AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-10-10, 12:23   Link #161
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkBattousai View Post
^ He must have lived through a hard life to obtain that title. Just consider Zoro's life, how hard Zoro trains, what pains he endured even in his childhood. I'm sure Mihawk had an interesting past too, also I'm positive that he has a reason to be the best swordsman in the world. He could not be a pirate, he is not one to rob people for wealth. Zoro wasn't a pirate hunter as well, just people called him so. He was hunting pirates for money to eat.
Well the fact he's a Shichibukai means he was doing SOMETHING criminally active before accepting the title.

S'pose we can't say for sure that he used to be a pirate or not though, cause we don't know much about him. =/

But you're right, I'm sure there's a reason Mihawk felt he needed to become the best swordsman.
__________________
SilverSyko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 14:23   Link #162
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Actually i think your misinterpreting the scene... When Mihawk draws his sword against Luffy, it's not Mihawk testing himself, it's Mihawk testing Luffy...

Because of Shanks, Mihawk has come to the belief that Luffy is destined to be the figure head of the next generation; he is now testing Luffy's fate... if Luffy fails to survive against Mihawk, then fate has failed him and he is no golden child... If Luffy survives or manages to escape from a foe more powerful than himself, then fate is smiling on him and he may truly be destined for great things

That's the meaning behind Mihawk's last line... will fate favor Luffy, or will he die here... it's not about Mihawk, it's about Luffy


I dunno, I still sort of have the feeling that Mihawk is testing himself as much as he is testing Luffy. Remember how, just a few chapters back, we saw how he wanted to test himself against Whitebeard (or in his own words, guage the distance between them)? I'm getting a similar vibe from this encounter, but instead of challenging Whitebeard, he's challenging not only Luffy, but fate itself. He wants to be absolutely certain whether or not Luffy will be the one to rise to the top of the new age. Even if he doesn't see Luffy as a future rival as he does with Zoro, he still recognizes him as a true diamond in the rough, and is willing to witness for himself just how brightly he will shine......
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 14:56   Link #163
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
While Hancock has been very impressive with her fighting abilities so far, a big part of the reason why she seems so powerful is because no significant character has actually attacked her yet. Smoker's main target in this war is Luffy, and his attempts to subdue him are constantly being thwarted by Hancock. Him being kicked and having his seastone jutte weapon destroyed only happened because he was caught off guard/wasn't focused on Hancock at all. I understand that Oda is trying to make Hancock look as formidable as the other warlords, but I think he could have handled this better. I want to see how she would fare when a competent fighter strikes her back. Unfortunately, this is probably not going to happen because Oda doesn't like to depict violence towards his female characters. Sadly, that makes his females always seem weaker, more fragile, and inferior in comparison to the males in this story.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 15:30   Link #164
sanzo
33million Humming Brook
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ask me no questions and ill tell u no lies
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
While Hancock has been very impressive with her fighting abilities so far, a big part of the reason why she seems so powerful is because no significant character has actually attacked her yet. Smoker's main target in this war is Luffy, and his attempts to subdue him are constantly being thwarted by Hancock. Him being kicked and having his seastone jutte weapon destroyed only happened because he was caught off guard/wasn't focused on Hancock at all. I understand that Oda is trying to make Hancock look as formidable as the other warlords, but I think he could have handled this better. I want to see how she would fare when a competent fighter strikes her back. Unfortunately, this is probably not going to happen because Oda doesn't like to depict violence towards his female characters. Sadly, that makes his females always seem weaker, more fragile, and inferior in comparison to the males in this story.
You kidding me. Miss monday got destroyed by zoro. and Remember how much abuse robin took from spandam.
sanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 16:29   Link #165
Rainbowman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 1431 Highland Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanzo View Post
You kidding me. Miss monday got destroyed by zoro. and Remember how much abuse robin took from spandam.
FYI, Miss Monday wasn't destroyed by Zoro but rather Miss Valentine's Day.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 19:25   Link #166
FoxxFireArt
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
While Hancock has been very impressive with her fighting abilities so far, a big part of the reason why she seems so powerful is because no significant character has actually attacked her yet. Smoker's main target in this war is Luffy, and his attempts to subdue him are constantly being thwarted by Hancock. Him being kicked and having his seastone jutte weapon destroyed only happened because he was caught off guard/wasn't focused on Hancock at all. I understand that Oda is trying to make Hancock look as formidable as the other warlords, but I think he could have handled this better. I want to see how she would fare when a competent fighter strikes her back. Unfortunately, this is probably not going to happen because Oda doesn't like to depict violence towards his female characters. Sadly, that makes his females always seem weaker, more fragile, and inferior in comparison to the males in this story.

