AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-10-21, 19:20   Link #221
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensei View Post
Haruhi doesn't strike me as a rich ojou-sama, more like a middle class teenager, but i guess we'll never know until Kyon steps into Haruhi's house.....it'd be funny if Haruhi's parents ended up being like Haruhi's parents in JonBob's fanfiction

also, on a side note, Toradora! is in no way anything like Zero no Tsukaima and Shana, even if all three have a romance/comedy feeling, and the three tsunderes are voiced by Kugimiya Rie......
Well, that's two ways right there, isn't it?

Toradora! is much more of a strict romance comedy than the other two animes are (the other two animes having far more shonen aspects to it than Toradora! has) but the comparison isn't completely unfair, imo. I can see why Amy made it.

Amy - Thanks for the encouragement. I might give it a shot.
Old 2009-10-21, 20:23   Link #222
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
You're welcome for lovely encouragement.
Onto topic-san...
um...

....Taniguchi.....should get a date.....*trying to stay on topic of randomly talking about characters*
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 21:42   Link #223
Triple_R
Center Attraction

I've always liked the idea of Taniguchi and Tsuruya as a couple for some reason.
Old 2009-10-21, 22:04   Link #224
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Same! Even though she's a few years older and all, for some reason they seem good.
Prolly cuz Tsuruya looks good with just about everyone considering she's friends with just about everyone..
Old 2009-10-21, 22:06   Link #225
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Well, Tsuruya's interesting because as far as we see, she's damn close to being 'perfect', but there are, what seem to me, hints of various personality flaws that'd be interesting to explore more fully with just about any other character as a foil, be it romantic or otherwise.
Old 2009-10-21, 22:10   Link #226
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

What flaws? besides laughing uncontrollably..
Old 2009-10-21, 22:15   Link #227
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
What flaws? besides laughing uncontrollably..
Well, her complicity in
Spoiler for Sighs:
implies two possibilities. Either she is A) given to get carried away doing things for the lulz until she sees the repercussions or is B) manipulative and willing to subject people to unfair treatment to achieve whatever ends she has in mind. The latter point could also be run with if you want to interpret her desire to have a hand in the SOS Brigade, but not one that's drawn into focus or the scrutiny of the group. She contributes when the situation favors it, and she's not 'obliged' like the SOS Brigade members, so whatever influence she exerts is entirely on her terms. Granted, I don't see her as being malevolent, just perhaps a bit distant and playfully cantankerous, but you have that come out in certain contexts, it can create problems.
Old 2009-10-21, 22:18   Link #228
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Remember,
Spoiler for sighs:

She's said so in Novel 7(?) but she knows that Haruhi isn't normal, so maybe she thought "What if I say no? What If sometin megas bad happens?" and decided to go with it to avoid consquences.
But, of course, a few minites along the line..
Old 2009-10-21, 22:19   Link #229
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Well, her complicity in
Spoiler for Sighs:
implies two possibilities. Either she is A) given to get carried away doing things for the lulz until she sees the repercussions or is B) manipulative and willing to subject people to unfair treatment to achieve whatever ends she has in mind.

There's more I want to express concern about, but I'm having a brain cramp right now.
Agreed. I don't consider it a major character flaw, but it is a character flaw. However, it's a character flaw that actually makes Tsuruya a better character in a roundabout way (flawless characters are typically uninteresting).
Old 2009-10-21, 22:23   Link #230
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Every character has a flaw- especially Yanagimoto. get over yourself and like Haruhi
Haruhi especially, which once again makes me wonder how her life at home is.
Speaking of which, Kyon should have his nonexistant parents show up.
Everyone's parent should show up for conferences
Old 2009-10-21, 22:26   Link #231
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Agreed. I don't consider it a major character flaw, but it is a character flaw. However, it's a character flaw that actually makes Tsuruya a better character in a roundabout way (flawless characters are typically uninteresting).
Oh definitely, from a literary perspective, this stuff is what made me take an interest in her, thinking "Gee, even this secondary character has hints laid out for possible development throughout the series."

