AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 104 53.61%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 28.35%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 8.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 4.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.58%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.03%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.03%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-12, 00:16   Link #201
OkamiNoKaze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
That's an insult to haruhi comparing her to Uwe Boll, she directs circles around him, It was probably one of his movies that inspired her.
__________________
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 00:18   Link #202
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
They give one clue for the eagle-eyed that this scene takes place before the rest of Sighs, and before BLR, even.

Spoiler for Hint, pay attention to the clubroom shot while Kyon and Haruhi are talking:
Also the fact that Kyon and Haruhi are wearing the exact same clothes as they did at the end of Melanchol VI (if you assume that anime characters never wear the same outfit twice).
If you're really bothered to, go watch the last scene Melancholy VI again and compare it with the end of this episode, you'll notice its the exact same people and cars that go pass.


On a sidenote, the part where Nagato is vampire biting Mikuru-chan, it makes me wonder if Kyoani just read that on a few forums and thought "hey that's a good-ass idea, lets use it"
__________________

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 00:24   Link #203
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
I don't even buy for a second the idea that there was some sort of artistic merit behind this like what you call "anti-fanservice", mostly because it just makes no sense. So many people act like Kyoani is this great artistic visionary studio with the attitude of Andy Warhol that will change the face of anime for the better, but I think it comes down to them just liking to make money and appeal to moe fans. Moe being what they use to sell their shows and associated merchandise. I've said before that I think they have little to no ambition beyond the basic profit motive, and until I see something that leads me to think otherwise I'm going to have to stick to that position.
The reason it "makes no sense" to you is because you still believe KyoAni is about "moe and make money", when Endless Eight isn't like that. So since EE isn't about moe or making money, doesn't that make your views incorrect?
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 00:30   Link #204
Jenni
B-baka!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona
Age: 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It actually creeps me out a bit just how completely unwilling many people are to even consider the possibility that KyoAni simply made a mistake... as though the concept itself is somehow unfathomable. I've been a part of a lot of fandoms, and this is the only one where I've seen people refuse to even consider that the entertainment provider can make a mistake.

I've seen diehard Trekkies, hardcore Star Wars fans, huge Spiderman fans, major RPG fans, lifelong pro wrestling fans, etc... , etc... all be open to less-than-flattering views of the entertainment provider. In fact, many of them will put forward those views themselves.

What makes anime in general, and KyoAni in particular, so different? That's what I'm still trying to figure out.
While I agree with the general sentiment, I've seen diehard Star Wars and Star Trek apologists who attempt to offer defenses of the weakest aspect of their franchises (things like Jar-Jar and Enterprise). The do-no-wrong attitude is not exclusive to Kyoani fans, but it certainly seems to be a bit more prevalent among them.
__________________

Come check out Project Haruhi!
Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 00:33   Link #205
Child_of_Sierra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philippines
Quote:
What I'd like to hear you and some others say is "Yes, KyoAni is not infallible".

Seriously.

It actually creeps me out a bit just how completely unwilling many people are to even consider the possibility that KyoAni simply made a mistake... as though the concept itself is somehow unfathomable. I've been a part of a lot of fandoms, and this is the only one where I've seen people refuse to even consider that the entertainment provider can make a mistake.

I've seen diehard Trekkies, hardcore Star Wars fans, huge Spiderman fans, major RPG fans, lifelong pro wrestling fans, etc... , etc... all be open to less-than-flattering views of the entertainment provider. In fact, many of them will put forward those views themselves.

What makes anime in general, and KyoAni in particular, so different? That's what I'm still trying to figure out.
The problem with your plea is that it centers on the assumption that E8 is a "mistake" when considered from all points of view.

Given how large the fanbase for the show it is entirely possible that a portion (albiet small) of the audience would not have a problem with this gimmick and see it in a positive light. Why would they blame a studio for a slight they never saw?

Going further, just because they happen to be fans of Haruhi (that happen to made by KyoAni) doesn't mean that all fans of Haruhi view the creators as infallible. There are other posts in this subforum that decry E8 and they had had no reservation to post their discontent. What you have is a mixed fanbase with as many interpretations and tolerances that one would expect from those other fandoms you cited.
__________________

Last edited by Child_of_Sierra; 2009-09-12 at 00:50.
Child_of_Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 02:23   Link #206
Apostle_Kyon
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4as View Post
Koizumi's rambling about other organizationas and Tsuruya's lurking in the shadow got me thinking that she is maybe a part of one.


IMO, there is nothing to atone for.
Endless Eight is like Spaghetti westerns back in the day - they were considered to be retarded but now they are classics of Cinematography.

Also

I remember someone saying people will hate Haruhi after Sighs but that arc made me fell for her all over again :S
Tsuruya..

Apostle_Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 03:39   Link #207
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
And now I just imagined Mori dressed as ninja entering in the clubroom by the window and working in the computer without waking Kyon up (he was sleeping over the keyboard).
Speaking of Mori-san in different outfits, I'm actually rather excited about seeing vol.7 animated.
Because...
Spoiler:
__________________

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 04:47   Link #208
EGFontanilla
Charming General Person
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Age: 18
So this was the last episode for this season? What about the disappearance? Hmm ...

Anyways, does anyone wanna make an updated chronological order now that the season is over? I feel like watching the series again, it'll at least keep me alive before September ends, god I hate school.
EGFontanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 04:48   Link #209
SamKajam
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Wow... I gotta say that is episode was the best one in the series for me. For one, the cat was awesome , and more importantly, it allowed us to peek into the psyche of the 3 people who are using kyon to control haruhi, which really makes this anime stand out. Finally, the scene with yuki was trippy as hell!

Spoiler for character psyches:


Anyway, crackpot theory time!

Spoiler for just in case:


I was also rewatching episode 00 again and noticed some things.

Spoiler for episode 00:


Gahh lots of text here, sorry bout that. But these are observations that I've made. I've left out other theories which are not mine, as to not recycle the same old stuff. That said, if these observations have all ready been made, then my bad.
SamKajam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 04:54   Link #210
Airman8
Helvetica Standard
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
How does one atone for Endless Eight? Make the worst novel epic. Done and done.
so well said. But you know, it's not just Sighs that they made epic. If you think of the way they developed this whole story up until now, it's quite amazing. They've gone as far as volume 6 and presented it all in a way that creates a narrative of its own.

Triple R said to me previously that K and K are expert trolls, and politicians. Well, I do agree with that. But seeing this episode unfold the way it did, I must add that underneath all this they are great story tellers.

Whoever is doing this is really thinking about the narrative. They've managed to combine the slice-of-life and the sci-fi intrigue so well. Ending with the prologue is another splash of creativity that makes me think whatever budgeting constraints and corporate considerations need to be made, they're taking the meaning of this series to heart. Maybe I'm being too mushy here, but considering we're in an economic crisis I think they've done a hell of a job recreating this series after three years. I really do think there's a level of care going into this that surpasses many other stories.

On that note, the future is uncertain. They've done so well weaving this narrative that they could stop it here and leave the fans with so many unanswered questions. Or, they could keep going, having set up intrigues and inter-character conflicts left unexplored for now.

I don't know how it will go, but if this is where it ends I must encourage everyone to read the novels. The story really delivers. I spent the summer reading it (on the beach I might add!) and enjoyed it all.
Airman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 04:57   Link #211
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The reason it "makes no sense" to you is because you still believe KyoAni is about "moe and make money", when Endless Eight isn't like that. So since EE isn't about moe or making money, doesn't that make your views incorrect?
...EE isn't about moe? Every episode features Haruhi, Mikuru, and Yuki in bathing suits, and in colorful cute yukatas.

The moe aspect is about the only aspect that I actually liked in each and every EE iteration.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
While I agree with the general sentiment, I've seen diehard Star Wars and Star Trek apologists who attempt to offer defenses of the weakest aspect of their franchises (things like Jar-Jar and Enterprise). The do-no-wrong attitude is not exclusive to Kyoani fans, but it certainly seems to be a bit more prevalent among them.
Ok, in fairness, what you're writing here may be closer to the truth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
The problem with your plea is that it centers on the assumption that E8 is a "mistake" when considered from all points of view.
I'm not looking for people to call the eight-episode handling of E8, in particular, a mistake.

I'm just looking for people to admit that KyoAni is not infallible. That's it. Nothing else. I'm not going read a criticism of E8 into that. You can believe that E8 was not a mistake, but that KoyAni is fallible.

