AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-10-08, 20:55   Link #121
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

........Damn, this kills my wishes of getting to see Disappearance when it comes out....now i gotta wait for another goddamn year before any fansubs come out? which just so happens to be the time during which i'll be breaking my brain in an university while being very isolated from anime and manga? oh well, better than nothing, i'll just have to order it when the DVD is released i guess, better to know it'll come out within a given time than not know when it comes out......better to know, yeah i'll just start thinking that way now

what i reeeeeeeally wanna see right now though is the goddamn 10th volume....damn, i need to know!!!!!
Tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 21:02   Link #122
Suika-Esper
Sage Mode

I'm just happy they're doing it and that this time they just came right out and said it. Remember back when the second season wasn't confirmed and we were all going nuts trying to figure out all the clues and find out whether they would go through with it or not or if they were just yanking our chain?
Old 2009-10-08, 21:18   Link #123
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

unlike most of you though, i've only been waiting for 2 years....i was already in the middle of the 9th volume when i finally started watching the anime.....it was some time later that i found out they canceled though

in that sense, i've been lucky compared to the rest of ya
Tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 21:24   Link #124
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
How so? Instead of a full season, we get an hour and a half, and absolutely no idea when other new material will get animated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
Really, the only differences between six episodes and a two hour movie are the fact that the movie would have a higher budget and would be more tightly tuned to keep the story flowing cohesively, rather than cutting things up into distinct segments.
BUT... don't you agree that for Disappearance particularly, a movie is better suited?
If this was a TV series, the weekly wait between each epsiode will totally kill the suspense from the last episode. Unlike Melancholy where each chapter can pretty much sort of be self-contained, this coming arc IMO is the kind that is best enjoyed in one single ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
Assuming a new season is made following the movie, how many series have had movies that take place in between seasons? And I mean movies that you have to watch before watching the following season(s).
I'm sure there are more, but there's one I can think of off the top of my head... Initial D.
Third stage was a movie that was a prerequisite for the the next season.
... Speaking of Inital D, I wonder if we're gonna see some Inital D-like cgi when they get around to animating
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Absolutely not please. Like I said and I believe Triple_R agreed with me, enough with the gimmicks, let's just do proper quality adaptations of the core source material like the company is supposedly known for being the king of. A back to the basics approach that made the franchise successful in the first place would mean no mining the doujin market and selling it back to fans, which basically also means no more Haruhi-Chan, Churuya-Chan or any Kyonko like ideas for the time being.
LOL now that you mention it, I TOTALLY won't be supprised if they do a Haruhi-chan 2 shortly after this movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFumo View Post
Which reminds me of Full Metal Panic. What's it been, 4 years since the last series?
I haven't read the novels myself, but I did read somewhere that all the volumes after TSR, end on a cliff hanger and makes animating it a little difficult.
Head to the Full Metal Panic forums for more details.

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 21:32   Link #125
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Oh, absolutely, Trueno. Haha, I realized afterward that wasn't the clearest impact statement, just a pair of claims. That the movie ought to be superior is what I was driving at.

Personally, I feel like Disappearance is one of the stories best suited for a movie out of all the novels so far. Exceptional gravitas and due to the nature of the situation, it lends itself better to being a single cohesive whole and a stand-alone, as your required foreknowledge of the specifics of the series--at least to really enjoy it--is pretty minimal. All you really need to know are the very basics.
Ricky Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 21:42   Link #126
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

@NHA: I was meaning to ask you, since I'm insatiably curious about diverging opinions: what exactly is it about the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise that makes you feel it doesn't qualify to be a 'good' movie by the standards that entails for you?
Ricky Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 21:44   Link #127
Siggrodoth

I looked forward to the pacing of that arc being:

Spoiler:

I couldn't say how I'd like pacing to be beyond this part, but it kind of saddens me this will not be the case.

But hey, chances are it won't take around six hours to wrap up, unlike THAT other storyline... And also, they MUST keep
Spoiler:
Siggrodoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 22:24   Link #128
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

This is unexpected to say the least. Just a normal routine of browsing the forums and I come across this announcement.
Old 2009-10-08, 22:25   Link #129
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
@NHA: I was meaning to ask you, since I'm insatiably curious about diverging opinions: what exactly is it about the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise that makes you feel it doesn't qualify to be a 'good' movie by the standards that entails for you?
Quote:
I'm a purist when it comes to cinema, and I don't believe that Haruhi is "serious business" enough to be a good movie; it'll just be another mediocre piece of shit plaguing theaters. I believe that the only movies worth two shakes of piss are good movies, and I just don't see Haruhi winning an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.
If you couldn't already tell from my previous post (part of which is quoted for your convenience), I have ridiculously high standards for films. The only movies that are worth my time are good movies (Oscar material), pure comedies, and cult classic material (Fight Club, etc.); Haruhi isn't a pure comedy, it doesn't have the makings of a cult classic, and--like I've said before--it's probably not going to be winning any Oscars.

