AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-02-19, 01:45   Link #1201
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hot, Very Hot Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
He simply feels that the fans can lack objectivity and are blind to weaknesses and possible failings in the products. A lot of this is legacy from the early days of Haruhi when it was hype-central. I hope we don't have to re-kindle that whole discussion all over again for the nth time.

---

Regarding the exit survey, I would suspect that the ratings would be rather high because the opening weekend crowd will consist of a lot of novel readers and franchise fans, and it seems the movie was quite faithful to the novel overall. But that also fits the sort of movie this is with its limited release -- it's not really exactly a movie for "everyone" anyway, given that it picks up in the middle of a pre-established story. So in a sense these sort of rankings are probably more useful as an indicator of whether existing fans of the series will like it -- and, suffice it to say, signs point to yes. Don't know if it was ever meant to pull in new fans anyway; it's not that sort of movie.
I don't buy it. Is it necessary to nitpick at weaknesses and failings in works of art? Sure, do that for cars, computer products, cellphones etc. But when it comes to things like music and anime it's is a purely personal choice. I can hate rap all I want but it can be everything to someone else. And I won't attack rap in a rap forum just because I hate it. One man's meat is another man's poison, as they say.

Since you are a mod, delete this post if you feel that it's off topic. I just don't think that it's justified that he comes and posts unnecessary negative comments in here.
aegisofrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 04:34   Link #1202
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Santa Barbara
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
I don't buy it. Is it necessary to nitpick at weaknesses and failings in works of art? Sure, do that for cars, computer products, cellphones etc. But when it comes to things like music and anime it's is a purely personal choice. I can hate rap all I want but it can be everything to someone else. And I won't attack rap in a rap forum just because I hate it. One man's meat is another man's poison, as they say.
I don't buy it. Is it necessary to laud at strengths and successes in works of art? Sure, do that for cars, computer products, cellphones etc. But when it comes to things like music and anime it's a purely personal choice. I can love rap all I want but it can be nothing to someone else. And I won't praise rap in a rap forum just because I love it. One man's meat is another man's poison, as they say.

See what I just did there?
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 05:27   Link #1203
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hot, Very Hot Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I don't buy it. Is it necessary to laud at strengths and successes in works of art? Sure, do that for cars, computer products, cellphones etc. But when it comes to things like music and anime it's a purely personal choice. I can love rap all I want but it can be nothing to someone else. And I won't praise rap in a rap forum just because I love it. One man's meat is another man's poison, as they say.

See what I just did there?
Yes I do. Essentially my post had no point huh?

I get it you are telling me to just ignore Kaioshin's post?
aegisofrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 14:29   Link #1204
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Making people too mad to respond
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
Kaioshin, once upon a time (2 weeks ago to be exact), I thought you were just playing devil's advocate or doubting Thomas.

Now you are become just too obvious in your dislike of Haruhi. Why am I not surprised that your posts are full of anti-Haruhi rhetoric?

You don't like it, fine. But don't pour water on our parade.
You just have to accept the fact that not everyone is a huge fan of the series. Kaioshin Sama has made a number of valid points in this thread; they just got sorta redundant and irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

The second reairing of Haruhi just simply didn't impress some that much, and for those that thought the first season of Haruhi was good but not the most outstanding show, it certainly leads to skepticism. It doesn't mean they hate the show; it just means that it'll take a lot to impress them. If they hated Haruhi, they wouldn't even be interested in this at all.
__________________
God damn, there's so much bad fanservice out there. Touch me and I'll beat the crap out of you!
You are about to move into areas of the anime industry with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-20, 17:15   Link #1205
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 31
This was mostly my own fault, but I let the tangent get too far out of hand. I created a new thread called Speculation on the future of the Haruhi anime franchise, post-Disappearance, so that discussion can continue over there. I reserve the right to maybe merge into some other thread later if there's a better spot for it.

This thread is more specifically to discuss the movie, not what comes next.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 02:49   Link #1206
fish eric
like to talk to fish?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
You just have to accept the fact that not everyone is a huge fan of the series. Kaioshin Sama has made a number of valid points in this thread; they just got sorta redundant and irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

The second reairing of Haruhi just simply didn't impress some that much, and for those that thought the first season of Haruhi was good but not the most outstanding show, it certainly leads to skepticism. It doesn't mean they hate the show; it just means that it'll take a lot to impress them. If they hated Haruhi, they wouldn't even be interested in this at all.
You'd think that, but as Howard Stern proved. The most loyal of all his listeners were those that were critics of his show.

Doesn't make sense on paper, but it's true.
__________________
Sig removed by Mod (xris) because it exceeds the limits as requested in the forum rules. Plus, if you want to include text then the max height can only be 120 pixels.
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 05:31   Link #1207
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
You'd think that, but as Howard Stern proved. The most loyal of all his listeners were those that were critics of his show.

Doesn't make sense on paper, but it's true.
So he's tsundere?

Heh.
__________________
Skane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 05:33   Link #1208
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas, USA
Age: 23
I won't outright scream that it is the best movie ever without seeing it, but I'm greatly anticipating this film. The fact that it clocks in at a whopping 162 minutes just fuels my appetite. I have faith in KyoAni, and I think this will probably be a good movie.
__________________
MyAnimeList
- - - - -
Visual novel list
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Nagi no Asukara
Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie Part III: Rebellion (JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE HELL HOLY CRAP)
Wake Up, Girls!
Kill la Kill
The Garden of Words
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 07:30   Link #1209
Leo Keichi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gaijinland
I've read the novel and the story is very good, so there's no way the movie will be bad. I'm only concerned about the quality of the animation. I've got the feeling the guys of KyoAni got lazy recently and will never do anything with the visual quality of Clannad and Haruhi 1st season anymore. But they really should here, since this is a movie.
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 08:38   Link #1210
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Berlin, Fatherland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
I'm only concerned about the quality of the animation. I've got the feeling the guys of KyoAni got lazy recently and will never do anything with the visual quality of Clannad and Haruhi 1st season anymore.
Did you see the trailer? Did you read the reviews praising its top-notch animation quality? Genius.
__________________
Takamura Mamoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 08:40   Link #1211
darksassin
Is this dangerous??
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Unknown Void, M'sia
Well, according to the screenshot given, the quality is superb. The soundtrack is great. Idk about the framerate of the movie. does anyone now the fps of the movie?
__________________
darksassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 09:03   Link #1212
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 19
How is it, that ANIMATED movies, come out in maybe a year with only a year or so of production, while live action movies take 3 years? ><
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 09:19   Link #1213
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas, USA
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
How is it, that ANIMATED movies, come out in maybe a year with only a year or so of production, while live action movies take 3 years? ><
It's funny you say that, because in the US it is the other way around. I think US animators, especially in the 2-D department, demand too much money, so it is often more feasible to produce a live-action film.

Japan's animators, on the other hand, receive slave wages. There needs to be a balance in pay.
__________________
MyAnimeList
- - - - -
Visual novel list
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Nagi no Asukara
Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie Part III: Rebellion (JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE HELL HOLY CRAP)
Wake Up, Girls!
Kill la Kill
The Garden of Words
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 09:53   Link #1214
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Stage greetings are starting to be the norm now. Just a few moments ago on the official webpage, there is an announcement that on March 6th at the Keisei Rosa theatre there is yet another stage greeting following a showing of the Haruhi movie. The people that will come out after the movie:

Minori Chihara-san (Yuki Nagato)
Yuko Gotou-san (Mikuru Asahina)
Natsuko Kuwatani-san (Ryoko Asakura)
Yuki Matsuoka (Tsuruya-san)

This also confirms that the movie will likely be in the original 24 theatres until the begining of March (barring a decrease in sales of course). There's also a transcript of the stage greeting on the webpage as well, and I'll see if there's any new information that wasn't posted before.

