AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 44 31.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 32.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 19.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 8.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 5.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-01, 01:28   Link #321
Kogetsu Shirogane
Desu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Takeru's Basement
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Except I am again the apparent exception, as I didn't feel let down at all by E8, yet found the first part of Sigh, as well as half of the second, to be dull.
__________________
Kyouko Sakura and Madoka Kaname, Puella Magi Madoka Magica
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... desu desu...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 03:24   Link #322
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Except I am again the apparent exception, as I didn't feel let down at all by E8, yet found the first part of Sigh, as well as half of the second, to be dull.
But you're also a Yukiist who doesn't ship Yuki/Kyon.

...You're very strange, you know.


In any case, someone mentioned the Cat earlier? Just wait a couple episodes.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 03:26   Link #323
Kogetsu Shirogane
Desu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Takeru's Basement
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Regular Kyon, yes. The Yuki-chan manga is another story. For now.
__________________
Kyouko Sakura and Madoka Kaname, Puella Magi Madoka Magica
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... desu desu...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 03:59   Link #324
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: August 17th - 31st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
But you're also a Yukiist who doesn't ship Yuki/Kyon.

...You're very strange, you know.
Do Yukiist really want a Yuki/Kyon pairing? Deep down... I don't think so... I can hear it in their hearts... "Kyon can have Haruhi... Yuki is all mine..."
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 04:01   Link #325
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Heh-heh-heh.......
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 04:12   Link #326
Kogetsu Shirogane
Desu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Takeru's Basement
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Do Yukiist really want a Yuki/Kyon pairing? Deep down... I don't think so... I can hear it in their hearts... "Kyon can have Haruhi... Yuki is all mine..."
... You have the Haruhi part right, at least.
__________________
Kyouko Sakura and Madoka Kaname, Puella Magi Madoka Magica
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... desu desu...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 04:18   Link #327
Triple_R
The Price is Right
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Funny that we go from Haruhi 2006, to Kannagi, to K-On, and back to Haruhi again (2009). All are compared to the previous version...so therefore shouldn't the two Haruhi's be more or less the same? If K-On looks like Kannagi style which looks like Haruhi style, shouldn't Haruhi look like Haruhi style if it looks like K-On? HmmmMmmmm?
I decided to watch the first episode of Kannagi based on this thread, and... there's some slight similarities between Kannagi and 2006 Haruhi. There's enough there to notice it. But... there's quite a few differences too. And it's largely the differences that lead into Kannagi's art style looking like K-On. Basically, Kannagi is like a hybrid of K-On's art style and Haruhi 2006's style.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

In all seriousness, I think people had just become incredibly spoiled, ...
This... sort of thinking is baffling to me. How are Haruhi fans "incredibly spoiled"?

One Piece fans, maybe... over 400 episodes of something you like/love, now maybe I could see somebody calling that 'spoiled'. But 14 episodes, and then three years of virtually nothing? How is that "incredibly spoiled"?


Quote:
...they were 'let down' because of E8, and are now basically throwing a long term tantrum.
I'm going to be blunt here - any other fandom would have reacted worse to something like E8 than this fandom did. A "long term tantrum"... good grief, the reaction to E8 is nothing compared to reaction to the Star Wars prequels or to the Schumacher Batman films. Even if I stick to just anime...

When I compare the reaction to E8, to the reaction to the first half of Nanoha Striker S, to the reaction to the first half of Shakugan no Shana Season 2, to the reaction to the Bounts arc in Bleach... this fandom is the only one that has a really hard time accepting criticism over what many fans simply found slow and boring. There were disagreements, sure, over just how bad the first half of Shakugan no Shana Season 2 was, but nobody (that I can recall) got downright defensive over observations on how bad the first half of Shakugan no Shana Season 2 was.

And you can be sure that Shakugan no Shana fans would be united in strong criticism against JC Staff if they had tried something like E8 during the second season of Shana.

But... I guess that there's something about KyoAni that makes it really hard for people to accept criticism of it. I've honestly never seen anything quite like it before, and I've been a part of a lot of different fan communities.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 04:37   Link #328
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: August 17th - 31st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... You have the Haruhi part right, at least.
Don't keep lying... deep down, all Yukiist wish they could give Nagato a "hug."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
This... sort of thinking is baffling to me. How are Haruhi fans "incredibly spoiled"?
I think he meant Haruhi fans were spoiled by the quality of the first season.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 04:43   Link #329
Archon_Wing
Cool Story Bro
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Eating Donuts
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post


This... sort of thinking is baffling to me. How are Haruhi fans "incredibly spoiled"?

