AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-19, 05:29   Link #961
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Are people still confusing Felicia's skirmish with the Old Era war? Refer to this nice chart of Ep07 (pretty informative) from the SnW wiki then. Basically, we had the Old Era war (against the "demons"), which resulted in the eventual loss of high-end tech used before and during said war. An unknown number of years after the "demons" were supposedly defeated, war broke out between surviving human factions, possibly for control of limited and dying natural resources and land area possibly caused by nuclear fallout. This second war, which ended in an armistice not too long ago, was the one where Felicia's old friends/squadmates were killed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kankyo View Post
Sure it does you even get changes from something like cheaper heating (suburban houses got bigger in like 20 years time), now imagine how extravagant (or wasteful, depends on who you ask ) your average suburban architecture would get if there was a major energy breakthrough, with no worries about carbon taxes and all that jazz
Not really. Have a look at New York:
1990 - 1993
2007/2008
The only noticeable change in architecture there is the jump from 1932 to 1980.

Now, what energy breakthrough are you talking about?
  • Cold fusion? Might be possible in 10 years' time.
  • Matter-Anitmatter reactors? Fifty to a hundred years from now, then we might see some serious investments on this.
  • Space-bound beamed solar power? We need a space elevator first. No point with our current rockets' efficiency.
  • Solar wind harvesting? Same as above.
  • And do you know what would happen if fossil fuels were suddenly rendered obsolete? Major changes in the world's economy, affecting especially the primary importers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
For all i know they didnt even show the "enemy" of the first war (it seems they started to fight against each other already after the loss), so Sora no Woto could be settled even after Second Impact of EVA
They did. Note the reflection from the building in the Old Era flashback.

Anyway, I support the humans vs aliens theory because:
  • The presence of an Old Era JSDF soldier in a European subway may mean that the Old Era war was a world effort. Plus, the chart's transcription of the dead soldier's message on the pillar hints of a non-human enemy.
  • Form vs Function - the enemy unit we saw through the reflection (and the remains in Ep01) has a weapon (presumably) that would have worked better if it had been put on an orbital satellite (the same can be said if the beam came from the tower). The Takemikazuchi (spider tanks) on the other hand, are built for mobility and maneuverability, which is very useful for urban warfare, and for taking otherwise impossible sniping positions. Wildly different design strategies may be a sign of differing weapon ideologies, which is not what humans usually have (If one side uses planes, we copy and make them more effective. When the other gets nuclear tech, we steal their research/scientists ).
  • From the local legend, referring to "the demon": It carried off the maidens that lived in the fortress and held them in an underground labyrinth.
    Gives our "demon" some sort of sentience, hence it's not just some rampaging uncontrollable experiment or mythical creature. This may mean that when the aliens had control over an area (or even won the war, if we assume that they came to earth via dimensional rift, Black Mesa style), they experimented on the surviving population, and enforced gender separation to control reproduction rates. These "maidens" could also have been mechs instead of Light Music Club members people.
  • Someone (from RandomC comments IIRC) speculated that the reason for the culture amalgamation/mixing is because humans formed something like a United Earth Coalition to fight off the aliens. This coalition could have lasted even through resistance and postwar periods, allowing enough time for the culture mixing.
Old 2010-02-19, 06:25   Link #962
NinjaYali
Banned

Supcom fun continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
. Behold, Ep07's Ancient Era flashback, SupCom version (just think of the nuke as one big laser instead ):
Spoiler for Pictures (640 x 360) Part 1: Defending the City:

Spoiler for Pictures (640 x 360) Part 2: From Both Sides:

Spoiler for Pictures (640 x 360) Part 3: Oh Noes:

Spoiler for Pictures (640 x 360) Part 4: Boom!:

Spoiler for Pictures (640 x 360) Part 5: Nomansland v1.0:

Anyway, later I will post my full views on why I think aliens are involved.
Ladies and gentlemen, I have just hacked into Aniplex website. Here are the spoilers for the final episodes.

1. HQ is getting hit hard in a surprise attack from the aliens. Kanata must open up a second front against them and defend HQ.
2. The aliens' allies who happen to be ex-followers of Iria capture a couple of Franco-Spanish spies through the help of the AI. Kanata has to save them from being killed. Iria appears at the last moment and most of her followers defect to the franco-spanish alliance rather then fighting for the aliens.
3. Oh no, Iria's secret island base has been attack. Now Kanata must defeat the aliens and save Iria before it is too late.
4. Kanata and Elite Commander Rio head on over to destroy a few enemy positions. However, Noel betrays them to the aliens and kills Rio. Kanata is trapped in enemy territory and must fend them off.
5. Kanata along with Kureha and Filicia fight to destroy the AI once and for all.
6. Kanata along with Kureha and Filicia must destroy the Aliens' portal before reinforcements are called in via the Stargate. The fight initially goes well until Kureha decides to backstab them and decides to reactivate a superweapon because she goes super berserk over fighting with the old enemy the Germans. Kanata kills Kureha and finally destroys the aliens' portal.

Iria sacrifices herself in the process to seal the gate. All of humanity calls an armistice and peace is found at last.

Come to think of it what was the plot of Supreme Commander 2? After 25 years of peace, a single bullet... Yep, the armistice may fail and clearly Sora no Woto is more a rip-off of Supcom.

Quote:
Hilarious idea... it made me laugh...
I thought it was kinda lame but glad you liked it.

Quote:
The presence of an Old Era JSDF soldier in a European subway may mean that the Old Era war was a world effort. Plus, the chart's transcription of the dead soldier's message on the pillar hints of a non-human enemy.
'World effort'

We only need to look at Filicia's old squad.
We've got a Russian (Olga TOLSTAYA)
Two Germans (Felicia HEIDEMANN, Anna BLUME)
A Japanese (Yukiika Miyaaka)

So, there goes my theory of 2nd War of Germany vs France/Spain and Russia. Now who's the other makeshift scapegoat in Europe...Italy? No, too useless. Uh...bets on British being enemy for now.

It also of course brings up the question of how the Japanese was able to sustain a force on the other side of the world supposing the Japanese government still existed. But I'm guessing more likely it doesn't as the biological weapons probably went out of control around Asia hence forcing the Japanese government, it's people and soldiers into exile in Europe. Subsequently the creatures move through Siberia and America and finally Western Europe.

And I'm guessing the Americans got hit really hard because so far there has been no Shermans or any semblance of American technology.

There's also the possibility that the Americans still exist but they're too far away to contact with the current level of technology and the lack of ocean meaning you'd have to cross miles upon miles of desert.

And reading the Speculah, there's also the point of the Orthodox Church being brought up. This of course bring me up to wonder what happened to Catholic Spain?

Quote:
Most of the time, Filicia hides it very very well.
Still for a PTSD victim, her happy go lucky, passive, Mugi-ish character seems very much at odds with the anger and unsociability we hear about from PTSD. *hugs Meganekko Mugi again*

Quote:
This coalition could have lasted even through resistance and postwar periods, allowing enough time for the culture mixing.
And it's name is Colonial Defense Coalition. Here is the leader.

Quote:
Or the Band Wars of Budokan..
More like 'Band of Sisters' amirite.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 09:49   Link #963
Upscaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
No electric motors, pneumatic pressure system. You know there already ARE walking machines actually used - not in army though: there are few types to work in badly accessable ares like Siberia, and some woodcutting ones. Not perspective for army at current state or near future, but still usefull non less.

Spoiler:
Has anyone already mentioned Big Dog on this thread?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dog

Last edited by Upscaled; 2010-02-19 at 09:52. Reason: better link
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 11:27   Link #964
Cosmic Eagle
水銀の蛇

Quote:
Originally Posted by kankyo View Post
Sure it does you even get changes from something like cheaper heating (suburban houses got bigger in like 20 years time), now imagine how extravagant (or wasteful, depends on who you ask ) your average suburban architecture would get if there was a major energy breakthrough, with no worries about carbon taxes and all that jazz

Tanks are firing over what looks exactly like present day suburbs to me, that's why I'm saying that something doesn't add up in this picture. As for the rifle, I doubt anyone would have gone into trouble of making a more advanced weapon to look exactly like a regular ol' firearm. The "Old Era" might well be right around our present time give or take a decade, if not for the crazy spidertanks...
Yet architecture depends just as much on the whims of designers. And if the standard block o' concrete that are today's common urban buildings works for the inhabitants......

After all, people in certain places still live in buildings from past eras

As for the rifle....ergonomics. If the shape works and is easy to carry...why make something that looks so fanciful? It's a weapon, not a prop. It can look like that but shoot plasma or whatever

EDIT: And for those wondering where are the US in this show....the chart on that link highlights that the people Felicia was fighting were most probably Americans
Old 2010-02-19, 13:15   Link #965
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
. Behold, Ep07's Ancient Era flashback, SupCom version (just think of the nuke as one big laser instead ):
Spoiler for Pictures (640 x 360) Part 1: Defending the City:

Spoiler for Pictures (640 x 360) Part 2: From Both Sides:

Spoiler for Pictures (640 x 360) Part 3: Oh Noes:

Spoiler for Pictures (640 x 360) Part 4: Boom!:

Spoiler for Pictures (640 x 360) Part 5: Nomansland v1.0:

Anyway, later I will post my full views on why I think aliens are involved.
This makes me realize something about spider tanks..

Spider tank, spider tank,
Does whatever a spider can.
Climbs a building, anysize.
Shooting down enemies just like flies.
Look out! Here comes the spider tanks!

