AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2010-11-16, 07:40   Link #361
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Okay, two questions:

One, I've been thinking that I want to get Graces F on the PS3 when it comes out on December 2nd, but this whole business lately about the possibility of Region Locks has me confused. Some people say it will be implemented and some say it won't, while some say the option to make games Region Locked will be made available to game producers while others say the option has already been available for a while. So which is it?

Two, I checked my usual import site Play Asia, and they have a Japan Region and an Asian Region version of the game, with the Asian version being a whole 30 bucks cheaper. What's the difference between the two?
Old 2010-11-16, 07:47   Link #362
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Two, I checked my usual import site Play Asia, and they have a Japan Region and an Asian Region version of the game, with the Asian version being a whole 30 bucks cheaper. What's the difference between the two?
Mostly nothing. As in case of my Basara 3 purchase, Asian version is 20$ cheaper, and the only difference is my manual is in Chinese instead of Japanese. Japanese version is more expensive due to the fact that they are imported, I think.
Old 2010-11-16, 12:38   Link #363
Sides

Quote:
Exchange rate most likely, just to be quite similar. Last time i ordered an asian version it was the same as the japanese release, including japanese manual. Difference were, instead of japan printed on the sleeve, it says asia(n) and came with a (traditional) chinese quick start flyer. Don't know if they know come with a complete chinese or korean manual nowadays.
Remember to ask them for the preorder goodies, if you're getting the japanese version preordered, sometimes they don't give it to you if you don't ask for it.

Tales studio in debt? Yep, blame it on raising cost of development. Since they are actually part of namco bandai, i don't think merchandising and other stuff goes to their account, don't quote me on that, but it is highly likey it isn't.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-16, 15:06   Link #364
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
You mean you don't know they are still big title? O_o
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
Ridger Racer and Ace Combat is around, quite frequent actually. I think Ace is HAWX's direct competitor. Tatsujin is still quite popular in the arcades (you can even catch a glimpse of it in recent moe-blob anime OreImo).

Now Pacman on the other hand...I don't think they have any new games for that guy. I know they're still selling his toys and stuff, and he in Mario Kart Arcade. That's about it.

I really wish I can just walk into Bandai's headquarters and slap the shit out of the heads. They have so many big names under their sleeves in both the anime and gaming industry but they never do much with it.

But, anyway, isn't the Tales studio in debt or something? Maybe that's why they're abandoning the english speaking market? Probably the people on top want them to prove themselves domestically before they're allowed back on the international market?
Ridge Racer... I haven't heard that name since last gen (PS2 era) and Ace Combat as well... And Arcades are deader than Britney Spear's career here in America.

If they're so big how come I never heard of them? I even asked some friends and coworkers and they had the same reaction as I did.
Old 2010-11-16, 16:19   Link #365
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Ridge Racer... I haven't heard that name since last gen (PS2 era) and Ace Combat as well... And Arcades are deader than Britney Spear's career here in America.

If they're so big how come I never heard of them? I even asked some friends and coworkers and they had the same reaction as I did.
Ridge racer 7(2006/07) is one of the few retail games that runs at 60fps on 1080p res for the PS3, unless you are a late adopter you probably have it somewhere flying around at home. Ridge racer 6 was on the 360 (2005/06). RR7 just received a 3D patch/update recently and believe it or not it was one of the best selling PS3 titles when it was released (okay it was a launch title...)
Old 2010-11-16, 16:41   Link #366
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post

Not over in the East. Which is the side of the world that Namco cares more about. I'd actually say Namco is pretty big in the arcade business, with Tekken, Gundam Vs franchise, Senjou no Kizuna, Tatsujin, Mario Kart Racing..etc. They're a big deal in the arcade business. It's not popular in the states probably because of various reasons? Marketing, disinterest, commute (people drive around more, while japanese ppl bike/walk/train and can just pop into an arcade on the way home) etc etc etc.

I don't know why you've never heard of Ace Combat this gen, probably because you're not interested in it in general and you just missed it (and it's a big name in Japan but probably not in the states). It came out with a 2007 360 exclusive, a 2009 iPhone game, 2010 PSP came and have a 2011 planned new release on the PS360 called Assault Horizon.

Ridge Racer on the other hand continued onto smaller platforms, such as the iPhone and the future release 3DS. Can't compete with GT5.

Sometimes a title can be huge, but only domestically and not internationally (and even so maybe only in Asia). You might think that's not enough, but to them it might be more than enough profit. The same goes for games in America, they might be underdogs/ignored and not as well known over in Asia but are still big names and profitable. I guess if you're an avid racer/flight sim fan you wouldn't be surprised at all.
Old 2010-12-04, 12:47   Link #367
Sides

Tales of Graces F English Demo Patch released, just google it. You need to have fw3.41, for the time being, until 3.50 is broken, which if lucky shouldn't take long.
You will need a usb devices as well, like ipod, iphone, dingo, sansa/rockbox, to run psgroove and R3volution.
Old 2010-12-04, 15:36   Link #368
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*∀`)ノ

