AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Bakemonogatari - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 20 14.18%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 17.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 17.02%
7 out of 10 : Good 28 19.86%
6 out of 10 : Average 14 9.93%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 17 12.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 8 5.67%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.71%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.71%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.13%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-16, 10:59   Link #241
mhan00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyman View Post
From what I got from the episode, it was a serious curse. If the boy who planted it was able to pull off the curse correctly, Nadeko would've died. So if the boy knew all of this and still went through the curse, it is, in a sense, just for him to die. That is assuming that Nadeko wouldn't have been able to do the countermeasures herself.

And it wasn't just Nadeko messing up the countermeasures that triggered the curse; it was also because Shinobu's presence. If Shinobu hadn't lured in a bunch of other spirits, Nadeko messing up the countermeasure wouldn't have mattered.
given the fact that it doesn't seem that supernatural things are widely known about in this anime's universe, however, there was no reason for the kid to think that the curse would have any effect at all. saying it was just for him to die because he did something childish is like saying one of us would deserve to die if we said something like "damn you" to someone who cut us off in traffic. we don't actually mean any harm by saying it, but if a vampire happened to corrupt the area we were in when we said it and it became a valid curse, would it be just for us to die then?

in my opinion, no. it would just be tragic that someone would have to pay so high a price for something so petty just because of completely unusual circumstances.
mhan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 11:02   Link #242
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhan00 View Post
agreed. you summed it up a hell of a lot better than i did. the kid got screwed; it surely wasn't a worthy impulse of his to do the curse, but no way did he mean any actual harm by it.
Well, see, they don't go into details, so you could interpret it either way: as a simple childish reaction gone wrong or as real malicious intent.

For one thing, we don't know how complicated or involved placing the curse was. If it was just reading out an incantation or something (as you seem to assume), then yeah, that was probably just the impulse of a moment, but if there was a whole ritual involved, which required a decent amount of preparation, then that seems like it'd have been pretty darn deliberate, like the kid seriously wanted her to be squeezed to death by a snake. Otherwise he wouldn't have gone through all the trouble.

I do agree, though, that either way the kid doesn't deserve to die, 'cause death is pretty harsh, permanent, and he's just a kid. But it's arguable whether he really, really meant anything bad by placing the curse.
__________________
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 11:04   Link #243
Reekon
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I don't see how that could be the case. I am only mentioning what has already been stated in the anime and never brought any mention of any future events with my comments.

Regardless, I am not gonna keep digging on this, let next episode clear our doubts and be done with it.
No, no, no. You got it wrong. I was thinking that I was spoiling it for you, coz if I didn't tell you, then you would have thought that the next ones will be prequel stuff.

But yeah, let's not dig further into this. Just wanter to clarify that it wasn't you, but more of my fault. Pis! ;-)
Reekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 11:04   Link #244
Zetsubo
著述遮断
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
What's your point?
1. Episode 3. See Hitagi reference to capacity.

2. See below post by ac195. IT is one of the first things most men think of before pressing the flee button. "she must be a tramp !!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Well, crotch rot is scary isn't it?
Yeah, Hitagi was worried about Araragi's "non-virgin hooker germs".

Love the nested irony in there
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 11:22   Link #245
Zetsubo
著述遮断
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhan00 View Post
agreed. but no way did he mean any actual harm by it.
How do you know thats true ?

He had spite in him.

Spite by its very definition means you deeply wish for harm to come to a person for not doing as you wanted.

It is the action of ill will and vengeance.

Yes he meant harm.

Just like Kanbaru's wish to run faster... or to simply be closer to Senjougahara.

Did she mean harm by it ?

Yes.

Ignorance of the full consequence of your actions, when done in spite, is a very wicked thing.

I got stabbed by a pencil in Kindergarten as a child.

Did my child assailant mean it. ?

Yes.

Did she expect blood to come out and the pencil to break in my arm?

No.

What did I do to "deserve it" I pinched her on the butt.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 11:48   Link #246
mhan00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
How do you know thats true ?

He had spite in him.

Spite by its very definition means you deeply wish for harm to come to a person for not doing as you wanted.

It is the action of ill will and vengeance.

Yes he meant harm.

Just like Kanbaru's wish to run faster... or to simply be closer to Senjougahara.

Did she mean harm by it ?

Yes.

Ignorance of the full consequence of your actions, when done in spite, is a very wicked thing.

I got stabbed by a pencil in Kindergarten as a child.

Did my child assailant mean it. ?

Yes.

Did she expect blood to come out and the pencil to break in my arm?

