AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2004-03-02, 12:19   Link #1
MwyC

Send a message via AIM to MwyC Send a message via MSN to MwyC
Baldr Force

Err does anyone play this?
Know how to get more weapons for my mech?
The little dinky peashooter needs a replacement for survival mode..
or are the weapons unlocked as you play more?
MwyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 13:10   Link #2
Doddler

Send a message via ICQ to Doddler Send a message via MSN to Doddler

How the heck did you unlock survival mode if you don't know how to level up your weapons? You need to complete all 6 stories for you to unlock both survival and hell mode.

ANYWAYS

I guess I'll explain.

In the main story, as you do damage with a weapon, you gain experience with that weapon. Actually, thats not 100% true, as long as you use the weapon in a combo that does damage, that weapon will gain some experience. The more you use a weapon, the bigger the bonus to the weapons heat (which means it takes less heat to fire, and allows you to chain the weapon into bigger combo's). Once you get enough experience with a weapon, it'll level up. That basically means it becomes bigger, does more dmg, fires more missles, etc. Highest level for a weapon is level 3.

To unlock other weapons, you need to get certain weapons to a certain level. Basically, all weapons avialable to unlock have pre-reqs. Force crashes are different, you obtain these by meeting certain goals, such as beating genha, yagisawa, or bachelor in the different challenges, beating all the virus' within 1 min of the time limit, etc.

When you play survival mode, you'll be able to chose among the weapons that were unlocked in the primary story. You won't be able to change your loadout in survival between matches, so make sure you chose something good. Also, when you start survival, all your guns start at lvl 1, but they have an increased rate of leveling. Unfortunately, you can't level your gun in survival mode past what you've gotten it to in the main campaign.

And that about covers it.

My question though, is how you managed to get survival mode without playing the main story. Both survival and hell modes can only be played after the final story is completed, because the matches involve killer spoilers. Only guess is that you got the game from someone else who had already completed the game, in which I would suggest you empty the save game folder and start from scratch. Much better that way.

Doddler
Doddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 13:13   Link #3
Doddler

On an related, but different topic, I'm currently working on a translation patch for baldr force... it won't be done any time soon, but I want to see if there's any interest in such a patch here. I'll make the perliminary patch with the translation for the first chapter available soon. Anyone interested? Anyone want to help? :P
Old 2004-03-02, 13:37   Link #4
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doddler
On an related, but different topic, I'm currently working on a translation patch for baldr force... it won't be done any time soon, but I want to see if there's any interest in such a patch here. I'll make the perliminary patch with the translation for the first chapter available soon. Anyone interested?
YES! YES! ABSOLUTELY!!

Quote:
Anyone want to help? :P
Errr...

Don't I wish I could. I don't know programming, and I haven't even memorized all the Hiragana characters yet... -_-
Old 2004-03-02, 14:06   Link #5
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
On an related, but different topic, I'm currently working on a translation patch for baldr force... it won't be done any time soon, but I want to see if there's any interest in such a patch here. I'll make the perliminary patch with the translation for the first chapter available soon. Anyone interested? Anyone want to help? :P
I'd be interested in something like that. The only help I'd be able to lend would be x86 help I'm afraid.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 14:49   Link #6
Doddler

I'm making progress on the patch, albet rather slowly. Being able to modify the games script was hard, but I found someone who was able to help me. Now its just a matter of translating the script and patching the game. As I said, I'll release a test patch as soon as I finish the first chapter or two. Still looking for people to help out... maybe the NNL people would have an interest? I atleast gotta ask if I can use thier subbed intro ^^.

For those at all interested...

Old 2004-03-02, 15:20   Link #7
GipFace

Yum yum.

How the heck did you unlock survival mode if you don't know how to level up your weapons? You need to complete all 6 stories for you to unlock both survival and hell mode. ... [They] can only be played after the final story is completed because the matches involve killer spoilers. [My] only guess is that you got the game from someone else who had already completed the game, in which I would suggest you empty the save game folder and start from scratch. Much better that way.

