AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-24, 03:16   Link #1
wao
OK.

Densha Otoko

Anyone heard about it? I saw an article about it in my local newspapers. Apparently there was this guy who fell in love with a woman he helped to fend off an old drunk on a train... hence the guy is called Densha Otoko - the Train Man. After he got a pair of Hermes teacups from her as a thank-you gesture, he related his woes about asking her out on the popular chat site 2-channel... and in the words of the article which I've been using extensively, "his messages fired up a community which cyber-supported him over his two-month courtship which became successful".

The guy described himself as 1.72m and 68kg, 22, and looking "just like anybody", but his crush apparently resembled Japanese actress Miki Nakatani (star of The Ring, iirc), was richer, 1.6 m and looked older.

It's a 364-page book released by Shinchosha Publishing, sold at 1300yen each.

What do you think about this? I wonder if it's true, but then again, it must be a very appealing and inspiring story: it's very relevant and it's also heartwarming that random personalities on the net whom you've never met can actually give you real support... I just hope their relationship will actually keep going - if the lady he liked was mature enough to accept him for what he is even though he's a "nerd", hopefully she won't just throw him away. That'd be rather anti-climatic, too :P.
Old 2004-10-24, 05:10   Link #2
Sakai
libro de mi padre

If you can read Japanese, you can read the full story online at
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Milkyway-...trainman1.html
Old 2006-06-07, 06:13   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

Densha Otoko

Anyone see the live action series of this? I just finished the second episode. It looks really good so far. Hilarious. I guess there's a book and like 2 manga and a movie or something also about this. Supposedly based on a true story - about an otaku helping a hot girl on a train and his attempt to woo her with the help of a group of people on a forum.

Kinda old I guess since it aired nearly a year ago, but I just discovered it when looking through a manga forum.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 12:58   Link #4
ShikaShika
無罪

There's a whole thread in the fansubs forum unless it got wiped out in the forum hack like most of this thread seems to have been.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 16:40   Link #5
jedinat
フリーター

Tell me who you are, whomever gave me negative rep for making a new thread for this. I will beat you up. The other thread (this one now, i guess) was 2 years old an had nothing to do with the live action show. It didn't even exist when this thread was made
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 17:07   Link #6
Illuyankas
I need another drink.

Really? Christ, some people can be prissy. And damn you too, random neg-repper, for reminding me of the word prissy. I feel like a geography teacher now.

On topic, good for him, hope he got royalties, and very lucky he didn't ask at 4chan ("I need help, /b/." "KILL YOURSELF, lol.").
Old 2006-06-14, 10:50   Link #7
Wavie
Freedom

Send a message via ICQ to Wavie Send a message via MSN to Wavie Send a message via Skype™ to Wavie
densha otoko is the best live action series ive seen next to Orange Days and H2

Those 3 series are the best live action

And yes jedi i have seen all of densha otoko - it gets better as it goes on but eventually ur just like come on end it but dont get me wrong it has u leeched the whole way through.

I recommend H2 and orange days for a really good series - they are prob better than densha otoko in my opinion.
My Anime List
Wavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 08:56   Link #8
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Viz have licensed the Live-Action movie for Densha Otoko. Here's the report from AoD.

The DVD release is due in Jan 2007.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 14:21   Link #9
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer

Kitaaaa! Orewa Densho Otoko Ai ski! yep pretty good for a L-A. I prefered GTO though. And many other dramas. ^^
Old 2006-06-30, 22:43   Link #10
Otaku_Otoko
Moe Otaku

I've watched the TV live action series and all. I would like to see more shows about otaku.

I've been trying to search for Densha Otoko discussion forum or forums for Otaku for awhile, but results isn't satisfying.

The only ones I know that caters specifically for otaku are 2chan but I don't know enough Japanese to understand it completely.

Are there any good discussion forums for Densha Otoko?

I'm going off a bit of a tangent here. I'm an otaku myself, and I can relate to otaku portrayed in the show, although I don't live in Japan and go to Akihabara and the events. I can't find any Otaku here. Does otaku like Yamada, Matsunaga and Kawamoto exist outside of Japan?

