AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 39 21.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 16.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 46 25.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 35 19.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 9.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 3.37%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-13, 19:47   Link #81
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
*snip*
That's just depressing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Still, like you said, it could be worse.
Considering the buzz the first season had, this is hardly the kind of reaction that should be elicited.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 19:47   Link #82
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I don't know... some of this anatomy is genuinely pretty questionable. That's one of the things I liked a lot about Haruhi Season 1 - very solid anatomy. Take away the big eyes, and squiggly lines for nose and mouth (which are staples of anime, anyway - so we're all quite used to them), and you have normal body proportions.

Still, like you said, it could be worse.
Again, style, not art. They lost a chunk of the original Haruhi animators, as well.

The reason E82 looked so great is because most of it was animated already, I'm pretty sure...

Again, I hate how it looks now too, but it's all we've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I just don't think they have the money anymore. We're in a recession, they're a small studio, and they did three other shows right before working on this one.

Maybe they're waiting until they make enough money off of K-On and this... Disappearance would require a ridiculous budget, so...
Old 2009-08-13, 19:53   Link #83
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Oh we're getting Sighs? Sigh. Not that I thought it was bad, but this was my least favorite volume for two reasons, 1) the movie already sums up what happens, and 2) this was where I least liked the progression of the Kyon/Haruhi relationship. But, more Haruhi is better than none. I'm actually looking forward to it. It's just that I had just assumed that we would be heading towards Disappearance soon, so I was a little surprised.
khryoleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 19:54   Link #84
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I just don't think they have the money anymore. We're in a recession, they're a small studio, and they did three other shows right before working on this one.
Didn't those shows make them money though, like, through merchandising sales? I mean the economy wasn't as bad back then...

Quote:
Maybe they're waiting until they make enough money off of K-On and this... Disappearance would require a ridiculous budget, so...
I'm sensing a catch 22 coming up here.

Because they don't have money they can't make the excellent animation... and because they can't make the excellent animation they can't make money.

Me thinks that the god tier trolling to wait 3 years before making Season 3 has bitten them in the ass?
Old 2009-08-13, 19:55   Link #85
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

Considering the buzz the first season had, this is hardly the kind of reaction that should be elicited.

You know what's sad? Endless Eight alone, or the art style changes alone, could be overcome... but both at the same time?

Whew... that's a hard combo. It's really testing a lot of the fan base I think.

I'm going to hope that the subs change my assessment, though. If nothing else, I like the hat-tip to Ranma 1/2. Somebody on the animation team clearly liked that anime when they were growing up.
Old 2009-08-13, 20:08   Link #86
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

I'll wait on subs to really analyze, but if nothing else, for most of the episode they're using S1's wild camera techniques.

At least they still know how to do that.

Still not that great of an episode, but Sighs is crap anyway. If they keep in -that scene-, and all of the crazy BEEEAAM stuff, it should get better.

Sighs V should be like an auto-ten from me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
Oh we're getting Sighs? Sigh. Not that I thought it was bad, but this was my least favorite volume for two reasons, 1) the movie already sums up what happens, and 2) this was where I least liked the progression of the Kyon/Haruhi relationship. But, more Haruhi is better than none. I'm actually looking forward to it. It's just that I had just assumed that we would be heading towards Disappearance soon, so I was a little surprised.
Sighs was more about a) the relationship between the three abnormals and Kyon and b) What a huge bitch Haruhi really is.

I'm really, really afraid they're going to cut the latter part, though. If they do, it'll make Live Alive look less awesome than it could be.

I mean, Live Alive already was awesome, but when put into context...

Quote:
Didn't those shows make them money though, like, through merchandising sales? I mean the economy wasn't as bad back then...
Munto made like no money and Clannad isn't as ridiculously popular as, say, K-On currently is. (Best selling anime ever, remember?)

And remember this show was being animated... sometime late last year, or something? That might explain it...
Old 2009-08-13, 20:10   Link #87
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Well that would put a damper in the whole "Kyoani and Kadokawa have money to blow off and experiment with" theory.
Old 2009-08-13, 20:12   Link #88
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

The movie doesn't really sum up Sigh as a whole, it just sums up what the Brigade did in Sigh. The rest of it focuses on Haruhi's powers (and probably some other stuff but it's been a long time since I read it). I'm hoping that it'll be a little more fun to watch it than read about it (Sigh wasn't bad, but I'm one of the ones who didn't like it that much compared to others).

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Heminga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 20:14   Link #89
Jenni
B-baka!

Send a message via Skype™ to Jenni
Quote:
It's not "bad art". It's "art we don't want to see".

Umineko has bad art. The art here is still great, just a completely different style.

I hate it too, but it's not "bad art".
Spoiler for Image:

See her fingers and hands in that pic? See how misshapen they are? That's no stylistic choice... that's bad art. Keep in mind, this art failure merely compounds the poor choice of style. Haruhi has become an art fail show like K-On!

