AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-11-11, 04:48   Link #501
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I also think the series would be a lot more typical and nothing special without the Kyon character.
Finally something we agree upon. All one has to do to verify your argument is read what exists so far of the ironically titled Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu (The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan). That manga's Kyon is devoid of snark, and as a result has been reduced to the typical one-dimensional shoujo manga male lead. Boooring... Someone on that series needs to snap, and post-haste...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Part of the increase in adaptatons has to do with the economy and eventually something has got to give with the way anime is going, but I think somebody has already found the answer I am looking for and a way out. In chosing to forgoe a straight up adaptation of the original Mazinger story by Go Nagai and instead going with his own vision of what he felt it should be I think Yasuhiro Imagawa may have found the perfect bridge between adaptation and original series. This way you mix the power of a proven title that is sure to get executives to pay attention with the desire to have your own original ideas worked into a narrative. Now that's genius, but also another story since Haruhi's fanbase is the kind that I think would freak if Kyoani ever strayed from the source material (and in fact already did when it happened with Endless Eight) so the likelihood of it happening again in the movie seems slim to me.

I'll just end this post by saying I vastly prefer reimagining to adaptations and in a lot of cases even as much as "original" ideas.
Ugh, and so we diverge again... "Reimagining" of a "proven title" brings up bad memories of the darker and edgier Battlestar Galactica remake. At least we don't have to worry about the plot of the Disappearance movie turning into "everybody's sleeping with everybody else for no good reason".

We don't, right...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Will be interesting to see how good Kyoani's A-game is. It's major league time now

Wonder at what level of animation it will be.

Hopefully better then Shafts Shana. I'd be happy if it's near Bones' Eureka 7 movie or Madhouses Paprika. Production IG is going to be hard to match with GITS and PL, and I don't even dare to dream of Gainax' Honneamise.
Shana (in all its animated forms) is JC Staff, not Shaft. Although with the goofiness of the Shana-tan/Hecate-tan bits and the similarity of the (last half of one of the) names, I can understand the confusion. Off-topic, is it just me, or would the hypothetical conglomeration of studios "JC Shaft" not be the perfect studio to adapt "The World God Only Knows"?

As for KyoAni's hand at motion picture animation, I expect something akin to the best animated scenes of Kanon (that first official advert virtually screamed "sad Yuki in snow", after all), only more. Lots of realistic lighting effects, fluid animation, and (just to remind us again why E8 was inferior) solid character models.

Minus the alien female facial features, hopefully. (o - o) ja nai! Uguu~
Old 2009-11-11, 04:53   Link #502
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Minus the alien female facial features
Why doesn't Nagato get to have a face?

WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 05:18   Link #503
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Why doesn't Nagato get to have a face?

Maybe I should have said "'mutant' female facial features", and then I wouldn't have walked right into that one. ^_^

Any time the mouth is drawn at the same level as the eyes and is a factor of five or six times smaller, even when speaking (or auu~ing), there's something wrong (yes, I freely admit Mikuru got some of this treatment in Haruhi2006). And to think that KyoAni actually improved on the realism of Kanon's character models over the VN... I'm reminded somewhat of Keima's favorite eroge character in TWGOK... *shudders*
Old 2009-11-11, 06:10   Link #504
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Maybe I should have said "'mutant' female facial features", and then I wouldn't have walked right into that one. ^_^

Any time the mouth is drawn at the same level as the eyes and is a factor of five or six times smaller, even when speaking (or auu~ing), there's something wrong (yes, I freely admit Mikuru got some of this treatment in Haruhi2006). And to think that KyoAni actually improved on the realism of Kanon's character models over the VN... I'm reminded somewhat of Keima's favorite eroge character in TWGOK... *shudders*
The smaller mouth in relation to the eyes is actually fine, artistically.
The reason? Because the mouth has to be reasonably similar in width to the width of the nose. And since the nose is usually next to non-existent, the mouth can be small.

And the eyes, too; the eyes can be any size you like, they would still look reasonably acceptable to the viewer as long as the two eyes are spaced one-eye width apart. That's why large-eyed females have wide faces; they have to accommodate for the extra width in the center. It is also why extra-large eyes are made to extend vertically, so that the face wouldn't be stretched too much.
(edit: Ironically, if you extend the eyes vertically, you HAVE to make the nose small because there is less room on the face to put it. So the small mouth is caused by a small nose, which is in turn caused by large eyes.)

Sometimes what makes an acceptable face isn't if they are plausible in real life; it is if basic ratio rules are followed.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2009-11-11 at 06:38.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 06:33   Link #505
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Anyway, as I've stated before, 150 minutes means this movie is going to be kickass, no question about it.
Just heard about this and I am quite surprised by the news. Never though the movie would be this long.

Shame there's no hope whatsoever for a movie theater to show this around here.
Old 2009-11-11, 07:27   Link #506
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
WHY THE F*CK are plane tickets so expensive?

RyanAir and easyjet (the cheapest ones) don't even go to Japan. The cheapest I've found so far is 544 (GBP), and my max stretch for the flight alone is at the 400 mark... lol maybe that's being a bit TOO wishful

Ok... that was totally off topic but hey, is anyone else having a hard time looking for a cheap flight?

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 07:52   Link #507
Jintor

People are seriously flying over to Japan just to watch the movie? Ah, fandom.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 08:05   Link #508
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
People are seriously flying over to Japan just to watch the movie? Ah, fandom.
What's so strange about it? It will be premiered there. People have flew all over the world for lesser reasons. Going overseas to attend movie premieres is one of the more "normal' reason...

SZS anime once pointed out a Japanese soccer fan flew to Europe to attend a football game, but he went, knowing that the tickets had already sold out. He literally stood outside the stadium begging for tickets.
Old 2009-11-11, 08:11   Link #509
Jintor

Like I said, fandom.
Old 2009-11-11, 14:25   Link #510
Animexcel

Wow, this is like Dark Knight length, people. I'm very happy with this news

I think we should get a trailer soon.

Last edited by Animexcel; 2009-11-11 at 14:37.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 14:53   Link #511
Dakota
disregard that (″-)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Like I said, fandom.
Agreed, I'm just gonna sit here on my ass in Vermont until something appears on the internet. Then I'll buy the DVD either online or at a convention (prob. AnimeBoston). I don't suspect it to be in theaters in the US whatsoever. Even small "indie" theaters I know of in the New England would only play big-time anime movies, like Eva1.0. Although Death Note live action was at a Showcase in Revere. But that's live action.

Spending that much money for a plane ticket to see a movie is a little out of hand, and KyoAni is only going to reel in one more ticket price. But I guess if you're that rich, go for it. Japan is a cool place, after all.
Old 2009-11-11, 15:33   Link #512
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Finally something we agree upon. All one has to do to verify your argument is read what exists so far of the ironically titled Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu (The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan). That manga's Kyon is devoid of snark, and as a result has been reduced to the typical one-dimensional shoujo manga male lead. Boooring... Someone on that series needs to snap, and post-haste...
Yes. Disappear already, Nagato Yuki-chan, geez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animexcel View Post
I think we should get a trailer soon.
I'm banking on next month -- early Christmas present.
worldruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 17:21   Link #513
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Well, I am not a Haruhiist, but I can understand people wanting to travel there to see the movie.

Shit, I have always wanted to stay overnight in front of a japanese store and wait in one of those "Wanna buy the latest Final Fantasy" lines.

Besides, once you are there you can squeeze the trip as much as possible and see other things that could be of interest to you.
Old 2009-11-11, 17:28   Link #514
Jintor

I can see it as a 'seal the deal' kinda thing if you were planning to go over there already, but as a poor broke Uni student flying anywhere just to see a movie is currently way over my head. ==;;
Old 2009-11-11, 19:08   Link #515
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Japan is a cool place, after all.
Yeah that as well.
"Flying over to watch the movie" is a good excuse to go Japan in general

Still, if its over my budget, then its a no no.

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 19:31   Link #516
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

I'm suprised that people are actually going to fly over there in this kind of economy.

All Glory to the Greentext.
SgtHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 22:22   Link #517
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Otakus are well known to be 1337(leet)-spenders, even during a recession XD (they can save the economy)

So if we all imagine what the movie would be rated as... it would rate as...

___ 1.) Average (among the non-Haruhi fans)

___ 2.) Very good/exciting (among the well-balanced fans)

___ 3.) Epic power of legendary proportions raised to the power which is the number of loops during Endless Eight (among the Haruhiists)

Let's hope it's between #2 or #3... #1 won't be able to catch up anyway (with the number of Haruhiists in the party XD)

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 23:16   Link #518
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Japan is a cool place, after all.
Not all the time. It's rather hot in the summer. Though I suppose that won't be an issue when the movie comes out.

And I'd hope that the movie will rate as above average even among the non-Haruhi fans.
Old 2009-11-11, 23:20   Link #519
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
And I'd hope that the movie will rate as above average even among the non-Haruhi fans.
Well I doubt the movie will help introduce anyone into the construct of Haruhi. You'll probably have to have seen part of Haruhi at some point prior to have an understanding of and appreciation for the movie and it's character.
Old 2009-11-11, 23:25   Link #520
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Well I doubt the movie will help introduce anyone into the construct of Haruhi. You'll probably have to have seen part of Haruhi at some point prior to have an understanding of and appreciation for the movie and it's character.
True.

Best case scenario is that it brings back some, or all, of the fans that were lost due to the three-year layoff and/or disappointed in this year of Haruhi episodes.

Even that alone would be huge, though.

Tags
science fiction, shounen