... Frankly, if somebody can't admit that KyoAni is fallible, then that obviously throws his or her entire defense of KyoAni on any matter into question. Because such a lack of an admittance shows that he or she will try to rationalize anything that KyoAni does.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 05:02   Link #212
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: August 17th - 31st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Which part of "when you only saw the animes - and when you wish to keep it that way" escaped you ?
Just giving my opinion on the matter. I have no idea why you'd want to deprive yourself of a decent light read. It really is sad that people like you ignore the source materials which opens up a new appreciation for the series and its characters.

It's so sad that you just mention the words "read" or "book" and people run for the hills...
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 05:05   Link #213
EGFontanilla
Charming General Person
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canada
Age: 18
So, will there even be a season 2?

It'd be really funny if the name "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" had nothing to do with the actual novel, and that it just implies the end of the anime series. x)
EGFontanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 05:07   Link #214
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
...EE isn't about moe? Every episode features Haruhi, Mikuru, and Yuki in bathing suits, and in colorful cute yukatas.

The moe aspect is about the only aspect that I actually liked in each and every EE iteration.
Yukatas and Swimsuits are NOT moe. They are fanservice. Cowering Mikuru? Yes, that's moe. Moe is when you obtained a mysterious nurture instict about a character. Being cute or sexy have nothing to do with it. If swimsuits are moe, then nearly EVERYTHING is moe these days.

Quote:
I'm not looking for people to call the eight-episode handling of E8, in particular, a mistake.

I'm just looking for people to admit that KyoAni is not infallible. That's it. Nothing else. I'm not going read a criticism of E8 into that. You can believe that E8 was not a mistake, but that KoyAni is fallible.
I never said KyoAni is infallible. EVER. But since you are claiming I am a "fanboy" who can't see anything wrong, and since I was only talking about Endless Eight, what ELSE could you be criticizing?

If I believe KyoAni is infallible, I would have claimed everyone should love Endless Eight. I am not. I am saying just because Endless Eight is not designed to please fans, doesn't make it a failure. It did what it was designed to do, to the detriment of the DVD sales. The fact that those who oppose Episode Eight simultaneously claimed EE was created to improve DVD sales, yet also claim the DVD sales would drop, showed how paradoxical the comments are.

A perfect KyoAni would have made an Endless Eight everyone would be happy with. But they are only human, so they made EE the way THEY are happy with, and no one else.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 05:10   Link #215
Airman8
Helvetica Standard
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Age: 31
I still think they'll keep going, but that's because I want to think that way. I like this series. But from a business point of view, why not. They've put effort into this. People love it. It's a good call!
Airman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 05:23   Link #216
Kogetsu Shirogane
Elemental Tarot User
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sefiro Fiore
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm not looking for people to call the eight-episode handling of E8, in particular, a mistake.
Oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It actually creeps me out a bit just how completely unwilling many people are to even consider the possibility that KyoAni simply made a mistake
Seems you've contradicted yourself.
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... well... at least it's written the same...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 05:43   Link #217
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
SamKajam -

Spoiler for character psyches:




Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Yukatas and Swimsuits are NOT moe. They are fanservice.
I really could dispute that, as the use of the term 'moe' isn't quite as strict as I think that you hold it to be. I've frequently seen other anime fans describe moe as "more kawaii than kawaii" (i.e. more cute than cute; cuteness to the extreme).

However... I'm not going to dispute it, because calling it fanservice is even more interesting than calling it moe. If it's fanservice, then that means that a significant part of each and every E8 iteration is fanservice. Kind of flies right in the face of the "E8 is anti-fanservice" idea, don't you think?

One theory that I continue to have concerning E8 is that KyoAni simply likes doing cutsey slice-of-life stuff, and E8 is as cutsey slice-of-life as Haruhi ever gets, so...


Quote:
I never said KyoAni is infallible. EVER. But since you are claiming I am a "fanboy" who can't see anything wrong, and since I was only talking about Endless Eight, what ELSE could you be criticizing?

If I believe KyoAni is infallible, I would have claimed everyone should love Endless Eight. I am not. I am saying just because Endless Eight is not designed to please fans, doesn't make it a failure.
Why are you presenting this theory - and that's all it is, a theory - as though it was indisputable fact?