One Piece fans, maybe... over 400 episodes of something you like/love, now maybe I could see somebody calling that 'spoiled'. But 14 episodes, and then three years of virtually nothing? How is that "incredibly spoiled"?
I think it's more like most abused with vague trailers and trolling. It especially hit me when they chucked a Clannad OVA while Endless Eight was happening. I was like "lol wut?"

Quote:
I'm going to be blunt here - any other fandom would have reacted worse to something like E8 than this fandom did. A "long term tantrum"... good grief, the reaction to E8 is nothing compared to reaction to the Star Wars prequels or to the Schumacher Batman films. Even if I stick to just anime...
Ugh, Batman and Robin.

Quote:
When I compare the reaction to E8, to the reaction to the first half of Nanoha Striker S, to the reaction to the first half of Shakugan no Shana Season 2, to the reaction to the Bounts arc in Bleach... this fandom is the only one that has a really hard time accepting criticism over what many fans simply found slow and boring. There were disagreements, sure, over just how bad the first half of Shakugan no Shana Season 2 was, but nobody (that I can recall) got downright defensive over observations on how bad the first half of Shakugan no Shana Season 2 was.

And you can be sure that Shakugan no Shana fans would be united in strong criticism against JC Staff if they had tried something like E8 during the second season of Shana.
Agreed. Though the "Shakugan Days" Konoe arc was its own mini-Endless Eight for me. Of course Shana and Nanoha did follow up with some of the most amazing stuff in their respective series which far more than canceled out the crappiness, so I woulld keep hopes high for Haruhi... everyone makes mistakes.


Quote:
But... I guess that there's something about KyoAni that makes it really hard for people to accept criticism of it. I've honestly never seen anything quite like it before, and I've been a part of a lot of different fan communities.
IMO, they've never made something that's truly sucked. Well, ok Lucky Star started out pretty bad, but at least it had some funny moments. Though you could argue that they haven't made enough shows yet.
__________________
Dedicated to the conservation of anime noses.
Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 04:51   Link #330
Triple_R
The Price is Right
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
I think he meant Haruhi fans were spoiled by the quality of the first season.
Ok, as it pertains to art work... I'll capitulate to this. Haruhi 2006's artwork was outstanding. Almost any art style change would seem bad after that.

I guess that's why it's hard to figure why they changed it. This isn't "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", this is "It's out of this world good!... fix it? What needs to be fixed?!"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I think it's more like most abused with vague trailers and trolling. It especially hit me when they chucked a Clannad OVA while Endless Eight was happening. I was like "lol wut?"
LOL


Quote:
Ugh, Batman and Robin.
Ok, I went too far there. Like I said a few weeks back, E8 is genuinely better than Batman and Robin.


Quote:
Agreed. Though the "Shakugan Days" Konoe arc was its own mini-Endless Eight for me.
Same here. I was so relieved when Pheles finally showed up.


Quote:
Of course Shana and Nanoha did follow up with some of the most amazing stuff in their respective series which far more than canceled out the crappiness, so I would keep hopes high for Haruhi... everyone makes mistakes.
Absolutely agree on Shana and Nanoha. And if Vanishment is made and made well, that could more than make up for E8.

And you're right - everyone makes mistakes. I'm quite willing to forgive mistakes.


Quote:
IMO, they've never made something that's truly sucked. Well, ok Lucky Star started out pretty bad, but at least it had some funny moments. Though you could argue that they haven't made enough shows yet.
I can kind of see this. Sighs has rescued this season from truly sucking as a whole, but EE on its own...
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 05:07   Link #331
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: August 17th - 31st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Ok, as it pertains to art work... I'll capitulate to this. Haruhi 2006's artwork was outstanding. Almost any art style change would seem bad after that.
No, I think he meant the content (the art work wasn't anything special).
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 07:14   Link #332
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Quote:
Haruhi 2006's artwork was outstanding. Almost any art style change would seem bad after that.
I'm tired of it.
It wasn't.
If it was, I wouldn't have hard time finding Haruhi as beautiful as Kyon was describing her in Melancholy I.
Considering it was a bit "Key"-fied, and I can hardly say that Key artsyle is good at all...

