a major point lost man.
She still sang for her, which was a pretty touching scene. Nicely done showing how Squad 7 members are taking her death.
Old 2009-08-04, 17:40   Link #91
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I kind of wishes Faldio would have turned a blind eye to their pit digging. It would taken an entire platoon to get that cowardly fast ass douche out of it he. VC captured how a lot of high ranking offciers are often emotionally cut off from the ones they lead. Some officers have never seen combat yet still give orders based on inexperiences of having never been to the front and feels because he is general he is owed respect and prestige i hate that so much i could punch something:heh. Oh well i take solace in knowing that karma is a bitch and he will get whats coming to him. There is still a little secret that has not come into the light yet.
Old 2009-08-04, 17:42   Link #92
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I kind of wishes Faldio would have turned a blind eye to their pit digging. It would taken an entire platoon to get that cowardly fast ass douche out of the pit :heh. Oh well i take solace in knowing that karma is a bitch and he will get whats coming to him. There is still a little secret that has not come into the light yet.
I'd rather Faldio fell into the pit, and never found his way out.
Old 2009-08-04, 18:03   Link #93
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
I'd rather Faldio fell into the pit, and never found his way out.
Fabio is a super hero, he'll fly out with ease or maybe just talk the pit into freeing him.
Old 2009-08-04, 18:12   Link #94
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Fabio is a super hero, he'll fly out with ease or maybe just talk the pit into freeing him.
Actually he'd probably stop time just before he's about to fall in the pit, and switch places with Welkin, meaning Welkin would fall into the pit.
Old 2009-08-04, 20:21   Link #95
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Actually he'd probably stop time just before he's about to fall in the pit, and switch places with Welkin, meaning Welkin would fall into the pit.
Seems like the direction the scriptwriters are going.

Anybody get the feeling we're all being trolled, and the intro scenes of Welkin and Alicia together are a gotcha that'll end up really being Faldio and Alicia?
Old 2009-08-04, 20:28   Link #96
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Anybody get the feeling we're all being trolled, and the intro scenes of Welkin and Alicia together are a gotcha that'll end up really being Faldio and Alicia?
Jesus Christ, don't jinx it man.

I mean, sure, whatever... I don't like that pair at all, but more than that... just why? What's the point of going this troll-ish direction? For shits and giggles?
Old 2009-08-04, 20:31   Link #97
Snowman24

To even the playing field and destroy the love triangle..they should introduce Juno Coren in the next episode.

lol, that would be interesting stuff to watch...it could happen, they introduced Fina the Medic last episode seeminly out of nowhere.
Old 2009-08-04, 21:57   Link #98
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Jesus Christ, don't jinx it man.

I mean, sure, whatever... I don't like that pair at all, but more than that... just why? What's the point of going this troll-ish direction? For shits and giggles?
I'm just saying... They're making such a huge effort to f'ck up Welkin and prop up Faldio this entire series, it wouldn't even surprise me if they went that route anymore.

These writers must have been high on drugs when they were coming up with this crap.
Old 2009-08-05, 00:39   Link #99
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Nope. I am 100 percent sure this won't end up like Canvas. I didn't mind the ending though but definitely not in VC because Fabio is too unlikeable. It would be like if that short green hair girl who looks like a mushroom got the guy in Macross. Who would want that?
Old 2009-08-05, 00:42   Link #100
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Nope. I am 100 percent sure this won't end up like Canvas. I didn't mind the ending though but definitely not in VC because Fabio is too unlikeable. It would be like if that short green hair girl who looks like a mushroom got the guy in Macross. Who would want that?
The green haired girl that looks like a puppy dog half the time?