AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-05-24, 19:54   Link #1501
Airman8
Helvetica Standard

I'd love a chance to see the Haruhi movie in a theatre with a bunch of other fans and I'd fully excpect them to make some noise during the film. Seeing the rerelease of the original Star Wars films was amazing just for that reason. People went nuts when Darth Vader appeared on screen for the first time, haha! When I saw a midnight showing of Watchmen it was the same thing. People had a great time with it and to me it added a lot to the atmosphere. I'm with RockmanX, if you want a silent viewing experience don't go to a special US premier with a bunch of excited fans. Stay home and watch it on your big screen TV.
Airman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 22:47   Link #1502
Kyanme
suzuya_luvrx666

Send a message via AIM to Kyanme Send a message via MSN to Kyanme
Have any of you been to the premiere of... anything?

I mean, I have actually heard the crowd was really tame for the showings. Saying inappropriate things, laughing at inappropriate spots; that kind of comes with going to see a movie. Granted, I live in Sacramento, which is kind of a crappy town, so maybe movie-going ettiquette is different in other towns. But when I saw one of the Harry Potter movies on opening night, people were dressed up and shouting and wolf-whistling and all that jazz. It was the same with Twilight and New Moon (shut up my mother loves that series damn it), just uhhh, a lot more loud because the boys take their shirts off more often. Iron Man, Pirates of The Carribean: At World's End, Spider Man, all of those had at least some noise going on during the movie. Excited fans will be excited fans. They can be loud and obnoxious or quiet and unobtrusive. That's just how it goes.

This is also in the same vein as a con: people are excited, meeting other fans, there's a sense of unity, in a way, they're meeting their online friends for the first time-- there's a lot going on in that venue.

tl;dr: DO NOT GO EXPECTING ABSOLUTE SILENCE. Go expecting a good movie and some fans being fans. Don't be afraid to lean over and politely ask them to talk lower if it bothers you so much. Yeah, it might be a bit rude but you're paying as much as them to watch the movie. Assert that. Chances are, they'll apologize and realize they wouldn't like someone talking while they're watching a movie either.

On that note, for people who have been to more than one showing: has attendance gone down at all? I'm an hour's car drive away from San Francisco and been meaning to go there anyways, but I'm a young teenage girl trying to go alone or just with my younger brother. The deader the place is, the better. I can't see attendance going down for the entire time the movie's showing but maybe I'm wrong? Hopefully.

tumblr | i don't have any other links to post here, whoops
Kyanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 22:49   Link #1503
Clarste
Human

It was sold out on the first day, but when I went on the second day it was only about half-full. I haven't been there again, but it's certainly not completely packed anymore.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 23:08   Link #1504
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

You guys that live near SanFran....so effen lucky.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
TheHaruhiIncarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 23:15   Link #1505
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
Anyway, if you live within 3 hours of the theater that's showing Haruhi (for only a week, I believe), see it! The sub quality was actually very good. It's on par with the a.f.k. subs, even going as far as to insert relevant phrases such as "kit-'n-kaboodle" in just the right spots.
Thanks for the compliment! <- The translator.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 23:17   Link #1506
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Thanks fop everything, man.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
TheHaruhiIncarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 23:52   Link #1507
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Oh really? Yay, I've got someone to complain to! Just kidding.

Actually I was kind of wondering about the decision to leave "yuki" completely without a subtitle. I thought that was an interesting choice. What kind of thought process went into that, and how do you feel about the people who wouldn't get it at all?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 00:23   Link #1508
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yea the subs were pretty good. Funny that they left "moe" in there.

The only complaint I had was that the subs were in white, and would frequently blend in with the bg.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 00:42   Link #1509
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Yea the subs were pretty good. Funny that they left "moe" in there.

The only complaint I had was that the subs were in white, and would frequently blend in with the bg.
That was a limitation of the technology used to actually burn them into the film, I think.

Anyway, styling choices weren't really up to me, that was the film studio that did the final film prints.
Old 2010-05-25, 00:45   Link #1510
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
That was a limitation of the technology used to actually burn them into the film, I think.

Anyway, styling choices weren't really up to me, that was the film studio that did the final film prints.
Yea I know, but the subs were done well, and that's really the important part.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 00:47   Link #1511
baltakatei

Quote:

Will we be seeing those subs on the DVD/Blu-ray releases? I'd hate to see them downgraded to those generic yellow subs that past DVDs contained.
Old 2010-05-25, 00:51   Link #1512
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Oh really? Yay, I've got someone to complain to! Just kidding.

