AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-01-04, 15:41   Link #181
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
You might have to consider difference in value and ticket costs if you go that far in the past.
They will include all of that in the calculations and all. The fact is that this guy will have the two highest grossing movies in the world.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 17:13   Link #182
Habhome
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The alleged home of the polar bears, Sweden...
Just saw this movie, and it was really good IMO. Had me on the edge of my seat on several occasions, though some scenes were too long winded, they could have shortened those and added more of his background. They had about 15-30 minutes of background story for the protagonist filmed and done, but it got cut out, together with several hours of film I so want to see.
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Habhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 20:03   Link #183
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
Just saw this movie, and it was really good IMO. Had me on the edge of my seat on several occasions, though some scenes were too long winded, they could have shortened those and added more of his background. They had about 15-30 minutes of background story for the protagonist filmed and done, but it got cut out, together with several hours of film I so want to see.
Hopefully those will be included in the blu ray. I'd like to learn more about the main character before he ended up where he was in the story.
__________________
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 22:03   Link #184
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Hopefully those will be included in the blu ray. I'd like to learn more about the main character before he ended up where he was in the story.
They definitely will. They need extras to help sell them after all. I just want to know if the 3D will be utilized on the BD.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 22:25   Link #185
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
http://web.me.com/pascalboogaert/Site/foto3.html

I lol'd
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 23:35   Link #186
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Okay that is damn funny. And damn accurate too.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 02:23   Link #187
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Okay that is damn funny. And damn accurate too.
Lol, people called it Pochahontas in space, but this one takes it to a whole new level.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 03:15   Link #188
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Avatar is not Pochahontas in space, it's Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter of Mars series (which, fyi, is going to be Pixar's first live action film). Or H. Rider Haggard's Allan Quatermain series. Or James Fenimore Cooper's Natty Bumpo series. Etc.

Hell, just 2 years ago, the same basic story was released, only as a CGI animated kids film called Battle for Terra. Heck, there is even a Tvtrope post concerning this story...

There is nothing really new about Avatar's story, it's simply gorgeous to look at.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 03:56   Link #189
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Aye... its Ferngully in Space with a slight twist ending.

Can we put this "unoriginal" to bed? There are about five or six very basic stories in all of literature (ref: Joseph Campbell's mythologic analyses). Is the story told in an entertaining way? Does it have elements inserted that appeal to the audience?
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 05:31   Link #190
germanturkey
Smiling Monster
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
watched it again today, this time in 2d. still as good. can't wait for blu-ray.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 05:37   Link #191
Habhome
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The alleged home of the polar bears, Sweden...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Haha xD Me and my brother saw some Pocahontas parallels too =P Still the movie was very nice. The effects were really amazing.
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Habhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 08:12   Link #192
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... its Ferngully in Space with a slight twist ending.

Can we put this "unoriginal" to bed? There are about five or six very basic stories in all of literature (ref: Joseph Campbell's mythologic analyses). Is the story told in an entertaining way? Does it have elements inserted that appeal to the audience?
Just because it's the basic white man oppressing native americans doesn't mean everything has to be predictable and cliche. There was so much foreshadowing that there was little surprise.

The movie's only appeal are its visuals, in 3D - that's it. Sure it's entertaining to people of all ages but I bet a lot of people will be dissatisfied with the story.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 10:17   Link #193
Habhome
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The alleged home of the polar bears, Sweden...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Just because it's the basic white man oppressing native americans doesn't mean everything has to be predictable and cliche. There was so much foreshadowing that there was little surprise.

The movie's only appeal are its visuals, in 3D - that's it. Sure it's entertaining to people of all ages but I bet a lot of people will be dissatisfied with the story.
True, I'd love to see it again in 3D just to fawn over the visual aspects of the movie.
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Habhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 10:21   Link #194
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Just because it's the basic white man oppressing native americans doesn't mean everything has to be predictable and cliche. There was so much foreshadowing that there was little surprise.

The movie's only appeal are its visuals, in 3D - that's it. Sure it's entertaining to people of all ages but I bet a lot of people will be dissatisfied with the story.
As Kenneth Turan, in the Los Angeles Times, said, "Think of 'Avatar' as 'The Jazz Singer' of 3-D filmmaking." For those who do not know, The Jazz Singer was an awful film. Extraordinarily contrived, with a silly (old) story; bad acting; bad writing; and just generally bad. But, that doesn't mean it does not deserve its praise as being the first 'talkie'. As The Jazz Singer was a significant leap forward (technologically speaking), so to is Avatar. (Addmittedly, Avatar isn't quite as large of a leap as The Jazz Singer, but it is in the ballpark.)