If anything, I'd like to see those things fleshed out more. And given my neutrality on shipping, I could actually see myself enjoying a Tsuruya/Kyon (or whomever) fic that really drew her out further, rather than her 'perfect' typecasting. Tsuruya Family Law was very impressively drawn, but that sort of presentation of her falls short of a believable, enjoyable mark to me.
Old 2009-10-21, 23:22   Link #232
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
Every character has a flaw- especially Yanagimoto. get over yourself and like Haruhi
Haruhi especially, which once again makes me wonder how her life at home is.
Speaking of which, Kyon should have his nonexistant parents show up.
Everyone's parent should show up for conferences
Since you keep talking about Haruhi's parents... you may want to check out my fanfic The Father of Haruhi Suzumiya. It focuses on my conception of what Haruhi's father might be like, based on Haruhi's own personality.

I haven't updated it in ages, but you might enjoy what I've done already.
Old 2009-10-22, 02:16   Link #233
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Since you keep talking about Haruhi's parents... you may want to check out my fanfic The Father of Haruhi Suzumiya. It focuses on my conception of what Haruhi's father might be like, based on Haruhi's own personality.

I haven't updated it in ages, but you might enjoy what I've done already.
I'm guessing.

Somewhat like Konata's dad is to Konata?
Old 2009-10-22, 03:49   Link #234
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Man, when the mods get to this thread, there's going to be some massive editing... You guys do know this is the "General Character" discussion thread, and not the Tsuruya or Haruhi thread, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
-_- Toradora is nothing like ZnT or Shana and comparing Taiga to either of the lead females from those shows is an insult to her excellent character.
I honestly don't know if you're kidding or serious there, but either way, it's hilarious. Kugimin humor... ^_^

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2009-10-22 at 11:14. Reason: Quoted wrong thread....
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 03:57   Link #235
Otaku Emperor
Love Conquers All!

Location: The Suzumiya Haruhi Section of AnimeSuki, (I placed my main Otaku HQ box there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Man, when the mods get to this thread, there's going to be some massive editing... You guys do know this is the "General Character" discussion thread, and not the Tsuruya or Haruhi thread, right?

I honestly don't know if you're kidding or serious there, but either way, it's hilarious. Kugimin humor... ^_^

www.1guy1interface1cup.com
We are doing general character discussion.

Haruhi and Tsuruya ARE general characters ;p

I always have wondered though, where are the parents half the time?

Cause it seems like they are on perm vacation (At least for Kyon)
Old 2009-10-22, 05:41   Link #236
xris
Just call me Ojisan

From the opening post of this thread
Quote:
The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss things related to all the Suzumiya Haruhi series characters who are not fortunate enough to have a thread of their own.
It seem A few Infractions are going to be in order since certain people seem so clueless that they can't understand that discussion on Haruhi and Kyon does not belong in this thread. I suggest recent posters make use of the Edit button before they get banned.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 05:51   Link #237
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Emperor View Post
I always have wondered though, where are the parents half the time?

Cause it seems like they are on perm vacation (At least for Kyon)
We see more of Kyon's mother than we do anyone else's parents. His father gets a mention, Haruhi's father gets a mention, her mother is unknown, Koizumi's parents are completely unknown, Nagato presumably has nothing that we would consider parental units, and Asahina-san's are also a mystery (and still far off in the future, probably).

Parents just aren't that interesting or relevant to the story, I guess, even if I'm really curious about what they're like.
worldruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-22, 06:02   Link #238
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

This topic would (if stay on topic) should be changed to "The CHarcter Discussian of Kunikida and Taniguchi"
And Triple R, I already have read it. And have been waiting a long time for an update haha
Old 2009-10-22, 06:09   Link #239
DmitryEV

Send a message via ICQ to DmitryEV
Quote:
This topic would (if stay on topic) should be changed to "The CHarcter Discussian of Kunikida and Taniguchi"
And Triple R, I already have read it. And have been waiting a long time for an update haha
You forgot about Tsuruya, Asakura Ryoko and Kyon's sister.
Old 2009-10-22, 06:29   Link #240
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Please, everyone knows the General Character thread is for discussing the intricacies of the CCP, bless his little heart.

(Speaking of, his parents are in "Honduras"? Tanigawa really seems to dislike parents. XD)
worldruined is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters