AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-03-23, 02:04   Link #1401
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I loved hearing Yuuki Aoi's (Noel's) German when she was reading the letter out loud near the end. Can anyone tell me if it was okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
....Kudos to A-1 and the director....
Director: Kanbe Mamoru (Elfen Lied, I"s Pure, Denpateki na Kanojo).
Writer: Yoshino Hiroyuki (Mai-HiME, My-Otome, Macross F, Denpateki na Kanojo).
__________________
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-03-23 at 02:20.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 02:18   Link #1402
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
By the way, how come HQ didn't use the phone line to inform them, along with all other platoons, that "Just so you know, the war is officially completely over. Yay"
Hopskin kicked the phone remember. He already had standing orders not to reciprocate as it is just posturing.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 02:38   Link #1403
Hypernova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
By the way, how come HQ didn't use the phone line to inform them, along with all other platoons, that "Just so you know, the war is officially completely over. Yay"
Hopkins kicked the phone and probably broke it straight after Kanata heard about the invasion.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 03:40   Link #1404
Sparvid
*hic*
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: A Swede in Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Hopskin kicked the phone remember. He already had standing orders not to reciprocate as it is just posturing.
Oh, I suspected that, but can't go back and check right now, since I'm at work

I forgot to mention it after the last episode, but I love how Filicia switches from the giggling, happy-go-lucky personality to Serious Business when the situation calls for it.
__________________
Sparvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 03:44   Link #1405
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
Oh, I suspected that, but can't go back and check right now, since I'm at work

I forgot to mention it after the last episode, but I love how Filicia switches from the giggling, happy-go-lucky personality to Serious Business when the situation calls for it.
This is Aya Endo from Miyuki to Sheryl Nome.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 04:45   Link #1406
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
By the way, how come HQ didn't use the phone line to inform them, along with all other platoons, that "Just so you know, the war is officially completely over. Yay"

It's spider Gundam. Noob pilots in super robot beat anything.

I really like this show. It started off as a slice of life type thing and it finally climaxed with the scifi/mecha revelation at the end.

I'd like to see the universe dived into. Is this in a test for a larger project or is it an ode to mecha anime of this nature?


The two legends do seem to describe a war between humans and aliens (maybe even SPACENOIDS!). Noel is very interesting. Is she a "newtype" like human? The colonel speaks of her as a "genius" of the academy that understands the ancient technology. She also has the unique physical features. Is she an uber child? Felicia "hears" the dead. Latent psychic powers?

Is this planet they're on even Earth?

Are there more than 2 countries?
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 05:00   Link #1407
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Is this planet they're on even Earth?
Helvetia is Switzerland. Roman Empire is the Holy Roman Empire of the German People.

Meaning a Swiss-Japanese monoculture fighting a Indo-Aryan German monoculture controlled Europe.

Why the mix nationalities? An international force was formed in the old era to combat the birds that were exterminating humanity. They failed. Military survivors integrated with the native Europeans hence the strange mish-mash of culture we see.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 05:14   Link #1408
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Age: 26
You guys better not get my hopes up for another season if there's no hope. ; )
__________________
They say you don't grow up
You just grow old,
It's safe to say I haven't done both.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 05:46   Link #1409
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Honolulu Base
This show is just begging for a prequel.


or more like I'm begging for one.
touge-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 06:26   Link #1410
Hypernova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Helvetia is Switzerland. Roman Empire is the Holy Roman Empire of the German People.

Meaning a Swiss-Japanese monoculture fighting a Indo-Aryan German monoculture controlled Europe.

Why the mix nationalities? An international force was formed in the old era to combat the birds that were exterminating humanity. They failed. Military survivors integrated with the native Europeans hence the strange mish-mash of culture we see.
And don't forget, the useless French got pwned and their entire country was reduced to a desert.

Also, I've been adding some stuff to the series trope page (as zzzzzz). Anyone else want to contribute?

Last edited by Hypernova; 2010-03-23 at 06:45.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 06:58   Link #1411
Roardel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Japan
Amazing Grace could stop the Helvetian army. It's no wonder.
Princess Iliya must have played that song so many times all over the country. And every guy must know that. Kanata reminded them of Princess Iliya.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 07:11   Link #1412
Revan21
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Wonder if Rio's cooking is the reason the Emperor was fine with letting her go to the fort ? Really seems a bit odd to work in a political marriage like this and then just be fine with her going back into the military.
Kureha said the Emperor already got two wives, so I think he'll be fine without a rebellious third one
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic86451_2.gif
Revan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 07:44   Link #1413
OrionCA
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
By the way, how come HQ didn't use the phone line to inform them, along with all other platoons, that "Just so you know, the war is officially completely over. Yay"
Because Hopkins ripped the phone out of the wall before they could tell them.
OrionCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 07:56   Link #1414
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roardel View Post
Amazing Grace could stop the Helvetian army. It's no wonder.
I guess the message is also related to the often mentioned power of the sound (music). What the language divides, the sound can reunite, because it is one and only for everyone.
No wonder that at the end of the day, a sound resonating in the sky ("Sora no Oto") could stop a war. I sincerely didn't see it as a forced situation, on the contrary it seemed a fitting resolution given what Kanata has constantly kept telling us.

