AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-03-25, 20:32   Link #741
kakakka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Well, I think the issue most people have is that we went through 70 monthly chapters and then everything reset. Having your protagonist still be at square one after all this time is very annoying. You'd expect some real development after years of being serialized, but Shioon isn't any different from when he first started wanting to learn.
This is not the 70 chapter before though, this is a new one. The previous one ended with the protagonist getting his ki center destroyed.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 21:05   Link #742
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Well, I think the issue most people have is that we went through 70 monthly chapters and then everything reset. Having your protagonist still be at square one after all this time is very annoying. You'd expect some real development after years of being serialized, but Shioon isn't any different from when he first started wanting to learn.
As was pointed out - New Waves is both something of a restart and a continuation, so... Yeah, I'd argue that we're seeing the same pattern, but it's also supposed to be Shioon's restart, what with him not being able to use martial art sin the same way any longer.

Still, look at it from the bright side: the apttern would indicate that from now on, Shioon's going to get sytonger. But this time around, learning some proper martial arts comes before regaining his ki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Shijima] View Post
And where the heck is Goomoonryong during all this, he really must not give a damn about Shioon.

If he really did destroy Shioon's ki center so people would leave him alone he should have realized by now that that didn't work, if anything it's made him a bigger target.
Goomoonryong basically destroyed Shioon's kicenter and denounced him as his disciple to protect him. Normally, this might be enough - in chapter 2 of NW, Junhoo (I think that was his name) said that normally, the other schools wouldn't dare to oppose the Alliance's word in this question, but since Goomoonryong weakened the alliance, their word isn't taken as law any longer. And Goomoonryong... Well, for all his ruthlessness, sometimes he's just as naive as Shioon and doesn't fully thinka bout the consequences of his actions. He may truly have though that no one would be interested in taking revenge on a "false disciple" with a broken ki-center.

Current events have shown him wrong, obviously, but the solution may have been the best at the time, even if it was a rushed one. And if he returned to Shioon now, chances are that the amount of negative attention Shioon would receive would be ever greater than it currently is.
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-25, 21:32   Link #743
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Orlando
It's not so much that he didn't think anyone would be interested in beating up Shioon after the fact, but that he thought he didn't have to think about that. The fighter's pride normally won't let a trained fighter beat up someone whom everyone knows is weak - it goes against the martial arts code/ethos. The ones who are going after Shioon now are risking a lot, despite the weakened state of the Alliance and the main power centers of the martial arts world. To beat up on Shioon just because they can't get to Goomoonryong will be seen as extremely petty, cruel, and unworthy of being called a martial artist. If anyone does succeed in it, they'll probably be ostracized by the Alliance, denounced as a petty scoundrel, and cast out of the martial world. It's why Sera was taking such pains to find out if anyone in particular was backing Shioon before trying to kill him. They wanted to see if he was under the protection of the Alliance or some other major group. Even now, with the goons in the masks, they know that if they are found out, they'll be in hot water with everyone else because of it. They know this and yet they feel that their anger at Goomoonryong's actions is 'justified' enough to do this to Shioon.

And if 9 Dragon heard of it, he'd probably lapse into 'Demon King' mode long enough to utterly annhilate that entire school and anyone affiliated with them for going after Shioon after he publicly cast him off and made him unfit to be called a fighter any more.

So it's not that he didn't think about it, 9 Dragon just took it for granted that everyone would leave Shioon alone and focus on him again. He probably knows that some people are petty enough to do it but he also knew that the Sun family, in particular the young daughter of the Sun family, extended to him the family crest so he did have something to fall back on.
__________________
"Focus entirely on me, you ordinary soldier."
Tempest35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-26, 02:51   Link #744
Kinku
Hate a Hater.Love a Lover
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kinku
Be funny if Miss Sera decide to declare shinoon her fiance to protect
__________________
☆● PeAcE N Love●☆
Kinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-26, 03:56   Link #745
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
It's not so much that he didn't think anyone would be interested in beating up Shioon after the fact, but that he thought he didn't have to think about that. The fighter's pride normally won't let a trained fighter beat up someone whom everyone knows is weak - it goes against the martial arts code/ethos. The ones who are going after Shioon now are risking a lot, despite the weakened state of the Alliance and the main power centers of the martial arts world. To beat up on Shioon just because they can't get to Goomoonryong will be seen as extremely petty, cruel, and unworthy of being called a martial artist. If anyone does succeed in it, they'll probably be ostracized by the Alliance, denounced as a petty scoundrel, and cast out of the martial world. It's why Sera was taking such pains to find out if anyone in particular was backing Shioon before trying to kill him. They wanted to see if he was under the protection of the Alliance or some other major group. Even now, with the goons in the masks, they know that if they are found out, they'll be in hot water with everyone else because of it. They know this and yet they feel that their anger at Goomoonryong's actions is 'justified' enough to do this to Shioon.

And if 9 Dragon heard of it, he'd probably lapse into 'Demon King' mode long enough to utterly annhilate that entire school and anyone affiliated with them for going after Shioon after he publicly cast him off and made him unfit to be called a fighter any more.

So it's not that he didn't think about it, 9 Dragon just took it for granted that everyone would leave Shioon alone and focus on him again. He probably knows that some people are petty enough to do it but he also knew that the Sun family, in particular the young daughter of the Sun family, extended to him the family crest so he did have something to fall back on.
That. And also, it was probably just the best he could do at the time.

---

Ok, so it looks like Shioon's in a pinch. Time for him to turn up the charm and add Sera to his harem. Especially now that he's unconscious. He's at his most irresistible when he's unconscious.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 00:26   Link #746
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kasumigaseki; where contractors dwell.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Ok, so it looks like Shioon's in a pinch. Time for him to turn up the charm and add Sera to his harem. Especially now that he's unconscious. He's at his most irresistible when he's unconscious.
Lol. I smell a catfight between sera and that other girl over who gets to carry Shioon's unconscious body to a love hotel home.
__________________
cloak_and_dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 06:12   Link #747
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak_and_dagger View Post
Lol. I smell a catfight between sera and that other girl over who gets to carry Shioon's unconscious body to a love hotel home.
Don't we already sorta have one in this chapter?

Page 16: (Jinie) Hey! Hands off, I have the first claim on him!

DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-27, 06:40   Link #748
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Too bad for Jinie, she's not in the same league as Sera.

Too bad for us too. I'm sure a close match would result in much wardrobe damage...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 00:10   Link #749
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
The chapter's out at Daum:

http://cartoon.media.daum.net/webtoon/viewer/10854

Spoiler for the chapter:
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 00:22   Link #750
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
So, finally...

Spoiler:
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 00:27   Link #751
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
So, finally...

Spoiler:
I wondrered if that was the case too... Glad to see that it wasn't
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 14:42   Link #752
Exether
Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
I wondrered if that was the case too... Glad to see that it wasn't
It wasn't? So who the h3$k is that guy then?

Can't wait for the translation
__________________
Exether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 15:34   Link #753
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exether View Post
It wasn't? So who the h3$k is that guy then?
You misunderstand. He said that he almost thought that the artist had retconned Guy-Bum inviting the three people whom he brought with him in chapter 69 of Part 1 to it being Jinie only who was invited and I said I had wondred the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exether View Post
Can't wait for the translation
Let's see how generous A-Team will be this time...
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 03:37   Link #754
Xacual
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
23 is out now. Stupid Jinie letting it out that Shioon is the clan head.
__________________
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 04:20   Link #755
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
23 is out now. Stupid Jinie letting it out that Shioon is the clan head.
Yeah, I guess word will spread now after this fight's over... Plus, she herself appears to have forgotten how absurd it is for someone without ki to apaprently become the Sunwoo clan's leader . Nice Job Breaking It, Jinie . Guess her granpa won't be so pleased with her... .

Anyway, will be interesting to see the skills of this new guy. The masked suit-guy thinking that he has heard the name somewhere before implies that he may be well-known enough in the murim (unlike Jinie).
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 04:24   Link #756
Xacual
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
Yeah, I guess word will spread now after this fight's over... Plus, she herself appears to have forgotten how absurd it is for someone without ki to apaprently become the Sunwoo clan's leader . Nice Job Breaking It, Jinie . Guess her granpa won't be so pleased with her... .

Anyway, will be interesting to see the skills of this new guy. The masked suit-guy thinking that he has heard the name somewhere before implies that he may be well-known enough in the murim (unlike Jinie).
Well I always assumed that Jinie was the only visible protector because the other two were more well known and might give it away that Shioon was connected to the Sun woo clan. Of course Jinie just gave it away so the guy could come out.
__________________
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 04:34   Link #757
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Well I always assumed that Jinie was the only visible protector because the other two were more well known and might give it away that Shioon was connected to the Sun woo clan. Of course Jinie just gave it away so the guy could come out.
My assumption as well. So I guess that with the cat out of it's bag, Tattoo-guy will become a regualr face at Shioon's side as well now. And Bodyguard Number Three may not be far away from being introduced as well then...
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 10:37   Link #758
KLGChaos
The Shermain
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Age: 35
So, we'll have 3 DEM bodyguards coming in to save Shioon's butt every time he almost dies... er, everytime he fights. Oh wait, him fighting and almost dying go hand in hand. Him fighting at all is completely pointless if it's always going to end with a bodyguard having to protect him. Just let them fight in the beginning so we don't have to go through the horror of watching Shioon trying to look cool every battle-- something he fails at miserably.
__________________
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 10:46   Link #759
Johnny
Working the bags...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
I wouldn't say he failed miserably, because I bet even in Vegas the odds were probably a thousand to one that he wouldn't have been able to even touch Ji-Gun. Let alone land a good falcon punch...

Plus I had no delusions beforehand that this wasn't going to be the outcome. If the author didn't pull any instant power-up wins in the first one then it's a pretty good chance he won't pull one in this part either...
Johnny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-02, 11:01   Link #760
DarkLordOfkichiku
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
So, we'll have 3 DEM bodyguards coming in to save Shioon's butt every time he almost dies... er, everytime he fights.
Acually just one more fight, assuming that's the pattern they'll be going for, if even that. We'll see. Still, what do you expect? Until his ki-center is repaired or he finds out an alternative way of using ki or something like that, he'll more or less remain an average joe with the endurance and willpower of a Space Marine .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Oh wait, him fighting and almost dying go hand in hand. Him fighting at all is completely pointless if it's always going to end with a bodyguard having to protect him. Just let them fight in the beginning so we don't have to go through the horror of watching Shioon trying to look cool every battle-- something he fails at miserably.
I'm sure the author knows that he can't repeat the pattern forever .
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gar, harem, manhwa, martial arts, new waves

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.