AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-06-28, 20:20   Link #921
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Somebody called Arnage stripping Isis for no real reason 'tasteful' and 'stylish'? Really?
Making sure she has nothing on her person to escape with is what I'd call a 'real reason.'

Seriously, we're all adults here. Why is a little nudity or a couple of panty shots such a big deal?
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 20:49   Link #922
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maine
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Making sure she has nothing on her person to escape with is what I'd call a 'real reason.'

Seriously, we're all adults here. Why is a little nudity or a couple of panty shots such a big deal?
Because while some watch this franchise for the Stuff Blowing Up, some watch it for the science-fictiony magic setting, some watch it for the lesbian subtext, some watch it for the mingling of magical girl and super robot genres, some watch it for the characters, some watch it for the in-jokes to other anime, some watch it for the music and the voice actors and so on, and some watch it for a mixed bag of some or all of the above, I don't know anyone who actually watches the Nanoha anime or reads the Nanoha manga to see people getting naked. Especially since in S1, A's, and ViVid the service is likely to be loli-based.

Maybe it's just that the fanservice in question is so obviously Pandering to the Base that gets people's hackles up. It's not Motoko Kusanagi being sexy as she walks through a shot because she's just sexy, it's a writer's decision to say, "Hey, let's have this character fight wearing panties/bikini bottoms/whatever to give the readers a thrill." It's like all the frickin' bath scenes, it's pointless and transparent.

(And I have no idea who ever claimed fanservice in MGLN was tasteful or stylish; most of the time I hear people complaining that it's disservice and/or squicky. Comments about characters being sexy/attractive seem to me to revolve more around fanart in the Image Thread--which by its very nature, is single images meant to be looked at.)
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 20:54   Link #923
Justin_Brett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada, Sault Ste. Marie
Quote:
Making sure she has nothing on her person to escape with is what I'd call a 'real reason.'
Yes. Not putting her clothes back on after you've done that, though, is, uh...
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 21:00   Link #924
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Yes. Not putting her clothes back on after you've done that, though, is, uh...
People tend to be extremely uncomfortable when forced to be in the nude. It keeps them off balance, allowing for a captor to have less trouble for them. It ain't easy putting up a fight in the buff. So there's still a basis there.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 21:08   Link #925
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Because while some watch this franchise for the Stuff Blowing Up, some watch it for the science-fictiony magic setting, some watch it for the lesbian subtext, some watch it for the mingling of magical girl and super robot genres, some watch it for the characters, some watch it for the in-jokes to other anime, some watch it for the music and the voice actors and so on, and some watch it for a mixed bag of some or all of the above, I don't know anyone who actually watches the Nanoha anime or reads the Nanoha manga to see people getting naked. Especially since in S1, A's, and ViVid the service is likely to be loli-based.

Maybe it's just that the fanservice in question is so obviously Pandering to the Base that gets people's hackles up. It's not Motoko Kusanagi being sexy as she walks through a shot because she's just sexy, it's a writer's decision to say, "Hey, let's have this character fight wearing panties/bikini bottoms/whatever to give the readers a thrill." It's like all the frickin' bath scenes, it's pointless and transparent.

(And I have no idea who ever claimed fanservice in MGLN was tasteful or stylish; most of the time I hear people complaining that it's disservice and/or squicky. Comments about characters being sexy/attractive seem to me to revolve more around fanart in the Image Thread--which by its very nature, is single images meant to be looked at.)
You say that as if they threw out all the things you mentioned and only left the fanservice. It's only a minor part of the whole and virtually everything these days contain it. It just comes with the territory. The sooner you get used to it, the happier you'll be.

And don't get me started on how totally not sexy the Major is. If she wasn't colder than the arctic tundra then maybe she'd have some sex appeal...
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 21:11   Link #926
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pekanbaru (UTC+07:00)
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Maybe it's just that the fanservice in question is so obviously Pandering to the Base that gets people's hackles up. It's not Motoko Kusanagi being sexy as she walks through a shot because she's just sexy, it's a writer's decision to say, "Hey, let's have this character fight wearing panties/bikini bottoms/whatever to give the readers a thrill."
Pretty much this. Besides, the fact that we're adults instead of, say, overly hormonal teenagers means that we don't need to be lured by out-of-place fanservice anymore
__________________
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 21:32   Link #927
Justin_Brett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada, Sault Ste. Marie
Quote:
People tend to be extremely uncomfortable when forced to be in the nude. It keeps them off balance, allowing for a captor to have less trouble for them. It ain't easy putting up a fight in the buff. So there's still a basis there.
I'd see what you meant there if it hadn't been Arnage doing it. And if Lily hadn't gotten stripped too.

