AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-23, 01:28   Link #1
qwertyuiopz

Lightbulb character development shows

i have just finished xam'd and i have to say that i am really impressed with the character development that took place and i wanna see more like it, any genre is fine

of all ive seen only a few shows have won me with character development and that would be(in order):
tengen toppa gurren langan
xam'd
overdrive
beck

edit: i forgot to say that death(or any life changing event) is a plus for the type of character development im looking for(none of that shounen stuff where goku can die infinity times), this is a spoiler though so i request that if there is death, please just state so without elaborating on it

ppl can click my sig if anyone is wondering about my lists

Last edited by qwertyuiopz; 2009-08-23 at 02:14.
Old 2009-08-23, 01:38   Link #2
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
You're looking for Honey and Clover.

Maison Ikkoku is also a good choice.

In both of these shows, the ending made me really think back to how far the characters had come.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-08-23, 01:38   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here's a few to start:

Twelve Kingdoms (the most character development I've seen in any anime)
Seirei no Moribito (Chagum in particular)
Kure-nai
Nodame Cantabile
Kemono no Souja Erin
Monster
Old 2009-08-23, 01:55   Link #4
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Eureka Seven is like the big brother of Xam'd, being done by the same studio a couple years before, and it's got some of the most amazing charter development I've seen in anime across a large cast over the course of 50 episodes. An absolute must-see.
Old 2009-08-23, 02:19   Link #5
mit7059

Dammit Theowne always beats me to Honey & Clover, really go watch it now. Cross Game would be another one with character development, as would Clannad: After Story, the first season doesn't have as much as the second season. I think you should look into Planetes as well.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-08-23, 02:19   Link #6
qwertyuiopz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
Eureka Seven is like the big brother of Xam'd, being done by the same studio a couple years before, and it's got some of the most amazing charter development I've seen in anime across a large cast over the course of 50 episodes. An absolute must-see.
lol i found this info out just about yesterday that the creator of eureka7 helped with the making of xam'd, i can also probably guess the reason u say big brother

ive watched a few dubbed eps on tv and i will likely watch it soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
as would Clannad: After Story, the first season doesn't have as much as the second season.
clannad is my top anime but its character development didnt appeal to me til midway of 2nd season
Spoiler for :
Old 2009-08-23, 08:36   Link #7
npcomplete

I definitely recommend Gantz. Main character is portrayed realistically and goes through some big changes towards the end.
Old 2009-08-23, 08:49   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Seconding Maison Ikkoku and Cross Game.

I really need to get around to watching Honey and Clover, since it's mention in that trio so often.
Old 2009-08-23, 10:48   Link #9
Qwey

does honey and clover change much after a few of the first episodes? i started it, and although I wasn't hating it, Hagu (i think--the one that looks like a kid) was really, really annoying.
Old 2009-08-23, 11:08   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Second Seirei no Moribito (Chagum in particular) - it's probably at the very top in terms of being a show driven by character development. Thirding Cross Game, which is less ambitious and spectacular but brilliant in it's straightforward way. I'd also recommend Ghost Hound and Noein, which rely very heavily on CD though both are plot-driven.
Old 2009-08-23, 12:46   Link #11
Timdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewq View Post
does honey and clover change much after a few of the first episodes? i started it, and although I wasn't hating it, Hagu (i think--the one that looks like a kid) was really, really annoying.
I felt the same way. And what's with the love interest in her? That's damn close to pedophilia.

I couldn't watch beyond the first few episodes of Honey and Clover but I'll try again if it does get better. Much of it was fairly boring and I couldn't relate to the characters at all (even though I'm a college sophomore myself).
Old 2009-08-23, 13:40   Link #12
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam Send a message via Skype™ to RadiantBeam
Noir has some incredible character development. I also agree with Seirei no Moribito and Cross Game. Spice and Wolf has great development for the characters in both seasons.
Old 2009-08-23, 17:22   Link #13
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by yewq View Post
Although I never really liked Hagu, Honey & Clover is still my favorite anime ever mainly because of Takemoto. Trust me the show is worth watching purely for watching Takemoto grow.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-08-23, 17:39   Link #14
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
I don't know if H&C "changes" past the first few episodes, because it maintains a steady balance of comedy and drama throughout. But in terms of character growth or just plain character study, it's certainly one of the best. Heck the 7th episode of the second season was more involving than some entire series from a character standpoint.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-08-24, 06:58   Link #15
blewin

I second Honey and Clover, awesome characterisation there with issues that anyone can relate to.

Great characterisation also in:

Eureka Seven
Full Metal Alchemist

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-08-24, 21:08   Link #16
andromeda0201

A big second for Twelve Kingdoms, best character development I've seen in anime

Hikaru no Go and Hunter X Hunter, although being shounen series, focus a lot on character development

Ga-Rei Zero also has a reasonable amount of development, especially for Yomi, in fact I'm rather impressed with how the series succesfully delivers in so few episodes

Kaleido Star as well, if you can stand something a bit more shoujo, the final scene is magnificient after seeing Sora strive so hard throughout the majority of the series
Closed Thread