He could have went to a game save site like sagaoz and grabbed a 100% save file. Why work for your pr0n when you can get it effortlessly? [/lamer]
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 15:49   Link #8
MwyC

ahahahah
yeah
i beat the game once finishing all of, if no most of the challenged then decided i liked the blowin stuff up better than the pr0n
so i snagged a savegame and started on survival, but still only have maybe 1/4 of the total weapons available

incidentally, i played baldr neko force before this
heheh
so how the weapons level up and are used is pretty familiar to me
Old 2004-03-02, 16:35   Link #9
Doddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace
Why work for your pr0n when you can get it effortlessly? [/lamer]
Because the game has very good gameplay, and an engaging story, both of which you can't get with a 100% save game file :P I really liked the games story, and I think the story and gameplay tied togeather quite well. You have to beat all 6 stories in order to see everything tie togeather though.

To be honest, the survival mode sucks, I don't like battling to match 200 or so and then messing up and losing everything. Baldr Neko Force is better if you want survival mode (although thats *all* baldr neko force is. Hell mode is far better, but you won't finish many of the hell mode matches without having played the game through. I mean, I still have 4 hell mode matches to complete (The S class battles are a biatch). The easier S class battles, like the double leviathan or the three final bosses at once I doubt could be done without alot of practice. Heck, it took me countless tries, and I have over 50 hours put into baldr force so far :P
Old 2004-03-02, 16:59   Link #10
MwyC

well, my understanding of japanese is really bad
i can only recognize a few characters and can only understand perhaps half of the dialogue
but when the ecchi scenes roll around i can pretty much read it all - あ あ あ
hahahhahahahahahahahaha

yeah...i would have like baldr neko better, but i like the almost pure mech combat in baldr force better
but popping some missiles at the SD characters in hell mode is quite fun too
Old 2004-03-02, 21:55   Link #11
Doddler

I need a test subject... if someone with baldr force wants to toss the contents of this -> BaldrForce.zip into thier Baldr Force directory and start a new game (make sure you don't skip the prologue though). I'd be very happy to see how it works on a clean install of baldr force (Make backups of BaldrForce.exe and Update.pac first though). Mines really messed with since I started this project :P. There's not much to this update, I just need to verify it works alright.
Old 2004-03-02, 22:14   Link #12
MwyC

Thumbs up

yeah, works like a charm
Old 2004-03-04, 19:28   Link #13
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Just out of curiosity, how are you planning to translate the furigana in the game? Sometimes the characters speak the furigana and sometimes they speak the equivalent meaning Kanji. Sometimes, the furigana is used as an indicator of additional meaning (like referring to the First Battalion as 'uchi' or family)
Old 2004-03-05, 13:24   Link #14
Doddler

You bring up a good point. Right now what I'm trying to do is come up with a good enough english equivilant to not lose the origional meaning. In some cases, I've been putting in extra lines explaining this, in other cases, I've simply kept both (although it'll most likely need to be changed later) and kept the secondary meaning in () above the word. I'm not sure how I'll handle it, it works good with abreviations like V.S.S. and putting the full name above it, but in the case you mentioned I havn't come up with an adequate solution yet.

Right now I'm still trying to come up with a decent english term for the online world, as well as a matching term for 電子体 that doesn't sound really corny :P. I think I'll just end up using "cyberspace" and cyber-whatever for the objects in that world (The term cyberspace is used once or twice too). I considered wired, since it is used too, but that sounds too Lain-ish.
Old 2004-03-06, 15:32   Link #15
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
You bring up a good point. Right now what I'm trying to do is come up with a good enough english equivilant to not lose the origional meaning. In some cases, I've been putting in extra lines explaining this, in other cases, I've simply kept both (although it'll most likely need to be changed later) and kept the secondary meaning in () above the word. I'm not sure how I'll handle it, it works good with abreviations like V.S.S. and putting the full name above it, but in the case you mentioned I havn't come up with an adequate solution yet.