I'm with Kaoru_Chujo instead, if I have to value the entire series. There were many paths in which a few steps were taken, but basically have been left unfolded. The result is a bunch of good episodes (with the exception of a fantastic episode 3 and a mediocre episode 8) but I can't really sense a "whole", for the aforementioned lack of depth in several departments.
In short, I appreciate the effort, especially on the setting and on the musics, but the script definitely needed more attention.

Put down with numbers, I'd rate this series around 7,5/10 , but rounding down to 7 (good).
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 08:21   Link #1415
Hypernova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Age: 29
IMO it's a subversion of the power of music as it only managed to stall the army. It was Rio and her peace treaty that stopped the war.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 08:32   Link #1416
Roardel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I guess the message is also related to the often mentioned power of the sound (music). What the language divides, the sound can reunite, because it is one and only for everyone.
No wonder that at the end of the day, a sound resonating in the sky ("Sora no Oto") could stop a war. I sincerely didn't see it as a forced situation, on the contrary it seemed a fitting resolution given what Kanata has constantly kept telling us.
I agree.
Japanese novel “The Burmese Harp” has the same theme.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burmese_Harp
If you can read Japanese, please try.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 09:59   Link #1417
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
So, the first winter 2010 anime series (at least the one that I watch) ends. As a whole, I like it, it got great background design, a very interesting setting, and a beautiful fitting score. I'd say that they perfectly captured Amazing Grace, which is forgiveness, redemption and hope. I still have no idea why they often play it on funerals - sure, it sounds kinda appropriate, but not so much the lyrics.

However, I agree with several other people that says that sometimes the writing feel a bit too over the place. For example, it got great episodes like ep 7 but directly after that a mediocre ep 8. Same thing in this episode, the Noel-Aisha scene is very touching for me and the Tank is cool, but the resolution feels kinda off. So because Rio married, it automatically means peace, war stops, that's it? Maybe it's because we didn't see her actions, but I kinda lose the sense of urgency, and I was expecting a more ingenious peace solution like a certain other anime princess *coughEuphiecough*

It ended on a pretty closed note, so I think a prequel will be much better than a sequel, or at least maybe a spin-off ala To Aru in order to show things from the Roman Empire side. I don't remember if they ever said how old the Emperor is, but I'm gonna retcon it anyway so that he becomes the age of your typical harem lead. He already got two (official) haremetttes, maybe it can shows how he won Rio's heart as well while providing further explanations of the setting. Instead of being compared to moe series, it will be compared to average trashy harem, yet turns out to be better than expected, just like Sora no Woto.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 10:05   Link #1418
Revan21
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
So because Rio married, it automatically means peace, war stops, that's it? Maybe it's because we didn't see her actions, but I kinda lose the sense of urgency, and I was expecting a more ingenious peace solution like a certain other anime princess *coughEuphiecough*
.
That's what political marriages are for. Basically the war has already ended by then since they were in a standoff for months. They just needed the marriage to officially put an end to the fighting and seal the peace treaty - after that even the war mongers couldn't do a thing
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic86451_2.gif
Revan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 10:24   Link #1419
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
A sequel would be better. It's interesting you guys mentioned Amazing Grace and how it's played at funerals. It's a "sad" piece of music. The planet is dying. Chunks of it are dead in this universe. The music is fitting for the post apocalyptic setting.

A prequel in the distant past would be something like Evangelion, Gundam, or Macross if the heroes lost and earthborn humanity got blown back into the stone age. .

A sequel would carry the same tone Sora no Woto has. A sad, dying world with only a faint glimmer of hope. People make the most out of it.


The emperor had no intention of actually marrying her. Was she even married at the end? I think he let Rio go back due to her age. He's probably an old man and wanted the Helvetian royal family to make act of sacrifice in the name of peace. Once the commitment was made, that was probably good enough for him. They "passed" his test.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 10:49   Link #1420
Hypernova
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
A sequel would be better. It's interesting you guys mentioned Amazing Grace and how it's played at funerals. It's a "sad" piece of music. The planet is dying. Chunks of it are dead in this universe. The music is fitting for the post apocalyptic setting.

A prequel in the distant past would be something like Evangelion, Gundam, or Macross if the heroes lost and earthborn humanity got blown back into the stone age. .

A sequel would carry the same tone Sora no Woto has. A sad, dying world with only a faint glimmer of hope. People make the most out of it.


The emperor had no intention of actually marrying her. Was she even married at the end? I think he let Rio go back due to her age. He's probably an old man and wanted the Helvetian royal family to make act of sacrifice in the name of peace. Once the commitment was made, that was probably good enough for him. They "passed" his test.
She is still engaged, she's back to 1121 as a reward for the peace deal but at some point the deed still has to be done.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, drama, military, music, seinen, slice of life

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.