Last edited by Justin_Brett; 2011-06-28 at 21:45.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 21:40   Link #928
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
The Huckebein had already determined Isis to be dangerous to them. You're just splitting hairs now, Justin.

As such, Lily wasn't a threat whatsoever to them since they already knew what she was.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 21:40   Link #929
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nanoha Used Car Dealership. RERISE!
Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
who says its a blessing if arnage did it? she told whats his name to fark a lobster, she's a kinky bastard
__________________
For those that belittle their favorite characters, complain about pairings, complain about oversexed images. Stop, thank you.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 21:49   Link #930
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Pretty much this. Besides, the fact that we're adults instead of, say, overly hormonal teenagers means that we don't need to be lured by out-of-place fanservice anymore
Perhaps not, but hormonal teenagers read it too. Even if it doesn't appeal to you, it appeals to some one else. You can't expect a work to only appeal to you 100%. If you see such fanservice just go "Eh, not my thing" and move along.

About stripping Lily and Isis, it's a case of being safe rather than sorry. Maybe there's something hidden in the clothes? Maybe the clothes themselves can be used to do something? Also, if they're naked they're less likely to try and sneak around the ship.
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 21:51   Link #931
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pekanbaru (UTC+07:00)
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Perhaps not, but hormonal teenagers read it too. Even if it doesn't appeal to you, it appeals to some one else. You can't expect a work to only appeal to you 100%. If you see such fanservice just go "Eh, not my thing" and move along.
You're the one who asked "we're all adults here. Why is a little nudity or a couple of panty shots such a big deal?"

The "we're not overly hormonal teens" was my reply to that

And moving along is only easy if it's just a one-time FS. A Barrier Jacket is used in just about every serious magic fight meaning we would be pestered with shots of that...lingerie thingie just about every time she enters the stage
__________________
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 21:52   Link #932
Justin_Brett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada, Sault Ste. Marie
Does it matter? If the character doesn't actually state they have a reason, then there still is no reason. And even if there was, it's still not tasteful OR stylish - the kidnapping part kind of disqualifies it right away.

Quote:
Also, if they're naked they're less likely to try and sneak around the ship.
I'd like to think the Huckebein are at least intimidating enough to take priority over a lack of clothing...
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 21:58   Link #933
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
And moving along is only easy if it's just a one-time FS. A Barrier Jacket is used in just about every serious magic fight meaning we would be pestered with shots of that...lingerie thingie just about every time she enters the stage
Then don't look at the 14 year old's crotch. Problem solved
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 21:58   Link #934
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Does it matter? If the character doesn't actually state they have a reason, then there still is no reason. And even if there was, it's still not tasteful OR stylish - the kidnapping part kind of disqualifies it right away.
Does this mean you're one of those people who need to have everything about a story spelled out for you so you don't have to think about any elements of it?
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 22:05   Link #935
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pekanbaru (UTC+07:00)
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Then don't look at the 14 year old's crotch. Problem solved
But you can't know where to not look until you look at the picture first!!! (ignorance is a poor form of problem solving)

Meh. Does it matter? Remember what I said about me having a low opinion on Fate's Barrier Jacket? Well this is worse (Lutecia didn't even have the very flimsy excuse of "speed improvement")
__________________
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 22:13   Link #936
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Well if you don't get aroused by the jail bait crotches and boobs then you have nothing to worry about anyways.

Again, you guys are talking like Lutecia is actually wearing her panties in open view. I highly doubt that. It's like watching a tennis anime and thinking the underskirts are panties. They're not.

Seriously, when did anime fans become so prudish?
__________________
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 22:28   Link #937
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pekanbaru (UTC+07:00)
Age: 27
Her panty is on open view.

Prude is when you hate every form of fanservice. Like Kaijo said, if I want to see something arousing I'd reach for porn instead.
__________________
Tiresias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 23:09   Link #938
Aaron008R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
I guess I was right in calling her the hottest topic in Vivid right now.

You guys need to cool your heads a bit. =3




Back in topic, I'm too lazy to transfer all those pics to imgur so I'll leave this instead.

魔法少女リリカルなのはViVid Memory;26☆「プライムマッチ!」

Just google it and you have pics of the newest chapter. It's a rather interesting bout between Banchou (Harri) and Honor Student (announcer girl). :3
__________________

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 23:17   Link #939
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cold Storage
Age: 22
Honor student name seems to be Else Tasmin i think.
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-28, 23:18   Link #940
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Well, Honor student don't have much background and Harii have a score to settle with Victoria so my money is on Banchou girl xD!
__________________
May 29 2010-2014

...4 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
vivid

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.