AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-12, 22:13   Link #1
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
The Many Text Flashes of Bakemonogatari

This is a thread dedicated to the posting and further understanding of the various flashes of text that we see during each episode of Bakemonogatari. As usual, mind the spoiler discussion!
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 00:37   Link #2
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 23
Great, now we just need people to be unlazy and post some screengrabs.

Uhhh... episode 5 is the only one I happen to have a translated MKV of... I believe I tried before and MPC doesn't screencapture subs when I play an .ass with a raw. Oh well.

Spoiler for Episode 5 opening text:


I suppose I should mention that props go to gg subs.
__________________
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 02:24   Link #3
calorie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tannhäuser Gate
Age: 26
That helps a lot Raiga, it really bugged me to see so much text in that episode and have to let it pass by. Though this makes me wonder about the purpose of these text flashes. Seeing as how actually reading something like this at the very beginning of the episode would hint at the plot twist in the end and likely damage the impact of the surprise, this probably means that this is meant to be read by enthusiasts like us here afterwards.

But then again, there isn't anything that substantial (at least not in these passages) that hasn't been explained by the episode itself. Except perhaps that snail thing -
Spoiler for episode 5 spoiler:
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 03:34   Link #4
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Sigh.

Spoiler for How do people miss this Ep5 spoiler:
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 03:35   Link #5
asrielchase
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 26
Those conversations took place before Araragi knew the truth.

Spoiler for ep5:
__________________
エル・プサイ・コングルゥ
asrielchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 04:20   Link #6
calorie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tannhäuser Gate
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Sigh.

Spoiler for How do people miss this Ep5 spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrielchase View Post
Those conversations took place before Araragi knew the truth.

Spoiler for ep5:
Dang it, that went right over my head. Thanks you guys.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 07:10   Link #7
zato_1one
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I think we may need novel reader or Jap reader to check the translation a bit. It may have a case like this which the translation is completely different. And I think it's quite important too.

gg


AniKat


Koharubi


In this case, AniKat seems to most accurate.
__________________
zato_1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 09:13   Link #8
KyntE
Ebilness~
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aomori Prefecture
Age: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to KyntE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
I think we may need novel reader or Jap reader to check the translation a bit. It may have a case like this which the translation is completely different. And I think it's quite important too.

gg


AniKat


Koharubi


In this case, AniKat seems to most accurate.
can u put the episode which this belong?
__________________

currenty watching: bakemonogatari & princess lover
KyntE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 09:21   Link #9
zato_1one
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
They're from episode 4.
__________________
zato_1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 09:36   Link #10
asrielchase
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 26
Among the 3 Anikat is the only one that got it right. Anyone that says Koyomi needs to drink blood made a mistake.
__________________
エル・プサイ・コングルゥ
asrielchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 21:30   Link #11
Johnny
Working the bags...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I was bored and thought I'd do episode 6 ones.

Spoiler:
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 10:01   Link #12
rocket
Senior and Demented
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Thanks guys for posting these, there really is a lot of good info in them!

Now that I can read them and appreciate the content I wish one of the subbers would offer a version with only the english text typeset at the appropriate size. I think even tho' they're fast you must be able to pick up some of the content.
__________________
rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 17:59   Link #13
Johnny
Working the bags...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Here's episode two's text flashes. [gg]'s didn't have the text and [qIIq] didn't have the characters, so I combined both...

Episode Two
Spoiler:


Here's episode Three's text...

Episode Three
Spoiler:


Here's episode Four's text...

Episode Four
Spoiler:

Last edited by Johnny; 2009-08-15 at 02:08. Reason: added episode four...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 16:54   Link #14
K3cT
Arcadia of My Youth
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Singapore
Send a message via MSN to K3cT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
I think we may need novel reader or Jap reader to check the translation a bit. It may have a case like this which the translation is completely different. And I think it's quite important too.

gg


AniKat


Koharubi


In this case, AniKat seems to most accurate.
The dilemma continues. It is clear that gg has the most flowing/natural wording amongst the 3 groups.
K3cT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 00:51   Link #15
zato_1one
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
The dilemma continues. It is clear that gg has the most flowing/natural wording amongst the 3 groups.
I agree. That's very impressive because they're speed sub and they also do (too) many series all at once.
__________________
zato_1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 20:27   Link #16
Tragic
Stuck in Shitstorm
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Apparently a.f.k....
Send a message via MSN to Tragic
Can't that work either way though? Two state he drinks blood and they give him little superhuman boosts, where as the other states the vampire sucks up his blood once a month, giving him abilities.

If you ask me, I'd say it sounds right that if he drinks a little, he gains the powers. He still retains some of the vampiric abilities, but I thought the vampire was gone...?
Tragic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 21:18   Link #17
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Spoiler for Vampire:
__________________

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 22:06   Link #18
Mandoric
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrielchase View Post
Among the 3 Anikat is the only one that got it right. Anyone that says Koyomi needs to drink blood made a mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
Can't that work either way though? Two state he drinks blood and they give him little superhuman boosts, where as the other states the vampire sucks up his blood once a month, giving him abilities.

If you ask me, I'd say it sounds right that if he drinks a little, he gains the powers. He still retains some of the vampiric abilities, but I thought the vampire was gone...?
The Japanese wording is vague; "blood" (whose? it's unmentioned) is the subject rather than the object of someone's action, and "be hypothetically drunk" the verb. Apparently, though, later in the novels it's revealed that Araragi
Spoiler:
so my presumption is that I was wrong.
Can anyone who's had time to finish the novels rather than just follow in synch with the TV comment here, so I don't have to track down exactly where I heard this?

Last edited by Mandoric; 2009-08-16 at 22:17.
Mandoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 22:27   Link #19
Mandoric
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsla View Post
That helps a lot Raiga, it really bugged me to see so much text in that episode and have to let it pass by. Though this makes me wonder about the purpose of these text flashes. Seeing as how actually reading something like this at the very beginning of the episode would hint at the plot twist in the end and likely damage the impact of the surprise, this probably means that this is meant to be read by enthusiasts like us here afterwards. [/SPOILER]
[QUOTE=To Fuyashi]How to watch Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei:
1st pass, watch
2nd pass, pause and understand the contents
If you can't understand, connect the nearby conversation, actors, and recent news.
3rd pass, rewatch understanding the contents.
Buy three DVDs, one to watch, one to save, and one to take with you.[/spoiler]

Apparently this applies to Bake too, with the added bonus of a traditional Japanese drumbeat.
Mandoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 22:51   Link #20
sirn
レス乞食
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
In the novel, it is explicitly explained before he used his sighting power (ep 3) in Mayoi Snail.
The following snippet is from the beginning of Mayoi Snail Part 003:

Spoiler for novel bits related to ep4 flashing texts:
I guess it's okay to post this, since it's directly related to ep 4's flashing texts…
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.