AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-08-08, 09:46   Link #21
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
i don't know if this is underrated but how bout persepolis, i loved the story, the animation, everything about it was awesome. it's about marjane satrapi and her growing up in Iran during the Iranian Revolution, and also her leaving to go to Vienna and experiencing different cultures and attitudes. It also has big names in French film like one who voiced her mother, dang can't remember her name but it's well known.
I really want to see that movie! But everytime I go to the rental store, they don't have it sadly. Glad you mentioned that film!
PrincessFrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 11:09   Link #22
driveby
movie provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFrani View Post
I really want to see that movie! But everytime I go to the rental store, they don't have it sadly. Glad you mentioned that film!
Figured I'd register to help ya out. I don't really plan on sticking around but...

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/ca...903348GambbGrD

Seems a bit eccentric for me though I hope you enjoy it all the same
driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 11:31   Link #23
Gin
*Artist

Not really underrated but kind of unheard of:

Old 2009-08-08, 11:48   Link #24
CeDeR
forever hung over

Philosophy of a knife
Blueberry
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
The holy Mountain
The Acid House
Santa Sangre
Eyes wide shut
maybe not underrated but ill name it so u watch it if u havent
Citizen Kane
Old 2009-08-08, 11:58   Link #25
escimo
Paparazzi

There´s been many really good films mentioned already.
To add a few:
Gattaca
Equilibrium
Hellboy
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Old 2009-08-08, 14:51   Link #26
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveby View Post
Figured I'd register to help ya out. I don't really plan on sticking around but...

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/ca...903348GambbGrD

Seems a bit eccentric for me though I hope you enjoy it all the same
Apperantly, I can't. I'm under 18. Oh well.
PrincessFrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 17:44   Link #27
nanafan
horo fan

liked that trailer gin
transamerica
i second sunshine of the spotless mind
the science of sleep
i don't know if this one is underrated but i like it a lot: penelope w/christina ricci

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 21:00   Link #28
Vizco
Chaos Bringer

Send a message via AIM to Vizco
hajimemashite, Im Vizco

I few movies that I liked (in don't think they are underrated, but they are not as well known because they are older.)

I liked Alfred Hitchcocks 'Rear Window' (an old black & white movie many say 'Disturbia' was based off of)

some of Billy Wilder's movies were also very well done in my opinion, like 'Roman Holiday' and especially 'The Apartment'

arigato gozaimasu
- Vizco
Vizco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 21:14   Link #29
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Location: Living on a remote island somewhere in the South Pacific
Has anyone here heard of Nobuo Nakagawa's Jigoku from 1960? This movie is so underrated that people overlooked it by saying Herschell Gordon Lewis' Blood Feast was the first movie to introduce gore. While Blood Feast was the movie that introduced the "Splatter" sub-genre in horror, its not the first movie to use gore. Its much like how John Carpenter's Halloween (1978) introduced the "Slasher" genre when there are alot of films before it could be considered slashers (e.g. Black Christmas, Psycho).
Old 2009-08-10, 21:36   Link #30
Vizco
Chaos Bringer

Send a message via AIM to Vizco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Tokiha View Post
Has anyone here heard of Nobuo Nakagawa's Jigoku from 1960? This movie is so underrated that people overlooked it by saying Herschell Gordon Lewis' Blood Feast was the first movie to introduce gore. While Blood Feast was the movie that introduced the "Splatter" sub-genre in horror, its not the first movie to use gore. Its much like how John Carpenter's Halloween (1978) introduced the "Slasher" genre when there are alot of films before it could be considered slashers (e.g. Black Christmas, Psycho).
no, I haven't heard of that and will have to check it out =D,
but your gore/splatter genre description makes me think of Suicide Club (Suicide Circle in Japan), would you recommend it? can you describe it a little more? is there a detailed plot, or is it just a horror/thriller?

arigato gozaimasu
- Vizco
Vizco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 21:42   Link #31
james0246

^I actually recommended Jigoku (in the Suggestion section) just a few months ago. It is a great film, beautifully composed, with wonderful stylization. The ending is quite good, and still one of the best horror endings I have ever seen.

