AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-08-15, 22:55   Link #1
Aya-tan

Question Suggest a Netgear router

Can anyone suggest good netgear router for me for an ADSL2+ connection
Aya-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 15:15   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Does it have to be Netgear? I tend to favor D-Link, and maybe Linksys.

Of course, all companies have exceptionally great routers, and they all have poor routers. If you find a model that you like, put the model into Google and add "review" to the search term to get a sense of the overall ratings and user experience.

My own personal recommendation? It depends what you're doing. There is no router out there that will prevent you from getting the maximum speed out of your connection.

However, if you torrent heavily, then you should be aware that torrents place a fair bit of strain on routers. Back when I used a Linksys WRT54g (v5) router, I'd have to restart the router regularly after doing some heavy torrenting. Even without torrenting, the router would slow down badly or freeze up on me after a few months, and needed to be rebooted at least every half a year.

My current absolute favorite router is the D-Link DGL 4300. It's marketed as being a gaming router, but you don't need to mind that. It handles torrents without any problem, and unlike the Linksys, I've never had to reboot it due to instability issues. It's a little pricier than your average router, but in my experiences, I got what I paid for. The only potential downside to the DGL 4300 is that it doesn't support wireless N (at this point it's a few years old). It seems that D-Link have updated this router line to include wireless N - take a look at the DGL 4500 for that if you think you might make use of it (it's bound to be more expensive).
Old 2009-08-16, 18:16   Link #3
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
I personally have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 from 2007 and still running fine after 2 years of use... especially after installing DD-WRT, which replaces the crappy stock firmware with a more reliable one... I used to have a WRT54G v2 which I have DD-WRT installed and it worked fine, but I have signal problems, which why I replaced it with a Buffalo router.

If you are going with Linksys, get the WRT54GL since it supports Linux firmware which is more reliable than the cheaper WRT54G v5 that doesn't support the full DD-WRT firmware and the newer revisions are horrible.

When getting a router, make sure it's compatible with DD-WRT firmware since it will make life a bit easier since it have better uPnP support. Most routers don't support the full functionality since they come with so little memory, so I suggest checking the current routers against this list to see if it's compatible.
Old 2009-08-16, 20:59   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
I've never had anything but problems with Linksys routers. Disconnections, refusing to recognize an internet connection, dropping wifi broadcast constantly and generally just being a pain in the ass.

Netgear I've never had problems with. They're cheap, they work. Good enough for me.
Old 2009-08-16, 22:40   Link #5
Aya-tan

D-Link DGL 4300 seems good to me but the problem is this product is not available
in my country, i can buy it from Amazon or somewhere else..but i'm worried about warrenty/service and other blah blah stuffs..i don't want to waste my $134.99 if something goes wrong
Aya-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 23:28   Link #6
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

I gave up on Netgear due to their poor customer service and quality control.

If you want a good router, the D-Link DIR-655 is my personal favorite. Of course any of the D-Link DGL series will do just as good.
Old 2009-08-18, 15:08   Link #7
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I've never had anything but problems with Linksys routers. Disconnections, refusing to recognize an internet connection, dropping wifi broadcast constantly and generally just being a pain in the ass.

Netgear I've never had problems with. They're cheap, they work. Good enough for me.
My experience is exactly the opposite

With one netgear model (2 years ago), I have had to test 5 different firmware at the house of my client to have it synchronize and it was connecting fine with a different firmware at the shop

When remembering this kind of thing I am happy to have stopped this job

For modem/router the only advice I could give you is reading a lot of review, all brand have bad one and good one so take the one with the best review (professional and consumer) whatever its brand is.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote