AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-04, 00:03   Link #1
Pacify

Something recent

Been offline last 6-12 months yaar, any must watch/highlights or just generally highly regarded anime out in that period.
Not including Haruhi of course
Old 2009-09-04, 00:12   Link #2
Elindil

Hmm i can give you a list of new anime but thats about it since your being pretty general with it. But i will try to give you two recs, Chrome Shelled Regios and Xam'd: Lost Memories are some pretty popular ones.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2009-09-04, 00:18   Link #3
Kafriel
Senior Guest

spring 2009
autumn 2009

That should do it, check out the reviews and comments if you're not too sure about any of them.

Last edited by Kafriel; 2009-09-04 at 00:36.
Old 2009-09-04, 00:23   Link #4
Pacify

thanks for the reply guys, think I started watching few episodes of Xamd, guess I'll see if I can finish it.
On dodgy, terribly expensive wireless net, so gotta be very picky with what I watch, So I was just wondering if there was any real stand out series which to use my horribly restrictive data limits on :O
Old 2009-09-04, 00:34   Link #5
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacify View Post
I was just wondering if there was any real stand out series which to use my horribly restrictive data limits on :O
Eden of the East
If you like yuri, Aoi Hana
Canaan is fairly good, and if you like shounen, check out Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (I might just skip the first episode as it is random filler and turned me off to show for quite some time)
Xam'd kind of goes nowhere.
Old 2009-09-04, 01:09   Link #6
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
This year:

Aoi Hana
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Spice and Wolf II
Canaan
Eden of the East
Old 2009-09-04, 01:18   Link #7
Pacify

thanks again, think I'll put Eden of the East and Aoi hana on top of the list so far, nice to see some new good yuri.
Are the episodes of FMA which have the same story as the original anime worth watching? Or would it be ok to skip to the point where the new series stays with the manga, and the old goes off into the wild
Old 2009-09-04, 02:07   Link #8
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacify View Post
Are the episodes of FMA which have the same story as the original anime worth watching? Or would it be ok to skip to the point where the new series stays with the manga, and the old goes off into the wild
Things move along a lot faster and there seemed to be a lot less pointless shounen time-filler crap, so I'd say they're worth watching. It refreshed everything for me as it had been a long time since I saw the original. I was surprised to find myself rather enjoying this series since I don't generally like shounen anymore.
Old 2009-09-04, 03:15   Link #9
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Things move along a lot faster and there seemed to be a lot less pointless shounen time-filler crap, so I'd say they're worth watching. It refreshed everything for me as it had been a long time since I saw the original. I was surprised to find myself rather enjoying this series since I don't generally like shounen anymore.
There is the issue that it is only rating 1% with its current episodes comparing to the 8%+ the original had. Plus its sales are way too low to be a financially secure investment. I.e. Don't be surprised if Bones stop.

If you're a loyalist to the original manga, you'll like Brotherhood. Personally I couldn't handle this version at all. The original was much better, for me.

But give it a try. You never know, might be your thing.
Old 2009-09-04, 03:39   Link #10
jedinat
フリーター

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
The original was much better, for me.
I can understand that you miss all the extra air time given to Armstrong's manly charms, but other than that... lol, yeah I'm no fan of the manga (could never get into it); the original was a favorite of mine way back when (way back in the days I still thought Naruto was a good idea) but it went far downhill in the ending portions; so far that I never considered watching it again even as Trigun got a 5th viewing. I'm not really sure how the original could be considered much better, beyond it being a fresh experience years ago.
Old 2009-09-04, 04:12   Link #11
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I can understand that you miss all the extra air time given to Armstrong's manly charms, but other than that... lol, yeah I'm no fan of the manga (could never get into it); the original was a favorite of mine way back when (way back in the days I still thought Naruto was a good idea) but it went far downhill in the ending portions; so far that I never considered watching it again even as Trigun got a 5th viewing. I'm not really sure how the original could be considered much better, beyond it being a fresh experience years ago.
I didn't like Armstrong. O_O Gah, mentioning him and manly...no freaking way.

Better animation, much better music, better character development, better mode of storytelling, the women actually looked like women.

Like I said, each to their own. My main point was, it has financially backfired for Bones so far. And if it continues to do so, chances are it will be dropped.

On topic, before I forget, K-ON! is a notable series of 2009 I guess.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2009-09-04 at 04:40.
Old 2009-09-04, 17:10   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I would say Cross Game is the most notable of the recent anime.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is also quite good and while I agree that the beginning is weaker compared to the first anime adaptation, the ending is much, much better. Already we've gotten to some of the awesomeness of the manga storyline (Mustang vs Lust = EPIC!). Animation quality is slightly poorer, but several characters are going to get some good character development- including Hoenhiem, Winry, Hawkeye, and Roy Mustang.

You can skip ahead if you want, although you might want to watch the early episodes for some minor details. If you do decide to skip ahead I recommend starting with episode 8. Although the real divergence from the first anime doesn't occur until episodes 13-14, starting at episode 8 will ease you in- and you might notice one major difference in how episode 8 goes (it covers the Laboratory 5 incident).

Spoiler for The Major differences in the storyline by that point:

Others that are lower level but you might find worth watching:

K-On
Chrome Shelled Regios
Hayate The Combat Butler S2
Old 2009-09-04, 22:42   Link #13
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Bakemonogatari - fair good show consisting of
Spoiler for spoiler:

I second Eden of the East and Canaan.
Old 2009-09-05, 01:44   Link #14
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think Eden and Bakemonogotari are the two most overrated series of the year by far, but they're both extremely popular so clearly lots of folks disagree. For my money Cross Game and Natsu no Arashi are probably the two best series of a generally craptacular year so far. Don't be thrown by the baseball element of CG - the sport is there, but the anime is much more about the characters and they're memorable ones. It's direct, smart and completely unpretentious. NnA is a wacky, Gainax-esque SHAFT series with some sci-fi elements and innocent romance, and the SHAFT weirdness toned down to the point where it totally works. It's got a surprising amount of heart, too.
Old 2009-09-05, 02:26   Link #15
Pacify

Cross game and Natsu no Arashi certainly look interesting, rather a fan of Shaft so should be interesting to see what happens if they tone down some of their oddities.

Guess I'll just have to give FMA a go, think the rehashing of content covered by the original would have to be either very different, or exceptionally good for me to bother with it. Surprised to hear the animation is poor, would have thought it would have been first class, ohwell...

Haha, loli vampire can be good i guess ^_^
Old 2009-09-05, 02:35   Link #16
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
The only recent anime I find exceptional are Cross Game and Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou, and the latter is a sequel to an anime from last summer so....Eden of the East has gotten a lot of talk, but I personally don't think it's that great.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-09-05, 09:20   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Kemono no Souja Erin, based on another novel by the author of Moribito, has been a pretty solid show for over thirty episodes now. It's a show for older children and their families, though, so it might not be up your alley. It's just been picked up by Crunchyroll where the first couple episodes are now available.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-09-05 at 11:15.
Old 2009-09-05, 10:30   Link #18
Aqua Knight

Who come no one mentioned Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~??
Old 2009-09-05, 13:06   Link #19
Renya

Bakemonogatari, K-ON, Eden Of The East are animes i would suggest you should tuck in to first.
Followed by FMA(first part might be boring to you if you have watched the first series but its great later on).
Chrome Shelled Regios as well would be another to watch.
Haruhi might be another but dunno if u can take the endless eight lol
Old 2009-09-06, 03:18   Link #20
Pacify

Alas I had Haruhi up to episode 10 before I read about the endless eight, or else I would have saved the effort for something else.

Hmmn, ok so I guess I'll try K-On and Eden of the East first, follow up by Bakemonogatari and Cross game.

God I hate having to ration so much, juggling between anime/manga and music is too tough.
Closed Thread