I'm not saying the Haruhi franchise is necessarily bad (Hell, I'm posting in this thread, right?), but if you feel that Tanigawa is on the same level as Hemingway or that whoever's directing the movie is the next Kubrick, then you've got another thing coming.
Old 2009-10-08, 23:34   Link #130
dnab
anime berkeley

The timing of the movie announcement was utterly .... predictable, even "boring" by Haruhi's own standards. It's the only way for KyoAni to rationalize Endless 8. But you'd figure they'd make the announcement a bit earlier (like 2 weeks ago) to couple with some substantive promos (like actual novel #10 release) and an original material episode. Not much to ask given the length of time and massive fan abuse Kadokawa dished out. But noooo~~~~ Haruhism shall now forever be linked to slow, relentless, haunting pain.
dnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 23:37   Link #131
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post

I'm not saying the Haruhi franchise is necessarily bad (Hell, I'm posting in this thread, right?), but if you feel that Tanigawa is on the same level as Hemingway or that whoever's directing the movie is the next Kubrick, then you've got another thing coming.
I don't think anybody is comparing Tanigawa to the masters here.... I mean I don't think anybody really expects Haruhi to be anything other than just a movie even though it can seem at times like some of the more die hard fans can get a little overexcited with the hype and what not.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 23:39   Link #132
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

No, because that much is obvious and I was just driving my point home. Thank you for taking it literally. On the internet.

Last edited by Nappy Hared Azn; 2009-10-09 at 00:02.
Nappy Hared Azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 23:52   Link #133
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
The timing of the movie announcement was utterly .... predictable, even "boring" by Haruhi's own standards. It's the only way for KyoAni to rationalize Endless 8. But you'd figure they'd make the announcement a bit earlier (like 2 weeks ago) to couple with some substantive promos (like actual novel #10 release) and an original material episode. Not much to ask given the length of time and massive fan abuse Kadokawa dished out. But noooo~~~~ Haruhism shall now forever be linked to slow, relentless, haunting pain.
Why didn't you tell us a movie was coming out?
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 23:53   Link #134
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Spoiler for yo:

Spoiler for mahr esponsee:
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 00:07   Link #135
Kyanme
suzuya_luvrx666

Send a message via AIM to Kyanme Send a message via MSN to Kyanme
A MOVIE?

Not sure if want. I was dying during Rebuild 2.0 (and then my precious asuka ;_; ) Plus the wait for subs... gah. Heck, did I even see 2.0 with subs? I think I gave up waiting after a month.

I guess movie!Disappearance is better than no Disapperance.

Although I might have to try to go move in with Grannie with week to see a giant Ryoko before me... Mmm, yes...

tumblr | i don't have any other links to post here, whoops
Kyanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 00:22   Link #136
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Following the last episode - Someday in the Rain - of the Haruhi Suzumiya renewal season, Kadokawa and Kyoto Animation announced that a Haruhi movie will be released in theaters this Spring 2010. Details are sparse on the production but the movie is to be based on 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' arc from the fourth novel which follows the Brigade in a "Haruhi-less world of normalcy".

Hijacked from Raz at figure.fm via ANN.

Much better than waiting for December 18 XD

And the prophecy came true... the episode did "Di-" ah forget that crappy joke...

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 00:38   Link #137
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I'm interested in how doing it as a movie changes the perspective of the story.

When told in conjunction with the follow ups and so forth, Disappearance is a moving development of Kyon's character, and an affirmation of his affection for the SOS brigade and the crazy antics of Haruhi Suzumiya.

As a stand alone story however, I think it changes to become a tragic story of Yuki Nagato's rejected attempt at achieving humanity. The advertisements seem to be swinging this way too.