In my opinion, the general people on this forum are simply casual watchers of anime, most of them come here to join the flow simply because it is popular, I've been lurking for awhile and it seems to me that people are afraid or fear in submitting to another culture, or they fear the stigma to being seen as wierd when watching anime. Most people I see like to make fun of those who do, I get the feeling and vibe about this, even from people who watch anime who I identify as casual watchers, in which I don't consider these people much. I don't find any brave souls like some of the otaku portrayed in the show carrying around anime mechandises in their bags with anime pictures out in the public.

I'm aware this a rant and a way for me to disclose my identity as an otaku, in which I know the negative association attached to it that follows from it. But I need it to get it out of my closet, I'm tired of hiding.
Otaku_Otoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-30, 22:57   Link #11
lavielove

Actually most of the regulars I used to see in anisuki don't treat badly to the people who are admitted that they are otaku.Instead,They(including me) even respect some of them.I remember one of the senior members in here admitted that he's an otaku.For me I just feel like that's just the label the community gave to them.They are watching anime and collecting the things they appreciate(like artworks sometimes,like ero satisfaction sometimes).So it's ok to disclose one identity as otaku.Actuallyfrom the way they watch the anime,the way they analyze the anime and the way they appreciate the anime , one can clearly identify the otaku-meter(senior otaku or junior otaku or otaku wannabe).

Last edited by lavielove; 2006-06-30 at 23:57.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 04:00   Link #12
wao
OK.

If you want english forums, maybe 4ch (a small English adaptation (of sorts) of 2ch, the massive uber-board that was where the original Densha Otoko "happened") and iichan/4chan would interest you. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of otaku there, but they're generally more hostile than over here and there is a fair amount of groupthink, sort of.

Perhaps if you're really serious about yourself being an anime otaku it would help to learn a bit more Japanese. After all, the source of all these things are largely in Japanese, so if you learn to understand some of it it'll help you understand some nuances of things spoken in the show, and most importantly you can start reading Japanese sites about shows and discussing them.

And someone should change the embarassing thread title to "Densha Otoko", I posted it way way back when it was just a book and there was an article of it in the papers, and not this big franchise that it is now.
That forum crash was a real pity...
Old 2006-07-01, 07:27   Link #13
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Take it from her. She's a real otaku, IMHO.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 10:09   Link #14
Lotiman

I saw it at some blog. With sreenshot. Not so interested.
Lotiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 11:18   Link #15
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
Can ppl plz reseed this more. I'm gonna download the second half tomorrow. It's a really AWESOME series, sweet and rly funny. The otakus are only slightly made fun of in it, which is alot better than almost every other show I've seen them in. I didn't think I'd like another LA series as much as I do LA GTO but i might end up liking this better.

Highly recommended!

As for the other matter, I would consider myself otaku as far as the american association with the word. I mean Japan is a different society and slightly different stigmas are attached to it there. But I guess I consider anyone who is intensely passionate about anime,manga,Japanese culture,etc. an otaku. Or if you're not just the 'trend-hopper' brand of otaku that popped up recently because this sub cultural is now trendy.

Although since i can get along through life, date girl, and have friends I dunno if I can consider myself as diehard as I might want to be sometimes. I've been able to do things that don't involve anime and have conversations that don't involve otkau culture, but from what I understand the Japanese otaku's entire life revolves around the culture with room for nothing else. So like I said, I dunno how otaku I might be considered in Japan/

I did notice that(much to my embarassment ) that I always wear a black-two strapped backpack with anime keychains hanging from it the way ALL the otaku do in Densha Otoko. Apparently this is a huge stereotypical Japanese otaku thing and every Japan Otaku I've seen now does it! I've been doing it for 2 years now and not even noticing it was an otaku trademark of Japanese!XDD

Last edited by Keiichi_chan; 2006-07-01 at 11:34.
Keiichi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 00:44   Link #16
cipotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakai
If you can read Japanese, you can read the full story online at
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Milkyway-...trainman1.html
No need since we got the English translation one here
cipotlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 02:03   Link #17
wilf

You might like to try 'Maid in Akihabara' available from http://iitran.secchan.net/
wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 05:00   Link #18
Otaku_Otoko
Moe Otaku

lavielove - Generally otaku is seen negatively. Very few may respect like you do, but the rest don't and it is a fact. It's kind of natural to dislike people who fantasise and escape to anything to the point of obsession, especially things that are unreal or fictional. If you just listen to the Mr Roboto song from the first episode, it is true Otaku like me can't live without. I say Otaku have ideals that can't be met, and can't find a place to belong to. It is a natural for humans to find others to accept their ways and ideals.

wao - I have already declared that I'm an otaku, I have no need to become one as I am already one. If you have ever read the Japanese on 2chan, I would say you need to be eloquent in Japanese in order to understand it as compared to what you suggest learning a bit more. If you know some Japanese, you still wouldn't understand most. And to be eloquent in Japanese, thats another story. But thanks for your suggestion.

physics223 - Is she?... if she is one, she is amazing. It's rare to have a girl to be an otaku.