Consequently, Avatar happens to benefit from being part of one of the few circumstances where, even if it could be called "bad" (which I do not think it is), it is still historic simply due to its technological leap forward.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 10:27   Link #195
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
There's no problem with sucking, it's just that people put on their blinders and claim that this movie is "god" or the best ever, when their clearly been better. Much like people who had first read harry potter, but had not touched lord of the rings, or countless other great novels. And the thing is that when people point out the flaws of the movie, they scream and shout that it's perfect. The denialism is what makes me, as a detractor, even more frustrating.

It's true most stories can be categorized but graphics come and go, just look at the matrix's bullet time, still the first matrix is one my favorite movies even though keanu reeves can't act. It wasn't because of the ground breaking tech, it was just the memoralbleness of the characters, like agent smith, morpheus, tank or dozer.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 14:35   Link #196
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
The movie's only appeal are its visuals, in 3D - that's it. Sure it's entertaining to people of all ages but I bet a lot of people will be dissatisfied with the story.
The visuals are great sure but there's plenty of appeal besides the images and the story. For instance, the story is realistic in many ways - the science is grounded in modern theories, there are practical limitations on space travel, hardware, etc. It's not like they're whipping out time travel like it's the thing to do, like Star Trek.

I found the concepts behind the Avatar program and the Na'vi transfer system interesting. The "hair hookup" thing the Na'vi used was an interesting touch that they shared with the other native species. In a way our own internet is becoming more and more like a giant neural network, in fact many anime have followed that idea including Ghost in the Shell and Serial Experiments Lain.

Surrogates, another recent sci-fi movie, also used the concept of "avatar" bodies. Considering that scientists are getting closer and closer to mapping the brain and understanding how it works, in addition to the advancement of robotics as a whole, the idea that one day we could live out our lives in another body isn't inconceivable.

Anyway, personally I took more away from this movie than the story and the pretty visuals. I took away the possibilities and ideas that were shown. One of the things that got me into science fiction in the first place was that even the weakest of stories often had the most fantastic of settings, and other stories were absolutely amazing because they used the most mundane settings to showcase something extraordinary.

Science fiction to me has always been about the possibilities, the ability to use your imagination to ponder "what if?"
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 14:44   Link #197
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Another bit of food for thought on a conventional RDA counter invasion which would supposedly bring heavier conventional weapons than what Quaritch had.

ISV Venture Star cargo capacity:350 metric tons
Cargo capacity of entire fleet (12 vessels):4200 metric tons

This may seem like allot until you consider that the total tonnage moved by this fleet isn't even half of what a single world war 2 liberty ship could carry (10,000 metric tons). And the United States needed to produce thousands of these ships making multiple supply runs in order to deliver the men and supplies needed to fight world war 2.


Humanity certainly isn't going to launch any kind of kind of conventional counter attack on an entire planet when they're limited to only 4200 metric tons of troops/vehicles/supplies.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 15:35   Link #198
Habhome
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The alleged home of the polar bears, Sweden...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Another bit of food for thought on a conventional RDA counter invasion which would supposedly bring heavier conventional weapons than what Quaritch had.

ISV Venture Star cargo capacity:350 metric tons
Cargo capacity of entire fleet (12 vessels):4200 metric tons

This may seem like allot until you consider that the total tonnage moved by this fleet isn't even half of what a single world war 2 liberty ship could carry (10,000 metric tons). And the United States needed to produce thousands of these ships making multiple supply runs in order to deliver the men and supplies needed to fight world war 2.


Humanity certainly isn't going to launch any kind of kind of conventional counter attack on an entire planet when they're limited to only 4200 metric tons of troops/vehicles/supplies.
Spoiler for Movie:
__________________

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Habhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 17:29   Link #199
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habhome View Post
Spoiler for Movie:
Spoiler:
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-05, 18:17   Link #200
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Because I found it a little funny: Deleted Avatar Sex Scene Opens Up Some Serious Bestiality Issues.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.