AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2009-09-19, 14:05   Link #141
marvelB

By the way, I loved the expression on Mr. 3's face in that one spread of Luffy's group. I'm still hoping that he sticks with Buggy after this storyline is over. The two of them are pretty obsessed with wealth (Buggy loves hunting treasure, and Mr. 3 always mentions money in his speech, although most translators tend to skip over this), so the two of them make a natural team! I still figure that Buggy's old crew will ditch Alvida at some point to reunite with their captain, though it's still unclear whether or not his loyal group of followers from Impel Down will join him, as well. Heh, either way, he's going to have a hell of a rough time hunting down Captain John's treasure after this storyline's conclusion......

Also, I've been half-expecting Daz to ask Luffy about Zoro's progress in his swordsmanship. I guess I sorta figure that he might be curious since he's been hanging around Luffy for a while now, and he should know that he's Zoro's captain, right? Heck, he might be even more inclined to ask Luffy about Zoro now that we know that Jozu is a diamond DF user......

And on the subject of blade-type DF users, I hope we see Inazuma in action, soon. I know he got poisoned by Magellan and all, but Iva used his hormone powers to heal him before, and hopefully he's (at least mostly) recovered by now. I think his character design and DF power is really awesome, and IMO it would be kind of a waste for him to be MIA during this great event.......
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 14:07   Link #142
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
I think so a bit to. I do think I enjoyed Kishi's chapter more this week, which is pretty rare ( I've thought one piece has been consistently better than other jump manga over the last 50 weeks). I think Oda's drawing the suspense a bit to much. If you really think about it not that much has happened. This is a lot like the beginning of alabasta war. A bunch of side characters fighting each other.

I do err on the side that buggy is going to become big after this arc. Oda has been setting him up for the role the whole series. since he introduced him as roger's apprentice. Also as annoying a character as he is, he's shown he has a lot of luck ect.
Old 2009-09-19, 14:55   Link #143
hkBattousai

Boa Hancock's shichibukai position could probably be canceled if she clearly sides with Luffy. I think there's is a high chance that Boa Hancock too resigns from her shichibukai position just like Jimbei did, and then join to the Luffy's crew. In other perspective, she has to do it, otherwise she is going to die, because you know, she is lovesick and she needs to be with Luffy to stay alive. I don't think Oda is just crazy to let a character like Boa Hancock die.
hkBattousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 15:14   Link #144
Battler-kun

God...Mihawk is just posing around and giving some comments...can't he actually do something?
He must do something in the upcoming chapters....

Also, i can't believe that the World Government is losing here, as i have been stating for ages, unless Oda wants to screw up the balance badly.

The WG has been constantly losing so far, and also do not forget the revolutionaries.

They only have 3 admirals and a head regarding the marines....there is nothing more.

Unless WG have something up in their sleeves (Vegapunk) , i see them as a pretty weak organisation that can't deal with one of the Big Four of the New World (and some other pirates) in their own territory.
Battler-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 15:20   Link #145
hkBattousai

Everybody ask "Why doesn't X attacking, why is he standing?". Think realistic for a while; this is just a manga. How would draw a manga page in which 500 people are attacking each other at the same time? It would be such a mess, and wouldn't be so much interesting to read. I'm expecting sequential one-on-one matches, at most three or four at a same time.
Old 2009-09-19, 16:12   Link #146
Prestige

I think it its only been 5 mins since Whitebeard emerged from ocean. This event is so titanic that you simply cannot show everything in 17 pages chapters...

Oda can only focus one point at time, because scale of this event there is so much happening on battlefield at every minute that its simply impossible to show it at manga.

I dont think that it has not been more than 3-5 minutes since start of fighting, but just recapping 10 minutes of battle of this size can take up to half year in weekly manga.
Prestige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-19, 16:17   Link #147
hkBattousai

^ Yeah, do you guys remember the "5 minute" fight between Goku and Frieza (in Dragon Ball Z)? It lasted about 20 episodes which corresponds to half a year in real world. So be ready, this war for saving Ace may last really really long...
Old 2009-09-20, 04:21   Link #148
Master Mold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post

Btw, this chapter sucked.
Hold it, you don't want to be labeled a One Piece/Luffy hater do ya? Better add a JK in your next post so you won't get swarmed. lol Seriously this chapter is bad, I dont even remember it at this moment it feels like Oda is still on break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkBattousai
^ Yeah, do you guys remember the "5 minute" fight between Goku and Frieza (in Dragon Ball Z)? It lasted about 20 episodes which corresponds to half a year in real world. So be ready, this war for saving Ace may last really really long...
Which is understandable since them cats where so dang fast.
Master Mold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 04:31   Link #149
james0246

^Bad? No, not bad. Just really boring. I don't mind the various characters noticing and reacting to Luffy's arival, that was almost cliche I had seen it so many times in this series as well as others, rather, it was the fact that there was 8 pages of info spread across 16-17 pages. That is inexcusable, and turned even the fun 8 pages into a boring 17 page chapter.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 06:06   Link #150
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Send a message via Skype™ to Poetic Justice
Hmm..Did luffy use kings haki to inspire Buggy on page 3?
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 07:17   Link #151
Sleep_ping
The Restless FTL

^No sign of it, but I guess not, since the rest were relatively unaffected though...

Still don't understand the reaction of buggy, maybe he doesn't want to lose his 'captain' appearance? Since the cannon fodders were looking up to him as their god.

And the chapter only feels 'lousy' because the arc has been awesome throughout, and we now have a slight break of action
Sleep_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 10:23   Link #152
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler-kun View Post
God...Mihawk is just posing around and giving some comments...can't he actually do something?
He must do something in the upcoming chapters....
From Whtiebeard's side, Marco and Jozu are occupied at the moment. Excluding those two and Whitebeard himself, there's no else comparable to Mihawk at all. Since there's really no one left worthy enough to challenge him, he's not going to be inclined to fight. Only those that really catch his interest will incite him to do something, but that doesn't seem to be the case right now.

Quote:
Also, i can't believe that the World Government is losing here
What led you to this conclusion? The casualties on both sides have been pretty even.

Quote:
The WG has been constantly losing so far, and also do not forget the revolutionaries.
This is exactly why I don't want them to lose. They deserve a victory for once, and there is still so much that has yet to be revealed about them. It wouldn't make any sense to have them destroyed at this point in the story.

Quote:
They only have 3 admirals and a head regarding the marines....there is nothing more.
Don't forget Garp .

Quote:
Unless WG have something up in their sleeves (Vegapunk) , i see them as a pretty weak organisation that can't deal with one of the Big Four of the New World (and some other pirates) in their own territory.
Oda just has a tendency/habit of making the WG and marines look incompetent. That's nothing new . In all seriousness though, I expect to see this plan of Sengoku's really deal a hard blow to the pirates.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I'm really looking forward to the moment when someone will deliver the first painful blow on Whitebeard. We get the point that he's the strongest man in the world and all, but I think it's time to show why those that are just below him are fearsome in their own right when they get down to business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkBattousai View Post
It lasted 9 episodes. Gotta love over exaggerations .
Old 2009-09-20, 13:35   Link #153
Big Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
From Whtiebeard's side, Marco and Jozu are occupied at the moment. Excluding those two and Whitebeard himself, there's no else comparable to Mihawk at all. Since there's really no one left worthy enough to challenge him, he's not going to be inclined to fight. Only those that really catch his interest will incite him to do something, but that doesn't seem to be the case right now.

What led you to this conclusion? The casualties on both sides have been pretty even.

This is exactly why I don't want them to lose. They deserve a victory for once, and there is still so much that has yet to be revealed about them. It wouldn't make any sense to have them destroyed at this point in the story.

Don't forget Garp .

Oda just has a tendency/habit of making the WG and marines look incompetent. That's nothing new . In all seriousness though, I expect to see this plan of Sengoku's really deal a hard blow to the pirates.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I'm really looking forward to the moment when someone will deliver the first painful blow on Whitebeard. We get the point that he's the strongest man in the world and all, but I think it's time to show why those that are just below him are fearsome in their own right when they get down to business.

It lasted 9 episodes. Gotta love over exaggerations .
"Over exaggeration" by themself are exaggerations.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 16:35   Link #154
Prestige

Those of you who want to know more of rest of Strawhats adventures on their islands you should check recent anime episodes.

Oh and it appears most of their progress wont be shown in manga so I really recommend to check out anime episodes to know how are they progressing.

And its not really filler either, Oda gave instructions and scripts to anime teams who made their Strawhat episodes based on.

While manga-only viewers gets somekind of image whats happening on them by coverstorys you get much more detailed info from anime.

Nami's powerup is pretty clear now, in latest anime episode she already fused wind-knot rope with her clima tact...pretty good stuff.
Prestige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-20, 16:56   Link #155
hkBattousai

^ I have been thinking about the last anime episode and the separation of Strawhat pirates. All of the crew-mates are sent to certain places by Kuma intentionally. Kuma's purpose is probably to make our heroes even stronger. Just consider, Nami and Franky are going to improve their skills, so are the rest of them, they are going to be even stronger. Do you really think that all the crew improve and Luffy stay same? I don't want to believe that. There must have happened something that made Luffy stronger. To make myself clear, I can say Luffy is able to use his haki now. Remember the fight between Lufy and Bruno (or Pluto, I don't remember now, the CP9 member), until that moment we didn't know anything about gear 2, it was a great surprise, it had to be a great surprise. Now we are going to witness one more surprise, believe me...
Old 2009-09-20, 17:00   Link #156
Big Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkBattousai View Post
^ I have been thinking about the last anime episode and the separation of Strawhat pirates. All of the crew-mates are sent to certain places by Kuma intentionally. Kuma's purpose is probably to make our heroes even stronger. Just consider, Nami and Franky are going to improve their skills, so are the rest of them, they are going to be even stronger. Do you really think that all the crew improve and Luffy stay same? I don't want to believe that. There must have happened something that made Luffy stronger. To make myself clear, I can say Luffy is able to use his haki now. Remember the fight between Lufy and Bruno (or Pluto, I don't remember now, the CP9 member), until that moment we didn't know anything about gear 2, it was a great surprise, it had to be a great surprise. Now we are going to witness one more surprise, believe me...
I highly doubt Kuma sent them each to a certain place on purpose...
Old 2009-09-20, 17:53   Link #157
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Based on what we had seen so far, the opposite is closer to the truth. Add to that, the unknown content of what Kuma said to Rayleigh and Rayleigh's surprise. It looked more like a planned action, though I don't know who planned it, Kuma or someone else.

Also, it is too much of a coincidence to send each of the Strawhats to a location matching their character and abilities. If it would be one or two, I would have understood and considered that as mere coincidence, but for all of them to experience the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Also, I've been half-expecting Daz to ask Luffy about Zoro's progress in his swordsmanship. I guess I sorta figure that he might be curious since he's been hanging around Luffy for a while now, and he should know that he's Zoro's captain, right? Heck, he might be even more inclined to ask Luffy about Zoro now that we know that Jozu is a diamond DF user......
Unfortunately, that would be too much out of character for him to ask that question. If he were to be the winner, that would be different. But, he was on the losing side.

Quote:
And on the subject of blade-type DF users, I hope we see Inazuma in action, soon. I know he got poisoned by Magellan and all, but Iva used his hormone powers to heal him before, and hopefully he's (at least mostly) recovered by now. I think his character design and DF power is really awesome, and IMO it would be kind of a waste for him to be MIA during this great event.......
Inazuma is not really a fighting type. Until now, he was mostly shown as creating paths, or closing paths. I think the only use for him in the near future is to either open a path for Luffy and the others to escape, or block the paths of the pursuers. Considering that he is already weakened by the poison, expecting him to fight a high level opponent does not seem to be an option for him.
Old 2009-09-21, 00:03   Link #158
nicepace
The congueror Of The EAST

Quote:
well for me no doubt for the most of trawhats were sent out by kuma to the place they can maximize their potential or just to experience and character development.. just to refresh:
luffy > amazon lylly (places where haki is used in daily fight)
nami > sky island (coudl be the best place to learn about navigation and wheater science)
ussop > some wierd forrest & meet heracless
zorro > hes been in the care of perona (thing he most needed in the mean time, rest and treated well)
franky > no place better for him than former Dr. Vagapunk reseach house..
sanji > certainly in the best place of kempo master....
well for brook, robbin and chopper...
Old 2009-09-21, 00:38   Link #159
Big Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
well for me no doubt for the most of trawhats were sent out by kuma to the place they can maximize their potential or just to experience and character development.. just to refresh:
luffy > amazon lylly (places where haki is used in daily fight)
nami > sky island (coudl be the best place to learn about navigation and wheater science)
ussop > some wierd forrest & meet heracless
zorro > hes been in the care of perona (thing he most needed in the mean time, rest and treated well)
franky > no place better for him than former Dr. Vagapunk reseach house..
sanji > certainly in the best place of kempo master....
well for brook, robbin and chopper...
So kuma...he had all those islands on his mind as soon as he did this, and he has the ability to direct exactly how far the people he hits go? Highly highly highly doubt it. Also, you guys act like Kuma wants them to get stronger. Why in the hell would the shichibukai most loyal to the WG want to have the strawhats get stronger.

Also, the only places that i see as great fits for the people to land are nami and Franky. Zoro's place makes no sense, neither do most of the other ones. You could make these connections with any island they landed on.

Luffy's doesn't make sense either since most of you guys don't believe that luffy learned anything about haki on amazon lily.

The thought that kuma could push anyone to any exact location makes his devil fruit so overpowered it's not even funny.
Old 2009-09-21, 01:13   Link #160
james0246

Playing Devil's Advocate:

Quote:
So kuma...he had all those islands on his mind as soon as he did this, and he has the ability to direct exactly how far the people he hits go? Highly highly highly doubt it.
The fact that every single person landed on an island, even though the vast majority of the world is covered in water, indicates that Kuma had coordinates for every person. Otherwise, there survival would be one of the greatest plot contrivances in the entire series - if islands make up a very small percentage of the total surface, then everyone falling on an island would be statistically improbable (it would be like trying to hit a bull’s-eye on a dart board standing 100 meters away), so some navigation is required.

Additionally, since he did ask Perona where she would like to go, and she ended up where she wanted to go, that indicates that Kuma has precise control over where he sends his "victims".

Quote:
Also, you guys act like Kuma wants them to get stronger. Why in the hell would the shichibukai most loyal to the WG want to have the strawhats get stronger.
Every action of Kuma's has been directly opposed to what the Marines or the WG wants. He did not take care of the Strawhats on Thriller Bark, and he refused the orders of an Admiral of Sabaody, even going so far as to have a whispered conversation with Rayleigh. So, it is hard to make a blanket statement like Kuma is the most loyal, when his every action seems to go against the WG. This is conjecture, of course, and there could be further layers we do not know of currently, but whatever the case, Kuma is more than ambiguous enough in his actions for possible disloyalty to be viable.

Quote:
Also, the only places that i see as great fits for the people to land are nami and Franky. Zoro's place makes no sense, neither do most of the other ones. You could make these connections with any island they landed on.
Zoro currently cannot fight the intangible, so who better to test his strength on than someone that can make an intangible target that won't actually hurt the controller if it is destroyed (i.e. Zoro can slash away at Perona's ghost without fear of hurting her)? Additionally, Zoro's gained the ability to cut iron/steel only when he was at his weakest, so constantly having to fight a ghost that cannot be cut and who has the ability to destroy confidence in a single blow is quite possibly the best training partner imaginable for Zoro.

(Again, conjecture. Most have assumed that Zoro would learn to cut through diamond (since it is a solid) before he would learn to cut the intangible (i.e. an element).)

Quote:
Luffy's doesn't make sense either since most of you guys don't believe that luffy learned anything about haki on amazon lily.
Luffy is never taught, he learns from watching and interacting with others. After seeing what the Amazons and Rayleigh can do with Haki, Luffy has more than enough material to eventually master the ability without outside help.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote