AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think that given the US laws, Polasnki should be judged for the crime he has d
Yes 41 85.42%
No 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-09-29, 14:11   Link #41
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
The US "Justice?" System.

Los Angeles Police Department

They think Polanski was a stain to LAPD's reputation.
I thought they forgot about him... but i guess not.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 14:47   Link #42
autobachs
Banned

There is no dispute about his guilt. His later success only helped to illustrate what's wrong with the entertainment business, European justice and the decline of public morals. He is NOT some lamb lead to the slaughter by some Judas goat. He is the Judas goat!
autobachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 15:13   Link #43
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

As a believer of meritocracy I was going to come and defend Polansky on the basis of his past work, but given the tendency this thread is showing I think I would be lynched.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 15:16   Link #44
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
As a believer of meritocracy I was going to come and defend Polansky on the basis of his past work, but given the tendency this thread is showing I think I would be lynched.
Then why you posted ?

How can you forgive someone because of his past work ? He commited a crime, he must go to jail. There is no exeption.
Old 2009-09-29, 15:17   Link #45
autobachs
Banned

Quote:
Roman Polanski Case: Does France Love Child-Rapists, Movie Directors, or Both?
Old 2009-09-29, 15:18   Link #46
autobachs
Banned

I'm gonna make it clear and simple.
Anybody that flees the USA, after pleading guilty, while on bail awaiting sentencing deserves to be dragged back kicking and screaming!
Old 2009-09-29, 15:23   Link #47
Proto

Quote:
How can you forgive someone because of his past work ? He commited a crime, he must go to jail. There is no exeption.
Meritocracy. If he is jail he is no longer useful in society, moreover he becomes a leech esque being. Outside of jail he would be able to do more contributions to the movie culture world than he would otherwise. Of course I wouldn't mind him going to jail when he retires and is no longer useful. Actually, this 'look to the other side' tacit agreement that had worked for ~35 years can be considered to have been something on these lines.
Old 2009-09-29, 15:28   Link #48
autobachs
Banned

Well, I wonder how forgiving & charitable the Hollywood types would be if their under-aged daughter, niece, sister... was drugged and raped; only to have the rapist serve 40+ days and flee the country?

For those who keep yammering on about how long its been (30+ yrs), they need to keep in mind that Nazi war-criminals are still being held ACCOUNTABLE. Just a couple years ago an 86 yr. old former Nazi was deported and no one can dispute the fact that his crimes were committed long ago.
Old 2009-09-29, 15:28   Link #49
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobachs View Post
I'm gonna make it clear and simple.
Anybody that flees the USA, after pleading guilty, while on bail awaiting sentencing deserves to be dragged back kicking and screaming!
Congratulations. You just opened a pretext for invading European countries.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 15:30   Link #50
autobachs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
Congratulations. You just opened a pretext for invading European countries.
I meant US citizens! if you want to split hairs then go ahead.
Old 2009-09-29, 15:31   Link #51
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobachs View Post
US citizens if you want to split hairs.
I mean invade countries harboring criminals wanted in the USA.
Old 2009-09-29, 15:32   Link #52
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Meritocracy. If he is jail he is no longer useful in society, moreover he becomes a leech esque being. Outside of jail he would be able to do more contributions to the movie culture world than he would otherwise. Of course I wouldn't mind him going to jail when he retires and is no longer useful. Actually, this 'look to the other side' tacit agreement that had worked for ~35 years can be considered to have been something on these lines.
Spoiler for Come here, there's an ancient device that i want you to try:

Joke aside , i'll just say that I strongly disagree with you. The laws are the same for everyone, whether you're a peon or a famous and rich person.

There's no "meritocracy", so there's no reason to apply something like that to him.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-09-29 at 15:42.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 15:34   Link #53
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη

I really don't understand the need to punish him after 30 years, considering that the child molested by Polanski got over it long time ago, and he had already suffered the consequences and got acquitted at the end in the eyes of the community he belongs to, and a non-negligible portion of the society. Yes, his troubled past might have a lot to do with this, and also his actions afterwards telling that it was a single bad mistake not an incident of repetitive nature.

I also didn't understand, if those really happened at the time, why he was given the freedom to flee the country. To me it is a bit late to search for justice, even though it may look as the right thing to do. I think people need to hear what the victim says about this case.
Old 2009-09-29, 15:36   Link #54
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
I really don't understand the need to punish him after 30 years, considering that the child molested by Polanski got over it long time ago, and he had already suffered the consequences and got acquitted at the end in the eyes of the community he belongs to, and a non-negligible portion of the society. Yes, his troubled past might have a lot to do with this, and also his actions afterwards telling that it was a single bad mistake not an incident of repetitive nature.
You mean which community? Movies producers? That has no legal value.

Quote:
I also didn't understand, if those really happened at the time, why he was given the freedom to flee the country. To me it is a bit late to search for justice, even though it may look as the right thing to do. I think people need to hear what the victim says about this case.
Learn to read. No one gave him the right to flee.
Old 2009-09-29, 15:44   Link #55
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
Spoiler for Come here, there's an ancient device that i want you to try:

Joke aside , i'll just say that I strongly disagree with you. The laws are the same for everyone, whether you're a peon or a famous and rich person.

There's no "meritocracy", so there's no reason to apply something like that to him.
Of course there is no meritocracy law, otherwise you would have all the meritless people crying foul. In the modern world meritocracy takes place in the form of under the table and look to the other side deals.
Old 2009-09-29, 15:48   Link #56
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
You mean which community? Movies producers? That has no legal value.
The community which tries to give people a message using their art. It may not have a legal value, but they are people of this country/world, hence their opinions do also count as one. You may despise them, you may hate them. That doesn't change the fact that they represent a view. And unless we are living under a dictatorship, their views do count.

Quote:
Learn to read. No one gave him the right to flee.
"Under the terms set by the court, he was permitted to travel abroad." I used a different wording to suggest something of similar sort. I think you should learn to read, before ordering others to do so.
Old 2009-09-29, 15:49   Link #57
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Of course there is no meritocracy law, otherwise you would have all the meritless people crying foul. In the modern world meritocracy takes place in the form of under the table and look to the other side deals.
And you would not expect the meritless people crying foul?

BTW, I personally think that he has no more merits than a normal citizen. It would be too easy to say that many people are meritless. For example, a poor person who never succeed in life would have no merit and would go directly to prison in comparison to somebody like Polanski.

You can't apply something like that without clear laws, and a sense of equality between people. Good luck on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
The community which tries to give people a message using their art. It may not have a legal value, but they are people of this country/world, hence their opinions do also count as one. You may despise them, you may hate them. That doesn't change the fact that they represent a view. And unless we are living under a dictatorship, their views do count.
That still has no legal value.

Quote:
"Under the terms set by the court, he was permitted to travel abroad." I used a different wording to suggest something of similar sort. I think you should learn to read, before ordering others to do so.
That doesn't include to flee, but to do what you're allowed to do, then to come back.

Last edited by Narona; 2009-09-29 at 15:52. Reason: *can't
Old 2009-09-29, 15:49   Link #58
Thingle
Banned

The US "Justice" System got outmaneuvered. Getting him kicking and screaming isn't an equally cunning way to do a tit-for tat
Old 2009-09-29, 15:52   Link #59
Iorguzzu

Too bad, Polanski was a very good director, many movies for Oscar!
Old 2009-09-29, 15:55   Link #60
Thingle
Banned

A very cunning one too. Slipping out when opportunity knocked. Too bad one stupid flight to switzerland ruined it all.