AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-06-10, 02:15   Link #1301
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
Nothing happens in Umi no Misaki.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 02:39   Link #1302
ZODDGUTS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Nothing happens in Umi no Misaki.
Well he said something in between Tu love ru and Kimi no Iru Machi. There's no annoying/forced drama in Umi no Misaki and it's a harem. A good choice. Stuff does happen. The series has great character development/romance between the girls and the lead, as well in getting to know the girls well including their past.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 05:08   Link #1303
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Spoiler for 38:
Spoiler:
__________________
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 15:40   Link #1304
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
Spoiler for 38:
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 15:27   Link #1305
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Age: 28
Chapter 37 is scanlated...
Spoiler for 37:

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2010-06-14 at 14:40. Reason: =P
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 17:08   Link #1306
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
I don't see the hype. Nothing plot wise has occurred in a while and it seems like they're just in the same position all the time. Nothing heavy will happen until he chooses a girl and after that the manga will end anyway. Only watching him interact with a different girl every chapter isn't interesting to me.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 17:16   Link #1307
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
If character interactions don't appeal to you, then you must not like the majority of good stories in existence, real or fictional. Character interaction is part of what makes a story interesting. You can't just have the beginning, some events, then the end without a character like Utsumi interacting with the girls around him. That's just a shallow narration.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 17:20   Link #1308
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
I'm talking about Umi no Misaki. And I mean a story with only character interaction in it, which is what Umi no Misaki is. The main character interacts with one girl each chapter and virtually no kind of drama really occurs between them other than the usual angst from the girls about who he will choose. It's just the same thing each chapter to me and its gotten a tad boring after awhile.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 00:07   Link #1309
Darknemo2000
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lithuania
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
I'm talking about Umi no Misaki. And I mean a story with only character interaction in it, which is what Umi no Misaki is. The main character interacts with one girl each chapter and virtually no kind of drama really occurs between them other than the usual angst from the girls about who he will choose. It's just the same thing each chapter to me and its gotten a tad boring after awhile.
So? I and many others enjoy it. Too much angst actually make the series look like a cheap soap opera (GE was suffering from it for a while but luckily the author finally grasped the meaning behind the words ' to catch a break' and now it is sailing more smoothly.

Of course if you overdose the non-drama moments you can turn the series into something like Pastel, which was a very fine series and still is fine if you want to see everyday life of a couple, but without conflicts and with such length it becomes tedious.

But Umi No Misaki is very fine manga. I think you are on the minority side when you say its not good because the majority of comments regarding it have been positive. I myself prefer it over kNIM and GE anytime, yeah it doesnt have major drama's but when you have too much, forcibly stretched drama's like in KNIM, having no major drama can be a good point. Assuming that the author won't make it endless like Pastel.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 02:58   Link #1310
mammothb
ここここのバカ犬!!!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Singapore
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to mammothb
awwww finally things are starting to look good for the pair. D
__________________
mammothb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 03:27   Link #1311
ZeKeR
somewhere in the armory
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Armacham Replica Training center
and can we delve deeper into yuki nao?
ZeKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 05:24   Link #1312
Dark Mage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I too love Umi no Misaki. And I think every romance fan should give it a go.

Mangas like Pastel are what makes me bored. I had to eventually drop Pastel because it was really really boring, and much too slow paced. It was good until Mugi and her started going out, but after that it got really tedious

I loved the chapter 37 of GE. It was so good, Shou really looks good with Utsumi. They might not have as mush chemistry as Yuki and Utsumi but they are still good. I think GE is the only other manga except Umi No Misaki where I would have no problems accepting any of the girls as winners even if she isnt my preferred girl as all the girls are so likeable.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 14:23   Link #1313
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
So? I and many others enjoy it. Too much angst actually make the series look like a cheap soap opera (GE was suffering from it for a while but luckily the author finally grasped the meaning behind the words ' to catch a break' and now it is sailing more smoothly.

Of course if you overdose the non-drama moments you can turn the series into something like Pastel, which was a very fine series and still is fine if you want to see everyday life of a couple, but without conflicts and with such length it becomes tedious.

But Umi No Misaki is very fine manga. I think you are on the minority side when you say its not good because the majority of comments regarding it have been positive. I myself prefer it over kNIM and GE anytime, yeah it doesnt have major drama's but when you have too much, forcibly stretched drama's like in KNIM, having no major drama can be a good point. Assuming that the author won't make it endless like Pastel.
I never said it wasn't good for some people, I said I didn't find it appealing because nothing ever really happens to advance the plot. In that sense it has become like Pastel and it doesn't seem like it's changing anytime soon. As far as GE is concerned, I like it better because it's more of an emotional roller coaster with actual plot advancement. Personally, I'd take drama and development over laid back interactions most of the time. KNIM is another discussion since the entire drama of the current plot is pretty stupid in the first place.