Boa is powerful enough as a user of both haki and devil fruit powers. With Haki Smoker can be hurt. I doubt she became as Shichibukai due to some employee standards. I believe it's unknown if any other member of the Shichibukai have haki abilities. Kuma deflected attacks with his paw abilities. I'm not sure if Jinbei uses haki in his fishman karate, or if he's just incredibly strong.

I just find it annoying that just as things get picked up, the manga is taking a weeks break.
__________________
* * Visit Foxxfire Art for weekly Code Geass 4komas * *

Last edited by FoxxFireArt; 2009-10-11 at 06:41.
FoxxFireArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 00:02   Link #167
andy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
...........................

Last edited by andy; 2009-10-11 at 00:21. Reason: change my mind
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 10:14   Link #168
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Obviously, someone is going to jump in and intercept Mihawk. Mihawk will just shrug it off and play along and fight whoever jumps in to save Luffy's bacon.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 10:18   Link #169
hkBattousai
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
^ Someone must keep Mihawk busy. I am expecting a scene in which Luffy stops and speak to his grandfather in an emotional way with an appropriate background music. In my opinion the one who will interfere will be really strong.
hkBattousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 10:26   Link #170
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In a class of my own.
I saw an interesting debate developing up there, where someone had apparently noted that if a fight were to break out between Luffy and Mihawk, and Luffy were to win, that Zoro may lash out at Luffy.

I think that so far, Zoro has been shown to display a form of Bushido, and a few of the submissive characteristics that a Samurai traditionally showed to his lord -- toward Luffy.

I believe that, should Luffy defeat Mihawk, Zoro would just take it as a sign that, as it should be, Luffy as captain is stronger than him, or at least at his level.

From another point of view, I wouldn't be surprised if Luffy just makes it clear to Mihawk that should they fight, he would win, and then, in honour of Zoro's struggle, leave the fight open ended and run away.

From a more exciting point of view, Zoro may, should Luffy defeat Mihawk, view Luffy as his new benchmark, and we would get to see the end of the original Zoro vs. Luffy.

The third scenario is most anticipation, imho.
__________________
Rev. Niemöller, on Nazi Germany:

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
holypanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 10:43   Link #171
hkBattousai
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
I believe that, should Luffy defeat Mihawk, Zoro would just take it as a sign that, as it should be, Luffy as captain is stronger than him, or at least at his level.
I don't think comparing Luffy and Zoro would make any sense. Because Zoro is using a weapon and Luffy is not. If you make them fight without using swords, Luffy would win, if you give swords to both of them and make them fight, Zoro would win. They are fighting at different classes, so it doesn't make any sense to decide who is stronger. As someone said in this thread earlier, One Piece isn't like Dragon Ball, not always the one with higher power level is the winner.

By the way, I don't think Zoro is a good swordsman. He can't fight using a sword. He needs three swords to fight. You may say that it is his own style, but one thing is sure that if someone is not able to use one sword to fight against another one-sword fighter he is not a good swordsman. I mean swordsmanship and the Santouryou technique are different things.
hkBattousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 11:06   Link #172
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
^You might want to talk to Miyamoto Musashi, the inventor of Niten Ichi-ryuu (Two Sword style), and one of the greatest swordsmen of all time. He might disagree with you...

That being said, Zoro defeated the legendary swordsman Ryuuma with just one sword...and he defeated Mr. 1 with just one sword. In fact, several of his battles end with him defeating his opponent with just one sword...

In the end, it's not the number of swords that make a swordsmen, it is what the person does with the sword.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 11:14   Link #173
andy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Zoro defeated the legendary swordsman Ryuuma with just one sword...and he defeated Mr. 1 with just one sword. In fact, many of his battles end with him defeating his opponent with just one sword...
I was just about to say that , being a swordsman does not depend one using only 1 sword. Some people fight using a sword and a short sword (forget the names).

In fact zoro has been using more that one sword style. In some attacks he only uses 2 swords.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 11:30   Link #174
hkBattousai
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
^^ Though once again and considered what you said, I'm not that serious that Zoro is a bad swordsman.
There are some fights Zoro made which prevail what I said in my previous message, like his fight against Captain Kuro's hypnotized two crew members. Zoro couldn't beat them if Nami hadn't thrown him his second and third swords. Or remember his fight with Arlong (I know Zoro was heavily injured that time), he again needed two more swords (which Yasoku gave to him). While fighting with Tashigi, he drew a second sword to best her. Scenes like those make Zoro look like he can't fight with a single sword.
hkBattousai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 12:27   Link #175
andy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkBattousai View Post
^^ Though once again and considered what you said, I'm not that serious that Zoro is a bad swordsman.
There are some fights Zoro made which prevail what I said in my previous message, like his fight against Captain Kuro's hypnotized two crew members. Zoro couldn't beat them if Nami hadn't thrown him his second and third swords. Or remember his fight with Arlong (I know Zoro was heavily injured that time), he again needed two more swords (which Yasoku gave to him). While fighting with Tashigi, he drew a second sword to best her. Scenes like those make Zoro look like he can't fight with a single sword.
But there also scenes where he won using only 1 sword .Plus all those fights you just call where at start of the manga . In time we have seen zoro winning with using only one sword . In the last one on one fight he had, he won using one sword which was at TB.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 13:10   Link #176
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanzo View Post
You kidding me. Miss monday got destroyed by zoro. and Remember how much abuse robin took from spandam.
Those cases were very mild. They pale in comparison to what I'm talking about. I'm waiting for Oda to show us a serious fight between a female and a male. For example, in the last chapter Smoker gave Luffy a really hard punch to the face (Chapter 559 - Page 12 - Bottom Panel). Would Oda actually be willing to have that kind of powerful blow being dealt towards someone like Hancock? I'm skeptical on this matter given his tendency to not depict that same level of brutality where his females are concerned.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 13:15   Link #177
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
^He's willing to show a similar level of bruatlity (can't hurt the face (or the breasts ) too much though), but only when women are dealing the damage (like Miss Doublefinger shoving 'spikes' through Nami). As for Hancock, if she is really as high level as Sengoku and others have claimed, then she sould be able to defeat Smoker with little damage anyway, but your point still stands. Let's put her up against DoFlamingo or Marco and see what happens .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkBattousai View Post
^^ Though once again and considered what you said, I'm not that serious that Zoro is a bad swordsman.
There are some fights Zoro made which prevail what I said in my previous message, like his fight against Captain Kuro's hypnotized two crew members. Zoro couldn't beat them if Nami hadn't thrown him his second and third swords. Or remember his fight with Arlong (I know Zoro was heavily injured that time), he again needed two more swords (which Yasoku gave to him). While fighting with Tashigi, he drew a second sword to best her. Scenes like those make Zoro look like he can't fight with a single sword.
I still don't get what your talking about. Who cares if he fights with 1, 2, 3 or even 5 swords. It is not the number of swords that matter, it's what you do with them, and how you use them.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 16:36   Link #178
andy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
The question with Boa is , would smoker even be able to get hit a like that on her in the first place. Boa look like she is close combat expert i don't think there much chars that want to brawl with her. Also with her , certain moves turn you to stone. Oda made her close combat monster with haki and stone 1 hit moves. Kind of hard for someone to get into a fist fight with her.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 18:37   Link #179
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
The question with Boa is , would smoker even be able to get hit a like that on her in the first place.
I don't see why he wouldn't. Anyone can hit Hancock provided that they are fast enough and that she doesn't react in time to block/defend herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Boa look like she is close combat expert i don't think there much chars that want to brawl with her.Also with her , certain moves turn you to stone. Oda made her close combat monster with haki and stone 1 hit moves. Kind of hard for someone to get into a fist fight with her.
While it's true that Hancock does excel at close quarters combat, she hasn't shown us any long range attacks, and that could potentially be a problem for her. There are plenty of characters that could deal with her by fighting at a distance away from her.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 18:49   Link #180
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
While it's true that Hancock does excel at close quarters combat, she hasn't shown us any long range attacks, and that could potentially be a problem for her. There are plenty of characters that could deal with her by fighting at a distance away from her.
She showed us her bullet that she used against luffy, as well as firing a volley of arrows that turn people to stone
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.