Well, considering how more mobile spider tanks are compared to convential tanks, I am not surprised... This means that most of the battles that took place in Sora no Woto is mostly tanks opposed to using guns?
Old 2010-02-19, 13:18   Link #966
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
This means that most of the battles that took place in Sora no Woto is mostly tanks opposed to using guns?
Dont forget the laser dragons from outer space.
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 16:35   Link #967
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

I doubt any spider tank using pnuematic pressure could scale a building and move so quickly. Such systems are slow and very heavy.

I don't see an absence of electricity in the story. Just an absence of radio systems. Combustion engines require electrical systems for one example. And the tank the women have also has an electrical system. No radio though.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 17:53   Link #968
Jay911

Send a message via ICQ to Jay911 Send a message via AIM to Jay911 Send a message via MSN to Jay911 Send a message via Yahoo to Jay911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider View Post
I don't see an absence of electricity in the story. Just an absence of radio systems. Combustion engines require electrical systems for one example. And the tank the women have also has an electrical system. No radio though.
The kind of engines we see (in the very few cars and such) don't require high-end electronics, but the tank certainly does. Many/most engines actually generate electricity depending on their configuration. For a good fictional (yet accurate) reference on what would be the outcome of an EMP, ruining electrical service, read the novel One Second After.

The lack of radio could theoretically be explained by some kind of catastrophic damage to the troposphere and/or ionosphere. That excuse could also possibly explain the end of oceanic life, but I'm much less knowledgeable on how that could specifically happen.
Old 2010-02-20, 18:22   Link #969
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upscaled View Post
Has anyone already mentioned Big Dog on this thread?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dog
That's pretty damn cool. It's a beginning.

I've seen short clips of that robot before, but not something that shows it moving over different terrain like that.

[edit-just read the previous page]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider View Post
SF is so fun

I'd love to see the servos and electric motors they are using to make the joints on those spider tanks work. Unless they are extremely light, using some breath taking future tech or have no shielding, those tanks would be heavy. They would tear a building apart climbing up them. Even if they were the size and weight of a golf cart.
I think there's the same problem in a series like Ghost in the Shell. I've seen the Tachikoma (the sentient mini-tanks) jump onto roof tops that would most likely collapse under the kind of weight they must have. They would have to be built of insanely light materials to be able to do that.

Suspension of disbelief FTW.

Last edited by Mushi; 2010-02-20 at 18:37.
Mushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 06:11   Link #970
jwai

As an aside, which subs do you guys think are better? Chihiro or Yuurisan? Chihiro's 720p subs are considering larger in file size, but I'm not sure if that's indicative of video quality or the quality of translation.
Old 2010-02-21, 08:36   Link #971
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
I think there's the same problem in a series like Ghost in the Shell. I've seen the Tachikoma (the sentient mini-tanks) jump onto roof tops that would most likely collapse under the kind of weight they must have. They would have to be built of insanely light materials to be able to do that.

Suspension of disbelief FTW.
Considering the weapons being used there would be no need of massive armor. The tanks appear to have a very advanced AI, and considering how they moved, looking like living creatures, they are probably equipped with some type of artificial muscles rather that motors and gears. And there is no need for heavy armor. Speed and the ability to take cover are much more useful against weapons that no amount of armor can stop.

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 09:10   Link #972
OkamiNoKaze

Wow, episode 7 was great, yeah I feel sorry for anyone that skipped this as a just "K-on goes to war", they don't know what they're missing. Never expected anything like the creepy undead looking soldier guy, in this series. Anyone else thing the spider tanks kinda resemble Metal Gears?
Old 2010-02-21, 14:07   Link #973
Lightseeker

At the end of episode 7, you can see Noel, Kanata and Kureha joking along with the church orphans.

But isn't the boy the one who snapped at Noel at episode 4, and claim that he hated the army? Why is he acting so friendly now?
Lightseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 14:50   Link #974
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightseeker View Post
At the end of episode 7, you can see Noel, Kanata and Kureha joking along with the church orphans.

But isn't the boy the one who snapped at Noel at episode 4, and claim that he hated the army? Why is he acting so friendly now?
It does look like him. I don't recall anything showing how he changed his attitude. Only thing I can think of is that Kanata saved that girls life and maybe he found out about it and decided they weren't so bad after all.
Old 2010-02-22, 12:30   Link #975
ReddyRedWolf

Spoiler for ep 8:

I must say Kanata is dedicated...
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 12:31   Link #976
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
ep8:
-Rio being Iria's sister pretty much confirmed.

-Kanata pissed on the floor.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 13:58   Link #977
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for So Ra No Ju U De N Cha N 08 - Dial of Love 6700:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-22, 14:07   Link #978
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 08:
Old 2010-02-22, 14:08   Link #979