That being said, pre-Code America had several gore films (not true gore films, but realistic depictions of dismemberment and other extreme bodily harm), so Jigoku can't really claim to be the film to introduce gore into the history of cinema, but it could be considered the godmother of modern gore (since H.G. Lewis is generally considered the godfather of modern gore films).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizco View Post
no, I haven't heard of that and will have to check it out =D,
but your gore/splatter genre description makes me think of Suicide Club (Suicide Circle in Japan), would you recommend it? can you describe it a little more? is there a detailed plot, or is it just a horror/thriller?
Suicide Circle/Club is a very interesting film with several very intense, very evocative, scenes (most notably the first suicide scene). But, around the midway point, the film really starts to lose itself, and it ends on a rather silly note. Still, it is worth a viewing, and it is a good conversation piece, especially if you watch it with friends.

Be prepared, though. Director Sion Sono, a well known Japanese poet, takes a very poetic approach to describe and analyzing his various themes (suicide, isolation, family, etc). So, visually, the film is quite nice, but it lacks a great deal of depth, and feels needlessly complex to just needless at times (similar to most of Sono's films).

Last edited by james0246; 2009-08-10 at 22:46.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 21:45   Link #32
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

I have yet to watch Jigoku myself actually, since I heard about it and decided to check it out on IMDB. The gore is described as over-the-top (especially for 1960) with people getting flayed or disemboweled by a saw through the abdomen. The movie depicts the Buddhist underworld as the title implies. And its so underrated, not alot of people heard about it and claimed that Blood Feast (1963) was the first gore movie.

@James0246: There are movies before Jigoku that has gore. And example would be Caltiki: The Immortal Monster (1959) which shows flesh desolving from the bone when the blob-like creature consumes its human victims. But yes, Jigoku could be considered the godmother of modern gore.
Old 2009-08-10, 21:47   Link #33
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

I really liked the movie "Lolita," But it deals with such a controversial subject...

Could this be.... *gasp* A harem?!
Sugar_Prayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 21:51   Link #34
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Prayer View Post
I really liked the movie "Lolita," But it deals with such a controversial subject...
Never heard of it before. Is it good?
Old 2009-08-10, 21:55   Link #35
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Tokiha View Post
I have yet to watch Jigoku myself actually, since I heard about it and decided to check it out on IMDB. The gore is described as over-the-top (especially for 1960) with people getting flayed or disemboweled by a saw through the abdomen. The movie depicts the Buddhist underworld as the title implies. And its so underrated, not alot of people heard about it and claimed that Blood Feast (1963) was the first gore movie.
It is definetly underrated, and deserves much apreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Prayer View Post
Which version did you like, the Stanley Kubrick's 1962 classic, or the more modern 1997 Adrian Lyne's version? Both are good, but for very different reasons.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 02:00   Link #36
nanafan
horo fan

billy wilder did have great movies, roman holiday is definitely a classic, sabrina too. lolita is based on the novel by nobakov(sp?) the reason it's controversial has to do with the fact of a young girl in a relationship with an older man..i hope that doesn't tell too much.

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 02:09   Link #37
qwertyuiopz

little nemo isnt underrated lol

pan's labyrinth...most likely since its not english
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 02:58   Link #38
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
I was just reading through and noticed that most of the movies named aren't really underrated. Maybe to general people who didn't like it, it could've been underrated but to me most of the movies that were named seemed like A list movies.

Pans Labyrinth was amazing. I have to say I haven't watched a movie that good in a long time.

If you guys want to watch a underrated thriller movie definitely check out a movie called "Donkey Punch". Those who know what it actually means might be skeptical about the movie but in all truth I'm sure most people will actually enjoy it.
Old 2009-08-11, 08:28   Link #39
Gordy Lechance

Hmm

Stand By Me
Willow
Mortal Kombat
Cliffhanger
Mimic

More to come later.
Old 2009-08-11, 10:19   Link #40
Sugar_Prayer
The Awesome One

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It is definetly underrated, and deserves much apreciation.

Which version did you like, the Stanley Kubrick's 1962 classic, or the more modern 1997 Adrian Lyne's version? Both are good, but for very different reasons.
I liked both, though, I did like the more recent one a little better since i thought the characters were very well-played ^^

Could this be.... *gasp* A harem?!
Sugar_Prayer is offline   Reply With Quote