For the patch---you need Jailbreak to use it, or not ?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-04, 15:54   Link #369
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
For the patch---you need Jailbreak to use it, or not ?
Of course, not sure if i will work on a debug unit, which can run unsigned codes. However it won't work with the "official" psjailbreak dongle. You can read what is required on talesofgraces.com. As for the retail game, you have to wait until someone figures out the masterkey for it, since it complied with the lastest sdk. Although jailbreak, on the ps3, is temporary, the ps3 logs process which could render your unit banned from psn, solution is to get two ps3.
Old 2010-12-04, 21:15   Link #370
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Wait, what? What's this about breaking 3.50? You guys just mean "need to break 3.50 to use the english patch," right? Not that Tales of Graces F isn't playable on a US PS3 at all? Because I personally don't need an english patch, I can understand Japanese.
Old 2010-12-05, 01:08   Link #371
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Exchange rate most likely, just to be quite similar. Last time i ordered an asian version it was the same as the japanese release, including japanese manual. Difference were, instead of japan printed on the sleeve, it says asia(n) and came with a (traditional) chinese quick start flyer. Don't know if they know come with a complete chinese or korean manual nowadays.
Remember to ask them for the preorder goodies, if you're getting the japanese version preordered, sometimes they don't give it to you if you don't ask for it.

Tales studio in debt? Yep, blame it on raising cost of development. Since they are actually part of namco bandai, i don't think merchandising and other stuff goes to their account, don't quote me on that, but it is highly likey it isn't.
They are just abandoning ship since American game reviewers hate JRPGs, look at how bioware and IGN slammed JRPGs constantly, and with Square Enix hitting new lows. Japan's dominance in the video game market may soon be forced back.
Old 2010-12-05, 01:52   Link #372
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Recently played the Japanese demo on the PS3 and wow I'm rusty. I was barely able to remember the overall controls during battle or perhaps it just means that the controls really are different from Tales of Vesperia and Tales of the Abyss.

Anyway It made me happy to hear the game was being re-released on the PS3 seeing as how I'm not really interested in play Rpgs on the wii. However the problem is I have a strict rule about Buying Japanese RPGS that are not translated so I'm wondering if perhaps there has been any news on whether or not the U.S. will be getting the game.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 04:32   Link #373
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Has anybody seen this yet?

Apparently, on the Tales of Graces F home page, under System then Downloads, there are additional costumes for the characters

FROM CODE GEASS.

No I'm not kidding. Asbel gets Suzaku's Knight of 7 costume (no surprise there), while Sophie dresses like C.C. (), Sheria as Karen, and Richard as Zero.

Unfortunately, these are probably only available through Playstation Store, which we can't access here.
Old 2010-12-05, 06:02   Link #374
Sides

To clear things up, PS3 are region free, TOG:F is region free. You don't need anything to play it, besides a ps3 with the latest fw on it.

Quote:
Unfortunately, these are probably only available through Playstation Store, which we can't access here.
Google guide for asian or japanese account, and buy psn credits online, problem solved.
Old 2010-12-05, 07:35   Link #375
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
To clear things up, PS3 are region free, TOG:F is region free. You don't need anything to play it, besides a ps3 with the latest fw on it.
Well I know PS3s are region free, but with all the horror stories about potential region blocking in the PS3s future, I wanted to be sure before I laid down $90+ on the game. And last time I asked, nobody answered.

Quote:
Google guide for asian or japanese account, and buy psn credits online, problem solved.
But you can't access the JP PSN store on a US PS3 in the states, so that doesn't do any good if you can't download the data to your HDD.
Old 2010-12-05, 08:27   Link #376
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
But you can't access the JP PSN store on a US PS3 in the states, so that doesn't do any good if you can't download the data to your HDD.
Is that you just reading up on that, or actually trying it? I say this because i was told access to the Japanese PSN store can't be done, though all i did was create a new PS3 account, change my location as Japan and i was on.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2010-12-05 at 08:40.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 09:04   Link #377
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Is that you just reading up on that, or actually trying it? I say this because i was told access to the Japanese PSN store can't be done, though all i did was create a new PS3 account, change my location as Japan and i was on.
This, pretty much answers it.
You can create account from any region you like, you just need to find an real address, for some regions. Most people here probably have at least 2 different region accounts. Unless your japanese skills are good, those guides are useful to get through the registration form, nothing more.
Old 2010-12-05, 09:59   Link #378
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Huh, I didn't know that. Guess I'll go give that a try. But you can't receive game version updates this way, right?

Where are those guides you're talking about, though? There's one part of the registration for JP region that I'm stuck on because I'm bad with kanji.
Old 2010-12-05, 10:24   Link #379
Sides

Quote:
Huh, I didn't know that. Guess I'll go give that a try. But you can't receive game version updates this way, right?

Where are those guides you're talking about, though? There's one part of the registration for JP region that I'm stuck on because I'm bad with kanji.
Try this one. Not sure if they change anything , because when i signed up the screen looked different, all in grey and white.

As for updates, you still receive them.
The difference between a import ps3 console was, where they were build (JPN/ROC not sure if they are build in PRC as well) and the blu-ray, dvd and ps2 region coding nothing else.
Just remember if you switch accounts the save files are not shared.
Old 2010-12-05, 10:32   Link #380
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I believe this will do the job.

Edit: Sides beat me , though both links can be used i guess.

Tags
game, games, rpg