Anyway, I hope we get past this transitional period in GE soon and get back to the main course. I like the set up that SK has created in chapters 37 and 38 with all three girls. Yuki and Utsumi's relationship is pretty ambiguous; they're more than friends but won't admit it out loud. Even though Utsumi doesn't realize it, Shou is slowly falling head over heels for the "new and reliable" him, and Oonuma is finally considering a sexy attack to get him to notice her. The best thing about Utsumi's harem though is that Shou and Oonuma are completely unaware of each other and Shou has no idea about Utsumi and Yuki's relationship. It'll be interesting watching how things turn out.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 09:43   Link #1314
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I think that while Shou is rapidly destroying her previous perceptions and feelings towards Utsumi it's a very uphill battle for her to win, if ever she desires to get in to the race for his heart. First, his rejection from her was quite horrible. Second, Utsumi has been hurt very much by her actions whether she meant it or not. Finally, Utsumi practically has her in the friend-zone because he has moved on from her and is quite strong with his feelings for Yuki. Now that they've resolved a mutual liking toward one another - even shared a kiss that was surprising but welcome, the best (or worst) thing Shou becomes is a rival. She's probably the final hurdle Yuki and Utsumi have to overcome to become a solid couple.

I think Risa even has more of a chance with him, because at least it was Utsumi who rejected Risa and it was never Risa who hurt Utsumi.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 11:45   Link #1315
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
And also Utsumi didn't really tell her she had no chance. In fact, he implied that if it weren't for Kurokawa he would have no problems with giving her a chance. I think Shou definitely destroyed any chance she had with Utsumi after rejecting him the way she did. Karma's a bitch ain't it?
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 12:02   Link #1316
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Utsumi didn't tell Shou she had no chance either. But I think the normal path for a guy is to keep one's integrity after having it stepped and shat on. Shou can't change the fact that she's hurt Utsumi badly and terribly with the things she's done. I think Utsumi can help her move on (he's already doing that) but aside from that she's practically stuck in the friend zone after what she did to him. Utsumi's a nice guy, but we can see that he's pretty decisive and he's not a pushover. I don't see Shou in particular changing that, especially with the way she treated him.

Risa, however, I agree, may mix things up. She's beautiful, sexy, and kind-hearted. She's also not giving up, and she has more points with Utsumi because she never tried to hurt him and even recognized his feelings, in fact. It is comeuppance for Shou - I just hope she can deal with it cleanly and ask forgiveness and thanks from Utsumi in the end. She'll have to move on, because I can't see Utsumi budging from any of her advances in the future. I just can't.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 12:18   Link #1317
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
Well, Utsumi really liked her in the beginning and I'm not sure if he likes Yuki as much as he did Shou before, but if Shou started making moves I could see Utsumi starting to look at her again if Yuki doesn't move swiftly enough. But, considering its Shou, she probably won't realize her feelings have sprouted again until after Yuki and Utsumi are going out and even if she were to realize them before then she probably wouldn't know what to do.

I'm worried about Risa though, she seems like the type that would do harm to her body if the guy she likes doesn't recognize her. It seems like she'd be really depressed if Utsumi doesn't reciprocate her feelings since she has no experience in the love game and might starve herself to try and attract him by becoming slimmer. Actually, I could see Shou doing the same thing too.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 12:26   Link #1318
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
His feelings for Shou were a simple crush in my book, while his relationship with Yuki has been developed through common experience, that's all I'm going to say about it.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 13:03   Link #1319
Xagzan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
Utsumi didn't tell Shou she had no chance either. But I think the normal path for a guy is to keep one's integrity after having it stepped and shat on. Shou can't change the fact that she's hurt Utsumi badly and terribly with the things she's done. I think Utsumi can help her move on (he's already doing that) but aside from that she's practically stuck in the friend zone after what she did to him. Utsumi's a nice guy, but we can see that he's pretty decisive and he's not a pushover. I don't see Shou in particular changing that, especially with the way she treated him.

Risa, however, I agree, may mix things up. She's beautiful, sexy, and kind-hearted. She's also not giving up, and she has more points with Utsumi because she never tried to hurt him and even recognized his feelings, in fact. It is comeuppance for Shou - I just hope she can deal with it cleanly and ask forgiveness and thanks from Utsumi in the end. She'll have to move on, because I can't see Utsumi budging from any of her advances in the future. I just can't.
Oh come on. "What she did to him," "tried to hurt him," "comeuppance?"

She cancelled one 'date' to go out with her old crush without even knowing Utsumi's feelings. It wasn't nearly as horrible as you're making it sound. It's not a girl's responsibility to "recognize his feelings." It's nice if they do, but it doesn't make her a bad person if she doesn't.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 13:08   Link #1320
Suzuku
(`・⊝・)/\(`・⊝・)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Age: 20
^ That's a completely bitch move. She cancelled a date she agreed to and Utsumi was really looking forward to just to go out with another guy, and wasn't even brave enough to tell him upfront. If it were me I would've slapped her.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
being good sucks, drama, kento boss, romance, shoukento, shounen, slice of life, yukiumi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.