No.

What did I do to "deserve it" I pinched her on the butt.
he didn't stab her. he didn't go out after her and try to hurt her. he carried out a curse/ceremony/whatever that no one had any expectations whatsoever to actually work. it's like girls doing a ouiji board or doing the "bloody mary" thing at night in the mirror at slumber parties. they're not actually expecting an apparition to appear and kill them. i would argue that the kid had no reasonable expectation that anything would come of his curse, unlike if he went out and actually hit/stabbed her. he's not in kindergarten, he's what, probably 12-14 years old? he's old enough to understand that there is a difference between actually causing harm by stabbing someone with a pencil versus casting a pretend curse on someone. that circumstances happened to conspire to make his curse an actual curse was not his fault.

it's like someone taking a picture of their boss or whatever and putting it on a dartboard so they can throw stuff at it. sure, there might be resentment and maybe some spite, but no actual harm is meant by it. given all the evidence we have of the bakemonogatari world, it seems like it is supposed to be like our world, except with the occasional supernatural phenomena that only a few people ever experience/learn about. the kid had no expectation or reason to believe that his curse would work; imo he saw it as a relatively harmless way to relieve the resentment and hurt he felt by her rejection. certainly nothing that would merit getting crushed to death by a supernatural snake.
mhan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 11:50   Link #247
mhan00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
as to the topic itself, i rated the episode a solid 8. i enjoyed it quite a bit, even with all the deficiencies in animation. the dialog was more than enough to inform me of what was happening, even if i didn't actually see it happening, and it kept me interested. plus, the girl's hair alone was worth rating the episode a 10.
mhan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 11:51   Link #248
zato_1one
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I wonder if Araragi didn't keep Shinobu around. Will the effect on the shrine be vanished?
__________________
zato_1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 11:53   Link #249
Lummie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhan00 View Post
as to the topic itself, i rated the episode a solid 8. i enjoyed it quite a bit, even with all the deficiencies in animation. the dialog was more than enough to inform me of what was happening, even if i didn't actually see it happening, and it kept me interested. plus, the girl's hair alone was worth rating the episode a 10.
Hair!?......Worth a 10?
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 11:55   Link #250
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhan00 View Post
he didn't stab her. he didn't go out after her and try to hurt her. he carried out a curse/ceremony/whatever that no one had any expectations whatsoever to actually work. it's like girls doing a ouiji board or doing the "bloody mary" thing at night in the mirror at slumber parties. they're not actually expecting an apparition to appear and kill them.
You're making some extreme assumptions there based on how *you* might believe things. Many people believe quite strongly in things you or the people around you don't. Do you believe in communion actually turning wine and crackers into blood and flesh? Some people do. Do you believe there's an entity named Satan plotting the ruin of mankind? Some people do. Do you believe thinking hateful thoughts about someone can actually do them harm? Some people do.

Folk magic (related to Shinto) still has strong meaning in Japan... hell, many treat the "blood type"==compatibility thing quite seriously.

We simply lack data to know what the perpetrator of the curse thought - so arguing over it is silly. In life, people often take the consequences for ill-thought-out or careless acts.... so it goes.

Araragi learned a "truth" in this episode that you can't save *everyone* - all you can do sometimes is focus on those you have connections with.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 11:55   Link #251
mhan00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
Hair!?......Worth a 10?
it's like she has dreadlocks, but they're smooth! definite 10.
mhan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 12:17   Link #252
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
I wonder if Araragi didn't keep Shinobu around. Will the effect on the shrine be vanished?
It probably wouldn't since she is almost powerless right now. I would think the reason the Kaii are active is because of her presence when she was at her full power.
__________________
そうかそういうことだったんだな、謎が解けたぞ、神原のエロの師匠はお前だったんだな!
-阿良々木暦

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 12:25   Link #253
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Something else has just occurred to me, a follow-on thought based on my assumption that Araragi is keeping Shinobu alive by allowing her to feed on his blood.

Given Araragi's deep-seated insecurity about his self-worth, there is a possibility that he actually enjoys being an half-oddity. It's what makes him special, in the same way being an Eva pilot is what gives Shinji Ikari his sense of self-esteem. For all we know, deep down inside, Araragi actually enjoys playing hero.

In the same way that Kanbaru lied to herself about what she truly wished for, there's a chance that Araragi likes being a half-vampire more than he is willing to admit.
Kindness is an act of self satisfaction after all which is just as selfish, so I'm sure you are making a very good point about self-worth. The most obvious reason why he won't give up his half-vampire status because he can't. Shinobu dies if he stops feeding his blood. Then again, the obvious reasoning never explains the whole truth in these stories which is one of the attractive qualities about this show. The other reason is the first-contact he makes with Oshino's potential customers which is often excruciating for him physically. Senjougahara stapled him from the inside of his mouth. Hachikuji bit him. Kanbaru nearly killed him twice. Sengoku's cursed snake bit him and relocated his bone structure. Araragi most certainly can use the quick healing ability cause his desire to help people never seem to resonate with those very people who he wants to help at first-contact.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 13:49   Link #254
Zetsubo
著述遮断
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
@Mahn00

The boy as well as the other girl wanted Nadeko to hurt because of her love rejection.


Thus they chose to curse her.

Now, they did not choose an "equivalent exchange" curse.

They choose a curse that would kill her.

Not a curse that would ruin her love life for all of middle school.

A curse that would kill her.

That is a strong degree of MAILICE

Reason it out.

Nadeko rejected the boy because she was in love with someone else. She had no malice.

They cursed her because they wanted unfair revenge... to hurt her more in return. They had Malice.

Whether they expected the curse to work or not it is quite frankly irrelevant.

What is relevant is the steps they took toward enacting MALICE and the degree of mailice.

In kindergarten the little girl wanted to hurt me more than my butt pinch did her. She then chose to stick me with a pencil instead of pinching me back.

However she underestimated her malice against me and instead broke off an inch of wood and led in my body.

Is that "equivalent exchange" ?

Is that fair and reasonable "payback?"

Nadeko's ex-friends: they both overreacted with malice and someone paid for it.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 13:57   Link #255
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 37
I thought it was clearly stated in the episode that the curse wasn't anything serious to begin with, and only the compounded effect of Sengoku's attempts to get rid of it and Shinobu's presence made it that bad? That being the case...
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 14:17   Link #256
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I thought it was clearly stated in the episode that the curse wasn't anything serious to begin with, and only the compounded effect of Sengoku's attempts to get rid of it and Shinobu's presence made it that bad? That being the case...
Araragi also said Sengoku's attempt to get rid of the curse in that shrine what magnified her problem. The curse manifested in that fasion because the shrine was attracting all those oddities since Shinobu's arrival in the town. A different location might have helped her avoid all these.

Btw, Sengoku's portrayal in the show is a very cute, delicate girl who pleaded for Koyomi Onichan's help. And yet she was holding down live snake and were eviscerating/cutting them to pieces and then, were pinning those pieces on the trees. Not so cute now, is she? Desperation can turn the most cutesy of thing the deadliest of being. I've been watching the Discovery Channel's, when animals attack.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 14:19   Link #257
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
The curse was NOT serious. It was not a death curse. From the sound of it, it caused discomfort or pain without lasting physical damage. It only got bad after Nadeko started killing snakes to cure it. Nadeko was the one who made it serious. Before that, regardless of the whether or not they believed it would work, it was relatively harmless, probably closer to a prank than an attack.

Anyway, people make mistakes, and sometimes they have bad consequences. That makes sense. Stuff happens. But that doesn't mean they deserve the consequences, and in this case it seems like they didn't. That's why I said it's not justice, it's just a tragic accident.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 14:36   Link #258
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Anyway, people make mistakes, and sometimes they have bad consequences. That makes sense. Stuff happens. But that doesn't mean they deserve the consequences, and in this case it seems like they didn't. That's why I said it's not justice, it's just a tragic accident.
Makes you wonder....

When Nadeko returns to school, how is she going to handle the whole issue of seeing that boy slowly twist in pain because of the curse. >_<
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 14:40   Link #259
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Makes you wonder....

When Nadeko returns to school, how is she going to handle the whole issue of seeing that boy slowly twist in pain because of the curse. >_<
Ah, but you've missed out on the twist... Sengoku should not see that boy again for he will be killed by that snake. That anguish Araragi was expressing for not able to stop that snake was for that very reason. He wanted to save that boy also.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 14:46   Link #260
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Ah, but you've missed out on the twist... Sengoku should not see that boy again for he will be killed by that snake. That anguish Araragi was expressing for not able to stop that snake was for that very reason. He wanted to save that boy also.
A quick death then? figured the slow process of the curse would actually repeat on the boy. Then again, the snake failed the first time and the curse itself could also change when it comes to returning to the one that summoned it.

Now, where's Meme when you need a bit more info on this sort of things.

Either way, seeing an empty seat in her classroom could be just as shocking, specially for someone like Nadeko.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.