Anyway... KyoAni is in the entertainment business. Them deliberately trying to bore their fans, as you appear to argue, is an automatic failure.


Quote:
It did what it was designed to do, to the detriment of the DVD sales.
You say this before we even know what the DVD sales will be like.

Still, thanks for basically saying that KyoAni is fallible. I don't think that you're a "fanboy", Vallen... which is precisely why I was befuddled by your seeming refusal to even consider that they may have made a mistake here.


Quote:
The fact that those who oppose Episode Eight simultaneously claimed EE was created to improve DVD sales, yet also claim the DVD sales would drop, showed how paradoxical the comments are.
... I don't recall seeing anybody who opposes E8 saying that it was created to improve DVD sales. The only person I've seen even come close to making such an argument is Relentlessflame, and he's been a pretty strong E8 defender, imo.

Kaioshin has stated that E8 won't hurt DVD sales, but I don't think that he's ever said that they'll actually improve DVD sales. I'm open to be corrected by him on the matter, though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Oh?



Seems you've contradicted yourself.
No, I never. You can consider that E8 made a mistake with out arriving at that conclusion. It's two different things, Kogetsu. Some people aren't even considering the possibility that E8 may have been a mistake.
__________________

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-09-12 at 05:57.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 05:58   Link #218
Kogetsu Shirogane
Elemental Tarot User
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sefiro Fiore
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, I never. You can consider that E8 made a mistake with out arriving at that conclusion. It's two different things, Kogetsu. Some people aren't even considering the possibility that E8 may have been a mistake.
You've caused a bit of a problem with this response.

(Forgive my altering your quote, but I believe it is required for a demonstration.)

Quote:
You can consider that E8 wasn't a mistake with out arriving at that conclusion. It's two different things. Some people aren't even considering the possibility that E8 may not have been a mistake.
Do you see the problem? Both sides are guilty of refusing to acknowledge the possibility their views are wrong, not just the supporters of the episodes. This is not exclusive to just one side, or even this particular discussion.
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... well... at least it's written the same...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 06:03   Link #219
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
You've caused a bit of a problem with this response.

(Forgive my altering your quote, but I believe it is required for a demonstration.)



Do you see the problem? Both sides are guilty of refusing to acknowledge the possibility their views are wrong, not just the supporters of the episodes. This is not exclusive to just one side, or even this particular discussion.
Ok... it's possible that KyoAni's goal with E8 was an artistic one, and that the main thrust behind it was getting fans to identify with Yuki Nagato more... and that they tried to make it deliberately boring in order to achieve that goal. The theory doesn't fit perfectly, imo, but it is possible, I'll admit.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 06:03   Link #220
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
However... I'm not going to dispute it, because calling it fanservice is even more interesting than calling it moe. If it's fanservice, then that means that a significant part of each and every E8 iteration is fanservice. Kind of flies right in the face of the "E8 is anti-fanservice" idea, don't you think?
You can have fanservice and anti-fanservice in the same show, at the same time. They are not matter/anti-matter; they can co-exist. The swim suits are fanservice, the repeated plot is anti-fanservice.

Quote:
Still, thanks for basically saying that KyoAni is fallible. I don't think that you're a "fanboy", Vallen... which is precisely why I was befuddled by your seeming refusal to even consider that they may have made a mistake here.
I have considered. And decided that it takes too much effort to be a mistake. It is not easy to make Endless Eight, there is pressure from above all the time to make "safe" shows, shows that are the same as every other show. To be able to make a show like Endless Eight is nearly a miracle in itself.

And why have you refused to even consider they might NOT have made a mistake? This goes both ways.

Keep in mind, anime is a low paying industry. People go into anime the same reason they go into making video games; because they love it. If the crew wanted money, and only money, they wouldn't be in the business. I find it baffling that so many in this very thread refused to believe there is a SHRED of artistic integrity in Kyoto Animation, as if they are all blood sucking ghouls or something.

At no time have I claimed you need to like EE. Neither do I think you should buy the DVDs if you don't want to. Hell, KyoAni have numbered the DVD boxes in such a way that you don't need to buy Endless Eight to fill the gaps. But I reject the idea that Endless Eight could have existed without someone in the team knowing this isn't going to be profitable, it's just that they decided to follow through anyway because that's what they wanted.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.