AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-03-02, 00:34   Link #1
pantagruel

does surfing the internet slow down bt download speed?

someone told me it does but i dont believe him
pantagruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 01:18   Link #2
Weirdanzeige
Anti-You

no, it doesn't affect it..well...at least not for me :P
Weirdanzeige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 13:33   Link #3
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
It CAN depending on the intensity of your surfing and the speed of your connection.
DWKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 13:37   Link #4
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

I dont think so. I know the reverse can be true. I have DSL and if I dont cap my upload surfing can drop to dial up speed.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 14:01   Link #5
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

That's the same with me. If I've got more than 2 or 3 bt's going my browsing speed is slowed down considerably, as well if I have any dloads going from usenet I usually get very good speeds. If I'm dloading BT, that usenet dload speed also drops considerably.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-03, 14:11   Link #6
xxziggybitsxx

Send a message via AIM to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via MSN to xxziggybitsxx Send a message via Yahoo to xxziggybitsxx
No...I dont think so. When you are downloading, you have a thing called a bandwith. Think as bandwith as a big "tube". When you are downloading thats when you have you bandwith doing "its" thing, but when you are surfing, you are just accessing pages, and downloading TINY files. So if it did affect the bandwith, it wouldn't be much... XD
Old 2004-05-15, 20:03   Link #7
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Only when loading a page that takes a long time to load.
But it can go slowly to when using other programs, like Kazaa at the same time.

This is what happens to me not an expert opinion.
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 09:01   Link #8
DistortedRealmS

Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
Here is what really made me go The other day I had four torrents open and I was listening to music, checking up on forums and had msn open yet the torrents were pushing at good speeds. I noticed then that my time is off in the corner a good deal so I click the time and I correct it, upon exiting the clcok program I look at all 4 torrents and they are all at 0/0 upload and download but instantly took off again upon exiting the time window...what is that? of all programs I would think to have no effect on torrent activity I was dumbfounded to see this, just weird.

Rob
DistortedRealmS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 09:20   Link #9
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Maybe it's because of the way those programs work. They can use a part of your computer at the same time or something. Using two bit torrents program often slow the two or just one of them. I already try to do that just to compare the two programs.

the again: i'm not an expert!
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 09:57   Link #10
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantagruel
someone told me it does but i dont believe him
The easiest way to test it would be to download some stuff from a site (HTTP) and having BT open at the same time.
If your HTTP download speed rises, and your BT speed drops, you can assume that HTTP (read: browsing in the Internet) has higher priority than BT. And vice versa.

Still, never forget that the BT download speeds tend drop and rise anyway a bit.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 12:06   Link #11
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
or you can set prioty in your task manager. Im not to sure if that would help but sounds like it would.
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 21:21   Link #12
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxziggybitsxx
No...I dont think so. When you are downloading, you have a thing called a bandwith. Think as bandwith as a big "tube". When you are downloading thats when you have you bandwith doing "its" thing, but when you are surfing, you are just accessing pages, and downloading TINY files. So if it did affect the bandwith, it wouldn't be much... XD

I have a 4Mbit cable connection, Trust me.. BitTorrent can drag my Websurfing to a stand still.

Of course, thats because I have 12 BitTorrent downloads running at once... BUT thats not the point! The point is that BT can affect your speed.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 21:31   Link #13
minglong
Jump!

BitTorrent will affect your transfer rates for other internet applications whilst it is running. To what extent is a different matter. Shoud your BitTorrent client be left at an "unlimited" state (not throttled), depending on the health and popularity of the torrent in question, it may utilize your entire free bandwidth both uploading and downloading. Keep in mind that uploading at maximum will affect your download rate for any internet application regardless of it being the same torrent downloading or downloading via a website.

Should you throttle your upload to just below your maximum, your BitTorrent download will usually function at its best. Also, with available upload bandwidth, website browsing affection will usually be minimal because it does not require a lot of download bandwidth. However, it may still be affected if your BitTorrent client is fully maximising your available download bandwidth.

It is usually a simple case of "how much of the up/down pipe has BT used up". If it has not used it all, your web browsing will usually remain unaffected because you do not usually need large amounts of bandwidth for such a task.
Old 2004-05-21, 03:37   Link #14
Miracle04
Narutomania.com

Send a message via MSN to Miracle04 Send a message via Yahoo to Miracle04
well to me its an even thing i agree with both sides here cause both sides are right when loading up a page it loads up slow because of the BT dload is taking up some or most of the kiB but the page it self needs to take some from the dload and share it for the page but once it finishes loading the page it kind of gives it a bust so the BT dload goes up for a couple of seconds to make up for its loss kiB so in other words its kind of like a small lag like it would do in a game that ur playing on the net but the again its also the other way around its also good for the BT dload to give some KiB for something else like a small dload from well lets say a GBA rom cause the file is not to big and not to small so its just stuck in between cause its giving and recieving at the same time giving the BT dload an extra boost every few seconds so in other words try to find siter that dont take up so much kiB for the BT dload and try to dload files that arent to big to slow the BT dload so its pretty much a u cant be lazzy and i got to go to my friends house and by the time i get back its gonna be finished time of thing cause if u just leave it there with out the net to keep the BT dload stable then the kiB gets board and starts to fall asleep on u and it the kiB goes down to like 5 or 7 and that really makes it go longer so u pretty much gotta be there the hole time to keep the the dloading stable so like i said...............both are right laters
Miracle04 is offline   Reply With Quote