AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Old 2011-10-26, 18:43   Link #1321
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
So...you believe that Tsuzuki's writing could use much improvement? I never thought we have something in common
Well, everything could be improved, but yeah. Tsuzuki's writing is solid, but nothing particularly spectacular. Certainly not even in the same league as Nasu.
Old 2011-10-26, 18:47   Link #1322
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Well, everything could be improved, but yeah. Tsuzuki's writing is solid, but nothing particularly spectacular. Certainly not even in the same league as Nasu.
Aahahahhaahahahha.

Thanks, you made my day

'Solid Writing' usually is rare for nonbooks these days, though.

I found Madoka pretty solid overall.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 18:52   Link #1323
Justin_Brett

Again: if this outcome was so obvious to you guys, then why all the negativity? You're not gonna like any conclusion if you go in intending not to.

And eh, I think Nasu's pretty good, but he puts in a lot of crazy shit in his works that doesn't really need to be there. Weirdness for weirdness' sake, almost.

Last edited by Justin_Brett; 2011-10-26 at 19:14.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 18:55   Link #1324
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Aahahahhaahahahha.

Thanks, you made my day

Hahahahaha! I thought the series is solid enough. Are you going to laugh at me too? Anyways Madoka? Definitely excellent writing and plot. However I like Nanoha for the characters and the world building which are both awesome to me so at least to me it's Nanoha > Madoka.

Anyways, I never expected plot from Vivid. I don't even think Tsuzuki ever meant Vivid to be about plot but just about being fun than anything. In the 1st series, things got serious quickly. Same thing for A's. Same thing for StrikerS (although it became serious starting around episode 10). Same thing for Force. Vivid though was never really serious and was more relaxing. Nanoha & Fate on their days off. Vivio's everyday lives with her friends, making new friends, train together, join competition, and etc. It's like Aria. Who watches Aria for plot? Plot is almost non-existant in Aria but hell it's damn good to watch especially after a long day.

Force however does focus on plot... and it needs improvement as I feel rather underwhelmed by it and I'm not totally enjoying it either. To me it seems that he's not handling the focus shift very well from the old characters to the new characters.
Old 2011-10-26, 19:02   Link #1325
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Aahahahhaahahahha.

Thanks, you made my day

Depends on your definition of 'solid writing' I suppose. To me it means a work that doesn't have any particularly glaring flaws about it. It doesn't read like something a 13 year old Twilight fangirl would puke out.

Tsuzuki's writing is fine, but like I said nothing spectacular. If the worst complaint people have is how it's predictable and cliche then there's really nothing wrong with it from a functional stand point. Lack of innovation isn't a flaw. You wouldn't point at a building and say it's a terrible building because it looks like all the other buildings, would you? So long as it doesn't fall over, it's a fine building.

Madoka's writing was fine, if overly reliant on shock value caused by the characters being too stupid to ask the right questions.
Old 2011-10-26, 20:07   Link #1326
Kuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Having Einhart lose here would be a pretty meaningless twist, though.
I think we're missing bases here. What /would/ be meaningful in the context of this tournament?

Have you read the HunterxHunter tournament? There, even with the threat of death, the outcomes are not meaningful outside of survival. The very general concepts and lessons learned in the heat of combat however, are.

Here in ViViD, there's nothing about that. The outcome is all that the characters care about. Which, okay, cool, why should we care about the wins/loses/ties ranking? I for my part just want to read an entertaining story.

Quote:
Just being unexpected doesn't make something good,
I don't think I made myself clear there. The outcome isn't so much important as is the lead up. Again, I am hesitant to declare anything solid, but if I read that spoiler clearly?

That is a laaaame way for Corona to lose. That she lost isn't good or bad. That she has to go like that because Einhart and Vivio absolutely must fight each other?

:thumbsdown:

Quote:
And if you're complaining about two people fighting just because, what about As, StrikerS or Force?
In all defense of the above, none of them put down combat as a sport. That said, people have pointed out which fights were just dross in the archives.

Why should ViViD be any kind of an exception?
Kuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 20:42   Link #1327
Justin_Brett

Never read Hunter X Hunter, and what I've heard of it's schedule doesn't make me want to. Is it anything like the Chunin Exam? Raiser brought that up as an example of tension, but I countered that it was more just the threat of it. Stuff happened to the heroes during it, but only things that weren't actually part of the Exam for the most part. There's really no way for that there to be an event like that in a setting like this, either, at least not when the main characters are around ten.

And eh, I'll read the chapter before I form a complete decision on it. Whoever releases these early images seems to include the most shocking page they can.
Old 2011-10-26, 20:47   Link #1328
Kuze

Quote:
Never read Hunter X Hunter, and what I've heard of it's schedule doesn't make me want to.
Ehh, that's recent Togashi. I will defend earlier version of that author, but not what he's been the past six years.

Quote:
Is it anything like the Chunin Exam?
No.
Kuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 21:30   Link #1329
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Referee: "...And the winner by meaningful flashback... Einhart!"
Corona: "Pooh. If only I had a tortured past that I could flashback to mid-fight..."
But corona had her own meaningfull flashback, it was at the start of the fight when everyone was thinking Einhart will curbstomp her, she remembers all the hardships as also the bonds she strenghed during her training and that's the point where she proceeds to show that she's no squishy wizard and start smacking Einhart around the arena.

I think is more accurate to say that Corona lost because her flashback wasn't as meaningful as Einhart's.

...4 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 21:37   Link #1330
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
For me it's Madoka >= Nanoha

So the more meaningful your flashback, the higher your chances of winning?

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 01:01   Link #1331
Zero Hurricane
I'm here for the reason..

Send a message via Yahoo to Zero Hurricane Send a message via Skype™ to Zero Hurricane
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
So the more meaningful your flashback, the higher your chances of winning?
Not always. Sometimes the flashbacks featuring the character failures, and for the umpteenth time that he or she must not make the same mistake.
Old 2011-10-27, 04:48   Link #1332
Skane
Anime Snark

It also depends on whether the author wants to make the character a "woobie", or induce a "Kill/Break The Cutie" moment. Despair is a pretty strong tool when used correctly.

Cheers.
Old 2011-10-27, 07:29   Link #1333
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I find Tsuzuki's writing fairly solid; at least it doesn't have the large plot holes of Madoka, heh. And while Tsuzuki borrows heavily from general shonen tropes, at least he doesn't lift his entire plot from another series like Madoka did.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 09:40   Link #1334
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I find Tsuzuki's writing fairly solid; at least it doesn't have the large plot holes of Madoka, heh. And while Tsuzuki borrows heavily from general shonen tropes, at least he doesn't lift his entire plot from another series like Madoka did.
Super Robot Wars?

...4 yeargo, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-27, 10:46   Link #1335
Zero Hurricane
I'm here for the reason..

Send a message via Yahoo to Zero Hurricane Send a message via Skype™ to Zero Hurricane
Or maybe Fairy Tail?
Old 2011-10-27, 11:45   Link #1336
Justin_Brett

Kamen Rider Ryuki. There's an image for it somewhere.
Old 2011-10-27, 14:15   Link #1337
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Hurricane View Post
Or maybe Fairy Tail?
Definitely not. If it did it would be... odd?

Quote:
Kamen Rider Ryuki. There's an image for it somewhere.
Yeah I heard it was Kamen Rider as well and I also heard somewhere that Gen also said that Kamen Rider was an inspiration...

I do enjoyed Madoka a lot but... I feel that it's a bit overhyped by some people as they seem to be going bonkers over it...
Old 2011-10-27, 16:23   Link #1338
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Gen says he considers Ryuki to be a masterpiece and doesn't deny the similarities.

But none of this is relevant to the thread.
Old 2011-10-27, 16:31   Link #1339
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
But none of this is relevant to the thread.
It actually is.

Gen backward -> Neg
Neg -> Negima -> Mahou Shota with Harem
Mahou Shota with Harem reversed -> Mahou Loli with Harem
Mahou Loli with Harem -> Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid -> Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid is the topic of this thread.

See. It's relevant.

EDIT: THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Old 2011-10-27, 16:32   Link #1340
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
There's no way this would be licensed though in the West. Wish they could produce a bilingual book of this... but this will run afoul of the authorities.

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vivid