Come check out Project Haruhi!
Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 20:17   Link #90
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Quote:
Well that would put a damper in the whole "Kyoani and Kadokawa have money to blow off and experiment with" theory.
No offense to K-On fans... but I find it pretty funny that K-On is what is keeping Kadokawa and KyoAni afloat financially.

You know... could that be the reason for the art change? Moe blobs sold excellently in K-On, so it should also sell well in Haruhi? I wonder if that's the thinking here.

If so, it'll be interesting to see if it pans out (EE effect notwithstanding).

Jenni - Exactly. That's Liefeld-esque bad anatomy (comic book fans will get the reference - for non-comic book fans, just focus on how long each of Haruhi's fingers are given how they appear here...).
Old 2009-08-13, 20:19   Link #91
CrowKenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
The movie doesn't really sum up Sigh as a whole, it just sums up what the Brigade did in Sigh. The rest of it focuses on Haruhi's powers (and probably some other stuff but it's been a long time since I read it).
"Why cats talk and the witches who use ventriloquism!"

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 20:24   Link #92
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
They're just scared of wasting money on something that might not sell. Disappearance is really heavy, and most of everything up 'till now has been relatively light...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
See her fingers and hands in that pic? See how misshapen they are? That's no stylistic choice... that's bad art. Keep in mind, this art failure merely compounds the poor choice of style. Haruhi has become an art fail show like K-On!
K-On was art fail?

K-On had great animation and design for what it was. A crappy moeblob show.

And yes, that particular part sucked. I can point out to you a couple of scenes from S1 with just as questionable art.

The episode as a whole wasn't as bad as that. It's still no BLR.

Honestly, it just seems to me as though you're looking for things to complain about.

Quote:
You know... could that be the reason for the art change? Moe blobs sold excellently in K-On, so it should also sell well in Haruhi? I wonder if that's the thinking here.
Again, this was made a while back, as was K-On. They didn't realize K-On would sell so ridiculously well. It's just the style the newer animators are better at working with, and they don't have the money for the ridiculously detailed designs anymore.

If they really wanted to turn this into a moeblob show, there wouldn't be as much focus on Kyon and Koizumi as there is.
Old 2009-08-13, 20:31   Link #93
Jenni
B-baka!

Quote:
And yes, that particular part sucked. I can point out to you a couple of scenes from S1 with just as questionable art.

The episode as a whole wasn't as bad as that. It's still no BLR.

Honestly, it just seems to me as though you're looking for things to complain about.
Yes, S1 had art fail as well... but is was never as bad or as obvious (especially to the untrained eye) as it has been in the new episodes.

I may be complaining... but that's merely because I think Haruhi should be held to a higher standard than this. If we settle for anything less, and assume an "Oh well, it's not THAT bad." kind of attitude, then KyoAni will continue to pump out crappier and crappier shows.

Or, if you would prefer that I oversimplify my point into a tired metaphor, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Old 2009-08-13, 20:37   Link #94
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
I still found the "you don't look like a dojikko maid at all" scene funny

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 20:37   Link #95
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

How many actually watched the episode before complaining about this so called bad art?

Just like how many actually watched the E8 eps before complaining that they had bad animation?..

Old 2009-08-13, 20:39   Link #96
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Quote:

Again, this was made a while back, as was K-On. They didn't realize K-On would sell so ridiculously well. It's just the style the newer animators are better at working with, and they don't have the money for the ridiculously detailed designs anymore.
Now I want to cry...

Quote:

If they really wanted to turn this into a moeblob show, there wouldn't be as much focus on Kyon and Koizumi as there is.
You forget something here, though - KyoAni is also slaves to source material. They're beyond faithful adapters - they're absolute slaves to the source material. For the most part, this is a good thing.

Kyon and Koizumi are two of the five main characters in the source material (Kyon being the narrator on top of that). So, KyoAni's faithfulness to the source material is perhaps the one thing that trumps their love of moe blobs.
Old 2009-08-13, 20:41   Link #97
Jenni
B-baka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post

How many actually watched the episode before complaining about this so called bad art?

Just like how many actually watched the E8 eps before complaining that they had bad animation?..

*raises hand*

I did...

Old 2009-08-13, 20:44   Link #98
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
*raises hand*

I did...
Then what would you consider as good art then? Give examples form current series.
Old 2009-08-13, 20:45   Link #99
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
then KyoAni will continue to pump out crappier and crappier shows.
...So because we "let them get away with being lazy" which, as I'm saying, they're not, they'll "continue to create crap"?

...?

........?

The show is still very good. The art is just not what anyone here would like to see. Why should the art impact your enjoyment of the story and characters, which are the meat of the show, any?

Also, did anyone catch the girls from Kouyouen Academy on the train? ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

THAT is what makes KyoAni KyoAni. Not the art.
Old 2009-08-13, 20:45   Link #100
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

at least its not E8
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote