AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-10-21, 11:29   Link #201
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I wanna see Haruhi's parents, because currently I am under the impression of her having no family and living by herself.
Also, I get that Toradora! referance, funny
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 11:31   Link #202
Kogetsu Shirogane
Desu desu!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Haruhi has parents. She believes she has parents, and thus, they exist.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... desu desu...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 11:33   Link #203
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Haruhi has parents. She believes she has parents, and thus, they exist.
Haruhi has parents (well, a father at least - her mother is never referenced so maybe her mother passed on; who knows?), it's just that they don't show up. Pretty understandable given that there's no scenes at Haruhi's home.
Old 2009-10-21, 11:33   Link #204
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Haruhi (at night): I know they exist, I know they do...
Quote:
there's no scenes at Haruhi's home.
WHich is why Kyon needs to go over there.
I have a strange feeling that Haruhi's a oujo-sama
Old 2009-10-21, 12:00   Link #205
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
I have a strange feeling that Haruhi's a oujo-sama
Would explain why she's so spoiled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Haruhi's parents want to have her transferred to a more prestigious school...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
So basically like the ending of Toradora then. >_>
Old 2009-10-21, 12:11   Link #206
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

But..Mugi from K-On is Oujo-sama but isn't spoiled.
Oh well.
Maybe North High is a semi-richie school, as Kyouyuen or however the hell you spell it is a richie people schoolio, explaining why
Spoiler for novel 4:
Old 2009-10-21, 12:27   Link #207
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

North High is the most normal high school in the area, which is why Kyon chose it.

Kouyouen Academy, however, is a prestigious school for rich girls. Haruhi would have most definitely gone there if it weren't for -a certain person- which is why yes, her family is probably rich.
Old 2009-10-21, 12:38   Link #208
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Would explain why she's so spoiled...
What does Oujo-Sama mean?

And... not all of us have watched all of Toradora you know. If I happen to have struck upon the exact same basic narrative as the end of Toradora, it is purely coincidental.
Old 2009-10-21, 12:40   Link #209
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Oujo-sama=Milady
Like, It's sort of what servans/maids I guess call the child of who their working for.
That's what I think, at least.
Also, the way Haruhi is dressed (in normal clothes) you can tell she's better off than the average stsudent at North High, And I would recommend Toradora if you like short angry girls falling in love with tall best friends who are also enemies..think of Zero no Tsukaima and Shakugan no Shana
Old 2009-10-21, 13:05   Link #210
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Oujo-sama=Milady
Like, It's sort of what servans/maids I guess call the child of who their working for.
That's what I think, at least.
Also, the way Haruhi is dressed (in normal clothes) you can tell she's better off than the average stsudent at North High, And I would recommend Toradora if you like short angry girls falling in love with tall best friends who are also enemies..think of Zero no Tsukaima and Shakugan no Shana
I'm inclined to think that Haruhi is reasonably well-off, but I find it hard to believe that her/her family are outright rich, because...

1) She traded off Mikuru as a promo girl in return for certain businesses giving her certain items for free (such as a video camera).

2) She lays all of these harsh financial penalties on Kyon.

3) Her Uncle got the SOS Brigade to do promotional work for him in return for giving his niece Haruhi the frog costume.

This doesn't strike me as the actions of a rich teenager. A rich teenager would simply use her cash to outright buy what she wanted... she wouldn't go to this sort of needless trouble. What's the cost of a video camera to a rich teenager? Why risk pissing off a guy you like for what is chump change to you?

As for Toradora... I watched a few episodes of it before losing interest. I might pick it up again, though. Thanks for the recommendation all the same.
Old 2009-10-21, 13:19   Link #211
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
What does Oujo-Sama mean?

And... not all of us have watched all of Toradora you know. If I happen to have struck upon the exact same basic narrative as the end of Toradora, it is purely coincidental.
Toradora is fantastic and if you like romance series in any what whatsoever I'd suggest you watch it.

An an "oujou-sama" is usually in reference to the daughter of an incredibly rich family...

Quote:
I'm inclined to think that Haruhi is reasonably well-off, but I find it hard to believe that her/her family are outright rich, because...

1) She traded off Mikuru as a promo girl in return for certain businesses giving her certain items for free (such as a video camera).

2) She lays all of these harsh financial penalties on Kyon.

3) Her Uncle got the SOS Brigade to do promotional work for him in return for giving his niece Haruhi the frog costume.

This doesn't strike me as the actions of a rich teenager. A rich teenager would simply use her cash to outright buy what she wanted... she wouldn't go to this sort of needless trouble. What's the cost of a video camera to a rich teenager? Why risk pissing off a guy you like for what is chump change to you?
And yet she manages to get ahold of these expensive fetishy outfits... I wouldn't be surprised if she only got an allowance of some kind.

Quote:
Also, the way Haruhi is dressed (in normal clothes) you can tell she's better off than the average stsudent at North High
This is true, her outfits look expensive, unlike, say, what Kyon wears, which is clearly thrown together on the spot.

Quote:
And I would recommend Toradora if you like short angry girls falling in love with tall best friends who are also enemies..think of Zero no Tsukaima and Shakugan no Shana
-_- Toradora is nothing like ZnT or Shana and comparing Taiga to either of the lead females from those shows is an insult to her excellent character.
Old 2009-10-21, 13:55   Link #212
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

But Haruhi would think: "Just buying this stuff is boring! Let's do something more interesting to get it!"
Quote:
Toradora is nothing like ZnT or Shana and comparing Taiga to either of the lead females from those shows is an insult to her excellent character
Not really.
Same voice actress, their all angry small people who fall in love
Old 2009-10-21, 14:00   Link #213
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
But Haruhi would think: "Just buying this stuff is boring! Let's do something more interesting to get it!"
Actually... there's a bigger reason to think that Haruhi's family is not rich. The fact that her movie has so incredibly low production values. You don't think that Haruhi would pull out all the stops to make her movie look like a professional Hollywood production if she had the wealth to do so?

Also, Haruhi is clearly quite talented at acquiring items for free. It's not hard to believe that her possession of fetish wear came about through similar means...

If some fans want to think that Haruhi is from a rich family, that's fine, but the argument behind it is not strong enough to deem it canon, imo.
Old 2009-10-21, 14:28   Link #214
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

We're not going to know, ever, probably, wether she's rich or not.
It'd be coolio to think she was, and I can see where she is in some points, but not at rich people let off that they're rich.
Also, maybe she thought the quality was "okay.." and felt no need to change it
Old 2009-10-21, 16:14   Link #215
Ithekro
The Comet IS Coming

An odd point. If Kouyouen Academy is for the rich girls...why is Tsuruya in North High?
Old 2009-10-21, 16:19   Link #216
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

'Cuz she donts care, nyoro.
Old 2009-10-21, 16:59   Link #217
CrowKenobi
Est. MMV

Quote:
Not really.
Same voice actress, their all angry small people who fall in love
Using your example, how would you compare Kyon to Yuichi Aizawa?

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 17:37   Link #218
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
We're not going to know, ever, probably, wether she's rich or not.
It'd be coolio to think she was, and I can see where she is in some points, but not at rich people let off that they're rich.
Also, maybe she thought the quality was "okay.." and felt no need to change it
Fair enough.

This discussion reminds me of a mash-up idea I had once.

Ever watch the Annie movie? You know, the classic musical where little orphan Annie is adopted by billionaire Oliver Warbucks? I once thought of doing an AMV of sorts to an Annie movie trailer where Haruhi would be Annie, the boy that trashtalked Annie would be the CCP, Oliver Warbucks would be DCAU Lex Luthor, and the crooks would be Lupin III and his buddies.

Maybe I could give that a try if anybody here would be interested.

It does seem like the idea of Haruhi having rich parents is popular with folks.

On Shana vs. Taiga vs. Louise... Louise struck me as the harshest of the lot, but then she had reason to be given how she was treated in class, lol.

Shana and Taiga (from the few episodes I watched of Toradora) really do seem a lot alike to me, though.

That's no insult to Taiga, though... I personally like Shana's character a lot. She's one of my favorites, actually.
Old 2009-10-21, 17:47   Link #219
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

..That's a good idea.
DO THE IDEA TRIPLE R.
Old 2009-10-21, 18:43   Link #220
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

Haruhi doesn't strike me as a rich ojou-sama, more like a middle class teenager, but i guess we'll never know until Kyon steps into Haruhi's house.....it'd be funny if Haruhi's parents ended up being like Haruhi's parents in JonBob's fanfiction

also, on a side note, Toradora! is in no way anything like Zero no Tsukaima and Shana, even if all three have a romance/comedy feeling, and the three tsunderes are voiced by Kugimiya Rie......Taiga may be a tsundere, but she doesn't have much similarities with Louise and Shana, so yes, it would be kinda insulting to say all three are the same just cuz they're all short tsunderes

now, can we stop discussing Toradora! before we end up going completely off topic
Tensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters