AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-27, 06:19   Link #1
ChibiBear
Aim's Stalker ^_~

Send a message via MSN to ChibiBear
Good Humor?

Hi! I have a huge list of awesomely disturbing animes, but I also need some funny ones unless I want to have nightmares for the rest of my life . I prefer (relatively) clean humor, like Fruits Basket, Minami-Ke, FMP? Fumoffu and the first/last episodes of Higurashi Rei. (Not so much stuff like Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-Chan or Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai) If anyone has some good recommendations, they will be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old 2009-09-27, 08:37   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hayate the Combat Butler

Ranma 1/2

Lucky Star
Old 2009-09-27, 08:52   Link #3
grimjaw123

school rumble

if you want humour then school rumble all the way i cryed with joy when i watched this it is just plane halirious

Old 2009-09-27, 12:47   Link #4
Scorch

Azumanga Daioh. It's about a group of girls in high school. Character archetypes include the genius, the genki girl, the fairly normal one with some odd quirks, the shy and cool one, the kind of slow witted and very strange one, their insane homeroom teacher, and some others. Hijinks ensue.

School Rumble seconded.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. It's a relentless parody of pretty much everything it can think of. The main character is pessimistic and constantly declares "I'M IN DESPAIR!!!". His class is full of incredibly messed up students eg a constantly optimistic girl who misinterprets everything and a student who demands that everything be precise and correct. And a stalker.
Old 2009-09-28, 12:51   Link #5
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. It's a relentless parody of pretty much everything it can think of. The main character is pessimistic and constantly declares "I'M IN DESPAIR!!!". His class is full of incredibly messed up students eg a constantly optimistic girl who misinterprets everything and a student who demands that everything be precise and correct. And a stalker.
I wouldn't call SZS "relatively clean humor," and considering the OP is looking for something specifically not disturbing... I mean, I love SZS and I think it's hilarious, but the whole babies hanging from the ceiling thing... and Chiri's affinity for the shovel... I mean if you don't mind extending your list of awesomely disturbing shows, I'd definitely recommend it, but...

I'd suggest the Aria series. Humor is not really the central theme but there is plenty of light humor throughout, it's about as clean and innocent as any anime you'll ever watch, and considering how relaxed and optimistic the show is, I think it's the perfect thing to balance out the nightmare-inducing shows you've been watching recently.
Old 2009-09-28, 13:12   Link #6
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Minami-ke & its sequels are right up your ally. I laughed out loud a lot while watching it, you should enjoy it.
Old 2009-09-28, 13:17   Link #7
jedinat
フリーター

Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu is pretty much the funniest anime there is. Though Ichigo Mashimaro is also not too shabby.
Old 2009-09-28, 14:56   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Another good entry in the "cute girls doing cute things" category is Hidamari Sketch and its sequel HS x365. Not that many laugh-out-loud sequences but you'll be smiling throughout.

Chi's Sweet Home and its sequel Chi's New Address are funny and sometimes touching shows about a young kitty living with a Japanese family. The first season was subbed; the sequel is on Crunchyroll. Each episode is only three minutes long so you can watch a few when you have a couple of moments to spare.

Dennou Coil has many funny sequences in the first half, but it becomes decidedly darker and more serious in the second half. Despite that it's such a wonderful show that I think everyone should give it a try.

Nodame Cantabile is another possibility, though like Coil it becomes more serious, though not so dark, in the later episodes.

Seconds for School Rumble and Hale+Guu.
Old 2009-09-29, 01:36   Link #9
Albafica
Pisces no saint

School Rumble and Azumanga Daioh are really funny in my opinion. Great Teacher Onizuka is cool too.
Old 2009-09-30, 21:50   Link #10
Vashar

I loved FMP Fumoffu and School Rumble and recommend them as well. They're two of my favorites. Ranma 1/2 and Nodami Cantabile were also funny. I'm also looking for a comedy fix, so I'm going through this thread too hoping to get recommendations and kind of have similar taste to the OP's.

Hidamari Sketch was cute, but kind of shallow and uninteresting. Miname-ke Okawari was slow and boring. Sorry, those suggestions weren't really up my alley. Sensei Zetsubo was kind of wierd... didn't really set a comedy mood.

