AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Spice and Wolf

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 63 57.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 30.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 9.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.73%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.91%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-08-14, 11:58   Link #61
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
it turned out as i have thought, its good Lawrence finally realised in the end

but the OP indicated this is not the end of Amati, he will be back, stronger
And apparently with a neat hat / scarf to add to the mystery! Don't know if that is him or not, no vol 5 translation

I imagine Deanna's messenger was about to go talk to Lawrence when she was stopped at the door "HEY, put on your robe and scarf, you don't look mysterious enough!" but it's hot outside! "DO IT!, and make sure it covers one eye too. Mysterious people don't show both eyes."
AKnightWhoSaysNi! is offline  
Old 2009-08-14, 12:44   Link #62
puppygod
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Warsaw, PL
Age: 36
Ah, finally I've seen this episode. Inducing market collapse never was that romantic before. Sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
It's amusing to see the kind of schemes she thought up to try to make up with Lawrence. She could have gone and found him but NOOOO! The great and wise Horo had to get creative; first by trying to make him mad with a marriage certificate, then by trying to have the storyteller tell Lawrence a bogus story about Yoitsu's survival, all this so he'd be forced to come to the inn to tell her...

I think Horo is sometimes too smart for her own good...
Well, she is smart and PROUD wolf of Yoitsu. You didn't really expect her to come to Lawrence and say "sorry, I think there is a misunderstanding"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therationalpi View Post
Still, I can't help but feel sorry for Amati. He didn't seem to be a bad guy, just a little over confident. Ultimately, his downfall was trusting Horo. Funny, since Lawrence's plight was brought on because he didn't trust her.
Amati trusting who? The girl he met two days ago and knew nothing about, but his misconceptions? It's not trust. It's naivety of higher order. Actually I think that the thing he said to her was something along the lines: "Don't worry silly rabbit, I've come here to free poor helpless you from the clutches of that bastard Lawrence. Just stay with me, cooking and bearing children, and never more worry your pretty head about complex world with markets, travels and whatnot." Pick-up line that might impress poor country girl, but certainly not something that you would ever said to the wise and proud wolf. Unless you feel kinda suicidal, anyway.
puppygod is offline  
Old 2009-08-14, 13:00   Link #63
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I just hope it doesn't sour him completely on the romance department. He's a good kid who fell for the wrong woman, but he could be a good husband. He's a good provider, devoted, brave and honest. It'd be too bad if he started to think all women were out to deceive him and steal from him.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-08-14, 13:26   Link #64
velvet nightmare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
did people really set fire to big wheat dolls like that?

it looked so dangerous when they were toppling over each other, as the fire was so close to buildings

that's probably how city fires started back then
__________________
velvet nightmare is offline  
Old 2009-08-14, 14:09   Link #65
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I just hope it doesn't sour him completely on the romance department. He's a good kid who fell for the wrong woman, but he could be a good husband. He's a good provider, devoted, brave and honest. It'd be too bad if he started to think all women were out to deceive him and steal from him.
I think he might be doomed in that area. We got from Mark that he wasn't really interested in the town girl's as it was. Now he's been soured on the mysterious women from out of town. But maybe this will just make him more cautious and less likely to take rash action. We'll probably never know anyways.

Just thinking, but wasn't it a little reckless for Horo to be standing with Lawrence by the window with no hat on? Since it has such a good view of the festivites all that someone would have to do was look up.
__________________
FlareKnight is online now  
Old 2009-08-14, 14:15   Link #66
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

Just thinking, but wasn't it a little reckless for Horo to be standing with Lawrence by the window with no hat on? Since it has such a good view of the festivites all that someone would have to do was look up.
Weird but I had the same thought. She was on a clear display there. Maybe people were occupied with festival but it is still quite a risk.
Darknemo2000 is offline  
Old 2009-08-14, 15:57   Link #67
Ninjacat
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Weird but I had the same thought. She was on a clear display there. Maybe people were occupied with festival but it is still quite a risk.
Big bonfire, darkened room, higher than street level. It was practically impossible for people to see them clearly. Not to mention distance alone would make her ears a bit hard to notice unless you knew what you were looking for.
Ninjacat is offline  
Old 2009-08-14, 17:48   Link #68
golthin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I just hope it doesn't sour him completely on the romance department. He's a good kid who fell for the wrong woman, but he could be a good husband. He's a good provider, devoted, brave and honest. It'd be too bad if he started to think all women were out to deceive him and steal from him.
Nah, the lesson he learned was not to try to steal other man's woman not matter what her "Circumstances". The guildmaster told him so.
golthin is offline  
Old 2009-08-14, 18:05   Link #69
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
In this case, anyone with half a brain could have figured out Horo was with Lawrence out of her own free will - once on the road, he'd have had no practical way to coerce someone to stay.

But what if he came across a woman who really needed help?


Seriously. It's easy to point at Amati and tell him: "you got punished for trying to be a homebreaker". But it's a bit harder to say "you got punished for being naive", which is every bit as accurate. Even if it's "fair" that naivety would bring bad consequences, it's hard to think of the guys exploiting said naivety as the "good guys". And another point of view, even harder to stomach, would be to tell Amati "you got punished for being generous and romantic".
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-08-14, 19:11   Link #70
Ninjacat
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Seriously. It's easy to point at Amati and tell him: "you got punished for trying to be a homebreaker". But it's a bit harder to say "you got punished for being naive", which is every bit as accurate. Even if it's "fair" that naivety would bring bad consequences, it's hard to think of the guys exploiting said naivety as the "good guys". And another point of view, even harder to stomach, would be to tell Amati "you got punished for being generous and romantic".
It's harsh, but it's actually a pretty good lesson for a trader. Naiveté and romanticism will sink you quick in business.

Especially in a world where you have to navigate between merchant guilds, the church, the noble houses and REALLY BIG ANIMAL-THEMED GODS OF NATURE.
Ninjacat is offline  
Old 2009-08-15, 00:25   Link #71
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppygod View Post
. Actually I think that the thing he said to her was something along the lines: "Don't worry silly rabbit, I've come here to free poor helpless you from the clutches of that bastard Lawrence. Just stay with me, cooking and bearing children, and never more worry your pretty head about complex world with markets, travels and whatnot." Pick-up line that might impress poor country girl, but certainly not something that you would ever said to the wise and proud wolf. Unless you feel kinda suicidal, anyway.
lol, my thoughts exactly.
Intranetusa is offline  
Old 2009-08-15, 00:29   Link #72
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
So that's it for this batch of side characters, eh? Too bad - I was rather enjoying Mark & Lanto's contributions to the mix.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2009-08-15, 00:35   Link #73
golthin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
So that's it for this batch of side characters, eh? Too bad - I was rather enjoying Mark & Lanto's contributions to the mix.
next volume has very interesting characters too.
golthin is offline  
Old 2009-08-15, 22:12   Link #74
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
next volume has very interesting characters too.
I was hoping Denana and Mark would return. Wolf vs Raven chick standoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
it turned out as i have thought, its good Lawrence finally realised in the end

but the OP indicated this is not the end of Amati, he will be back, stronger
Do not underestimate the power of the dark side! Amati will be resurrected stronger and darker than before...
Intranetusa is offline  
Old 2009-08-16, 04:38   Link #75
FTGT
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Lanto: I LOVE HORO!
*nod nod*
We know exactly how you feel, little guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suka-pon-tan View Post
Spoiler for ep. 6:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EadTaes View Post
Spoiler for spoiler don't read if you have not yet watched.:
I totally agree. Since the middle of the first season I am waiting for THAT to happen. But at least Horo thinks Lawrence is good enough to eat and likes to chew on him more often.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
...
Again as Horo says, it all falls to trust. This is again indicative of Lawrence's perceptions of human relations. Sure he trusts his business partners but only to a degree; he's always cautious and on his guard that someone might pull one over on him at some point. Therefore, he can't trust anyone explicitly, even Horo. This was pretty much got him into this whole problem to begin with. If he trusted Horo, and his friends, then he'd have gotten a big fat deal out of Amati's naivete. The irony of it all is that Lawrence himself is the naive one.
...
Very true words indeed! ^^

As some people already pointed out, the side characters are absolutely amazing. A lot of other anime do not have such strong characters even as main protagonists.


Although I read the novel I have two questions regarding this episode that I would like to discuss.

1)So Horo only subscribed the marriage certificate in order to bring Lawrence to come up to the apartment and take Horo to task? That could also be one of the reasons why Horo is so mad at the end. If they would have talked at that moment, Horo would have riped up the certificate and they could have even shaked Amati down for his 1000 silver coins.

2)At the end of this episode when the burning human shaped wooden doll falls onto the wolf shaped wooden doll, Horo says "I wouldnt mind if you were as fiery as that doll". At that moment she really adumbrates what I think she adumbrates, right? If so, there arises another question:
IS LAWRENCE REALLY A MALE HUMAN BEING?
Maybe he is also a pagan deity. A "sloth" god, or something similar.
FTGT is offline  
Old 2009-08-16, 05:29   Link #76
Kaguya
an idler
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Suzuka
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGT View Post
IS LAWRENCE REALLY A MALE HUMAN BEING?
Maybe he is also a pagan deity. A "sloth" god, or something similar.
Of course Lawrence is a cute sheep.
Kaguya is offline  
Old 2009-08-16, 08:52   Link #77
Mr. Anime
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGT View Post
2)At the end of this episode when the burning human shaped wooden doll falls onto the wolf shaped wooden doll, Horo says "I wouldnt mind if you were as fiery as that doll". At that moment she really adumbrates what I think she adumbrates, right? If so, there arises another question:
IS LAWRENCE REALLY A MALE HUMAN BEING?
Maybe he is also a pagan deity. A "sloth" god, or something similar.
its part of their mutual teasing. thats why lawrence answered like he did, but i think we can look forward to the next episodes, something more than a hug has to happen^^
Mr. Anime is offline  
Old 2009-08-16, 10:49   Link #78
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnightWhoSaysNi! View Post
And apparently with a neat hat / scarf to add to the mystery! Don't know if that is him or not, no vol 5 translation
That's not Amari, look at the first scene in the ED. Amarti is on the top right that character is in the bottom left. I know who it is and who voices that character as do others here but I won't spoil it.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2009-08-16, 18:44   Link #79
sarahwest
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I just hope it doesn't sour him completely on the romance department. He's a good kid who fell for the wrong woman, but he could be a good husband. He's a good provider, devoted, brave and honest. It'd be too bad if he started to think all women were out to deceive him and steal from him.
I think we dont need to worry much about Amarti, if you take a look at the first picture of ED: Amarti on the top right corner proposing to a sister!!
he is still young

ps: it appears to me that Horo is somehow over with her apple addiction this season. she is now totally possessed by wine?
sarahwest is offline  
Old 2009-08-16, 19:25   Link #80
Yuutsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 雲の向こう
I wonder if the thought of being a furry ever crossed Lawrence's mind? Granted, Horo's only 1% wolf and 99% beautiful most of the time, so that may or may not have hindered his realization of this fact. : ) But hey! I wouldn't mind being a furry, if it were for Horo.
Yuutsu is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.