Right now I'm still trying to come up with a decent english term for the online world, as well as a matching term for 電子体 that doesn't sound really corny :P. I think I'll just end up using "cyberspace" and cyber-whatever for the objects in that world (The term cyberspace is used once or twice too). I considered wired, since it is used too, but that sounds too Lain-ish.
Well, the game DOES use "Wired Ghost" in katakana and/or English. So I don't know how weird it would sound if the person says "Wired Ghost" and the text comes out "Cyber-Ghost." One approach may be to leave it as the Japanese take on the English, and include some liner notes with descriptions of technical terms, or have some window pop up if you click on Wired Ghost or something. BTW, nice job to whoever unpacked your executable, that debugging protection is painful.
Old 2004-03-07, 02:40   Link #16
Doddler

Well, I'll leave wired ghost as wired ghost, because it sounds better and its very obvious thats what they say :P. The other stuff I'll refer to as cyber-.

As it stands, pop ups arn't quite feasable at the moment, but there may be a way to do it. The engine isn't as tweakable as AVG32 was for kanon.

And whats this about the executable? We never had any problem with it so far. Actually, we havn't yet changed anything in the executable so far, so I dunno how hard that is :P. The pack files it turns out were compressed with LZSS, nothing too advanced, and the script files were pretty streight forward.
Old 2004-03-07, 15:31   Link #17
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Well, I'll leave wired ghost as wired ghost, because it sounds better and its very obvious thats what they say :P. The other stuff I'll refer to as cyber-.

As it stands, pop ups arn't quite feasable at the moment, but there may be a way to do it. The engine isn't as tweakable as AVG32 was for kanon.

And whats this about the executable? We never had any problem with it so far. Actually, we havn't yet changed anything in the executable so far, so I dunno how hard that is :P. The pack files it turns out were compressed with LZSS, nothing too advanced, and the script files were pretty streight forward.
Maybe the version you got was already hacked to remove the copy protection? The original executable is ~1.6MB and has a two-three stage loading process. The boot loader decompresses two DLLs from inside the executable and extracts them to a temporary folder. It then loads the DLLs into memory by memory mapping them. Then, it uses one DLL to determine whether you have a debugger present and shut down if so. The next DLL decompresses the executable image into RAM, loads the imports and then starts execution. You can see what the original exe is like by downloading one of the update patches. Those extract into a folder and contain an original executable.
Old 2004-03-08, 02:50   Link #18
Doddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Maybe the version you got was already hacked to remove the copy protection? The original executable is ~1.6MB and has a two-three stage loading process. The boot loader decompresses two DLLs from inside the executable and extracts them to a temporary folder. It then loads the DLLs into memory by memory mapping them. Then, it uses one DLL to determine whether you have a debugger present and shut down if so. The next DLL decompresses the executable image into RAM, loads the imports and then starts execution. You can see what the original exe is like by downloading one of the update patches. Those extract into a folder and contain an original executable.
I would seriously doubt that (the hacked exe), seeing how my copy of the game is a legitimate copy :P. The executable is 960k, which is the one I got from the patch from the homepage.
Old 2004-03-08, 22:32   Link #19
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
I would seriously doubt that (the hacked exe), seeing how my copy of the game is a legitimate copy :P. The executable is 960k, which is the one I got from the patch from the homepage.
Oh, the 1.10 patch. I was using the old 1.04L patch. No wonder ^^;
Old 2004-04-04, 22:53   Link #20
Baldr

Interest in Baldr Force

I am a new members who knows little about Baldr Force except that it is a game.. I have great interest in this game.. As I am extremly bad in Japanese, and don't even have a copy of the game yet.. I really hope somebody can tell me how to obtain a copy.. Thanks to NNL, especially GipFace to put a lot of time for the NNL shorts that have Baldr Force opening. Please do tell me if you have realted information about this game.. I would of course, appreciate wallpapers and screenshoots too...

Thank you once again
Baldr is offline   Reply With Quote