AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-10, 22:14   Link #1661
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyi View Post
Sorry, I haven't read Episode 5 but I've been spoiled a lot by a friend xD; I heard that a certain Knox rule says something about weird traps/devices being forbidden? Does that completely erase the possibility of any traps at all? Such as those positioned stake-shooting weapons or small bombs that were mentioned?
Yep. You could say it blew up in its face!
Old 2009-11-10, 22:17   Link #1662
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Sorry, I haven't read Episode 5 but I've been spoiled a lot by a friend xD; I heard that a certain Knox rule says something about weird traps/devices being forbidden? Does that completely erase the possibility of any traps at all? Such as those positioned stake-shooting weapons or small bombs that were mentioned?
Weird or unrealistic traps are forbidden, however simple and realistic traps are still valid.

Old 2009-11-10, 22:56   Link #1663
chronotrig

To be more specific, devices which require a long, detailed explanation of the science involved are forbidden. Things can be as complicated as you want (going by the letter of the Knox Law here), but they should rely only on principles that that average educated person knows. As Knox says, it's no good when "you have to go through a long science lecture at the end of the story in order to understand how clever the mystery was".

Stake shooting weapons can work if there exists a practical way to construct them. Small bombs could also work, but only if it's possible to construct one with that effect.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page

Last edited by chronotrig; 2009-11-10 at 23:10.
Old 2009-11-11, 05:25   Link #1664
Tsuyi

Thanks for the answers, everyone xD This makes me wonder how small the bombs have to be in order to bypass this rule. I think it's okay for maybe palm-sized bombs, or a little smaller maybe? I'm kind of skeptical of the existence of a bomb small enough to be eaten without detection though (like Battler's explanation for Episode 2's first twilight.)
Old 2009-11-11, 10:41   Link #1665
Isekaijin

Eh, just a few questions.

Didn't Battler say in EP 4 in red that "you can't trust anything that isn't in red"? It is okay to automatically assume that the gold text is the truth?

And a stupid question. Why do you people call Gohda "Magical Gohda Chef"? Is he a witch? Because I'd crack if he were.
Old 2009-11-11, 10:49   Link #1666
Volcanic
fire of fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isekaijin View Post
Didn't Battler say in EP 4 in red that "you can't trust anything that isn't in red"? It is okay to automatically assume that the gold text is the truth?

And a stupid question. Why do you people call Gohda "Magical Gohda Chef"? Is he a witch? Because I'd crack if he were.
The first one: It's said Gold Text is even more true than Red Text, so of course you can trust it.

The second: There's a line in Happy Maria! that mentions "Magical Gohda Chef." Meme ensues
Old 2009-11-11, 10:52   Link #1667
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isekaijin View Post
Eh, just a few questions.

Keep in mind he only knew about the red and blue truths when he said that. The gold truth is an absolute, "Yes this did happen now stop making theories trying to get around it" truth.
Old 2009-11-11, 12:35   Link #1668
OBrasilo
Uyimbube!

Send a message via ICQ to OBrasilo Send a message via AIM to OBrasilo Send a message via MSN to OBrasilo Send a message via Yahoo to OBrasilo
I don't know, if this is the right place to post this in, but, according to Wikipedia, the title for Episode 6 has been announced already: It's Checkmate of the golden witch.
Old 2009-11-11, 12:38   Link #1669
Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrasilo View Post
I don't know, if this is the right place to post this in, but, according to Wikipedia, the title for Episode 6 has been announced already: It's Checkmate of the golden witch.
Wikipedia should never be the first source for these things.

In this case, the name Checkmate of the Golden Witch comes from the end of Ep 5. The actual name of Ep 6 has yet to be announced.
Old 2009-11-11, 12:38   Link #1670
ijriims

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrasilo View Post
Actually it was announced within the game itself (EP5, I mean). Anyone having played EP5 would know it already.

But thanks for posting.

The title seemed to suggest a true end. But maybe in EP7 we would see the title as Stalemate of the Golden Witch.
Old 2009-11-11, 13:11   Link #1671
sento

Checkmate of the Golden Witch was the name that Erika choose as Gamemaster.

But at the end, I think that Battler declares that he don't like that name... so, no one knows.
Old 2009-11-11, 13:24   Link #1672
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijriims View Post
Actually it was announced within the game itself (EP5, I mean). Anyone having played EP5 would know it already.

But thanks for posting.

The title seemed to suggest a true end. But maybe in EP7 we would see the title as Stalemate of the Golden Witch.
wait, checkmate before stalemate? Something's wrong there.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2009-11-11, 14:35   Link #1673
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Wiki fails. That is the name proposed by Erika, and Battler says he won't use that name but another one, so you can be 100% sure it wont' be "checkmate of the golden witch".