Edit:It's different than the one on dengeki, so this could be the other theatre's report.
Great quote from Sayaka Aoki (Kyon's sister) "I was so happy to see a continuation of Haruhi after Endless Eight'. During the summer I kept having to say 'Kyon-kun denwa' repeatedly, now I get to say "Kyon-kun wake up! Good morning!"
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-02-21 at 10:10.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 10:22   Link #1215
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sunny Singapore
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Stage greetings are starting to be the norm now. Just a few moments ago on the official webpage, there is an announcement that on March 6th at the Keisei Rosa theatre there is yet another stage greeting following a showing of the Haruhi movie. The people that will come out after the movie:

Minori Chihara-san (Yuki Nagato)
Yuko Gotou-san (Mikuru Asahina)
Natsuko Kuwatani-san (Ryoko Asakura)
Yuki Matsuoka (Tsuruya-san)

This also confirms that the movie will likely be in the original 24 theatres until the begining of March (barring a decrease in sales of course). There's also a transcript of the stage greeting on the webpage as well, and I'll see if there's any new information that wasn't posted before.
Very interesting... Any idea if other anime movies use this method to promote the movie, or is it just Haruhi thus far?

While I personally think Minorin is a good enough draw (), it'll be great to see the seiyuus of two pairs of great friends; Mikuru and Tsuruya, along with Yuki and Ryoko. Well, not sure if Ryoko and Yuki are great friends, but... you catch my drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Edit:It's different than the one on dengeki, so this could be the other theatre's report.
Great quote from Sayaka Aoki (Kyon's sister) "I was so happy to see a continuation of Haruhi after Endless Eight'. During the summer I kept having to say 'Kyon-kun denwa' repeatedly, now I get to say "Kyon-kun wake up! Good morning!"
Endless Eight: Even the seiyuus get sick of it.
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 11:45   Link #1216
darksassin
Is this dangerous??
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Unknown Void, M'sia
Luckily each e8 ep made by diff animators.
Btw, how does the disappearance movie performed compared to other anime movie for 3 weeks?
Anyone knows?
__________________
darksassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 12:24   Link #1217
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: a room full of despair
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
Luckily each e8 ep made by diff animators.
Btw, how does the disappearance movie performed compared to other anime movie for 3 weeks?
Anyone knows?
if you are comparing to other anime movies that came recently with it...it blew them out of them water in terms of sales (and maybe quality?) since it debuted at #7 in the box offices while the other movies (Nanoha and Fate) were not even listed.
__________________
HEY GUYS BE NICE AND VISIT MY BLOG WILL YA?
Latest Update:
Spring 2011 Impressions (part1)
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 15:07   Link #1218
thirdlc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
Well, according to the screenshot given, the quality is superb. The soundtrack is great. Idk about the framerate of the movie. does anyone now the fps of the movie?
I heard it's a barrage of on-twos animation. But it's not special for this is a movie. I, for one, don't like throughout on-twos animation, so I hope they made good use of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
Luckily each e8 ep made by diff animators.
Not really. Especially in the first and eighth episodes of E8, the same animators animated the both episodes, and at the eighth episodes, each animators was assigned the same shots they had animated previously at the first episode. On top of that, unlike VAs, it takes weeks or months for animators to deal with one episode.
__________________
Are you going to say "budget"? Wait! Is your point really related to budget? Isn't it time or style?
Simply put, production time is consistency, and budget is framerate.
Even poor animation is costlier than a high-quality still shot.
thirdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 15:17   Link #1219
quigonkenny
Omae wa mou binbou iru...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Osaka raid...
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
I heard it's a barrage of on-twos animation. But it's not special for this is a movie. I, for one, don't like throughout on-twos animation, so I hope they made good use of it.
Please explain for those not experienced in animation terminology.

Not me, of course... ¬_¬
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 16:28   Link #1220
AmyElizzabeth
Moo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Age: 18
Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Please explain for those not experienced in animation terminology.
Agreed, please?
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.