Quote:
This isn't "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", this is "It's out of this world good!... fix it? What needs to be fixed?!"
More of a "They Changed It, Now It Sucks".



Now as for
Quote:
I think he meant Haruhi fans were spoiled by the quality of the first season.
There I could agree. With some "but"s, tho.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 07:18   Link #333
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Considering it was a bit "Key"-fied, and I can hardly say that Key artsyle is good at all...
I love the Key art style.

Okay, maybe not the chins, but, still.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 07:34   Link #334
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philippines
KyoAni-revised KEY design is definitely better than the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
... to the reaction to the first half of Shakugan no Shana Season 2...
Durr... I see more qq in any E8 thread (from 2-7) than all of these here combined. Explain.
__________________
Ice Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 07:43   Link #335
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Quote:
KyoAni-revised KEY design is definitely better than the original.
It's still pretty terribad.
Especially Air.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 08:13   Link #336
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
It's still pretty terribad.
Especially Air.
If you put it that way, at least we have decent progression from AIR -> Kanon -> Clannad -> ??.
__________________
Ice Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 08:20   Link #337
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Quote:
If you put it that way, at least we have decent progression from AIR -> Kanon -> Clannad -> ??

Careful with those ->, someone might try and extend the line further.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 08:24   Link #338
thirdlc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Many people are saying about the old style, but was Ikeda Kazumi's art style three years ago so good? The first sequences of Boredom, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In any event, if this is a mix between newer style and classic Haruhi style, I'll take this any day over the newer style alone. It's far far better than the newer style alone, as it pertains to what suits this anime.
I think they have to make it close to Haruhi 2006 during Sigh because they need to use the same shots in Mikuru's adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
I will agree that correlation does not equal causation... but what other theories are there for the extreme shift in art style?
Their art style has been changing slowly but surely. I'm not talking about character designs.

Haruhi 2006 looks like Air and FMP! TSR, but is a bit different.
Kanon looks Haruhi 2006, but is a bit different.
Lucky Star looks like Kanon, but is a bit different.
Clannad looks like Lucky Star, but is a bit different.
Clannad AS looks like Clannad, but is a bit different.
K-ON! looks like Clannad AS, but is a bit different.
Haruhi 2009 looks like K-ON!, but is a bit different.

Haruhi 2006 and 2009 look different.

Do you need any other theories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
The main reason I picked up Kannagi was because its art resembled Haruhi's (what was more surprising was the dancing OP!). And, if you lazy non-lurkers check the first few pages of the K-On thread, you'll see that, in turn, it resembled Kannagi -- so much that it was speculated that either KyoAni or Studio Ordet (collaborating with A-1 or otherwise) would be doing the animation.
The Kannagi character designer and animation director is an alias which animators are using, as Yamakan revealed it. It's one of strong theories that one of them is Horiguchi.
__________________
Are you going to say "budget"? Wait! Is your point really related to budget? Isn't it time or style?
Simply put, production time is consistency, and budget is framerate.
Even poor animation is costlier than a high-quality still shot.
thirdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 09:29   Link #339
Heatth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brasil
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
Their art style has been changing slowly but surely. I'm not talking about character designs.

Haruhi 2006 looks like Air and FMP! TSR, but is a bit different.
Kanon looks Haruhi 2006, but is a bit different.
Lucky Star looks like Kanon, but is a bit different.
Clannad looks like Lucky Star, but is a bit different.
Clannad AS looks like Clannad, but is a bit different.
K-ON! looks like Clannad AS, but is a bit different.
Haruhi 2009 looks like K-ON!, but is a bit different.

Haruhi 2006 and 2009 look different.

Do you need any other theories?
Nice theory. Just remove Lucky Star from it, as neither Kannon nor Clannad have nothing similar to it

I also think Haruhi 2009 don't have a fixed style. Each episode of EE are different. And Sigh's episodes have the art changing a little every week.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-01, 09:50   Link #340
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey, United States
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
What irks me is the difference since it's been three years... it's expected, but Clannad in my experience of watching both seasons, it have little or no difference in art style... maybe the first few episodes of Clannad AS... but they problem is, why Haruhi 2006 Art style can't be carried over to 2009 so it will be just as great even if the staff have changed?

If Haruhi 2009 couldn't keep it's art style, I would rather them use the art style used in Kanon and Clannad... not K-ON or the new style... it doesn't look right since Haruhi S2 isn't entirely a moe show after all besides from Mikuru.
__________________
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.