I don't really like parodies like Excel Saga and Hayate the Combat butler and wierd fetish anime like girl wizards like... uh, the one short blonde haired one with a japanese boy familair and Negima. I didn't like Kannagi either. I just don't really have the experience to understand many of the jokes and tend to start with a poor impression when watching shows with really young (pre-teen) main characters.

Wierd violence is... hmm... if it's original maybe, but if it's slap stick, I don't really like it. That one show with the angel with this spiky club that makes peoples' head explode was kind of interesting. Not LOL funny, but more WTF funny.

Strangely, Candy boy was kind of funny though I don't think I could get into that genre.

I'm looking up Hare+Guu now.

Last edited by Vashar; 2009-10-01 at 11:24. Reason: Not the split personality of the OP. Just looking for recommendations too.
Old 2009-09-30, 22:29   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashar View Post
Sorry, those suggestions weren't really up my alley.
I don't know about the other contributors, but I was directing my suggestions to ChibiBear and focusing on her criterion of "clean" humor. I'm glad you enjoyed some of my suggestions though!

Perhaps you're really ChibiBear's alternate personality? I'd invest in a few sessions with a psychiatrist if that's the case
Old 2009-09-30, 23:28   Link #12
Vashar

No, I just didn't want to make a new thread since the OP was looking for something similar.

I had watched all that beforehand.

I can't find Hare+Guu anywhere (trustworthy), so I'm instead checking out Detroit Metal City. I found manga tl scans and anime fansub DL here.

http://scum-scans.com/projects/detroit-metal-city/
Old 2009-09-30, 23:50   Link #13
ChibiBear
Aim's Stalker ^_~

LOL alternate personality? That made my day

Thanks for the help everyone ^^

Glad you liked most of the suggestions too Vasher I watched half an episode of Bokusatsu Tenshi (The angel with the spikey club) and went... O.o What the hell?!?!?!?
Old 2009-10-01, 00:08   Link #14
LC
Shocking Pink

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Hajime no Ippo
Cowboy Bebop
Great Teacher Onizuka
Ouran High School Host Club
Nodame Cantabile
NANA
Fullmetal Alchemist
Skip Beat!
Clannad
Old 2009-10-01, 11:16   Link #15
Vashar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Haze View Post
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Hajime no Ippo
Cowboy Bebop
Great Teacher Onizuka
Ouran High School Host Club
Nodame Cantabile
NANA
Fullmetal Alchemist
Skip Beat!
Clannad
Your list has all very high quality anime. Not all have significant comedy to be considered a "good humour" though.

Skip Beat was funny. I watched that and I'd recommend it too - wacky emotional reactions of a girl. GTO, I don't remember exactly how funny but I would recommend that too - school life with a teacher that doesn't really have any "professional" skills, but his skills from his delinquent days help his students in other ways. Nodame... lol gyubu... recommended because the lead female acts so childish but is surprisingly talented and full of heart.

Ippo as a comedy... hmm. It's surely a great one and has funny moments, but it's atmosphere is something else. Inspires determination and builds energy more than anything else for me.

I finished Detroit Metal City and have to say I haven't truly LOL'd so much in a long time at an anime. The first half had at least half a dozen LOLs *each*. It got kind of slow towards the end to focus more on the story, but it very much satisfied my need of a comedy fix.
Old 2009-10-01, 18:57   Link #16
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Seto no Hanayome <3
Old 2009-10-01, 19:03   Link #17
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBear View Post
LOL alternate personality? That made my day
Well, this is the "good humor" thread after all. Here's another recommendation:

Old 2009-10-01, 19:55   Link #18
ChibiBear
Aim's Stalker ^_~

O.o Healthy ice-cream?? Lemme guess, American? LOL

Will get around to watching all of these when my internet speeds up again
Old 2009-10-02, 19:43   Link #19
Niji

Seconding Chi's Sweet Home and Chi's New Adress. If you like cats, and you just want a smile on your face, watch it

I also found "oh! Edo rocket" quite funny, and also I hear good things of "Yakitate!! Japan"
Old 2009-10-05, 02:52   Link #20
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

It's been said plenty, but Great Teacher Onizuka was quite hilarious. I'd also suggest checking out Those Who Hunt Elves, and IMyMe: Strawberry Eggs.