Not to mention it will be interesting as to how they handle the conclusion, will they leave it as the deliberate confusing end with dangling plot threads that it is in the book (so that it can be cleared up later in the 3rd season?) Or will they splice on the final conclusion right away?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 00:40   Link #138
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Much better than waiting for December 18 XD
That "December 18" was I think just some fan's speculation about when the DVD for this movie could possibly be released, since most English fans will only see this once the DVD comes out. Certainly, it will be out in Japanese theatres before then.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 00:46   Link #139
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It really does more than you can possibly imagine...at least for me.
I'm actually finding myself pleasantly stunned by this news. I guess that my view of Kadokawa/KyoAni had plummeted to such depths that getting Disappearance at all, even in a movie airing later than what I would have thought (if they were to go the movie route), is a very pleasant piece of news to me.

It's like watching my favorite hockey team pull off a startling victory over the top team in the league, and after starting the year 0-8.

Of course, whether or not my favorite hockey team could parlay that into a comeback season remains to be scene... likewise, it remains to be scene if KyoAni/Kadokawa can parlay this into an enjoyable, and a healthy, and revived, and renowned, and surging in popularity Haruhi franchise.

But hey, given that I can be a hopeful Montreal Canadiens fan after the disappointment they've put me through, I can certainly do the same for Haruhi.

Quote:
I'm looking for honest to god effort at making something interesting to watch and hear instead of just more pandering to the core moe otaku fanbase in Japan and a reliance on viral marketing and hype as usual. If this movie has some actual effort outside of the occasional glamour shot then I'll be willing to go back to the status quo and actually have expectations for works coming out of Kyoani.
Truthfully, Disappearance probably doesn't lend itself to a lot of pandering to the core moe otaku fanbase. The story doesn't lend itself to simply "putting these characters on parade", as you would say (and rightly so, as it pertains to E8, I'll admit).

Quote:

If they can't do something as simple as that then........well..........
Yeah, they have to deliver something good here with this movie.

As long as KyoAni genuinely tries its best, and just does a basic straight-up adaptation with this movie... it'll be very good, if not great or terrific.

The fact that they've dropped the numerology gimmickry by airing this in Spring (instead of in Winter) is a good omen to me, in that regard. It could be a sign that they're taking this project very seriously, and it's going to be about high quality content and not about sacrificing such content on the alter of metacommentary.

Quote:

Anyway to be a little more positive I guess I can say that as bland as the teaser trailer is it's decidely non-bullshit advertising so that's already a start in the right direction.....I guess. It doesn't get me excited, but it doesn't put me off immediately either and actually has me awaiting another trailer to see what the deal is. How almost normal of them......
I pretty much agree. Where I disagree a bit with you, is that I think that this is a good opening teaser trailer for this movie. I hope for a more in-depth "bells and whistles" trailer in two or three months time, but this opening teaser trailer is a good way to wet the appetite of fans for more. And, if nothing else, it shows good artwork quality.

Quote:
Absolutely not please. Like I said and I believe Triple_R agreed with me, enough with the gimmicks, let's just do proper quality adaptations of the core source material like the company is supposedly known for being the king of.
AMEN.

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree.

Quote:
A back to the basics approach that made the franchise successful in the first place would mean no mining the doujin market and selling it back to fans, which basically also means no more Haruhi-Chan, Churuya-Chan or any Kyonko like ideas for the time being. I know they said they think that Haruhi can be a meta-franchise like Gundam and transcend the otaku subculture, but they can't rush something like that like they've been trying to do.
Haruhi, I think, can transcend the otaku subculture... but, obviously, you don't do that by pandering to the otaku subculture itself. You do a straight-up, back to basics approach that just tries to produce something of overall high quality that even your most casual anime fan could look at and say "Hey, that looks cool. I think I'll check it out!"

Quote:
If they want another shot at the mainstream then they ought to reestablish the base of the core franchise before they expand, otherwise it will all collapse on them very rapidly again for all but the die hard core fanbase.....viral marketing and gimmickery or not.
Agreed.

Overall, I'm really glad about this news. I'd prefer an announcement of a true Season 2 next year (one including Disappearance), but this is still good news. The fact that it's a movie pretty much guarantees high production values. At the absolute least, it should have awesome artwork and animation, at least up to the par of the final two episodes of Sighs.
Old 2009-10-09, 00:53   Link #140
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
It's like watching my favorite hockey team pull off a startling victory over the top team in the league, and after starting the year 0-8.
I just recently realized that the sports score joke (8-0) was used at the very first scene in the very first episode of Endless Eight.

They warned us.

Speaking of things, another reason they didn't give Endless Eight much budget might be that they planned this endeavor all along and never even expected Endless Eight to sell good.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, shounen