AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-10-10, 21:57   Link #241
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Anyway, I wonder if KyoAni might start using English subtitles more often? They know there is a small market outside Japan that would pay JP prices for the discs, and as long as it doesn't cost them too much to put in subs I don't see why they can't tap into the Western market slightly.
Obviously the price difference means they can't fully compete with Region 1 DVDs, but as long as it turns a profit, why not?
Well, it isn't really Kyoto Animation's doing at all, but I think it makes sense for publishers to do this for a show like Haruhi where they know that there's an International audience that's passionate enough about the show to appreciate the gesture. For most of the shows I buy on Japanese DVD/BD, I think I'd be hard-pressed to make the business case, since I can't exactly see it resulting in a significant increase in sales. I think the case is a little bit stronger on Blu-Ray, though, since Japan and the U.S. are in the same region (and many shows are region-free anyway), so I would certainly like to see more publishers go this route. Time will tell, though... I'm not holding my breath.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 22:56   Link #242
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, it isn't really Kyoto Animation's doing at all, but I think it makes sense for publishers to do this for a show like Haruhi where they know that there's an International audience that's passionate enough about the show to appreciate the gesture. For most of the shows I buy on Japanese DVD/BD, I think I'd be hard-pressed to make the business case, since I can't exactly see it resulting in a significant increase in sales. I think the case is a little bit stronger on Blu-Ray, though, since Japan and the U.S. are in the same region (and many shows are region-free anyway), so I would certainly like to see more publishers go this route. Time will tell, though... I'm not holding my breath.
So far only Bandai and Gonzo seem to be offering that. I think only the really big publishers can afford it. One of those is Kadokawa Shoten which has it's own Youtube channel, but of course being the insanely marketing oriented company that it is they've mainly used it for advertising and music videoish/advertising clips. The erogeish trailer for the movie is already up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post

People that are true artists don't dick around for the hell of it or for teh lulz, they always have a reason.
What would you define as a "true artist"? I still think the simplest explanation is that they really though they were being clever with all the gimmicks and such and have come to realize that well.....the response was lukewarm at best.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 23:01   Link #243
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What would you define as a "true artist"?
Nagaru Tanigawa.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 23:12   Link #244
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Oh boy, how the hell did I miss this? School work must have been getting to me at last. Or maybe it's the new relationship distracting me.

Nevertheless, great news, and just as I thought they'd do it too! Looking forward to it mightily.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 23:15   Link #245
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Nagaru Tanigawa.
I'm trying to think of a way to say this without sounding condescending, but Tanigawa is an entertainer of otaku long before he's a true artist.

I have to wonder at the polar opposite positions that some people can have while ironically aiming at the same goal of defending this series. One group will say that it's art and that's the reason behind the whole Endless Eight idea while another will say that it's just trying to be entertaining and thus people shouldn't get upset when it's marketed so aggressively and or doesn't live up to one's standards. Neither of them make much sense to me personally which is why I still go with the idea that they thought people in the west would all get on the bandwagon no matter what they did with the franchise, which was a reasonable expectation a few years ago during the peak of the franchises popularity, but as has been seen doesn't really work now.

There are getting to be less and less guarantees in the industry now on many levels which means things are probably going to start changing soon. I hope it's for the better and that things start getting less otaku-centric as has been the trend for a while now. I agree that a good start is to try and reach out more to the west again instead of giving the impression that they consider it a lost cause. Namco Bandai I think has the best ideas so far in that regard with the simulcasting and consistently strong presence at North American anime conventions. Some easy/west mergers probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. Perhaps Bandai could partner up with Funimation in the mutual interest of saving the North American regions viability as a market.

Anyway that's a lot to say for just a name drop, but I'm in a bit of thinking mood tonight so that's my splurge of text.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 23:55   Link #246
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I'm trying to think of a way to say this without sounding condescending, but Tanigawa is an entertainer of otaku long before he's a true artist.
I'm only familiar with some of his Haruhi work, but I was genuinely impressed with his Novel 4 work. Significantly less so with Novel 2, though, where he kind of overdid Haruhi and Kyon's negative character aspects, I think. The anime genuinely improved on the novel here, imo.

However, Novel 4 is a very nice, tight, short read. Now, it's no Citizen Kane, but I felt it was a solid story that did a great job with the genre of sci-fi teenage drama. I still maintain that it's an awesome book for early-to-mid teens that are into sci-fi; I would have loved it when I was a Star Trek: TNG fan back in the early 90s as a Junior High student. At my current age, I like it a fair bit, but I can tell I would have liked it even more as a kid.

What impresses me the most about Tanigawa is how good he is with handling plots, especially given how big a part time travel plays in Haruhi. I also like some of the quirky little stuff, like having Haruhi humming classical music of all things.


Quote:

I have to wonder at the polar opposite positions that some people can have while ironically aiming at the same goal of defending this series. One group will say that it's art and that's the reason behind the whole Endless Eight idea while another will say that it's just trying to be entertaining and thus people shouldn't get upset when it's marketed so aggressively and or doesn't live up to one's standards. Neither of them make much sense to me personally which is why I still go with the idea that they thought people in the west would all get on the bandwagon no matter what they did with the franchise, which was a reasonable expectation a few years ago during the peak of the franchises popularity, but as has been seen doesn't really work now.
I think that they did overestimate the fanbase's willingness to accept virtually any sort of new Haruhi episodes. Now, it wasn't a "troll"; they really did think that the fans would like it or at least accept it with a slight smile.


Quote:

There are getting to be less and less guarantees in the industry now on many levels which means things are probably going to start changing soon. I hope it's for the better and that things start getting less otaku-centric as has been the trend for a while now. I agree that a good start is to try and reach out more to the west again instead of giving the impression that they consider it a lost cause. Namco Bandai I think has the best ideas so far in that regard with the simulcasting and consistently strong presence at North American anime conventions. Some easy/west mergers probably wouldn't be a bad idea either. Perhaps Bandai could partner up with Funimation in the mutual interest of saving the North American regions viability as a market.

Anyway that's a lot to say for just a name drop, but I'm in a bit of thinking mood tonight so that's my splurge of text.
Huge agreement with you here Kaoshin. I completely agree with all of this.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 00:02   Link #247
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Anyway, I wonder if KyoAni might start using English subtitles more often?
This has nothing to do with Kyoani and everything to do with Kadokawa.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 00:06   Link #248
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think that they did overestimate the fanbase's willingness to accept virtually any sort of new Haruhi episodes. Now, it wasn't a "troll"; they really did think that the fans would like it or at least accept it with a slight smile.
As I said before, this is the discussion that people just won't let die, and really doesn't have its place in the Movie thread. But I will say that I'm wholly convinced that it was designed to provoke. Then again, so is all anime. Food for thought.

Anyway, for this thread, let's try to stay focused.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 02:48   Link #249
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache Thunder View Post
It's just not a Haruhi movie/TV episode without Kyon's narration. I don't see Kyoni dropping that. It would be a pretty dumb move on their part if they did. :P
I think you're mistaking his narration and his thoughts for one another. While they do mix from time to time, the narration is almost always absent from the anime, save a few monologues in Melancholy and... well, the entirety of Episode 00.
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 03:04   Link #250
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Rio
I only heard of it today(i haven't watched Haruhi since the end of sighs). Man, this is going to be totally awesome. Movies = Win. Bigged budget, better animation, better everything(well... Hopefully). Besides, it's a nice way to show disappearance after so much waiting.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 04:02   Link #251
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I think you're mistaking his narration and his thoughts for one another. While they do mix from time to time, the narration is almost always absent from the anime, save a few monologues in Melancholy and... well, the entirety of Episode 00.
They added one of his monologues to Mysterique Sign for the DVDs, as well.

It's probably the creepiest he ever gets, so I'm glad it was there.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 05:59   Link #252
Solachinx
is a myth
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: FL
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Solachinx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What would you define as a "true artist"? I still think the simplest explanation is that they really thought they were being clever with all the gimmicks and such and have come to realize that well.....the response was lukewarm at best.
Well, first off, I believe that the term "true artist" is one of those terms like "Mary Sue/Gary Stu" where they can differ in meaning to each person. But, to me, I believe a true artist is someone who does art simply because they like doing it; not for monetary or ego related things, just because they like to act/draw/write/scuplt/whathaveyou. Although it would be ne nice to make money off of something, it shouldn't be the true artist's main purpose.

When I said "true artists don't dick around for the hell of it," it's because most true artists take their job seriously and only make changes to something if they think it'll improve it.

ex. Pixar

I probably criticized myself at a couple points.
__________________
Trambampoline!
Solachinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 06:12   Link #253
ZenErik
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to ZenErik Send a message via MSN to ZenErik Send a message via Yahoo to ZenErik
Haven't watched the series yet, but I will pretty soon. And hopefully that'll get me excited for this movie.
ZenErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 08:12   Link #254
VentAileron
Aha~ha~ha~
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenErik View Post
Haven't watched the series yet, but I will pretty soon. And hopefully that'll get me excited for this movie.
Haha. You shouldn't do that just to get yourself excited. You'll regret it. Better wait till you almost got your hands on the movie itself, so you can spare yourself sleepless nights while counting the seconds before the movie starts to run in the Japanese theaters.

But if you can't wait to watch Haruhi in the first place. Then go ahead. Haruhi is worth watching to say the least.
VentAileron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 08:26   Link #255
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Just... keep in mind that there are 8 episodes in a row that are more or less identical.
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 08:48   Link #256
iHateApril3rd2009
Be Patient.
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Humid Singapore.
so everyone here seen the teaser?
__________________
Lul
iHateApril3rd2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 09:40   Link #257
FlashFumo
Wait, what?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateApril3rd2009 View Post
so everyone here seen the teaser?
It would be a surprise if anyone here hadn't.
__________________
FlashFumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 09:45   Link #258
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Otonokizaka
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFumo View Post
It would be a surprise if anyone here hadn't.
... Actually...
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 10:06   Link #259
SealkidHaruhiism
Haruhi Suzumiya rules!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
I heard that Kyoani wants to animate The Disappearance into a movie, because they wanted to vs. Black Rock Shooter TV anime for Spring 2010.

I think they'll release a trailer or a preview on Dec. 18,2009.
__________________
SealkidHaruhiism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 10:39   Link #260
Lost-Wisdom
Wis-dom-matic
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
If its going to be a movie, I can expect the animation will be superb. They can take their time on this.

It was hilarious though there were so many users expecting to be brought into the series but having it placed into a MOVIE is so much AWESOME.

It appreciates that Disappearances is one of the strongest Arcs, in my opinion.

Glad they decided to do this anyways.
Lost-Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.