Actually I was kind of wondering about the decision to leave "yuki" completely without a subtitle. I thought that was an interesting choice. What kind of thought process went into that, and how do you feel about the people who wouldn't get it at all?
I discussed that at length with Kadokawa, and leaving it unsubbed was the "best choice" in my opinion.

I looked at all 3 "normal" choices and all had some drawback...

1: Subtitle it "Yuki" or "snow" -> Doesn't maintain the purposeful ambiguity in the original. Could be interpreted by certain fans as an official "endorsement" of one interpretation over the other. Fans who are looking forward to the scene might be confused.

2: Subtitle it with _both_ in some way, like"Yuki/snow" -> Eww. Would confuse anyone who didn't know that yuki meant snow.

3: Subtitle it with "Yuki" or "snow" with a note on the screen explaining the double meaning. Notes during theatrical showings of movies are extremely rare, and in such an emotional scene would seriously hurt the mood.

Considering all 3 of those options are crappy in some way, it came to me that leaving it _unsubbed_ might actually be the best choice.

Unsubbed, how would people react?

First, the one word, "yuki" is clearly heard and won't be missed by anyone paying attention.

1. The hard core haruhi fan that's read the novel or watched the movie in _some other way_ first would know this scene is coming, and understand why it was left unsubbed.
2. The person who has no idea that yuki means snow will just think that Kyon is calling yuki's name. This person will also likely not realize the significance of him using her first name either, but if they do, bonus.

In other words, leaving it unsubbed will confuse almost no-one, and provides the best "experience" for the true fan.
The only down side is that some people might think leaving out the sub was a mistake. Perhaps then they'll ask their friend who would explain it to them afterwards... That'd be my hope.
Old 2010-05-25, 00:55   Link #1513
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
Will we be seeing those subs on the DVD/Blu-ray releases? I'd hate to see them downgraded to those generic yellow subs that past DVDs contained.
DVD and blu-ray subtitles are a completely different technology than the subtitles you saw on the film.

The subtitles on the film are actually _burned into the physical 35mm film_ using lasers. Well, at least it was called "laser printing" or something.
I suspect there might be only 1 subtitled film roll in existence...

DVD and blu-ray subtitles are separate sequences of bmp pictures (4 colors for DVD and 128 for blu-ray, approx) that are overlayed on the video during playback by the DVD or blu-ray player.

So colors/font choice/styling for the bandai release is entirely up to the DVD authoring house.
Old 2010-05-26, 02:21   Link #1514
silvita
Code Monkey

Send a message via MSN to silvita
bit late on this one i suppose.... I'm one of the crazies that traveled quite the distance to see the flick. The guy from Reno to be percise. I mean the scene there Yuki basicly chokes back tears and about collapses is a heart renching moment. You'd have to be a cold hearted bastard to not burt

But like it's been said it's cultural differances, I know why both do what they do, but honestly idk if i could be dead silent for some of the scenes.

Well thats enough out of me back to lurking cave........
silvita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 12:23   Link #1515
s07195
Distracted

Wait...there was an a.f.k. sub?! Where?

s07195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 12:37   Link #1516
CrowKenobi

There wasn't. The poster was complimenting the translator (Quarkboy) on the quality of the translation.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 20:23   Link #1517
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
So, who's going to LA on June 24th?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJywmP4VPpo

darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 20:38   Link #1518
netvope
SOS-Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post

Hmmm... I think I will
netvope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 21:00   Link #1519
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post

And with that announcement Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu will be shown in its 101st theatre this year. (With help from a couple one night only specials) Not too bad for a film starting with only 24 theatres showing it. (Note: Cinema City showed it at both locations, starting with Cinema City Two from 2/6-3/19 and then at Cinema City's main theatre from 3/20-4/2. Since they are pretty much the same theatre, I've only included it once on the list.)

Edit: From ANN, there will be more novel/manga/Crunchyroll giveaways and you'll get to meet the voice actress for Mikuru, Stephanie Sheh. There may or may not be more people there. Cristina Vee will sing again, and everyone should have a good time overall. Oh, and get your tickets as they (supposedly) go on sale.....today?

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-06-01 at 21:23.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-02, 02:07   Link #1520
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Are there any theatres showing it around Portland, Oregon from start to mid-August by any chance?

I might not even get the chance to see it, but if I could, I certainly want to be prepared.

↑Click for MAL.↑
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, shounen