Old 2009-11-11, 15:01   Link #1674
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Wiki fails. That is the name proposed by Erika, and Battler says he won't use that name but another one, so you can be 100% sure it wont' be "checkmate of the golden witch".
I am pretty sure it would be "return of the golden witch" to satisfy all those BeaBatller fans.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2009-11-11, 15:37   Link #1675
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workworkwork View Post
Keep in mind he only knew about the red and blue truths when he said that. The gold truth is an absolute, "Yes this did happen now stop making theories trying to get around it" truth.
This is either an old 4chan fake spoiler or just a lot of people who are confused. The game never says this about the gold text, so it's just an assumption some people have made. It also doesn't say it's a "stronger version of the red text". Dlanor literally says "The golden truth. A divine truth woven in a different fashion than the red truth. ......Its strength is on par with the red truth. ......It may sometimes be inferior, but it is sometimes superior."

The truth is that we don't know what the gold truth is and can only guess.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
Old 2009-11-11, 18:18   Link #1676
pmoys

I'm actually really interested in the fact that... during this episode, Rudolf omits his last name at one point. It could be assumed that we know he is Ushiromiya Rudolf, but it strikes me as convenient for the Rudolf/Kyrie plot.
Old 2009-11-11, 18:24   Link #1677
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the answers, everyone xD This makes me wonder how small the bombs have to be in order to bypass this rule. I think it's okay for maybe palm-sized bombs, or a little smaller maybe? I'm kind of skeptical of the existence of a bomb small enough to be eaten without detection though (like Battler's explanation for Episode 2's first twilight.)
I think small bombs are a little too ridiculous. Small explosives do exist, but they're either too large to be surreptitiously consumed (hand grenades), or too complex to satisfy Knox ("a very small amount of plastic explosive" might pass, but it's still dubious).

My understanding of the Knox trap rule is that an easy trap is fine. A trap that triggers when a door is opened and a string tied to the door triggers a gun or something. A trapdoor. A snare or strangulation trap. A simple gas trap (like sealing a room and pumping in smoke or something). Basically, anything that's simple to construct and doesn't require that you posit the existence of something that wouldn't reasonably exist on the island already. There's probably string or wire, we know there are guns, and so forth. We don't know there are explosives, let alone small explosives. It's never really been suggested there are, or that there should be. And the means to construct them would require, as stated, a "science lecture" to explain. "He opened the door and a big rock balanced on top of it fell on his head" does not.
Old 2009-11-11, 19:00   Link #1678
pmoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I think small bombs are a little too ridiculous. Small explosives do exist, but they're either too large to be surreptitiously consumed (hand grenades), or too complex to satisfy Knox ("a very small amount of plastic explosive" might pass, but it's still dubious).
With Nanjo being on the island, it does expose us to some interesting items. Nitroglycerin has some medicinal uses, mainly as a heart medication, and can come in the form of pills. It can be taken for heart attacks (hello kinzo, are you on this?), but isn't it also explosive when combined with other elements? Possibly if they've already consumed a reactant, then when the nitroglycerin is introduced (or vice versa) couldn't it cause... a small explosion?
The only problem with this theory is that when it is digested it becomes nitric oxide, and the explosive form is set off by sudden movement, pressure, and flame. We would have to figure out at what point in the digestive process that it becomes nitric oxide.

We might not all know the workings of nitroglycerin, but we all know its explosive and wouldn't take a lot to describe. I feel it may be a way around that knox.

(if we're still talking about maria's halloween scene...)

Last edited by pmoys; 2009-11-11 at 19:52. Reason: interchanging words. they sound fancy in my head, but they warp meaning when used with abandon
Old 2009-11-11, 19:16   Link #1679
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
This is either an old 4chan fake spoiler or just a lot of people who are confused. The game never says this about the gold text, so it's just an assumption some people have made. It also doesn't say it's a "stronger version of the red text". Dlanor literally says "The golden truth. A divine truth woven in a different fashion than the red truth. ......Its strength is on par with the red truth. ......It may sometimes be inferior, but it is sometimes superior."

The truth is that we don't know what the gold truth is and can only guess.
Sorry, I meant to add that I was just guessing.

The fact she calls it sometimes inferior makes sense if it's a truth that cannot be changed or re-manipulated. That is, it's inferior in terms of "Winning" the game.
Old 2009-11-12, 19:11   Link #1680
Tsuyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoys View Post
With Nanjo being on the island, it does expose us to some interesting items. Nitroglycerin has some medicinal uses, mainly as a heart medication, and can come in the form of pills. It can be taken for heart attacks (hello kinzo, are you on this?), but isn't it also explosive when combined with other elements? Possibly if they've already consumed a reactant, then when the nitroglycerin is introduced (or vice versa) couldn't it cause... a small explosion?
The only problem with this theory is that when it is digested it becomes nitric oxide, and the explosive form is set off by sudden movement, pressure, and flame. We would have to figure out at what point in the digestive process that it becomes nitric oxide.

We might not all know the workings of nitroglycerin, but we all know its explosive and wouldn't take a lot to describe. I feel it may be a way around that knox.

(if we're still talking about maria's halloween scene...)
That's an interesting theory for a potential 'small bomb' xD Though I wonder if it's possible to swallow a pill like that without noticing. Unless those adults are like those people who take pills everyday for minor things like acne or whatever, and a different one was slipped in, haha.
Closed Thread