Keiichi_chan - Just as you said that the Japanese Otaku life does nothing outside of their otaku culture, and based on that you aren't too much of an otaku? I'm not too certain, but if you have photos of your room, I can tell if you are one or not.

Maid in Akihabara? Well....... thanks for that. But lets see...
Otaku_Otoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 09:43   Link #19
wao
OK.

I think it's less about being eloquent in Japanese than learning the tricks and secrets of teh Japanese language which they use so frequently.
One being the very fun word-switching (using different kanji for a word with the same reading, e.g. 空気読め kuuki yome (lit. read the atmosphere, meaning "get a hint about what's going on around you" or "be sensitive" in a way (I don't know how to explain it)) becomes 空気嫁 kuuki yome (air wife).
And the famous 行って becoming 逝って.

Others being funny contractions (some for pairings, or names of things), abbreviations (略 used to the effect of "etc..." ironically becomes further abbreviated to "(ry"; 笑う (warau, laugh) becomes 笑ろす (warosu, dialectic change) becomes katakanafied and eventually just "w")

or usage of funny symbols you can convert in the IME e.g. "thanks" -> タンクス (tankusu, not used, rather サンクス sankusu is used) -> トンクス (tonkusu) -> ㌧クス (ton now converted to the minisymbol used for the weight "ton") -> ㌧
So ㌧ can just be a quick way of saying thanks.

Once you figure these things out (and going to places like 4ch do help, really) and you have basic to intermediate understanding of Japanese grammar, all you really need is an online dictionary to paste words in and you can make your way through 2ch... not like it's really a very eloquent and deep place after all!

I'm far from eloquent in Japanese - give me a business article and I'd have to read it very very slowly and I don't think I'd really understand it well. But 2ch is not hard if you get a feel for the funny things.

As for being an otaku, I guess it does sound elitist to say that "if you don't learn Japanese you can't call yoruself an otaku". But I can't help but think it'll really help you a lot if you learn it yourself because if you really were interested in finding out and learning more about anime, the culture and the feel of it all, learning Japanese will help you very greatly. Unless you're only interested in the Western fancircles and issues, which is perfectly fine.
Old 2006-07-03, 01:24   Link #20
Keiichi_chan
Star of Misfortune

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi_chan
UMmm..I have wallscrolls, a bookshelf with mostly anime dvds and manga on it, plus my asuka figure,some One Piece keychains on it with my chopper plushie and Skuld plushie. So yeah I have memorablia and stuff all over my room like you'd expect. Plus a bunch of anime and j-list shirts I wear on a regular basis with my regular stuff.

I'm pretty sure I'm considered a diehard fanboy at this point but I dunno if any americans should consider themself true otaku,which is why i prefer ppl call themselves fanboy or fangirl. Usually if people when americans considering themself otaku meet Japanese otaku, the level of devotion far supasses the american fan.

I agree with wao, study atleast some japanese. I mean, I pick up words faster from watching subtitled/japanese anime than I do when with my Japanese dictionaries and language cd/dvds. So I'd be suprised if you didn't already know atleast some words. I dont know if you'll be good enough for 2chan but you should do it just because learning Japanese is the bread and butter of foreign otaku. I don't think many people will consider you dedicated or otaku-ish if you refuse to study the language.

I'm impressed wao was tenacious enough to study as much as she seems to already have,though. That's pretty impressive.^.^

Also I may be wrong but I think in the west the women slightly outnumber the guys as far as the fanboy to fanboy ratio. I mean there's usually more girls than guys at my local anime cons. At all the college anime clubs, forum meetups, and things I've been to, it's mostly girls that show up and participate in those things. Atleast in my personal experience...
Keiichi_chan is offline   Reply With Quote